Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machine Head Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

lord lucan wrote: »
    Full set from Rock Am Ring.
    Yoink as the sound quality seems really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭weisses

Epic set they played

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Seems Joel McIver is writing a book about MH called "Into The Machine",due for release in October. Have a couple of his books about Metallica and Cliff Burton and i like his style so really looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I am clearly very late to the game here, but I have just been listening to hellalive all day, it's brilliant, can't wait to see them at download now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

darryn wrote: »
    I am clearly very late to the game here, but I have just been listening to hellalive all day, it's brilliant, can't wait to see them at download now

Will also check them out at download me thinks the clash with opeth is appalling though but after goin to the recent Olympia show and watchin the rock am ring set posted here the choice will more than likely be mh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I am clearly very late to the game here

You are, yes, you are

....THEY'RE INCREDIBLE....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

I am clearly very late to the game here

You are, yes, you are

....THEY'RE INCREDIBLE....:D

+1

They're band you have to sit down and properly listen to, once you do though, you won't regret it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Been listening to a lot of Evile since the gig last week.

Thought the sound was really good when they were on. Donno who does Machine Heads sound at the gigs. They almost always get it wrong.

Saying that it was a million times better than the last one in the Olympia.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Newly released video for "Darkness Within" :)

Linky

Edit: Should have probably stuck a NSFW tag on there too.

Great video. I normally pay no attention to music videos these days but that was well worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Thought the sound was really good when they were on. Donno who does Machine Heads sound at the gigs. They almost always get it wrong.

Absolutely, sound was abysmal when they played support to Slayer in the SFX back in 1994.

Olympia gig in 2010 was awful soundwise as well, had tinnitis for days afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Has anyone picked up a copy of the new live album yet? Reviews for it have been pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I had a bad introduction to Machine Head - Supercharger - I remember hearing that album and thinking I was going to need new ears....Crashing Around You had it's charms but when I saw the video (I don't like Iron Maiden) it put me off

On my 18th my brother bought me Hellalive, which had just been released that month, and it became my bible. I'd been into Metallica and the likes (I was actually going to see Metallica that August, my ticket was my 18th present) but there was something about Machine Head - tracks like I'm Your God Now and The Burning Red - that I enjoyed so much....I just started to learn more and more about their music from this particular live album

A few months after Metallica I saw Machine Head for the first time, I actually found out about the gig before it had been announced on the bands website, buying my ticket (for about 30 Euro if memory serves me) to see them on Halloween night - or near enough - in the Ambassador. I also got their new album, at the time, a few days after that gig and just couldn't get enough of them. I also remember that week because it was the week I got my first college job, started working in a cinema.

Since that I saw Machine Head several times, in 2009 I saw them perform with Metallica and The Sword on the UK Death Magnetic tour twice, and I met and interviewed Phil as well. I remember the interview being in the canteen and Rob Flynn just sticking his head through the door and saying something like "has anyone seen Adam?" to which we all just shook our heads and then he took off again....surreal, especially because James Hetfield was getting his roast dinner next to him

In February 2010 I saw Machine Head again with Bleeding Through, Hatebreed and Rise to Remain...I interviewed Phil again and met the whole band that night, they were in this tiny dressing room and Dave was sitting next to me on his laptop while I was interviewing Phil....very very strange day....

Yeah I've been a fan of that band almost as long as I've been a fan of Metal, they are the "People's Metal Band" and I would also consider them my Generation's Pantera...even though they are probably also considered this generation's Pantera...and have been around nearly long enough to actually be Pantera.

The only thing that ticks me off about Machine Head is their constant reinvention, I find it frustrating (and I've only been a fan of the band since 2003) so I would imagine that any long term fans - who maybe saw them open for Slayer in the Ambassador in 1994 - just can't believe this is the same band. In some ways it is and in some ways it isn't, Machine Head have managed to stay constant and fresh for whatever generation that comes. And while that shouldn't be critical, I prefer on a personal level for my bands to grow with me, or mature with time...so that I feel as if they're on a personal journey too...with Machine Head I feel the fans are getting younger and younger and I'm just getting older lol

But a great, great band....taped this in 2010....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv_NrS_Zr34

Has anyone picked up a copy of the new live album yet? Reviews for it have been pretty good.

Didn't even know they had one out. Thanks for the heads up.:)

@Motley Crue, thats a very passionate post like ta read those kinds I got into Machine Head due to the drilling the vein series twas take my scars on that particular VHS went to the local bricks & mortar they only had burn my eyes loved the cover wanted to check out the band regardless so picked it up never looked back since savage band...on the Supercharger album I understand to a certain extent how you'd dismiss the band after it I personally enjoyed Bulldozer,only the names & deafening silence but also see it as there lowest point (like most MH fans do)

@lord lucan yep new release brings back memories if you happened to be at the Olympia gig this year (chants of the album title throughout) its enjoyable but not to the quality of the mentioned Hellalive in my opinion but in fairness it had a lot to live up to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

"Supercharger" gets a bad rap imo. To me it was the last MH album where Robb was actually playing the music he wanted to play. There are some stinkers on that album but there are also some proper decent tracks on there, same goes for "The Burning Red". Those albums were a mistake but at least there was an honesty to them that I feel has been lost since "Through the ashes.."

I was a huge MH fan back in the day but I believe he has spent the last decade pandering to the close minded fans who gave out about "Supercharger" and "The Burning Red", with each subsequent album being more and more Metallica/Iron Maidenised, because apparently that's "real" metal. I got into MH because I didn't like Metallica or Maiden so it annoys me that they went this way. The first two albums are still far and away their best imo and they haven't topped them since.

Yes they've certainly improved over the years in terms of musical ability and don't get me wrong, I still rate them as one of the most exciting live metal bands to this day.

But "The Blackening" was where I started to tune out, too much of this harmonic choir singing going on that began with "Through the ashes..." , too much of this duelling guitar solo nonsense which is fine when used sparingly but it felt like this was utilised on nearly every single track. Again, these albums had a few decent tracks between them but the band I fell in love with in the 90's are long gone.

I do not like "Unto the locust" at all. I have tried, believe me I have tried to find enjoyment in it but I just can't, there are some decent riffs in there as usual and a couple of the songs sound decent live, but the overall feel of the album is just not what got me into this band in the first place. That "Darkness within" song is utter tripe to me.

Feel free to tear me apart for this or ignore this post completely, I'm not trying to hate on the band (who will always have my utmost respect for what they've achieved and long may it continue) or the fans who dig the new stuff but that's how I've felt about this band for a while now.

Continuing with the recent trend of band members parting ways,Adam Duce has decided to part ways with MH.

http://www.machinehead1.com/board_posts/machine-head-and-bassist-adam-duce-part-ways

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Damn, I really liked Adam, shame to see him leave

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

"Supercharger" gets a bad rap imo. To me it was the last MH album where Robb was actually playing the music he wanted to play. There are some stinkers on that album but there are also some proper decent tracks on there, same goes for "The Burning Red". Those albums were a mistake but at least there was an honesty to them that I feel has been lost since "Through the ashes.."

I was a huge MH fan back in the day but I believe he has spent the last decade pandering to the close minded fans who gave out about "Supercharger" and "The Burning Red", with each subsequent album being more and more Metallica/Iron Maidenised, because apparently that's "real" metal. I got into MH because I didn't like Metallica or Maiden so it annoys me that they went this way. The first two albums are still far and away their best imo and they haven't topped them since.

Yes they've certainly improved over the years in terms of musical ability and don't get me wrong, I still rate them as one of the most exciting live metal bands to this day.

But "The Blackening" was where I started to tune out, too much of this harmonic choir singing going on that began with "Through the ashes..." , too much of this duelling guitar solo nonsense which is fine when used sparingly but it felt like this was utilised on nearly every single track. Again, these albums had a few decent tracks between them but the band I fell in love with in the 90's are long gone.

I do not like "Unto the locust" at all. I have tried, believe me I have tried to find enjoyment in it but I just can't, there are some decent riffs in there as usual and a couple of the songs sound decent live, but the overall feel of the album is just not what got me into this band in the first place. That "Darkness within" song is utter tripe to me.

Feel free to tear me apart for this or ignore this post completely, I'm not trying to hate on the band (who will always have my utmost respect for what they've achieved and long may it continue) or the fans who dig the new stuff but that's how I've felt about this band for a while now.

Wow. You're the first person I've come across with the same views on MH as myself. My favourite album is Supercharger. Not because its nu-metal (which I have nothing against) but its just a band having some fun and trying to forge a different path. Same for the burning red before it. Think I listened to locust and blackening once each and nothing stood out so they're gathering dust somewhere. Great musicianship but theres plenty of technical bands out there with better tunes. Supercharger still gets a whirl in the old player once a fortnight or so, which is no mean feat for a supposedly "awful" album.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

The full beans are spilled on why Machine Head fired Adam Duce:

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=186741

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Jeez, had no idea it was so bad

The full beans are spilled on why Machine Head fired Adam Duce:

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=186741

He certainly never gave the impression of somebody going through the motions anytime i seen them recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Machine Head's new bass player, jared maceachern

9206163908_92b4542309_h.jpg

Well may as well bump this, Machine Head released a demo version of their new song Killers And Kings for Record Store Day this year.

Machine Head have settled their dispute with Adam Duce............ And in album news they've got the album cover & title locked down.

New Album in November; Details:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/machine-head-to-release-bloodstone-diamonds-album-in-november/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+%28Blabbermouth.net%27s+Daily+Headlines%29

And also if you haven't heard elsewhere there was an Irish Show announced for Friday December 19th in the Academy. Tickets onsale this Friday Aug 15th.

Woo! Any idea on ticket price?

Woo! Any idea on ticket price?

€35 I'm led to believe,with Devil You Know (Ex Killswich Engage Howard Jones band) in support.

€35 I'm led to believe,with Devil You Know (Ex Killswich Engage Howard Jones band) in support.

Excellent, won't be missing that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Cannot wait for this gig!

Advertisement