Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Haye vs Bellew

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Morrison J wrote: »
    I think one could assume from his life both inside and outside the ring that he's not that calculated in his approach to things..

I didn't see him biting anyone's ear in the ring when he was winning.
    Not that much of a nutjob when there was more at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

blade1 wrote: »
    I didn't see him biting anyone's ear in the ring when he was winning.
    Not that much of a nutjob when there was more at stake.

He'd only lost two rounds and was winning the round that the bite took place in tbf.

I don't think biting someone's ear shows high levels of sanity no matter what the current situation is either tbf. He has also admitted to being high on cocaine during many of his important bouts.

Fragile character at the best of times and certainly not an act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,707 ✭✭✭✭walshb

:confused: where did I say that?
    Plenty of times Tyson came up with stuff before a fight to get at his opponents.
    Like when he said he wanted to eat Lennox Lewis' children.

That was the veteran Tyson. Post prison. Prime Tyson riled nobody up. He simply walked into the ring and terrorised them. That's why he had such awe and menace. There was nothing but bad intentions, with no frills, heirs and graces or contrived nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Good to see Haye is okay and pretty positive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRTc-aTBO7i/?taken-by=mrdavidhaye
    mrdavidhaye Back home now chillin' with feet up, after a very successful Achilles reattachment surgery. Strangely after such an action packed fight, I have no aches and pains other then my freshly Reattached Achilles.
    Professor James Frame and Kevin Lidlow are very happy with the outcome of my surgery, and are very confident of a 100% recovery back to full fitness.
    I'm truly overwhelmed with all the positive messages of love and support. From the bottom of my heart, thank you all.
    Time to catch up with family and friends before the rehab programme starts tomorrow night.
    One Love
    The Hayemaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't really know why people have an issue with boxers hamming it up. If you don't like the show, don't buy a ticket.

Panto sells. Especially when it comes to fighting. It's why Conor McGregor is very rich.

We all knew he'd inform us of his injury at some stage. His not mentioning it post fight interview was not an act of class and sportsmanship, but actually dishonesty.

walshb wrote: »
    We all knew he'd inform us of his injury at some stage. His not mentioning it post fight interview was not the act of class, but actually dishonesty.

That's a tricky one though. It seems like there is a sort of omerta, that everybody who is part of the Sky product is never to say a negative word against the product. They are all on the payroll so they are all vested interests in portraying the thing as being amazing.

I mean, Bellew surely should have been saying something like "I'm happy with the win, but I didn't want it like this".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

We all knew he'd inform us of his injury at some stage. His not mentioning it post fight interview was not an act of class and sportsmanship, but actually dishonesty.

What.

The.

F*CK???

In his fight with Wlad he had the boot off in the ring, no? To show us the toe? Maybe at the post fight presser.

Maybe not. I can't recall.

Unless his Achilles injury did not affect him in the slightest. But it looked like it really did affect him.

Not just Haye's dishonesty, but Sky themselves. For nobody post fight interview to bring up the elephant in the room is nothing but dishonesty.

• Advertisement

The only way Haye can save face is his coming out publicly to say that the injury had no effect whatsoever on his performance. I am betting that not only does he not, but you will hear how it did affect him, and for him and Sky to keep quiet in the ring when we all knew something was up, that is shenanigans...

Wake up, fellas. And when you do, google "lie by omission."

Not just Haye's dishonesty, but Sky themselves. For nobody post fight interview to bring up the elephant in the room is nothing but dishonesty.

Yeah I think this is fair. Nobody is saying that David Haye was not extremely brave to carry on when he got the injury. I think the issue is that Sky (and all of their employees including Bellew and Haye), may have been less than forthcoming about the state of Haye's achilles before the fight, and were certainly trying to bury the fact that the injury was the turning point of the fight when discussing the fight afterwards. Nobody in Sky wants to say that the emporer has no clothes.

pac_man wrote: »
    Boxers are not in the right frame of mind straight after a fight with a camera and mic shoved in their face. It's up to the interviewer to ask the questions.

I thought he showed great sportsmanship and was very complimentary to Bellew. Had he said, "I would have won that fight but I got injured half way through it", you'd probably accuse him of being unsportsmanlike. The chap can't win either way.

I am looking at this objectively. Both he and Sky were dishonest in not addressing it. It was so bloody obvious.

No way would I have dissed him for bringing up something so bloody obvious.

The issue here is that if he did not address it in the ring then he cannot address it outside the ring. But he has, and you can bet he will make it out that it cost him a chance to win. There lies the dishonesty

I am sick reading about how classy he was not to bring up this injury. It's nothing to do with class. It has to do with addressing what blatantly happened in front of the eyes of the fans and viewers.

BTW, Haye seemed very lucid and relaxed and open in the ring afterwards. Nothing to do with right frame of mind. The interviewer is as bad for not asking the obvious question. Simple: It's deception. It would have been great sportsmanship had he not deliberately failed to mention what happened him in the ring.

Wait for it. When Haye starts talking about how the injury affected his performance, will you then see what I mean?

But, maybe, just maybe the injury did not at all affect Haye. It seems unlikely, but if he comes out and says this, then so be it.

This guy earned millions from this fight. He owes it to the people who paid to explain his performance. Saying nothing yet "saying everything" via his tweets and post on social media doesn't explain it.

If Haye bring up the injury in the post-fight interview, everyone rolls their eyes and thinks 'typical', regardless of how obvious it was.

The interviewer could and should have asked but if Haye brings it up, people will give out about him bringing it up.

If Haye bring up the injury in the post-fight interview, everyone rolls their eyes and thinks 'typical', regardless of how obvious it was.

The interviewer could and should have asked but if Haye brings it up, people will give out about him bringing it up.

Some will. Some won't. I certainly would not. The fact that it was such an obvious injury, I would think it more odd that he did not bring it up. He can be complimentary and sportsmanlike whilst also being fully honest and truthful and inclusive of the facts.

But like I said, if he comes out and says that the injury did not at all affect his performance then he gets somewhat of a pass from me. However, one would have to think that he is telling fibs, either that or he just turned to mush from rd 6 onwards

I agree about the interviewer. Shambles.

That was the veteran Tyson. Post prison. Prime Tyson riled nobody up. He simply walked into the ring and terrorised them. That's why he had such awe and menace. There was nothing but bad intentions, with no frills, heirs and graces or contrived nonsense.
    I said Bellew riles his opponents.
    I mentioned the others as an example of fighers who's build ups were, let's say no harm to ticket sales.
    I'm not disputing Tyson was an animal but if anyone thinks that wasn'tused to sell tickets,well that's a bit naive imo.

Anthony Joshua comes along and seems like a nice lad and is always respectful to other fighters and people start saying stuff like 'oh,I'm not buying his fake nice man act' or that he is dull and has no personality.
    Then when other fighters start throwing tables or whatever, the same people are moaning.

And the thing is,some of the people moaning are the ones that like to point out that they are the hard core fans and the casuals are fools.
    Yet they'll stream the fight for free and moan about that too.
    How about just not watch the fight if it's all such a big circus??

I'm not disputing Tyson was an animal but if anyone thinks that wasn'tused to sell tickets,well that's a bit naive imo.

Of course he was used. But he himself, his natural persona and presence sold the tickets. Very little had to be done. His look alone was the seller, and of course, his ring performances and fighting style, all natural and not at all embellished. That's a bit different than what I believe you are trying to show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

There is no way he takes any major flak from simply acknowledging his lack of mobility in there hampered him, he didn't have to say "Oh I'd have won if it were not for the injury"

The injury was plainly obvious to anybody watching, by completely ignoring it he is being dishonest, to say that was him at 100% was blatantly a lie and then to start using the injury, his team were mentioning it within 24 hours of the fight as an excuse, and now him with his social media, which is only the beginning of this excuse believe me, I can't see how anybody can fail to spot the con job.

Even when he does start speaking bluntly about how the injury cost him the fight, it will be spun to try make him look heroic, that he didn't want to let the fans down who paid that hard earned money, that he felt like he could still get the job done but sadly it just wasn't to be.....next time though!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

There is no way he takes any major flak from simply acknowledging his lack of mobility in there hampered him, he didn't have to say "Oh I'd have won if it were not for the injury"

The injury was plainly obvious to anybody watching, by completely ignoring it he is being dishonest, to say that was him at 100% was blatantly a lie and then to start using the injury, his team were mentioning it within 24 hours of the fight as an excuse, and now him with his social media, which is only the beginning of this excuse believe me, I can't see how anybody can fail to spot the con job.

Even when he does start speaking bluntly about how the injury cost him the fight, it will be spun to try make him look heroic, that he didn't want to let the fans down who paid that hard earned money, that he felt like he could still get the job done but sadly it just wasn't to be.....next time though!

Well I am glad that I am not the only one to see this as the con it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Haye went straight to hospital. Froch was non stop mentioning it during the fight & it was mentioned after the fight numerous times.

Also Haye providing an update after getting surgery is not a big deal as you are trying to make it out to be.

MD1990 wrote: »

Also Haye providing an update after getting surgery is not a big deal as you are trying to make it out to be.

I never mentioned Froch or anyone during the fight. I mentioned Sky as regards the post fight ring interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

I never mentioned Froch or anyone during the fight. I mentioned Sky as regards the post fight ring interview.

The reason Sky didn't mention it is because of Matchroom . They want to build another Matchroom fighter up.

Look at Bellews twitter page today. Hinting at fighting Tyson Fury. The money machine keeps rolling.

As long as Sky and Matchroom and intertwined like they are at moment don't be surprised by anything.

It's the same as UFC and Fox Sports in the states .

Of course he was used. But he himself, his natural persona and presence sold the tickets. Very little had to be done. His look alone was the seller, and of course, his ring performances and fighting style, all natural and not at all embellished. That's a bit different than what I believe you are trying to show.
    No the point was people on about the fake animosity between Haye and Bellew.
    I said it was going on for donkeys years.
    I used a few names off the top of my head and the weakest one was pinpointed by you and someone else to go against what I said.

No the point was people on about the fake animosity between Haye and Bellew.
    I said it was going on for donkeys years.
    I used a few names off the top of my head and the weakest one was pinpointed by you and someone else to go against what I said.

I wasn't getting at you to go against you. I just felt that the Tyson example was well off. He would be the most anti contrived riling fighter I could think of when he was competing at or close to his prime. The guy was juts a menace. Plain and simple.

I wasn't getting at you to go against you. I just felt that the Tyson example was well off. He would be the most anti contrived riling fighter I could think of when he was competing at or close to his prime. The guy was juts a menace. Plain and simple.

Yes, I didn't mean otherwise to come across.
    If I sat down and thought about it I could have chosen probably loads of better examples.
    I do feel he did lap up his baddest man on the planet persona though even if he was used by the people around him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,994 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

![/QUOTE]

If he had mentioned the injury the vast majority of people would see it as being ungracious in defeat, especially given few thought Bellew would win. There are countless examples of boxers not admitting to serious injury in defeat as a mark of respect to the winner.

He properly privately does believe the injury cost him, and he would be right to believe that as he was winning prior to the achilles rupturing.

I'm surprised you think Shane Mc Guigan was right to keep him in there as long as he did. How on one leg is he going to generate the power to land a knock out blow? Also it was risking making a bad injury even more severe by letting him continue on.

Have you me mixed up with someone else? I haven't mentioned Shane.

Have you me mixed up with someone else? I haven't mentioned Shane.

Sorry. You're right, it was Pacman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Jesus that Adam Smith from Sky was insufferable the other night. "This is fascinating stuff" he must have said that about 20 times.

He talks some absolute sh*te. He sounded like he shot his load multiple times during the fight and quite frankly having seen him gazing lovingly at the fighters during the press conferences then it wouldnt surprise me if he had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I haven't really followed the post match stupidity after the farce that it was but Haye is on the sky sports app bugging up a second fight with a potential third and people will remember the fights for decades to come. The man is actually deluded. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I haven't really followed the post match stupidity after the farce that it was but Haye is on the sky sports app bugging up a second fight with a potential third and people will remember the fights for decades to come. The man is actually deluded. Lol

Sadly your average boxing fan in the UK is just as deluded and the rematch will do stupidly big numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Morrison J wrote: »
    Sadly your average boxing fan in the UK is just as deluded and the rematch will do stupidly big numbers.

True. Don't get me wrong I'm probably as casual as they come but the Brezeale fight the previous week was epic in comparison

Fighter with few options for a decent payday plugs a rematch.

I, for one, am massively surprised.

T

And that leads me onto this point, From watching the fight back again, Bellew didn't land anything significant and Haye didn't take too many shots. We're talking about cruiserweight who has slightly above average punching power.

Sometimes a fighter can be too brave for his own good. With some injuries the coach has to go against the wishes of the fighter. As we saw recently with Brook.

Haye was on one leg, and letting him continue risked his career. McGuigan should have over ruled his fighter and pulled him out.

Also there was little chance of Haye getting Bellew out of there, given the fact he could easily see what coming from Haye after the injury occurred.
    It wasn't a fair contest after the sixth round.

Sometimes a fighter can be too brave for his own good. With some injuries the coach has to go against the wishes of the fighter. As we saw recently with Brook.

Haye was on one leg, and letting him continue risked his career. McGuigan should have over ruled his fighter and pulled him out.

Also there was little chance of Haye getting Bellew out of there, given the fact he could easily see what coming from Haye after the injury occurred.
    It wasn't a fair contest after the sixth round.

If he thought there was a chance he could land a big one then you take a chance. If Haye was young and a risk would jeopardise fights & paychecks...but Haye is 36 and while they thought he had a puncher's chance, it was a fair enough call.

If it had been Frampton, different ball game.

Dishonesty seems like a strange word to use in this context. I'm still kinda muddled by the point you're trying to make. Do you accept that the injury hindered his performance, yes or no? If you do accept that it has, what difference does it make as to weather he mentions it immediately after a fight.

I don't think it is a strange word to use. With the injury being so obvious, as well as it really appearing to affect him, his not mentioning it comes across dishonest/deceptive.

He wasn't getting a beating, that's the point I'm trying to make. If he was, take him out. We're talking about Bellew here who has been down numerous times in his career at LHW, i'd take the chance. To use a cliche particularly with heavyweights, one punch can change a fight, just like Danny Williams below.

He wasn't taking a beating, but he was risking his career by the fight being prolonged, if he is in his early twenties, you might argue it would be worth the risk. At 36, the chances him of coming back from it are even harder.
    It stopped being a contest for me when he was on one leg. Bellew could see everything coming, so the chances of Haye landing a knockout punch was very slim. Also Bellew has shown much better punch resistance at the higher weights than at light heavyweight.

Shane being criticised for not pulling Haye doesn't make sense to me. He wasn't taking a beating and was still firing shots. Plenty of examples of reckless cornermen allowing their fighters out rd after rd to take a beating, with and without injuries. Haye and Shane are not comparable.

Shane being criticised for not pulling Haye doesn't make sense to me. He wasn't taking a beating and was still firing shots. Plenty of examples of reckless cornermen allowing their fighters out rd after rd to take a beating, with and without injuries. Haye and Shane are not comparable.

It makes a lot of sense to me to pull a fighter out when he risks long term injury, or a possible career ending one, in a fight he has a slim hope of winning due to said injury, regardless of whether he is taking a beating or not.
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.

It makes a lot of sense to me to pull a fighter out when he risks long term injury, or a possible career ending one, in a fight he has a slim hope of winning due to said injury, regardless of whether he is taking a beating or not.
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.

I get the point about living to fight another day. I just think that in the moment Shane and Haye probably really felt they could turn it around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Paulie officially retires. No real surprise but nice write up below. Having seen him fight and meeting him in Vegas seems like a nice chap and has obviously grown up from the loose mouth and wild hair!

http://www.boxingscene.com/paulie-malignaggi-magic-man-decides-call-it-day--114327?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Paulie officially retires. No real surprise but nice write up below. Having seen him fight and meeting him in Vegas seems like a nice chap and has obviously grown up from the loose mouth and wild hair!

http://www.boxingscene.com/paulie-malignaggi-magic-man-decides-call-it-day--114327?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Despite all the tawdriness boxing still inspires great writing and generates great stories like no other sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

So I decided to spend my morning catching up on this shíte. Why did I do this to myself?

Sky should be ashamed of themselves for hyping that farce as any sort of victory for boxing.

Haye actually showed a bit of bravery in continuing on and even winning a few rounds on one leg. Bellew unable to finish a fighter with zero offence on one leg over 6 rounds...

I want to love boxing as I once did but fights like this would turn you off the sport.

Eddie Hearn and Sky are some shower altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

That_Guy wrote: »
    So I decided to spend my morning catching up on this shíte. Why did I do this to myself?

Sky should be ashamed of themselves for hyping that farce as any sort of victory for boxing.

Haye actually showed a bit of bravery in continuing on and even winning a few rounds on one leg. Bellew unable to finish a fighter with zero offence on one leg over 6 rounds...

I want to love boxing as I once did but fights like this would turn you off the sport.

What did you think of the Thurman/Garcia fight?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Its the entertainment business, of course fighters are going to up it to sell the fights. As Tyson Fury once said, if people aren't interested, then it doesn't mean anything. You need to sell the fight, get people talking about it, investing in it with money and general interest.

That_Guy wrote: »

Sure these contrived grudge matches are nothing new and they are not unique to matchroom, but they are one of the best at marketing them. I could understand this annoyance if you were new to boxing. However any long time fans complaining about this it's hard to fathom. Also in the last month there has been some great fights. The pick being the heavyweight clash in Alabama a couple of weeks ago

Ger Gilroy saying that Tony Bellew is on OTB tonight. I wonder will they tell Tony about what they were saying about him not being able to beat a one legged man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Haye's operation with Achilles. If you're any way squeamish probably best not to click on the link.

https://twitter.com/Natpirks/status/839465400958070785

Advertisement