Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Superthread] Mayweather vs Pacman **NO STREAMING REQUESTS**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd will need to put a lot more effort into his offensive power/delivery than he did against Maidana. That offensive display was poor. Weak punches, short punches, glancing punches and stale punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

I imagine the Cotto rematch is more likely than Khan. Cotto's a diva and difficult to negotiate with, but he needs an opponent after Canelo giving up on him, and Floyd would jump at the chance to make some fake history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Henno30 wrote: »
    I imagine the Cotto rematch is more likely than Khan. Cotto's a diva and difficult to negotiate with, but he needs an opponent after Canelo giving up on him, and Floyd would jump at the chance to make some fake history.
    I think it's got to the stage now where if Floyd fights anyone bar Manny the fight will be ignored by the masses and be a flop. There will be a reaction from fight fans if the Manny fight doesn't come through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I think Floyd will fight Kahn and not Cotto. I fully expect Cotto to hold out to fight the winner of Lee/Quillin in the summer.

Pighead wrote: »
    I think it's got to the stage now where if Floyd fights anyone bar Manny the fight will be ignored by the masses and be a flop. There will be a reaction from fight fans if the Manny fight doesn't come through.

You'd like to think so but I'm not so sure. These high profile 'negotiations' have never hurt either of them before in terms of PPV sales and gates.

It does at this point look like the fight's not happening anyway, which is the outcome most of us would have expected.

Heard an interview with Dan Rafael today where he more or less acknowledged this. He said that both sides had been making progress, and that Pac had agreed to all terms and the deal looked to be on. And then Floyd got personally involved in the negotiations.

Since then things have gone backwards according to Rafael, with Floyd making more demands on top of what had been agreed and trying to control more and more aspects of the event.

It's the same old pattern really. Mayweather always comes up with a new sticking point every time a deal looks close.

Interview with Rafael - https://m.soundcloud.com/hardindr/steven-a-smith-show-dan-rafael-interview-2015-02-03

He says that Pac's side agreed to the offer that came back from the Mayweather team nearly a month ago.

But every time they agree to something Mayweather's camp keeps coming back with new demands. And if Pac's team agrees to those then Mayweather wants more changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

It does at this point look like the fight's not happening anyway, which is the outcome most of us would have expected.
    I'm of the opposite view. I think everything is pointing towards the fight happening. Floyd seems to be making the right noises and Manny seems willing to accept Floyd's terms just to get it on. The current posturing seems to be Floyd looking to get even more money for himself but given Manny's desire to get the fight on I think they'll get past that stumbling block.

Pighead wrote: »
    I'm of the opposite view. I think everything is pointing towards the fight happening. Floyd seems to be making the right noises and Manny seems willing to accept Floyd's terms just to get it on. The current posturing seems to be Floyd looking to get even more money for himself but given Manny's desire to get the fight on I think they'll get past that stumbling block.

If they're going to announce it they need to get their skates on.

Floyd's latest stunt seems to be all about diverting blame rather than moving towards a deal as well. Secretly recording what was supposed to be a private discussion, then releasing clips of it online is more likely to sabotage a fight than make it happen.

If all this posturing and delaying is about money and squeezing for the extra dollar then it's a disgusting black mark on them both.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    If all this posturing and delaying is about money and squeezing for the extra dollar then it's a disgusting black mark on them both.

Don't think it is. Pac's side agreed to a deal that that was offered by the Mayweather team last month. When Arum and Koncz started publicly stating that a deal was close, Floyd perked up and started demanding changes to the deal that had been agreed. If Dan Rafael is to be believed, the biggest obstacle at this point is Floyd's narcissism, not any major financial issue.

Normally all this stuff serves as great promotion for the fights they actually do make, that's almost the entire point. But it'll be interesting to see if there's a backlash against Floyd if it doesn't happen this time.

Don't think it is. Pac's side agreed to a deal that that was offered by the Mayweather team last month. When Arum and Koncz started publicly stating that a deal was close, Floyd perked up and started demanding changes to the deal that had been agreed. If Dan Rafael is to be believed, the biggest obstacle at this point is Floyd's narcissism, not any major financial issue.

Normally all this stuff serves as great promotion for the fights they actually do make, that's almost the entire point. But it'll be interesting to see if there's a backlash against Floyd if it doesn't happen this time.

Was sorta' thinking that. I mean, after tax I'd say Floyd will make close on 50 million if this fight sells, maybe more. Manny will make 35 plus I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Diddley Squat

Still think Mayweather faces Cotto -
    in fact I was sure of it when I heard that the Canelo - Cotto fight had collapsed

Still think Mayweather faces Cotto -
    in fact I was sure of it when I heard that the Canelo - Cotto fight had collapsed

Have to agree. Could be wrong but it looks like that's where it's headed at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

But is Cotto not managed by Bob Arum, the very one who Mayweather says he won't deal with in the Pacquiao fight negotiations?

Just looked it up, Arum is his promoter. Mayweather is nothing but a hypocrite if he signs to fight Cotto.

• Advertisement

Just looked it up, Arum is his promoter. Mayweather is nothing but a hypocrite if he signs to fight Cotto.

Mayweather exposed himself as a hypocrite a long time ago. Remember when catchweights were cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Arum co promotes Cotto's fights as far as I know, he has his own promotional company Miguel Cotto Promotions...

Latest i heard is from Pacquiao saying he expects the fight to be formally announced within the week.

Some talk that Bradley could face Cotto at 155.

Cotto is really going to drag that middleweight lineage through the shit.

^^^ Jaysus! Bradley isn't even a big welterweight! He's not even a top 5 welter at this stage either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Mayweather exposed himself as a hypocrite a long time ago. Remember when catchweights were cheating.

"What? Y'all don't know sh*t about boxin' "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭flanna01

Greetings Joseph.... Excuse me whilst I have a look around the forum...

With the exception of one or two.... This forum needs some action, some proper debate, no more of this tippy toeing around..

Half the contributors on this forum think they're butlers or something (Yes sir, No sir, Three bags full sir... Pleeease!).. Its time to grow a pair, its time to crack the whip, the boxing Guru is returning shortly....

Now Joey me ould mucker, go forth and spread the word.

I would say it is a done deal despite Floyd being interviewed the other day at a basketball game, I think it was, saying nothing is for definite. He wouldn't be confirming a done deal. That's for his business management.

72 days till May 2nd. This has to be the shortest time that PBF (since he became global, and since his showtime deal) has left his fans waiting to find out who he is fighting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

It's coming........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Eddie Hearn hinting it will be announced tonight

I'd say later today or tomorrow. I have an uneasy feeling with this fight. Something overly staged about the whole thing. Will Money and Manny fight or spar?

I'd say later today or tomorrow. I have an uneasy feeling with this fight.

fanboys_zps3c9fa9fa.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭ebbsy

2 questions.

1) What channel do ye think this fight will be on.
    2) Is Boxnation worth getting anyway.

ebbsy wrote: »
    2 questions.

1) What channel do ye think this fight will be on.
    2) Is Boxnation worth getting anyway.

I think Sky may push the boat out for this one and take it.

BoxNation is worth getting. Great channel. A lot of fight cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Boxnation is a must for fight fans good fights all year round.

Where's Jackie in all of this. She's usually good for letting slip a spoiler or two :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I think Sky may push the boat out for this one and take it.

BoxNation is worth getting. Great channel. A lot of fight cards.

BT Sport are players & could make a massive bid for this fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Its on! Only about 5 years late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Really looking forward to this now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

About bloody time. Few years too late but can't wait for it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Meh.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Pity it's not 2009/2010

Has it been officially announced yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Has it been officially announced yet?

Yeah! Mayweather put up a picture of the contract signed. Showtime announced it too, 100% done deal.

Pity it didn't happen a few years ago, but still - gonna be a massive fight. Looking forward to it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Where would one buy tickets for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Talk of the PPV buy being huge in terms of cost to the consumer, upwards of $90-$100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Exactly 5 years too late, May 2010 was the night. Still huge but Mayweather wins this 7,8 times outa 10

• Advertisement

Should be a great build-up, even if it's come way too late.

I think it's 50-50 now. Would lean towards Floyd if I had to pick, but I don't think he's the same fighter either.

Glad that it's happening. It's something the sport needs to get out of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

kryogen wrote: »
    Talk of the PPV buy being huge in terms of cost to the consumer, upwards of $90-$100
    Yeah going to be 90 bucks for standard vision and 100 for HD, crazy money so glad i'm not an American, I'm guessing it will be on Sky PPV which is like 25 euro. I'll happily pay 25 quid for this and i'd expect the undercard will be insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The Mig wrote: »
    Where would one buy tickets for this?

Nowhere, they will sell out in seconds and will be priced at crazy prices, every room at the MGM has already sold out after only 2 minutes of the fight being announced. The arena will be full of high rollers and celebrities and very very few fans, every A lister will want to go plus all high rollers. Not a hope of getting a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

http://m.bbc.com/sport/boxing/31133135

Article from the beeb.

Hopefully this fight goes some way to raise the profile of the sport and the move by Al Haymon (which Dirs doesn't mention or is oblivious too) to put some really competitive fights back on terrestrial tv builds on that to create a new wave of stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Ticket prices :eek:

10986226_360149660844538_1300548125_n.jpg

10959213_437230206428550_7023424_n.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement