Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature on your farm.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

As a matter of interest what farmers on here have actually seen the following reclusive animals on their farms or close by?
    • stoats
    • pine martens
    • badgers (live ones)
    • otters
    • lizards
    • pygmy shrew

Growing up on a farm I only saw a lizard once, a stoat once, otters once or twice but never saw a live badger or a pine marten either dead or alive. I saw a couple of dead shrews as well (mistakenly referred to as field mice).

I've seen all of them in my 43 years but lizards are the rarest. I know where the rest are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Plenty stoats and badgers, but only saw a red squirrel only once locally and he was dead.

This art in the Guardian on the abundant life in a hedgerow may interest some:
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/02/reservoirs-of-life-hedgerows-help-uk-net-zero-2050-aoe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

blue5000 wrote: »
    Heard her barking, I think it's the vixens that do the barking during the mating season. Open to correction though if anybody else knows more as I could be wrong.

It’s the dog that barks, the vixen has that blood curdling screech.. many years ago when checking sheep lambing in the fields at night they often put the heart sideways in me 😳!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I occasionally see pine martins hunting in the wbc. There is a family of stoats nearby and see badgers crossing the road at night, the odd shrew but haven't seen an otter in a long time at the lake. I've never seen a lizard in these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    It’s the dog that barks, the vixen has that blood curdling screech.. many years ago when checking sheep lambing in the fields at night they often put the heart sideways in me ��!

Many years ago out flyfishing about 12:30 on a lovely summers night. Vixen screeched and raised the hackles as it does and then something large cold and wet touched the back of my neck.

I jumped about six feet in the air and let out a screech that probably frightened everything within a mile.

When the panic subsided I realised that one of the bullocks in the field that I'd forgotten were there was the culprit :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

It’s the dog that barks, the vixen has that blood curdling screech.. many years ago when checking sheep lambing in the fields at night they often put the heart sideways in me 😳!

Foxes have a huge range of weird screams and barks. They are the obvious candidate for the banshee myth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPFTEuT3d4I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

A stoat is a strange looking creature when you up close to one. Head the size of a horse chestnut. To think the can take down a rabbit. Was cutting back a large blackthorn hedge and there was a rabbit squealing and it stopped after a while and the stoat came up a branch and looked at me for a minute and scarppered.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

NcdJd wrote: »
    A stoat is a strange looking creature when you up close to one. Head the size of a horse chestnut. To think the can take down a rabbit. Was cutting back a large blackthorn hedge and there was a rabbit squealing and it stopped after a while and the stoat came up a branch and looked at me for a minute and scarppered.

Are they that small? They'd be a good smaller than a pine marten so?

Are they that small? They'd be a good smaller than a pine marten so?

It looked very small to me Stationmaster. It was one of the reasons I can still remember it, wasn't expecting it to be so small and skinny. Unless it was a juvenile.

It looked very small to me Stationmaster. It was one of the reasons I can still remember it, wasn't expecting it to be so small and skinny. Unless it was a juvenile.

It's mad that I've never seen one. We have an abundance of wild animals around us here (I forgot to mention hares too in my previous post - what an amazing looking animal) but I've never seen a stoat or even heard of one around.

• Advertisement

It's mad that I've never seen one. We have an abundance of wild animals around us here (I forgot to mention hares too in my previous post - what an amazing looking animal) but I've never seen a stoat or even heard of one around.

It was the one and only time I've seen one here. All the hares are gone from around here. Only place I see hares now is up at Dublin Airport. If this covid thing ever goes away and things return to normal, if your heading off for your holidays keep an eye out for them grazing on the grass as your heading for the terminals. They are so used to the public you can stand 30 foot away from them and they wouldn't take any heed if ya. When they were around our area they be gone as soon as you enter the field. Lovely creatures.

Yea, the hares are a great looking animal. Very lucky that we have so many here in east clare. Usually spotted around dawn and/or dusk.

Just looked it up - the pine marten is about 3 times bigger than a stoat I reckon - every day is a school day!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Yea, the hares are a great looking animal. Very lucky that we have so many here in east clare. Usually spotted around dawn and/or dusk.

Just looked it up - the pine marten is about 3 times bigger than a stoat I reckon - every day is a school day!

Yea, stoats are quite small and slim and hide in hedges and walls so that's why they are not spotted too often. Where I grew up the old timers always referred to them as weasels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Hard to believe Weasels are even smaller(I know we don't have them here) - I think the Irish stoat is smaller than the British one as its filling a niche that would have been filled if Weasels had got here before the landbridge with Britain disappeared 10k years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Did anyone else hear of the old 'stoat funeral' píseog?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Plenty hares around here too. Am relatively lucky to have badgers in all 3 patches of ground. Badgers setts in all of them too. Have hen harriers for the last 2 years too. Red squirrels in a patch of oak and hazel woodland. Haven't seen a pine marten around yet. My OH has lizards in their home place in N Kerry but I've never seen them myself. Have only seen 1 stoat a good many years back crossing a road. No otters around as far as I know but the rivers are pretty small, more like streams

Go on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Go on :)

Eeeeh as far as I can remember it's that when an old stoat dies (king stoat??) the stoats hold a funeral procession as such. So that a long procession of stoats can be seen, one following the other.

It's likely only tosh but I love those old tales.

Eeeeh as far as I can remember it's that when an old stoat dies (king stoat??) the stoats hold a funeral procession as such. So that a long procession of stoats can be seen, one following the other.

A train of stoats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Never knock a piseog. I had to move my house 20m because of one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Le shovelle

Father in law told me that same story a few years back. I thought he was winding me up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

That's what this one was doing, screeching, but not constantly. What does a barking fox sound like?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

blue5000 wrote: »
    That's what this one was doing, screeching, but not constantly. What does a barking fox sound like?

I always thought it was the female vixen that shrieks when in heat, calling for a mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

We've nearly 5 acres and surrounded by grazing.

Plenty of pheasants, rabbits and an occasional fox( though not seen it in the back garden in a long time)
    Wife saw a stoat last year.

Do chickens count? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Alanm2020

A pair of Swans decided to make themselves at home along the river at the bottom of my fields since around November or so. Unreal amount of shrew about this time of year especially at night. Have spotted a few fox Cubs along one of the ditches but never can get the chance to capture them on camera as it's mostly at night and spot them with a torch. Also notice a heron along the river. Plenty of pheasants about but strangely no real sign of any rabbits usually there's a few about. Plenty of wild mushrooms and stuff growing anyone able to identify this type in the pic I attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

On my 10 minute commute this morning I spotted both a badger and a hare

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    On my 10 minute commute this morning I spotted both a badger and a hare
    I've noticed a few hares on the move in the last week on the farm. It's coming into their breeding season.

Badger tracks.

Badger tracks.
    They have very long claws as you can see in your pics. Hopefully your badgers are TB free as there ain't many livestock farms in your area.

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    They have very long claws as you can see in your pics. Hopefully your badgers are TB free as there ain't many livestock farms in your area.

True Base, we've a good few around the area. I notice too that they to be digging alot of little holes near the edges of the fields. I thought they were rabbits but now I'm convinced it's the badgers rooting for food.

My neighbour has livestock but never had any hassle touch wood.

Advertisement