Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying options (post Brexit)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nicks delight

Homelander wrote: »
    I've tried a few things and on all items that are around the same price as that screenshot (£130) there is another £28 in import fees, even items sold directly by Amazon themselves.

Tried 2 processors and two boards.

Also tried OCUK and got a message "Items cannot be shipped to this address".

Same for me....One seller on Amazon UK could send me DDR4 2X16 GB AND ALSO 2X8 GB Ram Corsair (or something like that) memory, but could not send me 2x32 GB memory of the same brand even if they were in stock. That is just weird as they more or less weigh the same and are the same size.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Same for me....One seller on Amazon UK could send me DDR4 2X16 GB AND ALSO 2X8 GB Ram Corsair (or something like that) memory, but could not send me 2x32 GB memory of the same brand even if they were in stock. That is just weird as they more or less weigh the same and are the same size.:)

And why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Pangea wrote: »
    And why is that?
    At a guess, they aren't prepared for Brexit yet. They may be registered in UK, but as a seller on Amazon platform they may have to pay their own taxes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Pompous

Just received an email from currys.ie to say their RTX3070 is back in stock. I checked the website to see it's not only sold out again but they raised the price from €650 to €720.

And here I thought the scalpers on adverts.ie were bad...

Pompous wrote: »
    Just received an email from currys.ie to say their RTX3070 is back in stock. I checked the website to see it's not only sold out again but they raised the price from €650 to €720.

And here I thought the scalpers on adverts.ie were bad...

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3603135/more-graphics-card-makers-roll-out-significant-price-hikes.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Pompous

€650 was already a pretty big hike by currys on the $500 (€420) release price.

Pompous wrote: »
    €650 was already a pretty big hike by currys on the $500 (€420) release price.

I...well...uhmm....so I'm still not getting why we are paying more in Europe as we are already paying tax on these goods and have done all along. US on the other hand have not paid tax on Chinese products (until now), so I can understand why Americans pay a higher price now. The cards are coming from China. Sure looks like Currys in EU/UK became a Scalper.

Not surprised really...oh, the wind is blowing from the left today, we have to increase the prices....next day....from the right...increase prices. Hard times, the wind is not blowing at all today....oh, then we have to implement an emergency noblow tax. lol

Pccomponentes.com had the MSI RTX3070 for €560 fairly recently. I am pretty sure they deliver to Ireland. It was a long time ago that I think I used them but I am almost 100% it was them. I saw the offer on Telegram but can't find it now. I think it was €550 + shipping. Might be worth looking if Currys are asking €720.

EDIT -

Out of stock at minute - https://www.pccomponentes.com/msi-geforce-rtx-3070-ventus-3x-oc-8gb-gddr6

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

But those are tariffs IN AMERICA.
    They're not supposed to affect us here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Suckit wrote: »
    Pccomponentes.com had the MSI RTX3070 for €560 fairly recently. I am pretty sure they deliver to Ireland. It was a long time ago that I think I used them but I am almost 100% it was them. I saw the offer on Telegram but can't find it now. I think it was €550 + shipping. Might be worth looking if Currys are asking €720.

EDIT -

Out of stock at minute - https://www.pccomponentes.com/msi-geforce-rtx-3070-ventus-3x-oc-8gb-gddr6

Dont waste your time trying on this site. I tried to order something in stock and at checkout wouldn't let me pay even though accepting my irish address and gave shipping option. There was some covid excuse apologising.

• Advertisement

spix wrote: »
    Dont waste your time trying on this site. I tried to order something in stock and at checkout wouldn't let me pay even though accepting my irish address and gave shipping option. There was some covid excuse apologising.
    It's not in stock anyway.
    I just checked, and when I last bought from them was late November 2017, so three ish years ago.
    Maybe they did have covid issues when you ordered. I know that currently Spanish shipping has been massively delayed due to snow and the weather as well.

There is also this option, I've never tried them before but it's most likely to be less than €30 shipping according to their calculator.
    https://spainbox.com/mailboxes/
    Or these
    https://shipping-address-spain.com/

Suckit wrote: »
    It's not in stock anyway.
    I just checked, and when I last bought from them was late November 2017, so three ish years ago.
    Maybe they did have covid issues when you ordered. I know that currently Spanish shipping has been massively delayed due to snow and the weather as well.

There is also this option, I've never tried them before but it's most likely to be less than €30 shipping according to their calculator.
    https://spainbox.com/mailboxes/
    Or these
    https://shipping-address-spain.com/

It was only around 3 days ago I tried so likely same thing now. The excuse translate to something like 'cash on delivery is not accepted due to covid' a bit unrelated as wouldn't be doing cash on delivery but there was no other payment option, it was just blank and couldn't proceed through checkout. It looks like they've disabled international deliveries for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

TheRover wrote: »
    My invoice on amazon.co.uk for a £125 PSU this morning
    Item(s) Subtotal: £104.17
    Grand Total: £126.05

Ok - so about 1% extra to cover cost of Vat - same as last year -

But if its over 150 euros - then there is the Customs Duty also... I'm assuming Amazon take care of this also? - so we wont have to pay DHL handling fees when it arrives??

Has anyone ordered anything over 150 from UK yet?

Adding a 180 pound item (cpu) I get in the basket:

Order Summary
    Items: GBP 156.66
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 32.90
    Order Total: GBP 189.56 (so + about 10 pounds to Uk price)

?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

Most goods should be customs exempt due either to the origin or type of goods, provided vendor has filled out customs declarations correctly.

The 3070 gigabyte was in stock at currys, had it at checkout about to buy but passed on it as gigabyte failed a bit with the ram cooling on the 3xxx cards, no thermal pads between backplate and ram resulting in thermal throttling in memory intensive tasks. Might be ok on the 3070 but was big issue on the 3080, even if core temperature is low, card throttles and speeds up fan to cool the memory chips. Other MFR cards didnt have same issue.

pm me for link to in stock gigabyte 3070 for slightly less price than currys

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I know this is for buying specifically, but does anyone have any info on RMAs/returns following Brexit?

I got a Sabrent m2 1TB drive off Amazon in october (flash sale), but there seems to be something wrong with it as its making my system crash constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Gbear wrote: »
    I know this is for buying specifically, but does anyone have any info on RMAs/returns following Brexit?

I got a Sabrent m2 1TB drive off Amazon in october (flash sale), but there seems to be something wrong with it as its making my system crash constantly.

I sent something back to amazon yesterday, they just give you a customs invoice you have to give to an post when you drop it off, other than that was standard stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tar_mac

ozmo wrote: »

But if its over 150 euros - then there is the Customs Duty also... I'm assuming Amazon take care of this also? - so we wont have to pay DHL handling fees when it arrives??

Order Summary

?

I just received an order from Amazon.co.uk there placed on the 11th Jan over €150. No extra fees bar the ones mentioned below.

Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal:£277.90
    Postage & Packing:£0.00
    Total Before VAT:£277.90
    VAT:£0.00
    Total:£277.90
    Import Fees Deposit£58.36

Grand Total:£336.26

• Advertisement

I sent something back to amazon yesterday, they just give you a customs invoice you have to give to an post when you drop it off, other than that was standard stuff.

If you are returning due to a change of mind is it still free returns?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoo1

eoo1 wrote: »
    I would advise against buying from Currys PC World Ireland at the moment, if using the delivery option.

Some stock seems to be coming from the UK with DPD being the courier, Some customers are reporting on Currys Ireland facebook page of having being asked by DPD to pay additional import related charges, and others reporting items being sent back to the UK by DPD. Presumably this is why DPD has currently suspended shipments from the UK. Currys Ireland don't appear to be Brexit ready.

I made the mistake of assuming I was ordering a item from Ireland and not the UK, when I ordered from them. I ordered a PSU from them on the 10th of Jan, and have heard nothing since, they are not responding to calls or email. I may have to do a credit card chargeback.
    Posting an update on my previous post. I received the PSU from Currys this morning, delivered by DPD, no additional fees were required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

If you are returning due to a change of mind is it still free returns?

It never was free returns for a cancelled order on Amazon (for Irish or UK customers).
    Some people seem to think Amazon stopped free returns for Irish customers - but nothing has changed. Just fake news :)

ozmo wrote: »

Order Summary

?

Yes that is correct as far as i know. Amazon.co.uk is a "trusted seller" and will pay all that is required at checkout. so you don't have to deal with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tin Man

For anyone keeping score, it looks like Case King has added DHL International to their delivery options for Ireland. Before it was only UPS Express. I'm looking at an order for a case, ram and cpu go from €87 to €17 for delivery.

Maybe they noticed an uptick in orders from people here since the other UK component sites would have issues delivering to here.

Lazy Bhoy wrote: »
    I was just wondering what peoples options for buying PC components will be after Brexit. I am guessing that it will become a lot more expensive to order from the likes of Amazon UK and Scan and Overclockers.

I have seen some people on here mention Amazon.de. I have never ordered anything from Amazon.de before because I have always just used the Amazon UK website. What is the usual cost of delivery from Germanys Amazon? Also do they do free delivery for orders over 25 euros similar to Amazon UK? How would it work as an Amazon Prime user? Would it be different for an Amazon Prime user ordering from Germany?

I have seen that it is also possible to order from Mindfactory using Mailbox.de. Has anybody else used this option and if so, how did you find it?

Two weeks ago I ordered stuff from Amazon.de and I found that it was cheaper than UK after all their fees and taxes. Another plus to order from Germany is they are well stocked compare to UK. funny little story...I ordered a CPU cooler from Germany for about a 100 euro and all went well in transport. As soon as it entered UK things slowed down dramatically...stuck over a week in UK. Delivery was late and Amazon.de refunded me the money. The CPU arrived two days later. I got a free CPU cooler. The negative part is that Amazon.de takes a little longer than from UK (USUALLY).
    Now I order only small stuff from UK that is under the value of 20 euro so I don't have to pay the taxes. I needed 3 pc fans and ordered them individually on three separate occasions. BUT....sometimes it is quicker to order from Germany. I was to order another type of fan from UK but most of the sellers were out of stock and would supply me a month later, whereas Germany could supply me a week later.....However it might get stuck in UK during transport. :pac: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Have to say I'll miss scan. I did a build from amazon.de in the summer, then had to order additional / replacement parts and scan were cheaper, packaged better, and delivered in 2 days whereas amazon took more than a week (with prime).

Having said that I'd have no qualms ordering from a continental website, just be aware the days of next day /2 day shipping (when we're back to normal) are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Have to say I'll miss scan. I did a build from amazon.de in the summer, then had to order additional / replacement parts and scan were cheaper, packaged better, and delivered in 2 days whereas amazon took more than a week (with prime).

Having said that I'd have no qualms ordering from a continental website, just be aware the days of next day /2 day shipping (when we're back to normal) are gone.

Just ordered a monitor from Dell with an estimated delivery of 3rd March. And I thought Amazon taking 2 weeks to ship a TV cable was bad!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

probably not a direct comparision, ordering direct from the manufactuere there is probably a good chance they are building to order( and dell certainly do this). however i know they, like most electronic makers, are seriously backlogged, especially on the popular models, the 27" ips gaming for example is 2+ months lead time.

amazon should just be picking it off the shelf shipping...

Advertisement