Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,707 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    Even eagle eye gave rd 12 to Canelo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO
    dougm1970 wrote: »
    i often think there should be more draws in boxing in scenarios like this.
    this fight was very close i think everyone agrees.
    i think in close decisions where the judges dont agree...i.e. a split decision...that if theres not more than two points either side of a draw on any scorecard just call it a draw.
    i've explained that badly...but say if it was...
    115-113 to boxer A
    115-113 to boxer A
    115-113 to boxer B
    deem it a draw.

Not that I agree with you, but I once read in Boxing News that Argentina used to award draws in fights where the difference in the fighters scores was 3 points or less.

I can't find anything on Google about it, but it would make sense out of Carlos Monzon having 9 draws despite being an outstanding boxer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Boooourns

I gave it to GGG but I have no problem with it being scored for Canelo. The two of them came out swinging and Canelo landed plenty on him, more in the the round and twice as many power punches according to compubox.

Punch stats aren't the only factor or course but I don't get this idea that only GGG could have won the round.
    walshb wrote: »
    Even eagle eye gave rd 12 to Canelo!

:D I've watched it twice, right after the bell rings for the start of the round GGG lands the cleanest punches of the round along with a huge uppercut, from there on it's exchanging punches, both throwing but getting blocked or missing. Canelo lands a few combinations, GGG lands his big jab and finishes the round with another few shots. It's a clear GGG round for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Canelo KO
    Canelo won the last round for me, but i thought he clearly lost the fight. Is Triple G capable of improving for the next fight? To some observers he is already on the slide. It's clear he needs to knock Canelo out to get the win next time, even then it might be ruled as a slip by the Judges...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

CatFromHue wrote: »
    SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Only commentators I take seriously are Andy Lee and Roy Jones. Could listen to them all night. Knowledgeable, insightful and of course have vast inside experience.

Andre Ward seems pretty knowledgeable too.
    Of course. Bang on there and mea culpa leaving out one of my favourite fighters.

As an aside last week in Pensacola decided to go check out Roy Jones' gym. After confirming the address a few times we get there to discover a one story house with Do Not Trespass signs outside but what is unforgettable was that we were greeted by a goat!

Roy dont want no visitors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

CatFromHue wrote: »
    SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Only commentators I take seriously are Andy Lee and Roy Jones. Could listen to them all night. Knowledgeable, insightful and of course have vast inside experience.

Andre Ward seems pretty knowledgeable too.
    Of course. Bang on there and mea culpa leaving out one of my favourite fighters.

As an aside last week in Pensacola decided to go check out Roy Jones' gym. After confirming the address a few times we get there to discover a one story house with Do Not Trespass signs outside but what is unforgettable was that we were greeted by a goat!

Roy dont want no visitors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

GGG KO
    No specific thread for this but Canelo has signed a contract with DAZN. 5 years, 11 fights, $365m. Richest contract in sports history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

No specific thread for this but Canelo has signed a contract with DAZN. 5 years, 11 fights, $365m. Richest contract in sports history.

How does that work. Will he still get money for PPVs or is it all in he 365m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

How does that work. Will he still get money for PPVs or is it all in he 365m?

DAZN are an over-the-top digital service, $9.99 a month for a range of sport, with no PPV. They're aiming to be the Netflix of sport, and monetising these deals globally. Already signed a big multi-year deal with Matchroom, so going big after boxing, but also have Serie A rights in Italy.

Good for boxing overall, I think -- should make it more accessible to a broader and younger audience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

DAZN are an over-the-top digital service, $9.99 a month for a range of sport, with no PPV. They're aiming to be the Netflix of sport, and monetising these deals globally. Already signed a big multi-year deal with Matchroom, so going big after boxing, but also have Serie A rights in Italy.

Good for boxing overall, I think -- should make it more accessible to a broader and younger audience.

So he will pull in around 30m per fight. I presume golden boy will get a fair chunk of that. Doesn't seem like much for boxing's biggest PPV draw?

Canelo KO
    This monster deal kinda' came out of nowhere. I know Canelo is known, but he's far from a real sporting superstar...

You just know who'll be fuming at this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Boooourns

A deal like that is an advertisement for performance enhancing drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Boooourns wrote: »
    A deal like that is an advertisement for performance enhancing drugs.

Professional sport is an advertisement for performance enhancing drugs...

Canelo KO
    Professional sport is an advertisement for performance enhancing drugs...

Yeh, but you think anyone at the top in sport is using PEDs. Which, to me is just stupid..

Advertisement