Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No business class for fat people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Why weren't they given full refunds? Load of bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

This is why we need a special seating area in the cargo hold for some passengers. Nothing more i enjoy than flying next to someone who should pay for 2 seats and sharing mine with them.
    And passengers who cant fit out an emergency exit should never be allowed on a flight in the 1st place. Places the safety of the whole plane at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hammer89 wrote: »

Because they weren't refused to fly. They were sent back to economy and were refunded the difference.

This is why we need a special seating area in the cargo hold for some passengers. Nothing more i enjoy than flying next to someone who should pay for 2 seats and sharing mine with them.

When flying short-haul Ryanair we always sit 1A, 1B.

Some fat loon managed to blag (or just saw) 1C free (he didn't pay for it, as he was laughing and boasting to his friends some seats behind). The result of this was himself overlapping onto 1B.

Had to complain to the crew that this was a fcuking joke that after paying for a seat, we can't even use it. Turns out he couldn't get the belt fastened so he was sent to the back of the plane (when he asked for the extender, the crew advised that he was too large to sit in an exit row).

Relief.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So business class seats have airbags but economy obviously doesn't. Talk about the definition of a class system. This is the Titanic all over again.

Yes, because in a mid air collision, I'd be really put out by the lack of air bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

JohnCleary wrote: »
    When flying short-haul Ryanair we always sit 1A, 1B.

Some fat loon managed to blag (or just saw) 1C free (he didn't pay for it, as he was laughing and boasting to his friends some seats behind). The result of this was himself overlapping onto 1B.

Had to complain to the crew that this was a fcuking joke that after paying for a seat, we can't even use it. Turns out he couldn't get the belt fastened so he was sent to the back of the plane (when he asked for the extender, the crew advised that he was too large to sit in an exit row).

You've some hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You've some hearing.

Not that hard to hear someone in the seat next to you.

You've some hearing.

I suggest you look at a seat map for a Boeing 737.

Here's a hint "We were sitting in 1A / 1B and the big fella was sitting in 1C"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

2 sides to every story.

I presume its in the t's and c's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Loopylineking

Hoboo wrote: »
    I have to pay 100 extra each way when flying to the states because I'm 6'6 and don't fit into a standard seat. Not my fault, I didn't eat my way to this length. And if I don't book extra leg room you can be guaranteed some short arse is top of the queue at check in for extra legroom.

Yet fat people think they're discriminated against for making themselves too big? Hilarious.

I’m six foot two and find it the most uncomfortable thing ever flying long distances.

What do you do? Get the exit seats in the middle of the craft?

• Advertisement

I’m six foot two and find it the most uncomfortable thing ever flying long distances.

What do you do? Get the exit seats in the middle of the craft?

I'm only 6' but cannot do long-haul economy (I'm talking 2 x 8 hour flights). Business isin't a cheap option but you're guaranteed comfort. The holiday begins when you enter the airport, you look forward to the flight and the lay-over is a pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

That is a disgusting way to treat customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Let them eat cake. Oh they already did.

*reclines seat*.

Katgurl wrote: »
    That is a disgusting way to treat customers.

What was disgusting? They put them in seats they could fit and refunded the difference. They then got a full refund from their travel agent.

That's a win. Helped pay for a chunk of their surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

That's a win. Helped pay for a chunk of their surgery.

They could get themselves a nice take out on the way home

Deja Boo wrote: »
    No need for such blatant public embarrassment. I would've been mortified.

Must be the first time ever a Thai woman telling a foreigner ‘no, you’re too big, you’re too big’ hasn't gone down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,290 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I read the thread title I thought some stern business teacher wouldn't teach the over weight kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mobileforest

Had a friend who was moving her life across the world a number of yrs ago. She told me she wished airliners made passengers stand on the scale with their luggage and pay accordingly. She was annoyed because she had to pay for every extra kg of luggage (as weight is the key issue for planes with regards to fuel etc) yet her seat cost her the same as it did for blokes 50+ more kg in weight than her. Imagine the outcry if an airliner brought that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,133 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Had a friend who was moving her life across the world a number of yrs ago. She told me she wished airliners made passengers stand on the scale with their luggage and pay accordingly. She was annoyed because she had to pay for every extra kg of luggage (as weight is the key issue for planes with regards to fuel etc) yet her seat cost her the same as it did for blokes 50+ more kg in weight than her. Imagine the outcry if an airliner brought that in.
    Samoa Air did charge passengers by weight (before it closed in 2015). To put this in context:

- Their domestic market has one of the highest obesity rates in the world.

- Much of their network consisted of island-hopping routes flown by comparatively small aircraft where weight distribution matters, so passengers would have to be weighed even if they weren't being charged by the kilo.

A number of airlines weigh all passengers and allocate seats based on weight (again, these are airlines flying small aircraft) and at least one - Uzbeckistan Airways - uses weight as a factor in deciding which passengers to bump if a flight is overbooked or there is a late aircraft change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

The 787 has airbags in their business class belts (It confused the heck out of me the first time I used them).
    Depends on the airline.

The Business Class seats in most B787 aircraft are at an angle to the nose/tail axis of the aircraft, therefore in the event of an incident the passenger will have side loads exerted on them as well as fore/aft loads, because of this, the seats are fitted with a lap strap seat belt and a shoulder harness, kinda like your car. Thai has taken this design a step further by adding an air cushion in the shoulder strap. Like all designs, it comes with specific design criteria and it appears that waist size is one of these criteria.

The economy seats don't have shoulder straps hence the ability to seat larger people there.

Could the airline have handled this better, hell yes, but this is Thailand we are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You've some hearing.

If you are on a Ryanair plane sitting in 1B and you can't hear what the person in 1C is saying, i'd say you've a problem with your hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Thats them in the picture AFTER weight reduction surgery?? :eek::eek::eek:
    It's likely a gastric band or something of the sort. It's surgery to make weight-loss highly probable by making it difficult to overeat, rather than physically removing fat. If it's effective, the weight loss will be over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It never bothered Andre.

An 'awful man' for the sup was André.

Sam Beckett drove him to school. No lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

easypazz wrote: »
    Its not like they tried to get a free upgrade, they were happy to pay for it, same as yourself.

Im not happy to pay for it, thats the point. If I dont pay for extra legroom because Im tall, I dont fit in the seat, I dont fly. They dont offer me extra legroom like they offer seatbelt extensions.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Im not happy to pay for it, thats the point. If I dont pay for extra legroom because Im tall, I dont fit in the seat, I dont fly. They dont offer me extra legroom like they offer seatbelt extensions.

If I'm flying economy shorthaul, I just pay for the extra legroom seats, worth every penny for comfort... what's the big deal?

What used to bug me when I flew economy long haul was that you couldn't purchase bulkhead (bassinets for babies) or exit row, it was a dose. Thankfully this is no longer an issue for me.

I'm not sure if that is still a thing as I was able to purchase exit row seats for a family member flying to Canada recently, but it was certainly not available a few years back when I tried to book with the Middle East airlines (phoning them didn't help, either).

If you can't purchase the exit row / bulkhead, get to the airport early and explain the issue re. Height and that you'd like an exit row/ bulkhead.

Failing that, do as I do and get a seat at the front of the plane.

Fat people don't pay for extenders, extenders don't offer any more comfort. Extra legroom seats do, hence you pay for them. (Or you're lucky)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

JohnCleary wrote: »
    If I'm flying economy shorthaul, I just pay for the extra legroom seats, worth every penny for comfort... what's the big deal?

What used to bug me when I flew economy long haul was that you couldn't purchase bulkhead (bassinets for babies) or exit row, it was a dose. Thankfully this is no longer an issue for me.

I'm not sure if that is still a thing as I was able to purchase exit row seats for a family member flying to Canada recently, but it was certainly not available a few years back when I tried to book with the Middle East airlines (phoning them didn't help, either).

If you can't purchase the exit row / bulkhead, get to the airport early and explain the issue re. Height and that you'd like an exit row/ bulkhead.

Failing that, do as I do and get a seat at the front of the plane.

Fat people don't pay for extenders, extenders don't offer any more comfort. Extra legroom seats do, hence you pay for them. (Or you're lucky)

Shorthaul, grand. Transatlantic is 100 each way. That's taking the piss when you've no choice. Return flights go up 25%. Running the risk of turning up on the day isn't an option, no legroom then I'm not flying. Can't sit side saddle with legs in the aisle for take off and landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I'm a fat 18 stone and have a 38 inch waist.... The **** has a 56 inch waist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

I'm a fat 18 stone and have a 38 inch waist.... The **** has a 56 inch waist

A ball!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

That’s hardly fair, is it? I mean, should a healthy weight super tall broad guy have to pay more? It’s a human, not a gathering of inanimate objects. Moving stuff costs money. Pretty petty of your friend.

Advertisement