Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying options (post Brexit)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I know there have been rumours of an amazon.ie for a while now but (and may be this is only new so me so shut your faces) when you type in Amazon.ie you don't get an error message, you get redirected to the UK version. Does this mean they bought the .ie recently and will use it soon enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭TwistedPixel88

py2006 wrote: »
    I know there have been rumours of an amazon.ie for a while now but (and may be this is only new to me to shut your faces) when you type in Amazon.ie you don't get an error message, you get redirected to the UK version. Does this mean they bought the .ie recently and will use it soon enough?

Looks like they bought it back in 2000 but was recently updated December 2020.

https://who.is/whois/amazon.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I know there have been rumours of an amazon.ie for a while now but (and may be this is only new so me to shut your faces) when you type in Amazon.ie you don't get an error message, you get redirected to the UK version. Does this mean they bought the .ie recently and will use it soon enough?
    I think that might become something like amazon.nl where it is limited to items that are in the NL warehouses. It was initially just a digital book store (possibly music) but now has expanded. I know that they secured warehouse places etc. just before lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

Anyone managed to grab a 3070 from Currys this morning? Got a notification it was in stock, but never saw it available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

TheRover wrote: »
    Anyone managed to grab a 3070 from Currys this morning? Got a notification it was in stock, but never saw it available.

Contacted currys to try buy one, they told me all the stock was bought by someone named Sam ashfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

spix wrote: »
    Contacted currys to try buy one, they told me all the stock was bought by someone named Sam ashfield

Was there only one 3070 or are u allowed buy unlimited in Curry's?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

spix wrote: »

Hope you report them for a breach of GDPR / PII confidentiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Was there only one 3070 or are u allowed buy unlimited in Curry's?

Im fairly sure he is joking about sam ashfeld. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

I know there have been rumours of an amazon.ie for a while now but (and may be this is only new so me so shut your faces) when you type in Amazon.ie you don't get an error message, you get redirected to the UK version. Does this mean they bought the .ie recently and will use it soon enough?

https://www.amazon.de/?currency=EUR&language=en_GB

No problem ordering the parts from Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

The 3070 now completely disappeared from currys.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Oh man, what a time for my Titan to die :(

I guess I'll be going back to the old 980ti for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Few gtx 1650s available here if they're of use to anybody (not scalpers) considering every single gpu seems to be out of stock lol

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/graphics-cards/pny-geforce-gtx-1650-4-gb-dual-fan-graphics-card-10212568-pdt.html

scottigael wrote: »
    Few gtx 1650s available here if they're of use to anybody (not scalpers) considering every single gpu seems to be out of stock lol

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/graphics-cards/pny-geforce-gtx-1650-4-gb-dual-fan-graphics-card-10212568-pdt.html

How good are they as a temp card? Would the play the latest shizzle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

scottigael wrote: »

Seems like everything is out of stock now.
    How good are they as a temp card? Would the play the latest shizzle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Has anyone had anything delivered from Scan yet?

ABout 10 years ago! :D

Overclockers have stopped shipping here and they are the cheapest right now for the 3600x

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Overclockers have stopped shipping here and they are the cheapest right now for the 3600x

over the last couple of weeks i have had one of the most antogonising discussions with CS at OC i've had, the emails on both sides got heated.

ordered a 5900x in dec, shipped early jan, then DPD stopped deliveries, returned it OC, they asked did i want to cancel or they find another shipping option, i said find another. heard nothing until mid feb, pinged them, giving out i'd heard nothing and they had my money for 2 months, i'd still got no product. the reply i got was quite rude, saying if they shipped it now i would get hit with another customs charge and they were trying to avoid that for me. almost called me a fool for not understanding what was going on and portraying themselves as doing me a favour.

After several heated emails back and forth, i finally got to someone higher in the structure there, or at least appeared to be. they finally understood that having a message on their webpage which i screen shotted and sent to them saying they were irish registered and no additional charges would be incurred, then holding my money for 2 months with no product as they couldn't ship without extra charges were in total disagreement with each other.

looks like they have finally taken it down, and being honest, which is good to see. I've gotten my refund, but the whole thing has left a sour taste in the mouth and if they do resume shipping here i think i'll be avoiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

mossym wrote: »
    over the last couple of weeks i have had one of the most antogonising discussions with CS at OC i've had, the emails on both sides got heated.

ordered a 5900x in dec, shipped early jan, then DPD stopped deliveries, returned it OC, they asked did i want to cancel or they find another shipping option, i said find another. heard nothing until mid feb, pinged them, giving out i'd heard nothing and they had my money for 2 months, i'd still got no product. the reply i got was quite rude, saying if they shipped it now i would get hit with another customs charge and they were trying to avoid that for me. almost called me a fool for not understanding what was going on and portraying themselves as doing me a favour.

After several heated emails back and forth, i finally got to someone higher in the structure there, or at least appeared to be. they finally understood that having a message on their webpage which i screen shotted and sent to them saying they were irish registered and no additional charges would be incurred, then holding my money for 2 months with no product as they couldn't ship without extra charges were in total disagreement with each other.

looks like they have finally taken it down, and being honest, which is good to see. I've gotten my refund, but the whole thing has left a sour taste in the mouth and if they do resume shipping here i think i'll be avoiding.
    British business being arrogant AND not knowing the trading rules - what's new :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I've always found OcUK to be a bit scummy. But then they were founded by a racist prick who was happy to air his views on the forums. Even now it's commonplace to have homophobic, nationalist, or misogynist comments and threads go unpunished. But mention a competitor and you're dealt with quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Yep I had a fairly unsatisfactory experience with them also; so much messing around with items in and out of stock and zero updates on their site about Irish deliveries.

Honestly they were great when there was virtually no competition but they’ve been very very slow to modernise and seem to have completely dropped the ball with Brexit.

• Advertisement

Before the whole Brexit craic I found CCL great but now they're just scalping GPUs like the rest and not delivering is a mega pain

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BurntAsh

I found CCL's customer care to be very poor a few months ago when I tried to buy some parts. Ineffective communication and really didn't seem to care that they had messed up and delayed the transaction by several weeks. I won't use them again.

Really? I wanted to get stuff Ex VAT from them just before Christmas. Can be a pain with some companies at times because they don't seem to get the difference between buying Ex VAT and reclaiming it but CCL where on the ball for me anyway, with right quick delivery at Christmas when everything was pandemonium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

I had just before Christmas.
    They are not shipping outside Uk now except through an amazon account.

Do you ship internationally?
    We have suspended delivery to all European countries due to Brexit, we are working with our delivery partners to restore service in the coming weeks.
    The following information will apply once service has been resumed

We deliver to most European countries via our website, charges and delivery times vary from country to country.

To get a quote for delivery:

Add the products you want to purchase to your basket
    Expand the drop down basket at the top of each page
    In the delivery part of the basket click 'change'
    Choose your country and press update to see a quote for delivery to your area

We do not currently delivery outside of Europe via our website, if you are outside of Europe and would like to order then you call our sales team to get a quote on +44 1204 474747
    https://www.scan.co.uk/help/orders/delivery/delivery-europe

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Have you actually tried to order something with that Scan Amazon trick though since Brexit? I'd imagine it'd just be cancelled or you'd have to deal with import fees.

What are our options for buying currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Prices can be a bit all over the place on certain things (and seem to change from visit to visit), but managed to secure a couple of decent purchases from www.ldlc.com and www.alternate.de of late.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye....they might be a bit on the expensive side for certain items that might be worth picking up from either Amazon in France or Germany instead, but at least you know what the final cost will be and they can surprise you.
    Picked up a Dark Hero X570 from LDLC for RRP whereas other suppliers have months of preorders still unfulfilled. Paid about 50euro over the odds for a Ryzen from Alternate, and have to request an offer as they don't directly allow orders from Ireland, but they did come through which is a positive in itself in this uncertain time with components.

• Advertisement

Is there any benefit to getting something delivered to your granny in the UK and getting her to send it on here? :-)

Advertisement