Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature on your farm.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

A type of witches finger? :confused:

I really dont know. They were in kind of loose groups. Haven't had time to look it up tbh. Been busy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Going by Google lens, it's a dogs stinkhorn.

Lol. Great name. I'd say you're right ... :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

NcdJd wrote: »
    Going by Google lens, it's a dogs stinkhorn.

I'm familiar with the Stinkhorn, you often smell it before you see it . Like a lot of fungi it's well named, but I never heard of a dogs Stinkhorn.

It's a great looking fungi.

Actually was looking at a note from Michael Viney in the Irish Times, he said the dog stickhorn has more of a redder cap whereas the stinkhorn looks to be what Gozunda came across.

• Advertisement

I'm familiar with the Stinkhorn, you often smell it before you see it . Like a lot of fungi it's well named, but I never heard of a dogs Stinkhorn.

It's a great looking fungi.

There's quite a bit of it in the hedge where I found that one knocked over.

Just looked it up (thanks NcdJd). Its definitely the dogs Stinkhorn.
    Mutinus caninus, the Dog Stinkhorn, is harder to find than the Common Stinkhorn, Phallus impudicus, because it is rather less smelly and much less widespread in its distribution. This is also a much smaller fruitbody.

https://www.first-nature.com/fungi/mutinus-caninus.php

Tbh I've noticed a lot of unusual types of fungi this year. I think the near permanent damp conditions are encouraging their growth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Twice I have spotted what I think is a bird of prey, of which I didn't think there were any in this area.
    About the size of a small crow, but with the wide wings and distinctive shape.
    The bottom of the wings have some kind of pattern on them, for want of a better comparison its similar to some kind of animal print. Im not doing a very good description.
    Any ideas?
    Im on the Atlantic coast beside the ocean and there are no trees.

Twice I have spotted what I think is a bird of prey, of which I didn't think there were any in this area.
    About the size of a small crow, but with the wide wings and distinctive shape.
    The bottom of the wings have some kind of pattern on them, for want of a better comparison its similar to some kind of animal print. Im not doing a very good description.
    Any ideas?
    Im on the Atlantic coast beside the ocean and there are no trees.

Have a look at these man

Any of these match what you saw ?

4 egrets flew over the house this morning when I was letting out the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Fluppen

Lol thanks, I spent ages trying to go back by pressing the little arrow on you screenshot :D

Something a little smaller than the birds of prey, very cute though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The amount of snipe around here these days is insane. I always hear them when out walking at night.
    No more ferrets since though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

The amount of snipe around here these days is insane. I always hear them when out walking at night.
    No more ferrets since though!

Is there anything as spooky as a snipe drumming?

Is there anything as spooky as a snipe drumming?

A vixen screaming :pac:

If you didn't know what the snipe was though, it would definitely be very eerie to hear.

A vixen screaming :pac:

If you didn't know what the snipe was though, it would definitely be very eerie to hear.

The foxes that do be out the back door every night sometimes frighten the bejaysus out of me in the early hours. Single glaze glass can hear everything.

Barn Owls can also have scary calls.

The foxes that do be out the back door every night sometimes frighten the bejaysus out of me in the early hours. Single glaze glass can hear everything.

Barn Owls can also have scary calls.

Never seen or heard any owls around here, know there's some up the road though. Forgot to say I seen a red squirrel scampering about on the road when I was walking the other evening. Never seen any greys around here at all, it's always reds which is great.

Never seen or heard any owls around here, know there's some up the road though. Forgot to say I seen a red squirrel scampering about on the road when I was walking the other evening. Never seen any greys around here at all, it's always reds which is great.

No reds here yet, but I keep looking out for them, hopefully it's only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The first time I heard owls at night, I was convinced that some drunk had fallen asleep in a ditch and was snoring his head off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Have a look at these man

Any of these match what you saw ?

The bottom of the wings look like the 2nd image, what kind of bird is it?

The bottom of the wings look like the 2nd image, what kind of bird is it?

Peregrine Falcon, fastest bird on the planet. Can reach 170 kph in 2 seconds flat on a dive and I see the max kph is 390. Nature's answer to the SR71.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Juliet799

There are so many birds in my yard, I can't remember all of them. a few birds that come often are sparrow, cardinal, woodpecker, goldfinch, blue Jay. That great to see a lot of birds. I like watching birds through the window so I installed a feeder in my kitchen window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

We throw leftovers out for the birds/cats whatever eats it, Have a flat piece of wood on top of a fence post, lately a badger has been eating from it, about 5metres from the house

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭endainoz

The screech from a barn owl could well be frightening to someone who wouldn't be familiar with it. It's often been mistaken for the wail of a banshee, add to that that the owls like to roost in old buildings such as church ruins, it would be quite easy for someone to see the more sinister side to it.

Juliet799 wrote: »
    There are so many birds in my yard, I can't remember all of them. a few birds that come often are sparrow, cardinal, woodpecker, goldfinch, blue Jay. That great to see a lot of birds. I like watching birds through the window so I installed a feeder in my kitchen window

Are you in the States? Reason i ask is the Cardinal. The bird of Ohio. Know that cause I have a friend living in Philly that was originally from Ohio. Told me it was the state bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

Juliet799 wrote: »

I did that on my bedroom window which is on the ground floor. It was lovely watching the birds from bed! However it attracted a rat to the feeder and while they are also cute to watch I thought it was a bad idea to let them be comfortable that close to the house so I took it down. But I think I'll install another high up on patio doors and see if that does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Attie Ross

lF7rxFUW7q4u_VifFqshyGsND8xecPEWzxmGO61uRh52_O8Va8XxtcVsH5mMaK9HyDihvSSRvt07MPlDHPlQMfzcR2-fdqmI5CI-CnCSA3lvZuCwXSQzZE8Xl-I-Ee-Gzge9oGXNqeV-f6-_FJeC_BIPSe_mCX56NcfzquGMy1Y_1RxWNhPvKFVOR17VbkNXicSrHIcGxXdcEvTJ-HlavrEGhzMYzrjv52WZ9HOMgzi5qe8w2D-zipqOCjSVXFuJ9ExdSzDExuatXwdnFwB49WflsoSf8wC1_hx8G5oSk7z1RvyftYuUyFyfwj_VxnlhHTcJjH5uItYYXWX-fU7UOeyefEXhXJciP_Uu0qXgZVmhvKCu0eDBV3yJzDEYnaM7sRM0Yqyrzxq1PCyyb6uil_KhWXqd1bb4VGcbJiq9IU-y0dB6eU5kwAJI8l0l5DxcomrsYWz9GYZNE-rIjhmJFqW21Xx5EYSk4J0nvHzZ2AyyisHIFd2oM19l3rvx5j5wOLstcC_R72tlN1AbZebbBD0Uh0YlaEAjzAL8Mbce3dBwkjCtFVkybQQrpL0wNr3C9_EMaK4HiGzB8gtidiVrOzDgLztUw0UVvQXrGAncELK33faWVr2EPplnipZIb4WB3kqRZLGRn5WTOE-0lIXU_MG7lfzmzSPOrK5dozMcRCjUQuIHBaLQO2h6sY15=w469-h625-no?authuser=0

dog found this boy one morning a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

has a nice video of the tiny saw-whet owl, named Rocky, being released back to the wild.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40089470.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3WBhdAv7ks

534246.jpg

I always find these so impressive, whether in flight or standing :).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

This guy came into the farm office.

20201126-222034.jpg

Probably looking for a mouse.

This guy came into the farm office.

Probably looking for a mouse.

Some bloody big buggers around this year alright. One came up from behind the couch here and gave my girlfriend a fright. I said 'ah it's only a little spi OH ****' one of the cats disappeared behind the couch not sure if it caught it or not. The cat came out alive though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

This guy came into the farm office.....

Probably best to just set fire to the farm.

Advertisement