Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

tu quoque

No danger you're going to get to say, an English sentence on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

is_that_so wrote: »
    No danger you're going to get to say, an English sentence on this?

He’s using a fancy term he doesn’t even know the meaning of. Leave him off, he’ll be in bed by 9,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Dickheads sitting on the road at Merrion Sq causing havoc for commuters. Seen a 2 vans lined up on Westland Row with what looked to be heavies in black. Hope they drag the crusties off the road. Climate change is real but this is not the way to protest.

The army tanks should be sent in to roll over them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ok they don't exploit their staff. Still massive polluters though.

Your claim was not that they exploit their staff you claimed they exploited the people who manufactured the products. They are massive polluters, evidence please. Not guesswork or as you already did baseless allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,303 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

They army tanks should be sent in to roll over them

Bit much

I’m in favor of disruption for private cars nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

So we can keep increasing the herd while improving biodiversity? Can you back up that human soy thing too?

You see that's the point where I call that whatever you're pushing - propaganda. I posted a detailed reply to that before and yet here we are with the same nonsense. Why is that?
    Not only repeating the very same question again and again and again - you are now apparently making things up ...

According to the CSO there were approx 6.5 million cattle as of December 2018. Down from 2017 and even less than (the number of cattle in) 1973 when Ireland joined the EU.

https://www.cso.ie/en/...ksurveydecember2018/

So no we do not "keep increasing the herd". It's decreasing and more importantly - number wise the biggest change on this island is the number of humans which has increased by over a third since we joined the EU.

We farm livestock here because grass is the most successful crop cover for our topography and climatic conditions.

Do we need to support farming? Yes we do. It feeds people. Sometimes it takes others to recognise the value of what we have when Ireland is recognised as the world leader in food security.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-food-security/

Amazing you have no thought for that. But hey fuk that - let's all just import highly processed fake meat and avocados with massive food miles. That will teach those farmers eh?

And just like the cattle numbers that have been detailed for you many times - so have the figures for soy. The small amount of supplementary animal food containing soy is derived primarily from the by-products of soy oil industry. But you know that already.

Private jets, private cars, all justifiable targets at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

For someone else obviously, you’ll just sent your thoughts and prayers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Did you fail your driving test again?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I heard today the Government sold e1.5 billion in green bonds, where the money raised must be spent on green issues.

And apparently it's the 2nd such sale recently.

Good to see.

I always wondered why the Dublin mountains aren't covered in wind turbines to help power the city.

• Advertisement

The dublin/Wicklow mountains are primed for turbines as is the sea off the west coast. Huge untapped green energy potential there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The dublin/Wicklow mountains are primed for turbines as is the sea off the west coast. Huge untapped green energy potential there.

And what about Dublin Bay? https://dublinarray.com/

Wouldn't that be good enough? Or is that too close for residents of the capital? Might interfere with the view and/or reduce property prices in Dalkey?

Anyone know if there are any wind farm plans for the mountains?

It's a no brainer surely.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    And what about Dublin Bay? https://dublinarray.com/

Wouldn't that be good enough? Or is that too close for residents of the capital? Might interfere with the view and/or reduce property prices in Dalkey?

All for it. That clean green wind energy is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

NIMAN wrote: »

It's a no brainer.

I can’t understand the constant opposition to wind farms.
    They are a perfect renewable energy and if sufficient numbers are spread evenly across the country then peaks and troughs in supply can Be minimised

They can just be screwed apart and the sites covered again should we ever have a better alternative.

I think it's another example of nimbyism.

People love the idea of them, as long as they ain't in their line of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Targetting fast fashion now.

Yet if we were all walking around in Gucci/Armani/Versace suits, they'd find reason to protest that too. I'm sure the production of them is entirely virtuous and above board.

I tell ya what. If a crowd of protestors entered my business premises during opening hours, it wouldn't take me long to use force. Then again, I say a lot of them don't know what's its like to have to actually work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's a no brainer surely.

Mountains not always the best place for wind farms. When winds are too high - turbines have be turned off due to the risk of the motors burning out. Access costs and environmental impacts are greater than lowland sites. Transmission losses of electricity over distance can also be significant.

Best place I've seem suggested for wind turbines is along motorways (situated alongside but away from the roadway itself). State owned, easy access and plenty of them close to urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

_Brian wrote: »
    I can’t understand the constant opposition to wind farms.
    They are a perfect renewable energy and if sufficient numbers are spread evenly across the country then peaks and troughs in supply can Be minimised

They can just be screwed apart and the sites covered again should we ever have a better alternative.
    true that the energy is renewable but the wind turbine themselves are not carbon neutral and with some using sf6 gas in them are damaging to the environment due to leaks.

Yeah but since you are available to protest on the weekend it's safe to use them Monday to Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Jeff2

People should have an issue with Penney's, it's grotesque the amount of crap they produce, that no one really needs. Poor old billionaire polluting Penney's having to put up with a few kids protesting. Yeah get the police to smash up their faces.

Penny's sell clothes as for as I know and people need clothes.

Half mine I bought there and I'v not been there in about 3 years. Some are up 10 years old.

It did make me laugh people posting about Penny's and fashion. :D

Yeah but since you are available to protest on the weekend it's safe to use them Monday to Friday.

I support the protests 24/7 , so not really ...

They won't turn on the likes of Primark and Dunnes for selling cheap clothes.

That will affect the common man and woman in the street. That's not their target.

That will affect the common man and woman in the street. That's not their target.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Don't Primark own Penney's?

In your own words you are only available to participate on a Saturday ( not important enough to miss work)maybe Sunday. Weekend (eco) warrior bit like the old FCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

they already have, they were protesting inside pennys

They were in Pennys today on Henry Street protesting and screeching threw a megaphone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

You support it 24/7 but cannot be arsed actually going to it, and plan to take your kids to meet them on the weekend like its a trip to the zoo.

You also want to ban private cars and air travel, you must live in Dublin and don't travel very far.

Advertisement