Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No business class for fat people

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hoboo wrote: »
    Shorthaul, grand. Transatlantic is 100 each way. That's taking the piss when you've no choice. Return flights go up 25%. Running the risk of turning up on the day isn't an option, no legroom then I'm not flying. Can't sit side saddle with legs in the aisle for take off and landing.

It's not taking the p1ss. *I* have a choice, and if I was stuck in economy for a transatlantic flight, 100 wouldn't bother me in the slightest for comfort.

Heck, i'm just after paying 200 euro for my father to have legroom seats for a flight to Canada soon (Sister booked him Economy, I refuse to send an old man that long in Economy, but she had already bought the tickets) - I don't even get to reap the rewards, but it's just the done thing if you want comfort.

100 extra for a 6 hour flight is under 20 euro an hour for comfort.... you must not value your comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

JohnCleary wrote: »
    It's not taking the p1ss. *I* have a choice, and if I was stuck in economy for a transatlantic flight, 100 wouldn't bother me in the slightest for comfort.

Heck, i'm just after paying 200 euro for my father to have legroom seats for a flight to Canada soon (Sister booked him Economy, I refuse to send an old man that long in Economy, but she had already bought the tickets) - I don't even get to reap the rewards, but it's just the done thing if you want comfort.

100 extra for a 6 hour flight is under 20 euro an hour for comfort.... you must not value your comfort.

You're missing my point.

You have a choice, because you fit in the chair. I have NO choice but to pay the extra because my knees would be up at the top of the seat in front. Thats not permitted for take off or landing.

Its not about comfort, it's about not being unable to take the same flight as your dad UNLESS I pay the 200.

It's a form of discrimination. Extra legroom seat should be available to tall people free of extra charges. Its akin to charging for disabled toilets (cue outrage).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

You're missing my point.

You have a choice, because you fit in the chair. I have NO choice but to pay the extra because my knees would be up at the top of the seat in front. Thats not permitted for take off or landing.

Its not about comfort, it's about not being unable to take the same flight as your dad UNLESS I pay the 200.

It's a form of discrimination. Extra legroom seat should be available to tall people free of extra charges. Its akin to charging for disabled toilets (cue outrage).

Has any tall person ever been booted out of a plane because they could not fit in an economy seat?

Never heard of it.

As someone who’s 6’4”, I have enjoyed the very many benefits of being tall and regard paying a few euro extra on a short haul flight and even a few more on a long haul for an emergency exit row as money well spent, and would travel business class longhaul whenever I can afford what I consider to be a treat.

And i seriously don’t want someone’s obese body spilling over into the space I’ve booked and paid for

• Registered Users Posts: 18,266 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If I had a 56" waist I would feel humiliated too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You're missing my point.

Flying isin't a right, get over it.

Discrimination my hoop.

But thanks for giving me a laugh :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

You're missing my point.

Am, yeah, that means less seats on each plane in order to provide more seats with extra legroom (long-legged people not exactly being that rare). And that will see fares rising for everyone to make up the difference from the reduced available seating.

And, to be honest, you’re the one who sounds outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Am, yeah, that means less seats on each plane in order to provide more seats with extra legroom (long-legged people not exactly being that rare). And that will see fares rising for everyone to make up the difference from the reduced available seating.

And, to be honest, you’re the one who sounds outraged.
    It's not much of an issue. In the USA for example (just because the stats are easier to find), someone who's 6' 3" is in the top 2% of men by height. Women that height are vanishingly rare. It's should be relatively easy to make minor accommodations for 1% of your passengers. To be clear that I'm not speaking in self-interest here, I'll mention that I'm not 6' 3" +.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

gmisk wrote: »
    I'm kind of surprised if they were that size they could fit in economy?

Imagine the poor fecker that would have to sit beside one of those fat pigs on the way back ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Peregrinus wrote: »
    - Much of their network consisted of island-hopping routes flown by comparatively small aircraft where weight distribution matters, so passengers would have to be weighed even if they weren't being charged by the kilo.

A number of airlines weigh all passengers and allocate seats based on weight (again, these are airlines flying small aircraft)

Inverin in Conemara do this.

Step up on the scales for all to see and get told where you will be sitting to balance the plane over to the Aran Islands :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

mikhail wrote: »
    It's not much of an issue. In the USA for example (just because the stats are easier to find), someone who's 6' 3" is in the top 2% of men by height. Women that height are vanishingly rare. It's should be relatively easy to make minor accommodations for 1% of your passengers. To be clear that I'm not speaking in self-interest here, I'll mention that I'm not 6' 3" +.

You don’t have to be that tall for your leg room to be severely restricted on flights. It depends on your proportions. For example, a woman might be 5’ 7” but have a high waist and therefore long legs and find herself just as cramped as a 6’ 0” man who happens to have a long torso and short legs. I have the same leg length as my father despite being five or six inches shorter than him. We’re both short so that example is purely for illustrative purposes but it just shows that people’s proportions can differ greatly. I’ve seen people who are kinda tall but not massively so be very cramped on flights.

So I think a lot of extra legroom seats would need to be provided to give anyone affected extra legroom for free. And if they only decided it purely by height and that you have to very tall, that would be a pretty crude measure. AND what about a flight where there are lots of tallies? For example, a travelling basketball team or a plane load of Dutch folks. Which of those tallies get the extra legroom? So it’s just not really a workable proposition. It would be hassle to organise on each individual flight. And no airline will be willing to provide more than a handful of extra legroom seats because of the lost revenue.

Advertisement