Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭golfball37

threeball wrote: »
    Not disputing that he's excellent but the stops he pulled off that day were ones even he wouldn't normally stop. Even if Limerick tapped them over they would have won convincingly. That game was not as close as the score suggests.

The save he made from John McGrath at the start of the second half in 2016 AIF says to me it wasn’t luck against Limerick. Murphy is that good. Schemical used do the same for man Utd and that wasn’t luck either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

golfball37 wrote: »
    The save he made from John McGrath at the start of the second half in 2016 AIF says to me it wasn’t luck against Limerick. Murphy is that good. Schemical used do the same for man Utd and that wasn’t luck either.

Kilkenny were a point up and a very dodgy refereeing call went against them. Think it was on 68 mins. Scandalous I would say, kk atm are reffed much harder then in previous times. Probably a sentence for the noughties when kk were tough in the tackle.

But you are right the limerick forwards ran riot that day but kk played some very ordinary players who aren't even on the panel right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Is it because he gets fouled a lot maybe?

Was at the game yesterday and anyone that was there heard the smack out of it, it was a proper belt that Maher got and he had a mark across his leg a half an hour later. That said mentioning Michael Rice has kind of blown your cover on this one, laughable indeed!

You must be getting confused? The swing back was with minimal force and connected with his thigh. There is no way you could hear a “smack” out of it and yes I was there.
    It must not have been that bad as Paudie was still able to get himself in a row and in my view strike a Laois player between the time he was struck and the Laois player was sent off.

While it is a long time ago now, the Michael Rice incident deserves to be brought up as that was a cowardly one handed pull with much more force than the one he got yesterday which did serious damage. The fact that not even a free was given never mind a red card was incredible but KK never made a fuss about it demonstrating the theatrics of Paudie yesterday. It shouldn’t be forgotten that Paudie also struck Shefflin that day right in front of the referee and only got a yellow. You’ll also note that that the Rice incident was one (the other being Iarla Tannion breaking TJs knee cap in the final) that was brought up by the refereeing officer at the end of the year as a serious incident which needs to be punished.

In my opinion Breen’s pull which got him his first yellow was far more dangerous and could have done damage. I certainly heard a smack from that one.

But of course Paudie can do no wrong. It is beyond a joke the amount of times he wins soft frees by throwing his head back or grabbing hold of the opponent “charging out with the ball”. He his a great hurler but Jesus he gets away with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭terryrogers

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Was at the game yesterday and anyone that was there heard the smack out of it, it was a proper belt that Maher got and he had a mark across his leg a half an hour later. That said mentioning Michael Rice has kind of blown your cover on this one, laughable indeed!

The only laughable thing here is trying to defend Maher for his antics. He was giving plenty to Dunphy yesterday then gets a harmless tap (definitely no smack to be heard) and quite obviously goes down feigning injury in order to get the man sent off. He didn't even need to gain the advantage as Tipp were never going to be troubled. The only thing he gained was robbing a 2nd tier player of finishing out his first and probably only AI QF game he will ever play in. Says a lot about his character.

The Michael Rice point is pertinent too and also shows his character. This was an actual dangerous swipe than effectively ended the hurling career of a player, and Maher never even acknowledged it. Not even a call or text to Rice afterwards to apologise or wish him any recovery. Great player,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Had to laugh listening to OTB just there. Actually it was laugh out loud. Denis (whose opinion i had little value on before but zero now) Walsh calling on the Cork county board to appoint Cusack as senior hurling manager. Far as i know Meyler (who comes across as a thorough gentleman) is still manager so there is no vacancy. As a Kilkenny man, I'd love to see Cusack as Cork manager. But seriously, Cusack?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

Powerhouse wrote: »
    For someone who believe that "the favourites tag counts for absolutely nothing come match day" you sure do seem quite exercised by the possibility that Wexford might be landed with it.

I'll use brief bullet points to aid your understanding.

Sheedy twice referred to Wexford as "raging hot" favourites.

Nobody, Sheedy included, actually believes this.

Therefore I am questioning why he is going out of his way to say something he doesn't believe.

It's safe to assume he is attempting mind games on Wexford.

I'm saying it's a waste of time for him to do so, and he is kidding himself if he feels this will unsettle Wexford.

Do you follow now?

I couldn't care less who the favourites are, I have no ties to either Wexford or Tipperary. The latter will be slight favourites, there will certainly be no "raging hot" favourites which almost implies the result is already beyond doubt. This game could go either way, and one side claiming the other in this game are "raging hot" favourites is worthy of ridicule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

The only laughable thing here is trying to defend Maher for his antics. He was giving plenty to Dunphy yesterday then gets a harmless tap (definitely no smack to be heard) and quite obviously goes down feigning injury in order to get the man sent off. He didn't even need to gain the advantage as Tipp were never going to be troubled. The only thing he gained was robbing a 2nd tier player of finishing out his first and probably only AI QF game he will ever play in. Says a lot about his character.

The Michael Rice point is pertinent too and also shows his character. This was an actual dangerous swipe than effectively ended the hurling career of a player, and Maher never even acknowledged it. Not even a call or text to Rice afterwards to apologise or wish him any recovery. Great player, vile character.

Vile character?? Really? You know this do you?

Padraic Maher, I think you have just been thoroughly keyboard warriored.

Nic_Col wrote: »
    I'll use brief bullet points to aid your understanding.

Sheedy twice referred to Wexford as "raging hot" favourites.

Nobody, Sheedy included, actually believes this.

Therefore I am questioning why he is going out of his way to say something he doesn't believe.

It's safe to assume he is attempting mind games on Wexford.

I'm saying it's a waste of time for him to do so, and he is kidding himself if he feels this will unsettle Wexford.

Do you follow now?

I couldn't care less who the favourites are, I have no ties to either Wexford or Tipperary. The latter will be slight favourites, there will certainly be no "raging hot" favourites which almost implies the result is already beyond doubt. This game could go either way, and one side claiming the other in this game are "raging hot" favourites is worthy of ridicule.

What a waste of a whole lot of words. I couldn't care less what he said/or what you know he thought etc.

I simply commented that it was interesting that while you thought it made no difference it seemed to be your min takeaway from the entire day. It was an observation and didn't really require a reply. And certainly not one that just repeated the same thing again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

What a waste of a whole lot of words. I couldn't care less what he said/or what you know he thought etc.

I simply commented that it was interesting that while you thought it made no difference it seemed to be your min takeaway from the entire day. It was an observation and didn't really require a reply. And certainly not one that just repeated the same thing again.

Couldn't care less yet you still replied, lol

If you play the man and not the ball, you have no right to cry if the man bites back.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Faiche Ro

The Michael Rice point is pertinent too and also shows his character. This was an actual dangerous swipe than effectively ended the hurling career of a player, and Maher never even acknowledged it. Not even a call or text to Rice afterwards to apologise or wish him any recovery. Great player, vile character.

There’s so much bullsh*t written above I don’t know where to start. People clearly don’t like Maher so they’ll make up clear lies just to confirm their own ‘vile’ opinions.

Firstly dunphy was the instigator holding maher’s hurley, so that’s the first lie
    Secondly I definitely could hear the slap off mahers leg from the upper hogan- so there’s another lie.

The Rice incident (cannot believe ye can’t let that go) was a wild pull on a bouncing ball that missed, the hurley ran up rice’s and unfortunately connected with his hand - it was an accident, he didn’t mean to break rice’s hand. It’s hurling . It happens, get over it. I specifically remember tommy walsh pulling on a Damien hayes’s hand in tullamore one year. Could have done serious damage. Was a way filthier belt. Again it happens.

Christ it’s amazing how bitterness clouds peoples minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Faiche Ro wrote: »
    There’s so much bullsh*t written above I don’t know where to start. People clearly don’t like Maher so they’ll make up clear lies just to confirm their own ‘vile’ opinions.

Firstly dunphy was the instigator holding maher’s hurley, so that’s the first lie
    Secondly I definitely could hear the slap off mahers leg from the upper hogan- so there’s another lie.

The Rice incident (cannot believe ye can’t let that go) was a wild pull on a bouncing ball that missed, the hurley ran up rice’s and unfortunately connected with his hand - it was an accident, he didn’t mean to break rice’s hand. It’s hurling . It happens, get over it. I specifically remember tommy walsh pulling on a Damien hayes’s hand in tullamore one year. Could have done serious damage. Was a way filthier belt. Again it happens.

It's also amazing how lack of comprehension has the same effect.

It was I who brought up the Rice incident.

I made no reference to it being a deliberate stroke, nor would I ever. Whether a stroke is deliberate or not has no bearing on how much it can/could cause injury.

I brought it up because I detest hurlers behaving like soccer players.

Since hurlers not making a show of themselves by play-acting like soccer woolly-woofters is what I wanted to refer to, thank you for mentioning Tommy Walsh. You know what I'm referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

One of the things about Cork is they want to play this really quick game where they want to move the ball so quickly that opposition won't get near them.
    Yesterday looked very like against Tipp in the first game in the round robin in Cork.
    That day when Tipp had their puck out strategy beaten in the second half they had no answers. They are somewhat obsessed with their puck out strategy.
    I nearly burst out laughing at the start of the Tipp Laois game on TV when Donal O Grady started on about the puck out strategy and how important it would be. Cork will never get away from Donal Og and puck out strategies.

Until Cork look to get away from their current style they will always have days like yesterday when teams refuse to let them play through them. In last years U21 final they were the better team but their obsession with a short passing game was their undoing. Sometimes teams have to muck in and make it happen.

The shocking thing yesterday was Kilkenny didn't have to do a lot to go 8 points up, a couple of soft turnovers and two /three frees and the game was up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

citykat wrote: »
    Had to laugh listening to OTB just there. Actually it was laugh out loud. Denis (whose opinion i had little value on before but zero now) Walsh calling on the Cork county board to appoint Cusack as senior hurling manager. Far as i know Meyler (who comes across as a thorough gentleman) is still manager so there is no vacancy. As a Kilkenny man, I'd love to see Cusack as Cork manager. But seriously, Cusack?

What do you mean but seriously Cusack? You'd swear he was a guy that knew nothing about hurling.. I think he would be a very good, bold choice for Cork, I'd have him down Waterford

It is about character, and it was far from an isolated incident on that day.

Maher was totally out of control. Ridiculous that he wasn't sent off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zzAIbUnhWw

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

I wasn't referring to Donal Og as a coach, just when he is on rte as an analyst and also Donal O Grady, they are both obsessed with puck out strategies. Yesterday's game was won by Kilkenny refusing to let Cork play through the lines.
    Cork had absolutely no plan B. Their whole set up was about a system of play that has let them down twice already this year.

As for Donal Og as a coach, I don't know if he offered much while he was in Clare. After Clare's exit in 2017 the Sunday game pondered what had Donal Og brought to Clare and the best the panel could offer was he got on really well with the players. I have no axe to grind about Donal Og as a coach I just think he's an outstanding self publicist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Limerick got a win against a tired kilkenny team, cats will beat them this time setting up a final with Wexford.

Limerick's A.I win must have been the biggest fluke of all time.
    Scraped over a tired and injury-ridden Kilkenny team, gifted a win in the semi when Cork blew a 6 point lead by having a poor subs bench to call upon, blessed to play another tired team,Galway in the final who should've been beaten by Clare in the other semi final, who in turn would've destroyed Limerick in the final. If Galway had hurled for 20 minutes in the final rather than 10 they would've won easily.
    This is the general consensus of many,but not all, posters here.
    Whether one agrees with it or not is a matter of opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

washman3 wrote: »
    Scraped over a tired and injury-ridden Kilkenny team, gifted a win in the semi when Cork blew a 6 point lead by having a poor subs bench to call upon, blessed to play another tired team,Galway in the final who should've been beaten by Clare in the other semi final, who in turn would've destroyed Limerick in the final. If Galway had hurled for 20 minutes in the final rather than 10 they would've won easily.

I dunno if it's the general consensus but yeah people are far too happy to poke holes in yer success from last year. I guess it's the whole first all Ireland in 45 years effect.

Personally I think each win attested to the character and talent of those young hurlers, and I expect they will win a few more...this year included.

washman3 wrote: »

They beat what was put in front of them.

I would have said 2013 was the biggest fluke of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Danville

big_drive wrote: »
    Agree completely with you
    It’s taken a couple of years but the takers seem to have got it spot on. Lots missed when rule changed first but the standard of finishing has really gone to another level this year

....but several have been hit inside the 21 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Ballsology record shows 2013: Clare. It doesn't say 2013 Clare **

** they didn't beat tipp or kk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Heard the slap from the Hogan stand also.

Limerick were worthy winners alright and the best team in the country last year and look to have built upon that this year. Looks like a team that will be there or thereabouts over the next few years.

Not sure 2013 was a fluke, probably a bit of a soft one alright. Probably the two poorest teams to contest an All-Ireland that I can remember.

lim4ev wrote: »
    Ballsology record shows 2013: Clare. It doesn't say 2013 Clare **

** they didn't beat tipp or kk

They shouldn't have got a replay, is my meaning.

1. No one suggested that Paudie started THAT incident (well I certainly didn’t). Doesn’t make his reaction any better

2. Jaysus you must have some hearing to hear a hurl on skin slap some 30m away and to think the linesman some 5m didn’t hear it nor the RTÉ mics.

3. Wild pull and accident don’t go together. It was one or the other. If he pulled wild then it wasn’t an accident. It was one handed and he had no hope of getting the ball on the ground. The slip up the hurl theory was made up by Liam’s Sheehy at half time in that game. Marty called it at the time as a wild pull. It was the follow through that caught Rice. Unfortunate yes, an accident no.

4. These things don’t just happen. Just because a fellow county man does something wreckless doesn’t make it right. Furthermore, citing a similar incident by an rival county doesn’t make it right either. It also seems you can’t let go of the Tommy Walsh incident?

5. I never said I don’t like Maher. What I said was that he is a great hurler but gets away with a lot. He does.

Was he hit by a Dunphy? Yes
    Did he go down softly? Yes
    Did he strike one of the Laois players? Yes

Now can you point to a single lie in the above? and to be absolutely clear, there is a difference between a lie and a belief.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Heard the slap from the Hogan stand also.

If the slap was that loud I’m certain the ref would have stopped the game. He was less than 10m from it and the linesman even closer.
    Hurl on skin or even bone doesn’t make that much noise anyway especially compared to hurl on hurl. There was minimal force involved so while I’m not saying you didn’t hear it, I find it unlikely.

Nic_Col wrote: »
    Couldn't care less yet you still replied, lol

If you play the man and not the ball, you have no right to cry if the man bites back.

Yes, indeed I did reply. I'd have been happy to use smoke signals or something if that were an option, but it's difficult to say what you want to say without actually replying.

And thanks for telling me that you were "biting back" - I hadn't realised things were that serious. Consider me totally bitten. Some real hard men around here tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yes, indeed I did reply. I'd have been happy to use smoke signals or something if that were an option, but it's difficult to say what you want to say without actually replying.

And thanks for telling me that you were "biting back" - I hadn't realised things were that serious. Consider me totally bitten. Some real hard men around here tonight.

Mod Warning

Powerhouse please desist from the nit picking at fellow posters and tone down your aggressive posting style.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Limerick should of never of gotten extra time in the semi. Cork did what limerick did in 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Limerick should of never of gotten extra time in the semi. Cork did what limerick did in 1994.

You're incorrect there. Limerick pegged Cork back with points,nothing fortuitous about it. That Cork are flakey has been proven this year but that's their problem.

• Advertisement

BloodyBill wrote: »
    You're incorrect there. Limerick pegged Cork back with points,nothing fortuitous about it. That Cork are flakey has been proven this year but that's their problem.

Their bench is an issue, but I wonder about their conditioning too.
    Was surprised when down in Cork earlier in the year watching the Tipp game, how meekly their challenge fizzled out in the last 10/15 minutes. Similar last Sunday and of course the Limerick game last year.

Advertisement