Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bored of Vaping......

Options
  • 02-12-2016 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Lately I've been tiring of the hassle that is vaping... What was once an enjoyable method to stay away from the smokes has recently become a chore and what feels like a continuous frustrating obsession to obtain this weeks shiny new mod or tank..Stuff like "Damn i need more cotton" or "crap i dont have this concentrate to make this mix that ill probably end up hating anyway".. The amount of time invested(wasted) in twisting bits of wire, rolling bits of cotton, dribbling smelly flavours and gooey bases all over the place... flicking through pages upon pages of random vape related topics and Chinese websites has just become exhaustive.. Im thinking it may be time to box up my Vape gear and stick it in the attic with my xbox... cue rant end..

Anyone else get to this stage yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Not done yet with vaping , but I think I'm done with buying mods and tanks . For me it seems like it was an endless search for something that I already had . I don't think I would quit vaping because for me it was more of a substitute for smoking rather than a way of quitting altogether . I am tiring of all the trappings that go with it as a hobby though .

PS: I begs first refusal on the tobeco kayfun 5

PPS: xbox in the attic ? , gaming pc in the sitting room with BF1 going from 10 until 12 !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

I'm retired so time is not a problem for me,I have over 50 mods going at the same time,so every 6 months to a year I might change out the wicks or coils,I have a bigger majority of RBA's in my tanks,I do have 10 tanks with stock coils & they last me about 8 months to a year,I find that round robin vaping suits me & it doesn't knock the bollox out of my mods or tanks.
    I can imagine if I was back at a full time job,time would be very precious,you've had more problems with tanks than most,so chucking your gear in the attic sounds appropriate but don't go back to smoking,I would try a complete new setup before you stop completely,you gotta have that nic hit :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

Yeah I get this. I've tuned out completely from the vaping world and all the new tanks/mods etc. It did seem like an unending quest for perfection at one stage. I settled on a setup that works for me every day (previously kf 4 and now kf 5) and ignore all the rest, I've even left Facebook groups etc as they seem to feed that constant quest.

In terms of liquid, I also just settled on two diy reliables that I use every day. Occasionally I'll buy a premium liquid (ripe vapes VCT still my all time favourite liquid) but only for special occasions! I've also brought the nic down to 1.5 mg which isn't a lot in a 1.6ohm mtl tank, so the end game is nic free.

Sometimes you just gotta do what's right for you and what is going to keep you smoke free. Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭247music

I'm retired so time is not a problem for me,I have over 50 mods going at the same time.

50! sweet jesus man.. thats a bit mental.. But when i think about it i have probably had about 40 mods pass through my own hands.. but most ive sold on and only keeping 8 at the moment..

you've had more problems with tanks than most,so chucking your gear in the attic sounds appropriate.

Ha ha.. actually i would think i have been luckier than most with my tanks.. Only the odd one or two ever caused me any major grief.. and Ive kept only the ones that i like.. I would say i have an obsession with rtas which leaves me with around 30 different tanks.. not enough mods and only one mouth :)

don't go back to smoking,I would try a complete new setup before you stop completely,you gotta have that nic hit

Nah that'll never happen.. tbh i think Im done buying gear and im defo done with smoking.. Vaping had done its part there.

jonski wrote:
    Not done yet with vaping , but I think I'm done with buying mods and tanks . For me it seems like it was an endless search for something that I already had . I don't think I would quit vaping because for me it was more of a substitute for smoking rather than a way of quitting altogether . I am tiring of all the trappings that go with it as a hobby though .

I totally agree.. Gear just changes too quickly to keep up with all the hype
    jonski wrote:
    PS: I begs first refusal on the tobeco kayfun 5

Sure thing, if it comes to that..

jonski wrote:
    PPS: xbox in the attic ? , gaming pc in the sitting room with BF1 going from 10 until 12 ![/quote

Yes.. xbox in the attic since my first daughter was born, shes nine now... I dont even know what you mean by BF1?

• Advertisement

bd2012 wrote:
    Yeah I get this. I've tuned out completely from the vaping world and all the new tanks/mods etc. It did seem like an unending quest for perfection at one stage. I settled on a setup that works for me every day (previously kf 4 and now kf 5) and ignore all the rest, I've even left Facebook groups etc as they seem to feed that constant quest.

Thats what i find lately.. of all the gear in my press.. I always grab my beater setup which is the oldest and most battered of all the crap i have.. I think whats the point? end of the day its liquid on cotton being heated by a coil.. Ive halfway left FB.. kind of just limited my access to it and ya your right, not having new gear shoved in your face is an immediate relief straight away.. but i think that is what reinforcing my change of heart about it all...

bd2012 wrote:
    In terms of liquid, I also just settled on two diy reliables that I use every day. Occasionally I'll buy a premium liquid (ripe vapes VCT still my all time favourite liquid) but only for special occasions! I've also brought the nic down to 1.5 mg which isn't a lot in a 1.6ohm mtl tank, so the end game is nic free.

Ripes vapes vct is one my favourites also.. hard to get these days tho..

247music wrote: »
    Ripes vapes vct is one my favourites also.. hard to get these days tho..

Bought up a few bottles a while back when ivape were having a sale. Just had a quick check, very limited stock alright!

bd2012 wrote:
    Bought up a few bottles a while back when ivape were having a sale. Just had a quick check, very limited stock alright!

Must see if anyone has successfully replicated it at any stage.. would be nice to have a decent clone of it.

Must see if anyone has successfully replicated it at any stage.. would be nice to have a decent clone of it.

There is a recipe for it on that French site (diypourlesnuls) (spelling??) that is supposed to be good. Think the secret ingredient was almond! Haven't tried it though so can't say what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I' not bored of vaping, but I have gotten bored of the vaping scene. As in, I don't watch the latest reviews anymore, unless it's something I want specifically. Where I used to watch most of the daily reviews from certain youtubers. It does get a bit much over time. I preferred vaping when it was less popular tbh, back when there was no threat to it, because the big shots didn't see it as a money spinner.

The whole GAS thing has thankfully passed for me, I don't care what mod or tank I use, so long as it delivers a pleasant vape. I did fall into that a bit for a while. I think vapers need other hobbies :D I see some and they're obsessed, they seem to do nothing else BUT rant about vaping and vape gear and quote supposed vape 'icons' and go to all the events etc ... Just not me.

I love the DIY side of it though still, I've always been the creative type, and I enjoy the process. And sometimes the results :D I also see it as a big money saver, because I would go through €60 a week on juice alone otherwise. I can get enough DIY supplies in that to do me months [just have this week] I only mix for me and my partner, so I'm under zero pressure, it's just a nice little side hobby and money saver.

I'll buy new tanks and/or mods when the ones I have fall apart. And I am not bothered with pricey shiny stuff. They all do the same job. Nobody has even complimented one of my devices, they all look the same to non vapers especially. But some think nothing of spending €500 on a mod and tank! Nope ...

Getting back into photography has helped this change in my case.

• Advertisement

bd2012 wrote:
    There is a recipe for it on that French site (diypourlesnuls) (spelling??) that is supposed to be good. Think the secret ingredient was almond! Haven't tried it though so can't say what it's like.

Had a quick look on there a while back alright...anything worth mentioning outside of the vtc?

I'll buy new tanks and/or mods when the ones I have fall apart. And I am not bothered with pricey shiny stuff. They all do the same job. Nobody has even complimented one of my devices, they all look the same to non vapers especially. But some think nothing of spending €500 on a mod and tank! Nope ...

I never got this either..Dearest item i ever bought was a vaporshark @ 160 quid.. still have it and its still perfect, never plan on selling it but I cant see my self ever spending that much on one item again.. Its madness spending 500 quid on a mod i think, but then thats what floats some peoples boat and thats fine, its their money...

Had a quick look on there a while back alright...anything worth mentioning outside of the vtc?

Honestly I wouldn't know. Been on the lazy mans mixing tip with one shots for quite a while. Nothing fancy but I like them!

bd2012 wrote:
    Honestly I wouldn't know. Been on the lazy mans mixing tip with one shots for quite a while. Nothing fancy but I like them!

No shame in that.. Ive 1000ml of those flavour boss thingys in the press :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I've taken vaping right back to simplicity for me. I have two Kafun mini v3s and four 1100 mah ego one batteries. I have a few cheap tobacco juices on the go and that's it.

Everything's is charged by micro USB cable. I don't have to worry about having 25 18650 batteries and a nitecore charger in my desk at work "just in case". That's all bollocks.

I still have two drawers full of mods and juices I've bought over the years which I must do something about

At the end of the day vaping was always a means to get me off the smokes and it's succeeded in doing that and stripping it back to what it is has helped.

I never got this either..Dearest item i ever bought was a vaporshark @ 160 quid.. still have it and its still perfect, never plan on selling it but I cant see my self ever spending that much on one item again.. Its madness spending 500 quid on a mod i think, but then thats what floats some peoples boat and thats fine, its their money...

Course, they can fire away all they like. I got sick of seeing the reviewers gush over lumps of plastic and wood though. They were never going to convince me personally.

Priciest thing I ever bought vape-related was actually the Evic mini TC kit, it was €80 at the time, and I still have it. Falling apart a bit now, but working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭chipfox

I have 3 tanks and 3 mods. Only really use one a time, the others are spares/backups. Might have 2 on the go but that's it.

I mix up a few 100ml bottles of juices maybe once a month and change my coils at about the same frequency. Probably rewick every 3 days though.

It's the best balance of cheap and low time use. I'm happy with where I am and don't want to change. I love vaping and probably won't stop but it can definitely be time consuming if you don't manage it right

I mix about 200ml p.w for ADV use for 2 of us. But I'll do a few experimental mixes in between, a couple a week, whenever the mood takes me. It's cool, because once I have my ADV juices on tap, I can afford to mess about, I'm not mixing because I 'need' to, or because I'm running out - that isn't likely to happen anytime soon. More a case of "I fancy a peanut butter and banana juice" and I'll throw it together. if it works well, it'll be added to more serious mix rotation, if not I haven't really lost anything.

I haven't bought anything vape gear wise now in weeks. The Alien was the last mod I bought, using that as my main daily, got the old Evic and a Tesla nano on the side. I have 2 main tanks [Cleito RBA, Mage RTA] and one dripper [Velocity clone]. That's it really.

TinCool wrote:
    I still have two drawers full of mods and juices I've bought over the years which I must do something about

Selling anything? :p

Course, they can fire away all they like. I got sick of seeing the reviewers gush over lumps of plastic and wood though. They were never going to convince me personally.

I never got into watching reviewers at all really.. Im a naturally skeptical person anyway so believe that most reviewers are there to promote all manufacturers so as to get free gear rather than give an honest review.. maybe Im wrong saying that.. all the same i preferred to go on local peoples own experiences with any gear i was interested in..
    chipfox wrote:
    I have 3 tanks and 3 mods. Only really use one a time, the others are spares/backups. Might have 2 on the go but that's it.

There was a stage i was carrying 5 setups out the door and into the car with me.. ridiculous.. scaled it back to one or two now..

I haven't bought anything vape gear wise now in weeks. The Alien was the last mod I bought, using that as my main daily, got the old Evic and a Tesla nano on the side. I have 2 main tanks [Cleito RBA, Mage RTA] and one dripper [Velocity clone]. That's it really.

Evic is a solid mod, Ive mine wrapped in rubber since day one so its in good nick.. only thing thats wrong with it is the magnets came off the battery door.. Could superglue them but the skin holds it one anyway :)

The magnets have popped off mine too aye :D I superglued them back in, would drive me loolah otherwise. Is the skin not a royal PITA whenever you change battery?

• Advertisement

The magnets have popped off mine too aye I superglued them back in, would drive me loolah otherwise. Is the skin not a royal PITA whenever you change battery?

Nah, Not in the slightest.. Initially its a snug fit but it loosens out a bit over time and slips off without a bother whenever you need to swap out a battery.. I've skins on any mod that they are available for.. Id wreck em without it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

I know exactly where your coming from 247 and I have felt exactly the same especially over the past year.

3 and a half years vaping now, spent approx 4.5 K on it in that period of time and it's still considerably less than if I was smoking. I've gone through a vast amount of hardware in that time and passed a large quantity of it onto a lot of members here, now I'm more or less content with what I use. Like yourself I often left the house for a 10 minute drive with 4/5 mods/tanks and a litre of juice, madness really.

I stll enjoy vaping but it has become a time consuming habit and sometimes I wish I was back at the start with just a basic setup and a strong will.

Facebook has also played it's part in my becoming disillusioned with it all, it's a constant feed of shinyitis and juice which can become overpowering and makes you question your priorities at times,so I'm also pondering a Facebook break for a while.

Boards is where I started my vaping journey and it's still the best media platform for advice and everything else vaping related with some great members that I've gotten to 'know' over the years although I've only actually met 2.

Anyway keep us posted on your thoughts and if i have any euphoric thoughts or moments on this subject I'll pass them on.

BTW we could always set up an old grumpy vapers club. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

It happens to me the whole time tbh, i just a basic setup a cuboid or evic and use stock coils but then I end up getting back in again

Facebook has also played it's part in my becoming disillusioned with it all, it's a constant feed of shinyitis and juice which can become overpowering and makes you question your priorities at times,so I'm also pondering a Facebook break for a while.

Yup Doc... Dont miss Fb at all to be honest, Haven't bought anything in ages now and productivity has increased 10 fold.. lol.. I'm definitely finding it easier to be content with what i have since getting rid of it.. Now just to simplify the rest of the frustrating bits... :)
    BTW we could always set up an old grumpy vapers club.

The "Pre Tpd Vaping or feck off" Group.. I got the grumpy part down anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

BTW we could always set up an old grumpy vapers club.

I'm in! That's just how my wife describes me to her friends

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

We've lost the sad allure of finding out about the next great thing.
    Everything uses thick wires now -> less coils randomly snapping or burning from a hotspot.
    Cotton in everything -> wicking not as much of a problem.
    Batteries larger & more capable of power while mod sizes are pared down -> my dream come true.

Vaping becoming boring for people like me/us who used to ache for quality is - I think - just a sign that it's much better now than it was.
    No need to modify T2s for better wicking and all that crap, trying to rebuild a coil in a chamber the size of a rat's vag, hoping to hit that sweet spot where your coil just about manages to squeak out 10w on an eGo.

It should be simple and easy and that's essentially what's happened.
    The only thing left to talk about is either device aesthetics or juice.
    If you find your ADVs that talk becomes pointless too.
    There are always gonna be people finding out about rebuilding/DIY which keeps conversation going, but for older heads it's a repeat.

Plus all the TPD stuff has been so drawn out and fatiguing to watch.

In answer to your question, yes: staged reached. Grump acquired.

grindle wrote: »
    We've lost the sad allure of finding out about the next great thing.
    Everything uses thick wires now -> less coils randomly snapping or burning from a hotspot.
    Cotton in everything -> wicking not as much of a problem.
    Batteries larger & more capable of power while mod sizes are pared down -> my dream come true.

Vaping becoming boring for people like me/us who used to ache for quality is - I think - just a sign that it's much better now than it was.
    No need to modify T2s for better wicking and all that crap, trying to rebuild a coil in a chamber the size of a rat's vag, hoping to hit that sweet spot where your coil just about manages to squeak out 10w on an eGo.

It should be simple and easy and that's essentially what's happened.
    The only thing left to talk about is either device aesthetics or juice.
    If you find your ADVs that talk becomes pointless too.
    There are always gonna be people finding out about rebuilding/DIY which keeps conversation going, but for older heads it's a repeat.

Plus all the TPD stuff has been so drawn out and fatiguing to watch.

In answer to your question, yes: staged reached. Grump acquired.

An excellent post Grindle and you've hit the nail fair and square on the head and made it clear to me why I've become a bit disillusioned and a tad cynical with the vaping scene,I miss the fun and excitement of trawling through threads and posts looking for info and tips,lurking on posts waiting for an answer from someone to a specific relevant question. When I first started vaping I spent days,weeks going through every thread and post noting info and tips on everything I thought would be useful one day,now I'm a 'know it all' I can cut a length of wire,wrap and fit coils with minimal waste,I know how many wraps give the exact resistance without using a calculator,I can wick and be certain that I'll never get a dry hit or liquid in my gob,and there lies the problem,I DON'T HAVE TO ASK ANYTHING ANYMORE and I miss that interaction.

Vaping has come a long way in my 3/4 years,everything is so much easier nowadays,the Velocity decks make building big ass Claptons a breeze,drop half a sheet of cotton into it and away with you,but where's the fun in that,I want my pain in the ass Orchid deck or my leaky Goblin Mini back just so as I can complain about the whole process and enjoy a good vape after problem solved.

For anyone starting to vape now it's a great time,fabulous selection of good quality hardware and juice available and most of it very user friendly,20 odd squid for a Joyetech AIO and it's flawless,leakproof and a great vape,but for those of us that have been vaping for a while we need something to re kindle the interest,something to question,something to complain about,something to create an inter action with each other. Vaping is too bloody perfect these days and I want CONTROVERSARY.....in the meantime I'm loving this Isle of Custard :D

"Rats Vag".. Lol :) .. But ya i get your point.. I hated that fiddly crap, thin hair like wire that just refused to maintain any kind of a coil like shape.. Holding Needles threaded through silica while trying wrap springy wire around it to make a crude coil are things i don't miss tbh.. pure nightmare with shakey hands i tell ya.. And only after pricking with it for a half hour and squeezing it into a coil housing that wasn't designed to be taken apart, bang it on the ego battery aaaaaaaaand.. short.. bugger.. start again :)

Maybe it is the lack of the unknown and hunger for new knowledge thats missing(but we never really know everything do we ;) ).. Bah.. I found a content place again since my original post a few pages back.. Just 2 mods in use now, with 2 x 2ml tanks, 1 dual, 1 single, and its easy hassle free for the last while.. empty tank, fill tank and move on..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'm in the same boat as you. 2 tanks, 4 ego one batteries. Simple and it all works.

Advertisement