Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People like SF candidates but won't vote for SF

Options
  • 21-01-2020 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

I’ve heard people saying multiple times that they like certain SF candidates but they won’t vote for them as they are Sinn Fein. Trying to understand why there is such opposite to Sinn Fein? Have looked up online but not getting good info. Surely if someone likes a candidate and what they stand for they should vote for them? Please explain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I’ve heard people saying multiple times that they like certain SF candidates but they won’t vote for them as they are Sinn Fein. Trying to understand why there is such opposite to Sinn Fein? Have looked up online but not getting good info. Surely if someone likes a candidate and what they stand for they should vote for them? Please explain

For me it's the economic policies, look at the current nonsense with the retirement age. The problem was already bad enough even after the increase in age.

Also the rubbish they proposed around the bailout time, plus their cheerleading of Syriza in Greece.

They make Bertie look prudent.

christy c wrote: »
    For me it's the economic policies, look at the current nonsense with the retirement age. The problem was already bad enough even after the increase in age.

Also the rubbish they proposed around the bailout time, plus their cheerleading of Syriza in Greece.

How about you work on for me, as long as you like. I'll retire early and send some postcards

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Their economic reasoning is nothing short of madness.

Tax the working more to give more to the won’t work.

More people will leave work as it won’t make sense, so taxes on remaining workers need to be raised, forcing more out of work.

SF are a professional opposition party. Just about good enough to gain a few seats to keep other parties on their toes.

How about you work on for me, as long as you like. I'll retire early and send some postcards

Just "TAX THE RICH" and we can both retire

• Registered Users Posts: 40,190 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They are just hurlers on the ditch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

They haven’t gone away you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The last buck-toothed pavee to come to my door parroting "tax the rich!!" thought the rich meant "anyone with a job".

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

anyone over 35 knows what they are really like

anyone over 35 knows what they are really like

Too right. A 12-bore with a charge of salt across the fat arse is the only job for the spailpíns! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

jimgoose wrote: »
    The last buck-toothed pavee to come to my door parroting "tax the rich!!" thought the rich meant "anyone with a job".

anyone with a job earns over 100 grand a year? OP - this is why people dont vote SF - they're too caught up with the anti SF hype.

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    anyone with a job earns over 100 grand a year? OP - this is why people dont vote SF - they're too caught up with the anti SF hype.

Christ, another one - pull!! :pac:

maccored wrote: »

I remember they had plan to reduce pension tax relief for others (don't know if this is still the plan). But the €100,000 pro SF hype was still trotted out at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They want to reduce the retirement age to 65. Which is nice. But totally impractical given greater life expectancy.

I have an enforced job contract clause to retire at 65 so the move to higher state pension ages does not suit me. However I've enough co on to know that the system cannot afford to keep lower pension ages.

They basically want to turn the country into Greece but without the nice weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,643 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A vote for a SF candidate you like is also a vote for Mary Lou and for more money for the wasters on social welfare and less for the ordinary hard working person who earns a decent wage. It's also a vote for a UI and that'll mean even less money in your pocket.

Financial prudence is the reason you don't vote SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

The fact that they think murdering 1,800 people during the troubles is grand and still try to cover it up

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

eagle eye wrote: »
    A vote for a SF candidate you like is also a vote for Mary Lou and for more money for the wasters on social welfare and less for the ordinary hard working person who earns a decent wage. It's also a vote for a UI and that'll mean even less money in your pocket.

Financial prudence is the reason you don't vote SF.

We already have this. Ordinary hard working people on a decent wage can’t afford to rent or buy houses. I suppose it depends what is considered a decent wage

They basically want to turn the country into Greece but without the nice weather.

Agreed, but the defence/deflection from their followers mentions things like the children's hospital. As if that justifies the bonkers policies they propose(d).

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Regardless of the history of the party, why vote for a party that definitely won't play any role in the next government. Nobody will work with them. Waste of a vote. Better to vote independent or green rather than SF if you're a leftie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

I think it's the outright bias in the media towards SF, Perhaps it gets to people who can't think for them self's?

Maysa07 wrote: »
    I think it's the outright bias in the media towards SF, Perhaps it gets to people who can't think for them self's?

Yep but FF leader has basically told reporters that SF shouldn’t be included in debate on RTE, it is just bizarre. I think that more and more people will vote for SF as a result of this. It reeks of arrogance that voters aren’t being given a chance to listen to the three strongest candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Jean McConville.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yep but FF leader has basically told reporters that SF shouldn’t be included in debate on RTE, it is just bizarre. I think that more and more people will vote for SF as a result of this. It reeks of arrogance that voters aren’t being given a chance to listen to the three strongest candidates.
    You'd like to think voters will engage their brains beyond their Twitter outrage and cast their eyes over the policies they might be endorsing. For some that will never happen.

On Martin, neither he nor Varadkar like SF and they rarely have a good word to say about them. The historical comments above explain why.

There's more that one debate and this one is between two leaders that we already know one of which will become taoiseach.

I don't think a single person will vote for SF on this basis. The only people complaining about this are SF voters who are voting that way anyway

is_that_so wrote: »
    You'd like to think voters will engage their brains beyond their Twitter outrage and cast their eyes over the policies they might be endorsing. For some that will never happen.

On Martin, neither he nor Varadkar like SF and they rarely have a good word to say about them. The historical comments above explain why.

Yes hopefully people will vote based on policies as opposed to outrage but we all know there are a huge amount of people that won’t do that which will be further fuelled by this

There's more that one debate and this one is between two leaders that we already know one of which will become taoiseach.

I don't think a single person will vote for SF on this basis. The only people complaining about this are SF voters who are voting that way anyway

Not necessarily. A lot of people will vote for anyone but FF or FG. I also think huge amounts of people that have never voted before will register to vote to vote anyone but FFFG

Yes hopefully people will vote based on policies as opposed to outrage but we all know there are a huge amount of people that won’t do that which will be further fuelled by this

If you were to base it on the outrage you see on social media then SF should have been the larhest party in the last election. However many of the outraged don't even bother to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Nobody who works for a living in the private sector and who has a brain would vote for a Marxist party

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The likes of Pearse Doherty is if far better caliber than anyone that FG has.also FG are financially illeterate or possibly absolutely corrupted.take Pascal Donohue's silencing senior officials about the 3bn EUR broadband cost.
    Then you have the wasted corporate tax and the chronic under investment in infrastructure. There hasn't been one major infrastructure projects in cork under fine gael for example.
    They have eroded up competitive base and if the multinationals quieten down this will become blatantly obvious.
    Of course fine Gael will tell us all to emigrate again like its some natural pressure valve that we should accept because they can't adopt a counter cyclical approach to budgeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

For me it's Warrington.

That said I will be giving SF a preference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's also a vote for a UI

How exactly does a vote for Sinn Fein in the south equal a United Ireland?

Advertisement