Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Mars Bar wrote:
    In terms of excitement for me this sets up the perfect tie. We're 4 hours ahead so the throw in time means it's 8pm so I'll be home in time from work to watch it... ...Watch it with my housemate from Limerick and her friends!

Match is next Sunday 6p.m. Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Match is next Sunday 6p.m. Croke Park.

Thought it was 4pm throw in?

Mars Bar wrote:
    Thought it was 4pm throw in?

Sorry could be wrong but it flashed up on the Clare vs. Waterford that it was 6p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Sorry could be wrong but it flashed up on the Clare vs. Waterford that it was 6p.m.

Says 4pm on the GAA website. I think the Kilkenny game is at 6om on the Saturday so might have been what you saw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Gaillimh Abu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Great win and lots of room for improvement...great to see the goals going in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭cson

Made hard work of that with the extra man for 20 odd minutes - what a clown Cathal Barrett was to be making a tackle like that on a yellow (although it couldn't have happened to a nicer lad!). No doubt Tipp would have won if it were 15 v 15.

For us;
    The good
    - Cathal Mannion excellent
    - Conor Whelan excellent
    - David Burke really good in that sweeper role until he went off, assume it was an injury
    - JC is so influential outside of his frees, key role in the goal and the sense of space for Flynn's crucial point, he didn't have his best game by his standards, but his standards are so high it was still a performance that was crucial to us winning. Please God we get another Liam McCarthy while we still have him, he deserves it.

Now the not so good
    - Shane Cooney guilty of overplaying too often and for Gods sake lie on the ball for the Bonnar goal
    - Not sure how Conor Cooney is still starting, he hasn't done anything of note in a Championship game for going on 2 years now, butchered a goal chance too
    - Eanna Murphy worries me, nothing in particular today but just below intercountry standard imo
    - Once Tipp figured out the sweeper, Shane O'Neill was far too slow to respond to it and we went 5 down real quick. He needs to have a plan to pivot when your tactics stop working.

I think underdogs suit us against Limerick but it'll be a massive ask. Win it though and there's nothing be afraid of in the other side of the draw.

cson wrote:
    Now the not so good - Shane Cooney guilty of overplaying too often and for Gods sake lie on the ball for the Bonnar goal - Not sure how Conor Cooney is still starting, he hasn't done anything of note in a Championship game for going on 2 years now, butchered a goal chance too - Eanna Murphy worries me, nothing in particular today but just below intercountry standard imo - Once Tipp figured out the sweeper, Shane O'Neill was far too slow to respond to it and we went 5 down real quick. He needs to have a plan to pivot when your tactics stop working.

Shane Cooney agree. I think he's struggling to get up to the speed of inter county hurling. What was a saunter at club is coming a bit fast now but games will improve him. Bags of ability.

Conor Cooney is struggling. Work rate aside won't keep him his place.

Eanna for me is the real deal. Some of his puckouts are bullets. Eyes always open. Quick off his line. Unlucky with the second goal after his double save but good saves all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭threeball

Shane Cooney agree. I think he's struggling to get up to the speed of inter county hurling. What was a saunter at club is coming a bit fast now but games will improve him. Bags of ability.

Conor Cooney is struggling. Work rate aside won't keep him his place.

Eanna for me is the real deal. Some of his puckouts are bullets. Eyes always open. Quick off his line. Unlucky with the second goal after his double save but good saves all the same.

Cooney is struggling for scores. Hard to know who to bring in. Flynn isn't the answer.

Murphy is doing OK but his puckouts favour the defence. They are too high and leave loads of time to get under a catch or it just hits the ground and ends up in a ruck. Better lose 10m of length and just launch them lower so you catch it attacking the ball or if its missed it goes inside the defence which causes massive problems. It just takes one to break your way.

threeball wrote:
    Cooney is struggling for scores. Hard to know who to bring in. Flynn isn't the answer.

I think we are lucky enough defensively to bring in someone and push Joseph to the half forward line.

• Advertisement

I think we are lucky enough defensively to bring in someone and push Joseph to the half forward line.

That's what I'd do too, push Joseph Cooney up the field and bring in Adrian Tuohy. Cooney won an AI playing the half forwards.

I mean **** it, I'd even give Niall Burke a go given Conor Cooney's form at the moment, you need your forwards to be scoring.

Yes we could do with a ball winning half forward now that Whelan seems to be gone back inside permanently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭Robson99

Anyone know why Kevin Cooney isn't getting a look in ?
    Shane Cooney slow on the ball but I would give him a while to get used of IC pace. Bigger issue is Gearoid Mc who appears to be a mile off the pace.
    Johnny Coen struggling in mid field. Possibly an option at corner back.
    Badly need Joseph Cooney in at 10 or 12. But I can see him picking up Hegarty next Sunday.

Conor Cooneys confidence is completely gone. Pulled out of the goal chance iñ second half when he thought Hogan was coming out to meet him. Flynn doesn't appear to have the fight in him.

If we had thought of winning the All Ire then we would have assumed that we would meet Limerick at some stage. I'd prefer to be meeting them in the Semi.
    Get the match up right defensively and I would really fancy our chances.
    We have to hound their half back line. Stop the supply. And get our best markers on Hegarty, Lynch and Gillane.

Finally we need to cut out the **** supply to the FF line when have time on the ball in our HB line. If we lost today that would have been the main problem

Shane O'Neill should know this Limerick team like the back of his hand. If there was one manger with the inside track on how to lock them down it would have to be him. That has to be a major plus going in to next week. Add in the motivation from 18 and we tend to pull out all the stops in semi finals I'm confident we can pull it off.

Waterford laid down a good blueprint on how to bottle up Limerick and we're better than Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It'll be a tall order against Limerick, Galway will go in as massive underdogs which will suit them, personally I think Limerick are a good side, but, massively overrated, but, love that the media is hyping them up as that'll put pressure on them. Will need a better performance next week, but, great that they scored goals today as they'll need a few to beat Limerick.

If they can get over Limerick (a big if I know)next week I would fancy our chances against either Kilkenny or Waterford. Think Waterford have a great chance against Kilkenny and wouldn't be a bit surprised if they win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

threeball wrote: »
    Shane O'Neill should know this Limerick team like the back of his hand. If there was one manger with the inside track on how to lock them down it would have to be him. That has to be a major plus going in to next week. Add in the motivation from 18 and we tend to pull out all the stops in semi finals I'm confident we can pull it off.

Waterford laid down a good blueprint on how to bottle up Limerick and we're better than Waterford.

We might have the power maybe but not the pace though, unless a good rejig is carried out. A bold move would be Fintan at no. 6 and Whelan back out to the wing.

Girly Gal wrote:
    If they can get over Limerick (a big if I know)next week I would fancy our chances against either Kilkenny or Waterford. Think Waterford have a great chance against Kilkenny and wouldn't be a bit surprised if they win.

As long as we have the best fullback in the country on the edge of the square we'll have a fighting chance.

MfMan wrote: »
    We might have the power maybe but not the pace though, unless a good rejig is carried out. A bold move would be Fintan at no. 6 and Whelan back out to the wing.

You don't need massive pace to counteract limerick. Positional sense is far more important as they let the ball do the work. Spraying it around in diagonals. If you can bottle up the centre and force them long then you severely impact their game. I'd bank on Daithi winning the battle against Gillane especially if the ball is delivered from distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Galway have fantastic hurlers. Well done on todays result. Limerick will be very hard to beat. I read one poster saying their massively over rated and then in the next breath saying Galway will need a great performance to beat them. Limerick are very good. They arent over rated. They are beatable and Galway have the wherewithal to do it. I think they probably won't though. The simple chances given up to Tipperary today that they missed. Limerick will take more of them . Galway tendency to give away at least 1 calamity goal a game. Today it was 2. And 3 Limerick play a smarter game..stick to a game plan and trust it. Galway for all the talent usually crack under sustained pressure. They won today because Barrett was sent off. No other reason. If Barrett was on Galway would have lost by a couple. And the third week in a row..it has an effect

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Galway have fantastic hurlers. Well done on todays result. Limerick will be very hard to beat. I read one poster saying their massively over rated and then in the next breath saying Galway will need a great performance to beat them. Limerick are very good. They arent over rated. They are beatable and Galway have the wherewithal to do it. I think they probably won't though. The simple chances given up to Tipperary today that they missed. Limerick will take more of them . Galway tendency to give away at least 1 calamity goal a game. Today it was 2. And 3 Limerick play a smarter game..stick to a game plan and trust it. Galway for all the talent usually crack under sustained pressure. They won today because Barrett was sent off. No other reason. If Barrett was on Galway would have lost by a couple. And the third week in a row..it has an effect

Morris was lucky to stay on before half time. Many a ref would have sent him walking. Tipp have no excuse. They were accumulating yellow cards all game and got caught. Galway won fair and square.

• Advertisement

BloodyBill wrote:
    Goalies puck outs were good until he started lamping them down ontop of the Kilkenny backs. He was at fault for that first goal. What us it with Galway teams that they give up at least one calamity goal a game in important matches and never have a top class shot stopper. Galway had their foot on Kilkennys neck and didn't have the instinct to press down. Thats Galway hurling in a nutshell. Tipp in the same position would have beaten Kilkenny by 10. Whelan was greedy tonight. Missed a few bad wides aswell. Flynns goal chance was an awful miss and Canning missed a few easy ones. The fouling in the first half was atrocious. Im not sure the Galway players have the brains to recover and become ruthless. Its just not in their nature.

BloodyBill wrote:

I see a trend. I just can't put my finger on it.....

BloodyBill wrote: »

Don't agree on your claim that the Barrett sending off won it. Galway had brought it from 6 down to 2 down and Concannon was about to make it one before the blow to the head.
    In fact tipp upped their game after the sending off and also got the rub of the ref when he called Shane Cooney for 3 touches which he then overturned but the throw in resulted in a point to Tipp.
    We got caught for 2 goals due to slips so hardly calamitous. We also scored 3 crackers. If Limerick beat us they'll earn every ounce of it. They don't have the goal threat that Tipp have.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Great character shown by the lads today. A special team to follow.

In fairness to SON he is not afraid of making changes and acting swiftly.

Anyone know if Davy burke was injured or if it was a tactical move taking him off at ht? Bar one bad clearance I thought he was playing fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

donnem33 wrote: »

Anyone know if Davy burke was injured or if it was a tactical move taking him off at ht? Bar one bad clearance I thought he was playing fairly well.

Why was David a sweeper as opposed to a forward?

He’s more accurate than C.Cooney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Stop he gave a fair bit of ball away . Legs are going a bit as well . Probaly best to have him with 20 to go in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

BitterBill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Tactical

So one thing I think that's easily forgotten is that we played horrendously in the 2018 Final (flat from having an extra 160 minutes of hurling in the legs over the Championship), but we were still only a puck of the ball at the end from drawing/winning that game.

Limerick are absolutely not as good as they've been led to believe they are, and that manifested itself last year. I hope to God they still believe the hype though, because I think we're more than good enough to pick them off if they think they just have to turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

cson wrote: »
    So one thing I think that's easily forgotten is that we played horrendously in the 2018 Final (flat from having an extra 160 minutes of hurling in the legs over the Championship), but we were still only a puck of the ball at the end from drawing/winning that game.

Limerick are absolutely not as good as they've been led to believe they are, and that manifested itself last year. I hope to God they still believe the hype though, because I think we're more than good enough to pick them off.

That's true and only for the replays that year Galway could have won the all Ireland.

However its now two years later and I cannot see Galway beating Limerick.

Galway were fortunate to beat tipp who had a man sent off and made hard work of it. That tipp team was beaten by Limerick by a large margin earlier on in the year.

• Advertisement

kala85 wrote: »
    Galway were fortunate to beat tipp who had a man sent off and made hard work of it. That tipp team was beaten by Limerick by a large margin earlier on in the year.

By the same token I remember going to the Leinster Final last year and I'd have outright laughed at you if you said KK would make the AI Final after it.

Teams learn and the form lines aren't always right.

Advertisement