Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-05-2012, 22:12   #1
DaveNoCheese

Machine Head Appreciation Thread

Seeing as MH are playing tonight in Dublin and I ain't there, said I would start an appreciation thread for the band.

First heard machine head about 2004/05 in a mates room, huddled around his computer in the dark (no homo ). We were listening to a bunch of random tracks from Lamb of God, Lacuna Coil, Godsmack and many others.

All of a sudden I hear these amazing drums... Imperium had started playing Was hooked straight away, listened to it day and night.

Saw them live in London when they opened for Slipknot recently. Was last minute thing so was stuck in the cheap seats up back but was still amazing!

Thing with the head is, you both love and hate them. Many a classic and then there are songs that you think to yourself "seriously, what the hell?!"

Will always be a fan though

Last edited by DaveNoCheese; 31-05-2012 at 09:26.
Advertisement
30-05-2012, 22:17   #2
TIMR007ROX

Saw MH at the Academy gig about two years ago. Didn't have standing tickets but everyone on the balcony just stood anyway Support acts were good and MH were awesome, but the sound in the academy was quite s**t tbh. Have been a fan since The Blackening
30-05-2012, 23:25   #3
GKiraly

Been a fan of these guys since the late 90's and apart from The Burning Red, the rest of their stuff is brilliant. Through the Ashes of Empires is awesome.
On the downside however, seen as theyre playing in Dublin tonight, I've seen them twice and the sound was'nt great in either gig, in Belfast a few years ago where the echo was brutal and at the Olympia with Hatebreed (how good are they live?!) last time out where I came home deaf as a post, so no, wasnt in a hurry get tickets for tonights show!
30-05-2012, 23:30   #4
Nailz

Savage show! I even saw our very own mod, Lord Lucan, lurking about in all his glory around the Olympia bar.*

*I love my boards anonymity.
31-05-2012, 00:00   #5
lord lucan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
Savage show! I even saw our very own mod, Lord Lucan, lurking about in all his glory around the Olympia bar.*

*I love my boards anonymity.
Feckin' stalker
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-05-2012, 00:06   #6
lord lucan

Great show tonight. Hung around the back this time and my ears weren't assaulted like they have been at previous MH shows. They still need to sort out the vocals in the mix though,Rob is drowned out by the guitars.

Funny old crowd tonight,highlight was........... HALO,HALO,HALOOOOO OLE OLE OLE OLE,OLE,OLE! Only in Ireland!
31-05-2012, 01:25   #7
entropi
Mark It Zero!!

Amazing gig tonight, definitely a highlight of my year! Those chants of Olé Olé Olé, were nothing short of awesome!

Lived in the pit for the entire gig, and with only a slight right-sided hearing loss, it was a lot of fun
31-05-2012, 01:29   #8
TheStickyBandit

I both love and hate this band!
31-05-2012, 08:14   #9
Malice

Send a message via Skype™ to Malice
I got into Machine Head in 1994. Having already been completed blown away by Fear Factory's Demanufacture the same year, Burn My Eyes was another uncompromising dose of heavy yet melodic metal. They kind of lost their way a bit with The Burning Red and Supercharger although I have a soft spot for the cover of Message in a Bottle. Thankfully their recent albums (although now that I look at the release date I realise Through the Ashes of Empires isn't that recent any more ) have been much improved with each album containing at least one song that could fit easily on a "Best of" compilation.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-05-2012, 08:24   #10
perfectisthe

Like Malice, I got into them in 1994, although I must confess I haven't truly enjoyed any of their albums since TMTC. Good show last night, couldn't hear a word from Flynn though...
31-05-2012, 09:27   #11
DaveNoCheese

Ah lads don't talk about the show, tis no fair
31-05-2012, 09:51   #12
Seth Brundle
Error: 404 Personality Not Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNoCheese View Post
Ah lads don't talk about the show, tis no fair
Ignore them.
The show was noisy with lots of sweaty people doing this viscous form of "dance" whereby they were charging and slamming into each other. The fact that Mr. Flynn encouraged people to participate in this primitive behaviour was quite unpleasant. Others who did not participate in these thuggish antics simply shook their heads violently whilst apparently playing a non-existent guitar. Quite strange!

The preceding acts were equally as noisy with similar forms of "dancing" taking place.

It was simply most vulgar - you would not have liked to have been there.

(Machine F*****g Head! - woo hoo - \m/ )
31-05-2012, 11:33   #13
Malice

Send a message via Skype™ to Malice
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbannon View Post
lots of sweaty people doing this viscous form of "dance"
Sounds sticky!
31-05-2012, 12:18   #14
Seth Brundle
Error: 404 Personality Not Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice View Post
Sounds sticky!
Can't type today - body sore, ears ringing.
31-05-2012, 13:02   #15
thebourke

Send a message via Skype™ to thebourke
personally i have always hated the ole ole ole crap at metal gigs....its boring at this stage...good show last night...but you are right..the sounds wasn't the best...at least it wasn't as loud as the last time
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion