Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The cheap on a whim frivolous flights have had their innings. Tax the airport the carriers and the tickets to the hilt. And use the taxation to look into zero Carbon innovations

Genius suggestion for an island nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/kiribati/9127576/Entire-nation-of-Kiribati-to-be-relocated-over-rising-sea-level-threat.html

Some of Kiribati's 32 pancake-flat coral atolls, which straddle the equator over 1,350,000 square miles of ocean, are already disappearing beneath the waves.

Most of its 113,000 people are crammed on to Tarawa, the administrative centre, a chain of islets which curve in a horseshoe shape around a lagoon.

"This is the last resort, there's no way out of this one," Mr Tong said.

"Our people will have to move as the tides have reached our homes and villages."

Viva Doggerland! It's been 10,000 years but we will never forget..

Anyway, on a different note, I have reformed my wicked ways and become truly concerned! The Animal Extinction branch of XR (Blessed be its Holy Name) occupied the Meat Market in London and put vegetables everywhere. :eek: And I am truly concerned that this young lady protesting and simultaneously eyeing up a glass of wine (Bravo Child! well, unless it's beetroot juice in which case blechhhh..) is going to get a terrible chesty cough :(

19431892-7549275-image-a-22_1570520547774.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As I’ve said on other threads 90 percent of business meetings can be done through a new amazing technology called Skype(!) or phone calls.

For holidays - this is non essential travel - discretionary - green levy on all holiday flights. Encourage ppl to do eco tourism within Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,926 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A friend i met here today took a train all the way back to Arnhem in Holland today. Must be great to live on such a rail network.

As I’ve said on other threads 90 percent of business meetings can be done through a new amazing technology called Skype(!) or phone calls.
    Face to face always has been and always will be better
    For holidays - this is non essential travel - discretionary - green levy on all holiday flights. Encourage ppl to do eco tourism within Ireland.
    So I go to a friend's funeral in the Costa del Sol, just need a funeral notice. Sorted. You mean force people to holiday in Ireland. Sooner stay at home thanks, just what leisure providers want a captive market. Cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So I go to a friend's funeral in the Costa del Sol, just need a funeral notice. Sorted. You mean force people to holiday in Ireland. Sooner stay at home thanks, just what leisure providers want a captive market. Cop on.

In fairness current flight costs in no way reflect their environmental impact. €20 onto every seat wouldn’t stop holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Caravan in Bundoran so. Too extravagant for you I'd say you probably want the stone age experience without the fire. Hardship holidays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Zorya wrote: »
    Viva Doggerland! It's been 10,000 years but we will never forget..

Anyway, on a different note, I have reformed my wicked ways and become truly concerned! The Animal Extinction branch of XR (Blessed be its Holy Name) occupied the Meat Market in London and put vegetables everywhere. :eek: And I am truly concerned that this young lady protesting and simultaneously eyeing up a glass of wine (Bravo Child! well, unless it's beetroot juice in which case blechhhh..) is going to get a terrible chesty cough :(

19431892-7549275-image-a-22_1570520547774.jpg

Ironically, most of what they are wearing and the tents, were made in sweatshops in the developing world by men, women and children who are paid a few pence a day, who've never had an education and who are trapped in a cycle of poverty and illiteracy that will snare their children and grandchildren in order that people in other countries can have cheap disposable clothing, the likes of Penneys and Dunnes spring to mind but companies like NIKE are equally guilty.

That's something that can be changed but that's not sexy to these slacktivists. Maybe Greta could look into the children in those countries being deprived of their childhoods instead of whinging about her own neurotic childhood and attention seeking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

blueshade wrote: »
    Ironically, most of what they are wearing and the tents, were made in sweatshops in the developing world by men, women and children who are paid a few pence a day, who've never had an education and who are trapped in a cycle of poverty and illiteracy that will snare their children and grandchildren in order that people in other countries can have cheap disposable clothing, the likes of Penneys and Dunnes spring to mind but companies like NIKE are equally guilty.

That's something that can be changed but that's not sexy to these slacktivists. Maybe Greta could look into the children in those countries being deprived of their childhoods instead of whinging about her own neurotic childhood and attention seeking.

Yuh huh, but shush now man, you will ruin the vibe.

As someone said these people are telling 3 billion others who use the same amount of electricity in a day as the activists fridges to buckle up and tighten their belts. A kick in the hole would serve them well.

Caravan in Bundoran so. Too extravagant for you I'd say you probably want the stone age experience without the fire. Hardship holidays.

I’d rather ppl holiday at home on this wonderful island rather than add yet more emissions to the atmosphere when it is already at crisis levels

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

moonage wrote: »
    Global Disaster in 11 years?

Where have we heard that before?

1989-un-predicts-disaster-if-global-warming-unchecked.jpg
    Its a sort of Ponzi Tax Fraud .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Someone was listening to Paschal Donohue on Newstalk...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I’d rather ppl holiday at home on this wonderful island rather than add yet more emissions to the atmosphere when it is already at crisis levels

How long have you been so climate conscious?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    How long have you been so climate conscious?

Years to be honest. Turn of the millennium I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Years to be honest. Turn of the millennium I suppose.

Fair play to you.

Have you considered doing a podcast? Maybe team up with Jamie Heaslip?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Fair play to you.

Have you considered doing a podcast? Maybe team up with Jamie Heaslip?

You’ve been reading my rugby contributions I suspect haha

lleti wrote: »
    Someone was listening to Paschal Donohue on Newstalk...

Imagine two people sharing the same opinion....shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Imagine two people sharing the same opinion....shocking.

I doubt Pascal goes to leitrim to stay in a glorified shed and sh!t in a bucket full of sawdust.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,089 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

What time is their concert kicking off at tonight?

I think the gardaí should show the same force as their London counterparts by arresting a few of the more disruptive protesters. Crowd of insufferables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

The cheap on a whim frivolous flights have had their innings. Tax the airport the carriers and the tickets to the hilt. And use the taxation to look into zero Carbon innovations

Living on an island on the edge of Europe our options are more limited, if I lived on mainland Europe I'd be using trains much more, there's no excuse for the dozens, if not hundreds of air routes that would be quicker to travel by train, particularly when you factor in the amount of time getting to an airport at least an hour minimum before a flight and the security involve, for examples it's possible to fly from Naples to Rome, a high speed train does the same journey centre to centre in an hour, Munich to Frankfurt, Brussels to Paris, Vienna to Budapest, even London to Paris is quicker by train, the list goes on and on, why are people continuing to fly on these routes?

• Advertisement

High speed trains in europe and flights between big cities should really be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Only people who support these people are marxists

blueshade wrote: »

I suppose you only buy second hand clothes or eco friendly ones or as you as guilty as the people who want these systems to change? How about we are all just assigned a set of clothes every year by the government or would that be too commie for you? I love how you all love to point out hypocrisies but scoff at any other ideas. Personally i wouldnt care if we all wore potato sacks, but if i tried that alone id be ostracised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I had a mosey down to Merrion Square at about 8 tonight to see for myself-imagine a 2FM Beat on the Street somewhere in Carlow featuring a 3rd-rate Levellers cover band playing to an audience of kids who smoked their first joint last week dressed in half hiking gear, half sh1te from Tambuli in Temple Bar.
    Just a sad, meaningless, pointless parody...

sabat wrote: »
    I had a mosey down to Merrion Square at about 8 tonight to see for myself-imagine a 2FM Beat on the Street somewhere in Carlow featuring a 3rd-rate Levellers cover band playing to an audience of kids who smoked their first joint last week dressed in half hiking gear, half sh1te from Tambuli in Temple Bar.
    Just a sad, meaningless, pointless parody...
    8pm?

They were on Kildare Street at 8pm. I know because I was in the crowd. Full of good humour, music and, most importantly, an emphasis on the need to maintain pressure on politicians. Probably one of the most uplifting protests I've ever witnessed. Even the Guards were in good humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

In fairness, a protest isn’t all that effective unless it causes disruption and gets media coverage.

If you believe in something strongly enough and want to make a difference, getting involved in a protest is a good way to make your voice heard. I’ve been to quite a few myself over the years.

My bus was running about 5 mins late because it had to make diversion due to the protest. Do I therefore think all the protestors should be rounded up and shot? No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

8pm?

They were on Kildare Street at 8pm.

8.25? Does my story add up now Inspector?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,257 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

sabat wrote: »
    8.25? Does my story add up now Inspector?

Probably best to use facts instead of fairy tales for it to add up honestly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Anyway maybe taught these climate scientists are just earning a crust so cant say anything different. Probably get back handers off electric car manufacturers. I think is all nonsense.

Advertisement