Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you ever consider moving to continental Europe? And if so where?

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Brian? wrote: »

Leiden, s' Hertogenbosch (Den Bosch) and Breda are very pretty cities. Historical trading centers. But the employment prospects are lower.

https://ibecomingdutch.wordpress.com/2018/05/11/bossche-bol-bosche-ball/

I would go back just to eat more of these.

Leiden is a lovely town. Den Bosch very pretty. Breda lovely. You could live right in the centre of town and everything would be on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

https://ibecomingdutch.wordpress.com/2018/05/11/bossche-bol-bosche-ball/

I would go back just to eat more of these.

Leiden is a lovely town. Den Bosch very pretty. Breda lovely. You could live right in the centre of town and everything would be on your doorstep.

Leiden is where I live and yeah it is lovely I have to say but it's old and historic so building is very restricted leading to a very large housing shortage in and around the city. If you like the look of cities a bit more inland like Den Bosch I would seriously consider it as there's going to be more housing with slightly less demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

yer man! wrote: »
    Leiden is where I live and yeah it is lovely I have to say but it's old and historic so building is very restricted leading to a very large housing shortage in and around the city. If you like the look of cities a bit more inland like Den Bosch I would seriously consider it as there's going to be more housing with slightly less demand.

looks very nice indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

It's a beautiful town, but I know someone living there and it's an absolute nightmare with tourists. I couldn't be dealing with the thousands of them being bused in from Salzburg every single day!

Hallstatt. Visited there two years ago. Stunning place but not somewhere that I would want to live. The nearby town of Bad Ischl had a lovely vibe to it though. The whole area gave you a feeling of being very isolated but with modern conveniences.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,155 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Limerick is completely safe. There are maybe two/ three run down areas, none of which need to be visited, and they keep largely to themselves.

There was an issue with gangs (mostly affected those in the aforementioned areas) which were allowed to run around in the 90s but these were wiped out by determined Garda operations at the end of the 90s/ early 2000s, and the introduction of the Special Criminal Court.

People are friendly and humble and proud of their city. They are welcoming and want you to like the city too.

It has a good balance between urban/ rural, and all the facilities you would expect of a city, with great nature that is easily accesible (the Shannon/ hillwalks) and very nice towns surrounding to spend time in (Kilaloe/ Adare).

The University of Limerick is the nicest campus in Ireland. Very green and world class sporting facilities (big gym, running tracks, astro pitches, climbing walls, olympic swimming pool).

The National Technological Park is built around the university and has lots of multinationals. There are others around the Dooradoyle/ Raheen area too. Regeneron may be a fit for you, and they are hiring.

Sport probably isn't your thing, but Limerick is mad for sport too, particularly Rugby and hurling. A visit to a Munster match in Thomond Park is a must.

The pubs are great, though the nightclubs may be a little lacking. There's a very good range of restaurants and they are improving all the time. Limerick has the best Japanese restaurant I've been to in Ireland (Kyoto), and the best Indian (Copper and Spice).

Cheers for writing this. Wish there was a bookmark function.

Sport wouldn't be my thing but I do haul myself to a gym a few times a week so a well equipped one would be welcome.

I saw Regeneron and there's a spot in Castletroy I could find work in. I wouldn't be after a load of nightclubs to be honest, just somewhere nice I can live quietly enough and not be murdered or hassled (within reason). To reiterate, I stopped thinking of Limerick as "stab city" some time ago.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
Advertisement