Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No business class for fat people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

If they cant sit in business class due to air bags in the seats fair enough. They should be asking peoples weight when they book so which would stop the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

If they cant sit in business class due to air bags in the seats fair enough. They should be asking peoples weight when they book so which would stop the confusion.
    It seems to be waist size, not weight.
    Passengers with waists measuring more than 56 inches are therefore excluded from flying in business class.
    I'm a big guy, but I've never had any issue with this sort of thing in the handful of times I've flown business class, nor even heard of it happening. Seems like shoddy design. I suspect the staff have measured these women's bellies and not around their hips where the belts would fit just fine. Or maybe they're really that big - hard to judge from a photo. In any case, they might have handled it a little more delicately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Whose business is it anyway. Interesting to see who has no class here

• Registered Users Posts: 28,431 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I didn't realise business class came with airbags? I thought it was about luxury not safety!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Charge them double also and extra for some other environmental reasons and and...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,270 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'm kind of surprised if they were that size they could fit in economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Oh the irony they were flying back home from weight loss surgery...

They should have checked this prior to flying as not every airline has the same size seating. Fat people know more than anyone that plane seats aren't forgiving.

No sympathy for them, they even got $300 each compensation for something that wasn't the airlines error.

mikhail wrote: »
    It seems to be waist size, not weight.

I'm a big guy, but I've never had any issue with this sort of thing in the handful of times I've flown business class, nor even heard of it happening. Seems like shoddy design. I suspect the staff have measured these women's bellies and not around their hips where the belts would fit just fine. Or maybe they're really that big - hard to judge from a photo. In any case, they might have handled it a little more delicately.
    Fair enough the point still stands. If there's waist/weight/height whatever restrictions it should be communicated at the booking process so there's no mix ups at the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Its ironic that they were going for weight loss surgery.

Who designed a craft with a requirement that fat people couldnt fly business?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

56 inch waist is a good bit past being a bit tubby.

Surely “morbidly obese” would be more accurate than “plus size” as the article headline states

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Oh the irony they were flying back home from weight loss surgery...

They should have checked this prior to flying as not every airline has the same size seating. They should he even more conscious of this being the larger size that they are. Fat people know more than anyone that plane seats aren't forgiving.

No sympathy for them, they even got $300NZ each compensation for something that wasn't the airlines error.

Seriously, I have never heard of airlines saying cant fit fat people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I have to pay 100 extra each way when flying to the states because I'm 6'6 and don't fit into a standard seat. Not my fault, I didn't eat my way to this length. And if I don't book extra leg room you can be guaranteed some short arse is top of the queue at check in for extra legroom.

Yet fat people think they're discriminated against for making themselves too big? Hilarious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

easypazz wrote: »
    Seriously, I have never heard of airlines saying cant fit fat people.

Me neither - and any business class I have been in had plenty long belts.
    Either something is missing in this story, or it is a really bad design flaw.

Hoboo wrote: »
    I have to pay 100 extra each way when flying to the states because I'm 6'6 and don't fit into a standard seat. Not my fault, I didn't eat my way to this length. And if I don't book extra leg room you can be guaranteed some short arse is top of the queue at check in for extra legroom.

Yet fat people think they're discriminated against for making themselves too big? Hilarious.

Its not like they tried to get a free upgrade, they were happy to pay for it, same as yourself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It doesn't really make sense. They make more money by suggesting big people fly business. Why would they then restrict them?

So business class seats have airbags but economy obviously doesn't. Talk about the definition of a class system. This is the Titanic all over again.

So business class seats have airbags but economy obviously doesn't. Talk about the definition of a class system. This is the Titanic all over again.

I think it's a particular design of business class seat. Normal seats don't have them and to be fair, they wouldn't be a lot of use at a few hundred kmph into a mountain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It never bothered Andre.

4chcc20vdrr01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Andre wasn’t fat he was big boned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

No Journey For Big Men.

Great movie.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It never bothered Andre.

4chcc20vdrr01.jpg
    Try telling a 7f 4in, 35 stone, full of of 100 beers plus bloke he's not getting on the plane.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

[deleted]

easypazz wrote: »
    Who designed a craft with a requirement that fat people couldnt fly business?

It is interesting - if you are interested in that kind of thing - that often it is a mix of the airplane manufacturer and the airlines.

See many planes are manufactured with a recommended seating plan. But they are actually built in such a way that the airline themselves set where the seats end up actually being.

This is one of the reasons for example that the airplane windows often do not line up with the airplane seats.

More on this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz6mnK1Xi7g

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why are women called plus size when men are called fat / overweight ?
    No such thing as a plus size in men. Just lots of Xs!

spurious wrote: »
    It doesn't really make sense. They make more money by suggesting big people fly business. Why would they then restrict them?

There's not enough room for big people AND an airbag.
    I'm still trying to figure out what the airbag is for.

Maybe if the plane is rear-ended by another plane at a red light it might prevent whiplash...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There's not enough room for big people AND an airbag.
    I'm still trying to figure out what the airbag is for.

Maybe if the plane is rear-ended by another plane at a red light it might prevent whiplash...

An economy seat will be designed so that when hit by the passenger behind in a crash, it will deflect and absorb some of the impact energy.

Business class seat's are often enclosed by solid dividing walls, electric seats which don't move when hit from behind, larger TV's and more bulkheads than would be the case in economy.

Newer crash ratings are more stringent, so seat manufacturers had to include airbags.

They wouldn't help in a catastrophic crash, but might just be enough to keep you conscious in a very hard landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Non-story.

The 787 has airbags in their business class belts (It confused the heck out of me the first time I used them).

If they were on an older A330 or even a 777, it wouldn't have been an issue. Heck, from what I recall (it's been a few years), the A380 doesn't even have airbags in their belts.

787 was one of my favourite business class seats, they're now my favourite... no fatties up front! People usually assume the A380 is the best business class as it's the largest plane in the world, but the intimacy of the 787 far out-weighs it (no pun intended).

• Advertisement

An economy seat will be designed so that when hit by the passenger behind in a crash, it will deflect and absorb some of the impact energy.
    Business class seat's are often enclosed by solid dividing walls, electric seats which don't move when hit from behind, larger TV's and more bulkheads than would be the case in economy.
    Newer crash ratings are more stringent, so seat manufacturers had to include airbags.
    They wouldn't help in a catastrophic crash, but might just be enough to keep you conscious in a very hard landing.

This is AH. We're not looking for valid explanations - and as helpful and informative as your post has been, I have to mark it as "try harder" :)

Advertisement