Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has your VISA card stopped working today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Visa not working here in Slovakia, luckily I have a mastercard also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Bitcoin doesn't fail

feck Visa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

squawker wrote: »
    Bitcoin doesn't fail

feck Visa

It does have a tendency to fluctuate just a tiny bit in value though as opposed to actual money.

sdanseo wrote: »
    It does have a tendency to fluctuate just a tiny bit in value though as opposed to actual money.

its the future of money, mock all you like

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Advertisement

Only if it's regulated properly, at which point its characteristics will fall generally into line with other currencies.

Can you pay with bitcoin in your local supermarket?

Only if it's regulated properly.

think you missed the whole point of Bitcoin

Kolido wrote: »
    Can you pay with bitcoin in your local supermarket?

future

ˈfjuːtʃə/Submit

noun

a period of time following the moment of speaking or writing; time regarded as still to come.

think you missed the whole point of Bitcoin

Because deregulating the currency markets won't result in any more of the type of problems we're seeing today?

• Advertisement

future

ˈfjuːtʃə/Submit

noun

a period of time following the moment of speaking or writing; time regarded as still to come.

So how about now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Kolido wrote: »
    So how about now?

I bought a GFX card last week with BtC, dunno about you

Patww79 wrote: »

maybe in your world baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

AIB visa debit card worked fine about an hour ago, and transaction is showing on the account too. I have a MasterCard credit card so wouldn’t have been stuck thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 10,037 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Ah bollix I'm heading to Portugal on Monday and i have approx €14 in my wallet and the rest in the bank. I've only got a visa debit ptsb card!!

Because deregulating the currency markets won't result in any more of the type of problems we're seeing today?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Controlled_supply

Patww79 wrote: »
    Be grand by Monday.

Hopefully 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Mr. Potter is giving 50c for every Euro you have with Visa, I'm taking It!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Made a contactless payment in Tesco and took out some cash from the ATM about an hour ago. Tis graaand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

tom1ie wrote: »
    Hopefully ��

I would try to get my hands on some cash If I were you. It's not certain what caused this - it may be a cyber attack. Although when I was in Aldi an hour ago I overheard one of the shop assistances saying they were back working it could possibly happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

tom1ie wrote: »
    Ah bollix I'm heading to Portugal on Monday and i have approx €14 in my wallet and the rest in the bank. I've only got a visa debit ptsb card!!

Lots of ptsb branches open on a Saturday, with actual people too!

AllForIt wrote: »
    Although when I was in Aldi an hour ago I overheard one of the shop assistances saying they were back working it could possibly happen again.

sounds legit

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Always on a Friday after the stockmarket closes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Took 50e from an AIB atm at 1930(ish) no problem.
    Used contactless (via Google pay on phone)payment for beer in the Offie also aib, no hassle either.

Debit card wouldn't go through in Lidl though (non contactless) (visa), but contactless visa credit went through.

Madness.

Just tapped using my ptsb visa debit when purchasing a ten pack of beer. Worked fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Mr.S wrote: »
    It's funny how angry people get when the things they take for granted stop working, half the people in Tesco earlier who got caught out where giving out to the staff like it was their fault.

In fairness, majority of work places pay only in credit payments, if the powers that be and banks want a cashless society then fail places need to be in place for stuff like this.

The fact there is either a massive cyber attack and no DR in place or both are after been taken off the grid is piss poor planning for what essentially is the architecture of the virtual payment systems.

Imagine a TIER 1 ISP going offline, with no DR like AT&T half the internet would be down. It's just unacceptable to allow such power to a company without proper fail safes in place like a completely isolated separate infrastructure in place, for situation exactly like this, this incident I imagine will cost into the 100s of millions in losses, this isn't exactly the Playstation network here.

Mastercard and Visa, should have an agreement in place that if one goes offline the other can help out. Like ISPs would.

The silence is deafening about what is actually happening too, which is very worrying, Ulster Bank done the same, thinking they had no reason to answer to the customers previously and the system was down for days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Mr.S wrote: »
    It's funny how angry people get when the things they take for granted stop working, half the people in Tesco earlier who got caught out where giving out to the staff like it was their fault.

Can confirm this was as much fun as people offering me a few euros in coppers saying 'this is all I have' when their total was for a few hundred euros :pac:

time for a drink

• Advertisement

Advertisement