Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Butterbeans

Fenster wrote: »
    GRACKEA wrote: »
    I signed up for my first race and have been following a training plan on a running app. Each session has had a time goal so far but this week there's a "speed" run where the goal is 3 x 1000.

Run as hard as you can for 1000m, then jog slowly for 500m to recover. Repeat three times. You should read it as 3x 1000/500.
    I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. Consistency is key with intervals also. If you go balls out on your first one you won't maintain that pace for the remaining intervals. Certainly go hard, but not so hard that you cannot maintain that pace for however many intervals the session requires.....if that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Hi,

Feeling a bit of tenderness in my right forefoot when running long distances and am looking at insoles. I googled forefront insoles and got all sorts of options back, results differ from a regular insole that fits from toe to heel, options include support just for that part of the foot.

Anyone using this type of forefoot support?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I get slight pain in my fore foot as well, usually when I try to increase the mileage. Physio just said i had to manage it the load, increase slowly when theres no pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

28064212 wrote: »
    There generally is a recovery period between each 1k rep, but there's no "standard", it depends on what the session is supposed to be doing. A 5k runner might have 60 seconds static rest. A 1500m runner might have 2 minutes or more between reps. A marathoner might have 30 seconds of easy running.

The training plan should specify what the recovery is, and if it doesn't, it's not a very good plan

On further inspection (i.e. clicking the session rather than just reading the title) it breaks it down for me into goal speed and recovery time. It also has an in ear coaching feature if you're wearing headphones :)

Went out running yesterday and the sweat getting into my eyeS!!!

Was thinking of a head sweat band but cant say I have ever seen another runner wearing one. Also, hats dont seem to be too popular either!.

Does anyone on here sport a sweat band?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

HugoMyBoss wrote: »

Was thinking of a head sweat band but cant say I have ever seen another runner wearing one. Also, hats dont seem to be too popular either!.

I wear a wrist band and just wipe my forehead.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I wear a buff most of the time when I'm running as a hairband.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

HugoMyBoss wrote:

Yep all the time. Multi purpose. Sweat control, sunburn prevention due to my big forehead and keeping the earphones in place when I do wear them coz I have wonky ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm assuming you're male. I've seen men wearing buffs, in particular men who are bald/balding to protect their head from the sun.
    Himself at home slatters Vaseline across the tops of his eyebrows going well out into the templates and across the middle of his brows to keep sweat out of his eyes. He also wears one of those sweat bands on his wrist to wipe himself with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I wear a baseball cap when I think sweat might be a thing. All races and sessions would see the cap donned as well as on a long run on a hot day.

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're male. I've seen men wearing buffs, in particular men who are bald/balding to protect their head from the sun.
    Himself at home slatters Vaseline across the tops of his eyebrows going well out into the templates and across the middle of his brows to keep sweat out of his eyes. He also wears one of those sweat bands on his wrist to wipe himself with.

Never heard of using vaseline before, interesting

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

A sun visor maybe or a baseball hat. You can get light running ones. Alternatively vaseline on eyebrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

More of a request than question really, I will be home from 19th-28th of July if anyone fancies meeting me for run drop me a PM, Midlands based. Can travel within reason as have two small ones with me. Will be racing South Dublin 10k also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

OOnegative wrote: »
    More of a request than question really, I will be home from 19th-28th of July if anyone fancies meeting me for run drop me a PM, Midlands based. Can travel within reason as have two small ones with me. Will be racing South Dublin 10k also.

See you in Clondalkin so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Anyone else noticing more cardiac drift than usual at the moment? I've been experiencing it the last couple of weeks, more noticeably than usual, and reckon the humidity has a part to play. But I'm also only a few weeks in to building my training back up so it could just be lack of fitness!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

eyrie wrote: »
    Anyone else noticing more cardiac drift than usual at the moment? I've been experiencing it the last couple of weeks, more noticeably than usual, and reckon the humidity has a part to play. But I'm also only a few weeks in to building my training back up so it could just be lack of fitness!

Yes, I've noticed the same eyrie. I lost a GC VO2 max point about 10 days ago, presumably because my HR has been higher than normal even on easy runs. There was a slight improvement in yesterday's run finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

ariana` wrote: »
    Yes, I've noticed the same eyrie. I lost a GC VO2 max point about 10 days ago, presumably because my HR has been higher than normal even on easy runs. There was a slight improvement in yesterday's run finally.
    Oh yes I'm having that too! Maybe we'll eventually adjust to the humidity :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

OOnegative wrote: »
    Look up Athlone Moate Running Group on Facebook. They meet at Kilmartins petrol station on the outskirts of Athlone each Sunday morning and do various miles at different paces, I think most do their own thing just with a bit of company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Best exercise for strengthening my thigh muscles? They get tired quickly enough out running..I could go forever bar this issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Zipppy wrote: »
    Best exercise for strengthening my thigh muscles? They get tired quickly enough out running..I could go forever bar this issue...

More running. Only way to go further.

Try rolling.

Get gait checked. Running will trash your joints if thats not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

hills, careful lunges

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Question for Garmin experts!

I wear a fenix 3 HR but when I am doing intervals I prefer to use a heart rate monitor as I find a lag when using the wrist HR.

My question is do I have to turn the wrist HR off, or will the watch automatically switch to the heart rate monitor if it detects it?

Haven't been able to find an answer on the garmin forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I wear a fenix 3 HR but when I am doing intervals I prefer to use a heart rate monitor as I find a lag when using the wrist HR.

My question is do I have to turn the wrist HR off, or will the watch automatically switch to the heart rate monitor if it detects it?

It will prioritise external accessories for data

It automatically switches to the HR monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Thanks folks. Great that I don't have to turn the wrist HR off and back on again after my run like I may have been doing for weeks. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

My marathon training is approaching the peak/taper stage. I'm not feeling the kind of tiredness or muscle soreness that you get when starting out running. What's happening is that I feel drained after my long runs and wind up sleeping loads to catch up. Is this normal? I slept for two hours after a 32k run on Sunday, and had to nap on Monday as I felt so drained of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

My marathon training is approaching the peak/taper stage. I'm not feeling the kind of tiredness or muscle soreness that you get when starting out running. What's happening is that I feel drained after my long runs and wind up sleeping loads to catch up. Is this normal? I slept for two hours after a 32k run on Sunday, and had to nap on Monday as I felt so drained of energy.

The heat

Are you sure your nutrition and hydration are what they should be? The heat would take a bit out of you, that’s for sure. I’ve often done long runs and loved to have had a nap after but with two smallies it’s never an option. I do know a couple of my friends with no kids will happily take naps though after long runs so maybe it’s normal enough but maybe do a system’s check of everything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How big of a factor is this recent heat? Speaking in general terms obviously.

I did the race series 10k on Sunday. I have been doing higher mileages this year and was targeting a time about 90 secs quicker than the PB I set last year, it was a reasonable enough target I think based on various things.

I finished about 10 secs slower than that PB, so not exactly a bad time but still disappointing considering my targets. I was thinking through the reasons why and wonder how much of an effect that heat was on Sunday morning?

Obviously I could feel it was a warm morning and I was a bit lethargic, but I wouldn't exactly say I was melting or anything like that, it didn't really occur to me to think about the heat until I heard multiple other people reference it.

Could the heat account for the drop in expected time and that I might be overthinking it by looking for other reasons such as training or preparation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

How big of a factor is this recent heat? Speaking in general terms obviously.

I did the race series 10k on Sunday. I have been doing higher mileages this year and was targeting a time about 90 secs quicker than the PB I set last year, it was a reasonable enough target I think based on various things.

I finished about 10 secs slower than that PB, so not exactly a bad time but still disappointing considering my targets. I was thinking through the reasons why and wonder how much of an effect that heat was on Sunday morning?

Obviously I could feel it was a warm morning and I was a bit lethargic, but I wouldn't exactly say I was melting or anything like that, it didn't really occur to me to think about the heat until I heard multiple other people reference it.

Could the heat account for the drop in expected time and that I might be overthinking it by looking for other reasons such as training or preparation?
    Heat can be a factor so can the wind! But you can't just take one race in isolation to determine weather you're improving or not. There are far more things to take into consideration like your training plan and complementary training, your diet, your sleep. Did you over cook the first few kilometres trying for a 90 seconds pb? How race sharp are you? 90 seconds is a lot how did you determine this? Everyone will have bad races but if the general trend is that you are improving that's what's important. Your not going to pb in every race.

Advertisement