Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge waste of money by University

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Do you actually think this is a bad waste of money? Go down to UL and have a walk around, the amount of capital put in there over the last few years could have bailed out the banks. They're getting money privately as well but Don Barry and his cronies have squandered a serious amount of cash down there. Some of the investment is justified but then I just take a look at the presidents house or the living bridge and it makes my blood boil. All of this and they can't seem to reform some of the courses, especially the science ones for the benefit of the students and industry.
    Yes i do think its a waste of money.And i agree 100% with the other things you said im just pointing out this particluar waste

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

bigpink wrote: »
    Banks have been covered in plenty of threads,i posted made to make people aware of wasted money.The country may not change today but we have to hope change comes in the future

Okay, this is a circular argument. Do we cut all art and music funding then because they're all a waste of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Millicent wrote: »
    The university system. Do we stop paying all lecturers that don't teach a "practical subject" then? Whether it comes from tax/fee revenue, that money still gets funneled into the economy through taxes, purchases and other expenditure.

In your own words, you seem to be failing to notice:
    Also, as you seem to be failing to notice, this Gregorian chant course is adding at least a €40,000 job to the economy which will fuel tax revenue and spending, at least in that one person.

Fuel tax revenue and spending - You're making it out that we are getting money from this person, whereas if we didn't pay the 40k in the first place, we would be better off.

At the moment, 40k on a gregorian chant lecturer is a ridiculous waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I get out of bed to urinate. I do wish there was a bag with 50k in it by the top of the stairs, however.

I also wasted money on a pack of Jonnie Onion Rings yesterday - I didn't finish them. I should have given the 70cent to Brian Lenihan :(

So should that course be scrapped because you don't see the benefit of it? Others might be getting some from it, but you're not so should it be done away with? You can't measure the value of all things by your standards. Other people will get different benefit from different things.

And just as an aside, the Limerick course is incredible well regarded by musicians.

Id rate business alot more than a chanting course
    Music to any normal person is hobby/past time shur if my dad is out of work next year he should go to a chanting course come get real

• Advertisement

Naos wrote: »
    At the moment, 40k on a gregorian chant lecturer is a ridiculous waste of money.

Says you. As I said, it's a fairly elemental part of music theory and history that must be learned for a complete understanding of later musical theory. By your logic, the whole course is a waste of money. If the fundamentals are a waste, there's no point in learning any of it.

Okay, this is a circular argument. Do we cut all art and music funding then because they're all a waste of money?

I think a temporary cut would be no harm.They can make money for chanting courses but music courses for special needs get cut

Music to any normal person is hobby/past time shur if my dad is out of work next year he should go to a chanting course come get real

It's a hobby/past time to you -- not to the working musicians that courses like that produce. You're honestly saying that no one ever has an income from music?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Yes i do think its a waste of money.And i agree 100% with the other things you said im just pointing out this particluar waste

Ya well you'd be right, Gregorian chanting would be up there as one of the more ridiculous courses/modules I've heard of below. What kind of view are ULSU taking or has this been made into an issue below there yet?

I think a temporary cut would be no harm.They can make money for chanting courses but music courses for special needs get cut

Oh, Christ. Just :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Let all us Arts Degree holders rise up against the injustice of this thread!

Shakespeare is spinning in his grave.
    Rodney Dangerfield too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

While looking through jobs.ie i found this gem
    How the hell does this benefit us?
    http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1065695

I think you'll find if you had any clue about the place at all that the WAMD in UL attracts students from all over the world who pay a small fortune for the privilege of studying things such as ritual chanting there. It's probably one of the few areas of the University turning a handsome profit. Good to see a load of people with no idea about the centre or the people involved demand change without putting an ounce of bloody thought into it.

prinz wrote: »
    I think you'll find if you had any clue about the place at all that the WAMD in UL attracts students from all over the world who pay a small fortune for the privilege. It's probably one of the few areas of the University turning a handsome profit.

Prinz, I was gonna make a point about attracting foreign students but I wasn't sure if it was the case. Thanks for that. :)

prinz wrote: »
    I think you'll find if you had any clue about the place at all that the WAMD in UL attracts students from all over the world who pay a small fortune for the privilege. It's probably one of the few areas of the University turning a handsome profit.

Well i hope so,cause i dont want to be paying for it
    No problem with it is thats the way its run

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KingMambo26

I'm sure Bono & Co. will agree with you

And while we're at it why not cut off all spending on Spelling and punctuation education since they don't add any value to the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I am in the middle of composing a slap bass odyssey, just you wait till it's finished. It will unite all of Ireland in the spirit of FUNK.

Well i hope so,cause i dont want to be paying for it
    No problem with it is thats the way its run

But it's pointless, isn't it? Just because it's profitable, it's valid now in your eyes? That's kind of depressing.

If taxpayers arent paying for it let them chant away,people can do what they like when they pay for it,id tell them myself go for it:)
    Yeah im sure Bono pays huge taxes here

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

So please tell what this chanting course does for this country?

WTF?! What does any course do for a country? Finance or accounting or whatever doesn't matter a shít, depends on who you work for. If you worked for Anglo then you ruined the fúcking country. If you practiced chant then you brought happiness to people who like to hear chanting...

This is the saddest thread I've seen a long while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

But it's pointless, isn't it? Just because it's profitable, it's valid now in your eyes? That's kind of depressing.

I wouldn't see it necessarily as pointless just because some people are opposed but the wage here does not match the job. Even if this is a profitable department they could be more efficient and profitable if they did not throw money away like this.

• Advertisement

If taxpayers arent paying for it let them chant away,people can do what they like when they pay for it,id tell them myself go for it:)

That is a sad, sad point of view. Seriously, I'm actually a little depressed for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KingMambo26

Let's abolish Culture in this country until we can all afford new Mercs again! Down with this sort of pointless thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

You're taking the piss are you? You did business and are now UNEMPLOYED! Hahahahahahaha

ClutchIt wrote: »
    You're taking the piss are you? You did business and are now UNEMPLOYED! Hahahahahahaha

Im not unemployed i was searching for extra part time work

Yes i did 2 years of business and i didnt feel it was going anywhere.If i do go back id do something with accounting and at least ud have a better chance of a job in that area than chanting

I wouldn't see it necessarily as pointless just because some people are opposed but the wage here does not match the job. Even if this is a profitable department they could be more efficient and profitable if they did not throw money away like this.

You're saying €40,000 for a lecturer is not proportionate? For a lecturer in a university, it's actually pretty low. Average salary was in the mid 60s a couple of years ago. That's not taking into account the more competitive pay in some more "esteemed" colleges, where lecturers could fairly reasonably expect a salary in the 80,000 range.

ClutchIt wrote: »
    You're taking the piss are you? You did business and are now UNEMPLOYED! Hahahahahahaha[/QUOT

Yeah i am taking the piss,a chanting course of use to my dad if his job goes.....

Yeah i am taking the piss,a chanting course of use to my dad if his job goes.....

I'm sorry, but has your Dad any interest in music? Why is the country's education system predicated on what your Dad would or would not do in the event of him losing his job? Is your Dad a government minister?

That is a sad, sad point of view. Seriously, I'm actually a little depressed for this thread.

How is that sad?
    How depressed do you think 1000's of people with kids and houses feel with no jobs etc?Aw the poor chanters will help them through im sure

I'm sorry, but has your Dad any interest in music? Why is the country's education system predicated on what your Dad would or would not do in the event of him losing his job? Is your Dad a government minister?

Yeah my Dad listens to alot of music but that aint going to pay the bills.

No it is not it was an opinion this thread
    No he is not a minister

• Advertisement

Have you done the chanting course?

Advertisement