Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Hope you stayed for the tay.

The u turns cause you to lose some momentum. Hopefully back to a full loop soon.

Running tomorrow, so on the other end of the scanner for today.

Had to leave pretty much straight away. Bring my dad down to Kelly's cafe for tea and scone.

U-turns on the hill will make us stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Got an email there with a 20% discount for Contra gear due to the number of times I volunteered at parkrun last year, which is a nice touch. And there's free postage on orders all weekend.

Now, if I only needed more running gear... :-)

I've my 25th volunteer milestone next week in Father Collins, its a doubler with Monika doing her's too.

I haven't seen the roster yet, but no doubt see you there in some role.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Had to leave pretty much straight away. Bring my dad down to Kelly's cafe for tea and scone.

U-turns on the hill will make us stronger.

I'll let you know when the U's are straightened

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tuff Gong wrote: »
    Am I a terrible person for having a giggle to myself when I read about Ross earlier today.

About someone in parkrun breaking bones? I would say Yes.
    Regardless of your feelings towards him to wish harm on a parkrun volunteer in an event that has garnished so much goodwill and positivity is fairly despicable tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tuff Gong

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Regardless of your feelings towards him to wish harm on a parkrun volunteer in an event that has garnished so much goodwill and positivity is fairly despicable tbh.
    Despicable! Come off it, thats a bit strong. He's a public figure, fair game I say.

Eta: Just to say as well, parkrun has changed my life. If I'm not running, then Im volunteering. Don't try and twist me just having a lighthearted poke at a politician, into some sort of sneer at volunteers or whatever your trying to do. People will read it for what it is. Cheek of ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Go away with your thanks whoring post

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I'll let you know when the U's are straightened

Hopefully not too soon. Want to better my time first:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

New PB of 22:56 in Victoria today!

Perfect day for it, cool and dry without a breath of wind. No better course than the nearly completely flat Vickie park for PB hunting in those conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Maybe he found it funny because this volunteer's motives likely have little to do with the goodwill and positivity you mention.
    There's a general election in 3 weeks and a local politician decides to volunteer at parkrun. Somehow this ends up being advertised all over the papers due to an injury sustained while doing so (how do you break your fingers while marshalling at parkrun?)
    Forgive me for being sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Maybe he found it funny because this volunteer's motives likely have little to do with the goodwill and positivity you mention.
    There's a general election in 3 weeks and a local politician decides to volunteer at parkrun. Somehow this ends up being advertised all over the papers due to an injury sustained while doing so (how do you break your fingers while marshalling at parkrun?)

In fairness I thought it was a convenient too with a general election approaching but in fairness to him it wasn't his first time volunteering. Has done plenty of times this and last year. A good way to get out in the community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I don't recall seeing the Russbborough parkrun on here before but I'm in Wicklow for the weekend so went yesterday. Nice mostly paved run for anyone looking for a scenic run near Dublin. It's on the winter route right now I think the summer route might have more track. It's currently a two lapper with a U turn at the end which slows it down a good bit. All parkruns obviously feel pretty relaxed but this felt more casual than most so it's great for people just starting out I'm trying to encourage some of my family to start going. If you're faster theres one regular doing <20 but generally the times are more relaxed my 21.33 was good for 7/75 which is a way higher relative position than I normally find myself in. If I find myself in Wicklow on a Saturday in the future would definitely head down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

yaboya1 wrote: »

I dont like the guy as he has been pretty bad with his policies if you live in the sticks like myself but In fairness he has a 25 milestone for volenteering

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

ger664 wrote: »
    I dont like the guy as he has been pretty bad with his policies if you live in the sticks like myself but In fairness he has a 25 milestone for volenteering

Yup, his motives to volunteer may be not the same as everyone else’s but nonetheless he has been a consistent volunteer up there for the past while, which is still helping ~500 people have their run on a Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Plus he's a 70 year old man who broke his fingers, get a life like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

The only shame is that it wasnt his necks but neck like his are unbreakable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

cmod note:

Folks, wtf!

AT WHAT POINT DID THIS FORUM STOOP TO THAT LOW.

Mods, you need to talk about this in your mod forum, if not, this thread will be closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Steve wrote: »
    cmod note:

Folks, wtf!

AT WHAT POINT DID THIS FORUM STOOP TO THAT LOW.

Mods, you need to talk about this in your mod forum, if not, this thread will be closed.

Ran by the man himself at the Stepaside Garda station today. He’s got the arm up in a sling, luckily for him it doesn’t appear to be his handshaking hand. I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

On an unrelated note, hopefully the mods are heeding your sage advice Steve. If they haven’t spent their entire day today in an all day online conclave debating the ethics of mocking a politician then all really is lost in modern Ireland.

Be well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well lets try get this back on track :)

Anyone got any milestones or tourism this weekend?.

As mentioned earlier I've my 25th volunteer role in Father Collins this weekend then planning on a few tourist road trips from March on wards, I love trails, I don't mind hills but a buddy who'll be traveling with me hates hilly courses so any suggestions for flat trails would be great.

Well lets try get this back on track :)

Anyone got any milestones or tourism this weekend?.

As mentioned earlier I've my 25th volunteer role in Father Collins this weekend then planning on a few tourist road trips from March on wards, I love trails, I don't mind hills but a buddy who'll be traveling with me hates hilly courses so any suggestions for flat trails would be great.

I'm back on home soil in Scotland this week. I'm a pacer on the 8th so going to have a spin there this weekend make sure my pacing time isn't too much of a stretch!

Is there anywhere that does pacers on a regular basis? There were pacers at Russborough at the weekend from some local club (the 22 min pacer ran 21.14?) have only ever had Pacers one other time and that was at the 4th birthday run at Portobello. Just curious if any runs do that as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cheekypup

jimmii wrote: »
    I'm back on home soil in Scotland this week. I'm a pacer on the 8th so going to have a spin there this weekend make sure my pacing time isn't too much of a stretch!

Is there anywhere that does pacers on a regular basis? There were pacers at Russborough at the weekend from some local club (the 22 min pacer ran 21.14?) have only ever had Pacers one other time and that was at the 4th birthday run at Portobello. Just curious if any runs do that as normal?

Griffeen parkrun has pacers (20:00, 22:30, 25:00, 27:30, 30:00, 32:50, 35:00) on the last Saturday of every month. Corkagh parkrun has similar pacers on the 2nd Saturday of every month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Hartstown has pacers first Saturday of the month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Just so y'all know, I only just found out who the subject of last nights comments was.

Regardless of who they are or how much they've aided in fu*king up the country, we have an obligation to be mainly polite and respectful on boards. Some of the comments were teetering on being OTT, however, I don't think any action is needed and respectfully withdraw last night's rant. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

St Anne's has pacers the last Saturday of every month. Usually from 19 minutes up to 33/34.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    St Anne's has pacers the last Saturday of every month. Usually from 19 minutes up to 33/34.

And the St. Anne’s 22-min pacer will run something like 21:55. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I did Mount Lucas last Saturday and a lovely venue for a parkrun. Nice and flat and a fast course if you can get a few people to drag you along the way. Nice spot if anyone is looking for a bit of tourism.

cheekypup wrote: »
    Griffeen parkrun has pacers (20:00, 22:30, 25:00, 27:30, 30:00, 32:50, 35:00) on the last Saturday of every month. Corkagh parkrun has similar pacers on the 2nd Saturday of every month.

I found it made a huge difference for me and at the moment I'm not focusing on a 5k time so might see if my local would like to offer it more. It's only a relatively new parkrun so lots of newish runners who would hopefully get some before from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

chinguetti wrote: »
    I did Mount Lucas last Saturday and a lovely venue for a parkrun. Nice and flat and a fast course if you can get a few people to drag you along the way. Nice spot if anyone is looking for a bit of tourism.

Plan to do that one when the weather improves a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

chinguetti wrote: »

Did it in very heavy fog just before Christmas. Almost ran a PB (did a course PB) making sure I didn't lose sight of the runner in front!!

Still undecided about the weekend - maybe Lisburn, maybe Ormeau. Will probably depend on what time I drag my arse out of bed on Saturday!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My club offers pacers at South Manchester parkrun on the first Saturday of the month - usually every minute from 20 minutes to 35 minutes.

I'm most likely going to take the lazy option this weekend of pootling around Fletcher Moss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

Malahide has pacers on the 2nd last Saturday of every month. The times paced depends on who shows up/volunteers to do it, but there are usually a few around 25 to 27 minutes and often a 21 or 22 as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement