Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature on your farm.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Fluppen wrote: »
    Some bloody big buggers around this year alright. One came up from behind the couch here and gave my girlfriend a fright. I said 'ah it's only a little spi OH ****' one of the cats disappeared behind the couch not sure if it caught it or not. The cat came out alive though :)

Have a big one living behind the sun visor on the passenger side of the jeep.:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

blue5000 wrote: »
    Have a big one living behind the sun visor on the passenger side of the jeep.:eek:

That's my kinda jeep, that's the right job for when the ladies want to check their appearance in the visor mirror.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

We used to have goats visit every year but they haven't come since foot and mouth when most of them were culled.

I'd love to see them back again if only for briar management!

Has anyone heard of anyone attracting or buying feral goats? (I don't think any farmed ones will eat brush)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We used to have goats visit every year but they haven't come since foot and mouth when most of them were culled.

I'd love to see them back again if only for briar management!

Has anyone heard of anyone attracting or buying feral goats? (I don't think any farmed ones will eat brush)
    If you want to buy them you need a DAFM herd number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Cheeky youngfella, right up to the house. He looks to have been in the rutting wars too, most of one antler broken off.

IMG-20201129-154131.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Love the big stoned wall smartinmartin.

Buzzard, hawk and holly. Plenty of berries on them this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That stag is in fine condition.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

That stag is in fine condition.

A lot of healthy ones around here. These in the next field about 10 minutes ago.

IMG-20201201-142216.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

how does one load a video on here. ive a great video of a fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

upload the video onto youtube, then paste a copy of the link into your boards message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Natures tinsel and baubles...

4pdkkm.jpg

4pdkfj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Is this a Linnet?
    Didn't have the correct lens on the camera to get a better zoom I'm afraid.
    And the usual winter scene would be lost without Mr Robin
    4Rghomfh.jpg

LMzIUCch.jpg

gozunda wrote: »

Spindle bush, cerise and orange coloured berries.

http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=527&wildflower=Spindle
    The wood of the Spindle tree is extremely hard and, as one might guess, was used in the manufacturing of spindles for wool-spinning.

That's a Redpoll in the first picture Lady H.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Is this a Linnet?
    And the usual winter scene would be lost without Mr Robin
    4Rghomfh.jpg

LMzIUCch.jpg

Top bird is a redpoll.

The things you see when haven't got your gun. (joke).

Lol^^

Can't recall seeing a redpoll before, spent ages trying to get a picture of the long tailed tits but cripes, they don't sit still.

I invested in a telephoto lens this year, justified by Covid savings.

I thought of this fellow while trying to capture pictures of native Curlews during the Summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Thpz4OEvk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Lol^^

Can't recall seeing a redpoll before, spent ages trying to get a picture of the long tailed tits but cripes, they don't sit still.

If you puf up a nyger bir feeder you will attract loads of redpoll and goldfinch as well.

If you puf up a nyger bir feeder you will attract loads of redpoll and goldfinch as well.

Always have loads of goldfinch & blue/coal/great tits at the peanuts & fat balls. Wonder why I never seen redpoll before, though where I seen that one was the far side of the lake to the house here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

gozunda wrote: »

4pdkkm.jpg

4pdkfj.jpg

Some toerags trimmed one of our holly bushes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I've seen a few redpolls in our WBC in Aug/Sept but I never see them in the depts of Winter.

Have to get a name for this lad. Photos taken from the kitchen window so not great. Getting very relaxed around the place. Spotted something round the side of the house and went flew off investigating.

NcdJd wrote: »
    Have to get a name for this lad.

Bob. Let's call him Bob. :D

Bob. Let's call him Bob. :D

Bob the buzzard it is so. Wonder would he eat a steak and kidney pie. We had a long eared owl here one snowy night that came down and flew off with a pie I had left out for the fox. He was sitting on a post thought he was listening for mice underneath the snow..

Have to get a name for this lad. Photos taken from the kitchen window so not great. Getting very relaxed around the place. Spotted something round the side of the house and went flew off investigating.

Buzzard ?

scroll through the pictures here, 6th to the right looks like a match.
    https://birdwatchireland.ie/birds/buzzard/

Buzzard ?

scroll through the pictures here, 6th to the right looks like a match.
    https://birdwatchireland.ie/birds/buzzard/

It's a young buzzard alright Lime Tree. Very successful year for them around me. I've over 1000 pumpkins rotting away in the field here so maybe there's loads of rodents getting stuck into them and that's why he's always around :)

It's a young buzzard alright Lime Tree. Very successful year for them around me. I've over 1000 pumpkins rotting away in the field here so maybe there's loads of rodents getting stuck into them and that's why he's always around :)

That makes me sad. I used my Halloween pumpkins to make soup & the best only had pumpkin, onion, garlic, stock, milk & curry powder to make a fine meal.

That makes me sad. I used my Halloween pumpkins to make soup & the best only had pumpkin, onion, garlic, stock, milk & curry powder to make a fine meal.

I got rid of nearly half of them in the end but unfortunately a load left. I wouldnt have the patience for doing anything other than growing them ha.

• Advertisement

I got rid of nearly half of them in the end but unfortunately a load left. I wouldnt have the patience for doing anything other than growing them ha.

I just chopped them up, roasted them, scooped the flesh off & boom, soup. Understand a load of them isn't ideal for making soup though :p

Advertisement