Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Sussex18 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any links for foot strengthing exercises? Thanks

Toe Yoga from Anatomy for Runners by Jay Dicharry is my go-to resource. A few articles and videos on line also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

gypsylee wrote: »
    I got a pair and did not like them at all. Something about the double layer felt uncomfortable. Aldi and Lidl running socks are the best for me.

I find that washing them inside out causes problems. They also need to be reshaped before use and probably don't last 1000 miles but I'd still recommend them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Is the track in UL open for the public this time of year? If not any recommendations a fairly flat loop to do 800s in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

What side of town are you on?

Edit no idea about UL track

Staying slap bang city centre. I was thinking the track for showers after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Is the track in UL open for the public this time of year? If not any recommendations a fairly flat loop to do 800s in Limerick?

I've never ventured onto the track, but if you head over and it's not open, then there's the open grass field right beside it (between the arena and the main road). The grass is well maintained and the loop is 0.4 of a mile, very flat. Behind that you have new 3G pitches which have a gravel path around them that many runners use. There's a small bit of a rise in it, and one tight corner on a little slope but it's not bad either. A loop there is 0.7 of a mile I reckon. There's also a square tarmac loop inside that which is dead flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I know the answer to this question is probably 'adrenaline!', but pacing parkrun on Saturday got me thinking about how paces feel easy or hard depending on the circumstances.

For example, if I'm racing a parkrun, I'm delighted with a time under 20.30, and happy with under 21 - and those paces feel hard. I'm wrecked after. (6.40-45 pace?)

I paced 24 minutes on Saturday (really enjoyed it, well done to all my pacees), about 7.40 pace, and within the context of the parkrun that felt very comfortable. I didn't feel like I was jogging, but I could talk and wave and encourage and was comfortable. On the other hand, when I'm running on my own - like on my run-commute - I'd feel like I was working hard at 8.30 pace (I generally run closer to 9 min pace) and I'd be struggling to break 8 minute pace.

Why does it feel SO different? is it all in the mind? Or is it also because I warm up before parkrun (even for pacing), don't have to stop and start and weave around pedestrians etc.

Anyone else feel the same way?

I suppose it depends on how close to your race pace you’re pacing. As a regular 24-min pacer myself, it corresponds fairly closely to my marathon pace and therefore should feel easy if you’re in relatively good shape. Add in the occasion, the crowds, and it all contributes to what generally for me feels like an enjoyable chatty canter around the course - although like you, if I was doing it as part of a MP run in my own it would feel very different.

Nice job!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I've never ventured onto the track, but if you head over and it's not open, then there's the open grass field right beside it (between the arena and the main road). The grass is well maintained and the loop is 0.4 of a mile, very flat. Behind that you have new 3G pitches which have a gravel path around them that many runners use. There's a small bit of a rise in it, and one tight corner on a little slope but it's not bad either. A loop there is 0.7 of a mile I reckon. There's also a square tarmac loop inside that which is dead flat.
    Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Staying slap bang city centre. I was thinking the track for showers after.

I find north circular road good for those type of intervals. It's longer than 800m but doesn't really matter. Shelbourne park is ideal but a bit cornery as opposed to curvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

I tried out the new 1000 mile socks at the weekend with a 21km run. No blisters and my feet grand.

However, it as only my second run in the new kayanos and after about 18km I began to feel uncomfortable around the hip area. By the time I got to 20, I wanted to stop as the discomfort got worse. It was a pain on the outside of the top of my thighs, just under the hip bone and around that area?, this is my first time wearing shoes for overpronating, would this be the cause?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

This might be too late for you but Yeah, it's open all year round for everyone unless there's group or event bookings. Costs 3 quid to use, give them a bell to see if it's free when you'll be around first just to save the trip out

Forgot the number- (061) 233711

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

not loops but I do mine on Tipperary road...failrly flat...from Ez Living out to the roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Does anyone in Galway know anything about the new running track being built in Mervue behind Cluain Mhuaire? Will it be open for use in the locality? It's right around the corner for me, so it'd be perfect for interval training.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Not in Galway but a quick Google suggests it's a City Council facility and thus will be available to everyone, at least in theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Ah class!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Whats the craic with breaking in new runners? Myth or truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

mutley18 wrote: »
    Whats the craic with breaking in new runners? Myth or truth?

If they are a new type for you, then an easy run or two is a good idea to make sure they don’t hurt your feet. If they are not, then I just put them straight into full use.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Just got back into running this week after a few years off and living fairly sedentary, have put in a good few kms so far, but I've been wondering when running, when I feel pain in my calves and start losing form, is it better to push through it and to consciously correct my form or just take a 30-60 second break and start going again? I can usually find my rhythm again pretty quickly, just don't really know if it's actually beneficial to push through it, as I feel like I can go much further if I just take a short break, but maybe if I push through the pain then I'll get fitter quicker( will be able to run with less pain)? Probably sounds obvious, but not really sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Just got back into running this week after a few years off and living fairly sedentary, have put in a good few kms so far, but I've been wondering when running, when I feel pain in my calves and start losing form, is it better to push through it and to consciously correct my form or just take a 30-60 second break and start going again? I can usually find my rhythm again pretty quickly, just don't really know if it's actually beneficial to push through it, as I feel like I can go much further if I just take a short break, but maybe if I push through the pain then I'll get fitter quicker( will be able to run with less pain)? Probably sounds obvious, but not really sure.
    When starting back it's like starting from scratch (however you do tend to advance quicker in my experience). It sounds like you are running too fast, scale back the pace until you can run with no pain and keep form then gradually build up pace/distance.
    There is no quick fix or short cuts unfortunately, just slow & consistent build up. Whenever I start to lose form on heavy sessions I know its time to ease back a bit as there is no benefit to training like that (apart from the mental toughness part)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Sussex18

You wouldn't try strengthing exercises while an area is already hurting would you? I've Plantar Fasciatis, should I try strengthing exercises now or wait until I'm actually feeling better?. Not looking for medical advice but has anyone tried Magnesium supplements? I seem to be injury prone. Plantar Fasciatis reoccurs a lot.
    Thanks
    S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I keep getting awful leg cramps in bed....like AWFUL.....any connection to stretching or maybe dehydration ? This happens especially night after a few beers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

Zipppy wrote: »
    I keep getting awful leg cramps in bed....like AWFUL.....any connection to stretching or maybe dehydration ? This happens especially night after a few beers....

Hydration and sodium. I use what's called an ORS(oral rehydration solution) drink after drinking or when I'm really dehydrated because water needs sodium to be absorbed properly, otherwise you just pass it or further dilute your sodium levels.

1 litre of water
    6 teaspoons of sugar
    1/2 teaspoon of salt
    Squeeze of lemon to flavour and for vitamins.

This is essential a drinkable version of a saline drip you get in hospital and is a homemade electrolyte drink. Drink that before going to bed when on the sauce and it should get rid of your cramping and it will also help hugely with hangover symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Fusitive wrote:
    This is essential a drinkable version of a saline drip you get in hospital and is a homemade electrolyte drink. Drink that before going to bed when on the sauce and it should get rid of your cramping and it will also help hugely with hangover symptoms.

Brilliant.. I'll give that a go...cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Realistically, how many weeks of a marathon training block can you miss if you are injured?

I badly sprained my ankle this week and it looks like August - the month when I should be ramping up the miles - will be a complete write off. I wondering if I should forget about DCM this year and focus on healing it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Derco wrote: »
    Realistically, how many weeks of a marathon training block can you miss if you are injured?

I badly sprained my ankle this week and it looks like August - the month when I should be ramping up the miles - will be a complete write off. I wondering if I should forget about DCM this year and focus on healing it right.

I wouldn't write it off if you manage to get back running by Sep. I would re-assess your goal though, based on experience.

You will lose fitness unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Derco wrote: »

Depends what your goal is. If it's just finishing then any length can be managed. If you want to run your best possible PB, then that's a problem.

I once missed 6 weeks of training for my goal race, once I got running again I had about 3 weeks of training plus 2 weeks of taper left. I sure wasn't in top shape but I managed to get through it in decent shape, despite the long break.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Beer for hydration! With it being the week of the Fleadh this is great news

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just wondering what people's experiences are with wobble/balance boards?

Having a few issues with calves/Achilles at the minute - my physio mentioned that they might help but having had a quick look on Amazon I'm none the wiser as there seems to be endless types and variations :confused:

cheers cm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Just wondering what people's experiences are with wobble/balance boards?

Having a few issues with calves/Achilles at the minute - my physio mentioned that they might help but having had a quick look on Amazon I'm none the wiser as there seems to be endless types and variations :confused:

cheers cm

Yes I got one a few years ago for the same issue and I use it on and off. It’s good for improving balance and therefore strengthening soleous muscles in my case. I just got a small cheap one plastic as I wasn’t sure what it would be like. My physio has a bigger one with wooden rim which is easier to use.
    Btw start off in short bursts if you do get one as I over did it the first time and really felt it.

Advertisement