Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

busylady wrote: »
    The purchasers' solicitor has to prepare their list of closing requirements, draft the purchase deed and draft the letter returning the contracts which may include special conditions - there is some time involved in dealing with this paperwork after the contracts have been signed. They may also be waiting for the deposit funds to arrive into their account - it is not unusual for the process to take at at least a few days. Also many staff may still be working remotely which does slow the process up a bit.

Thanks for this. Makes a little bit of sense. Most of the paperwork could’ve been ready by the time they sign though

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Draco wrote: »
    Just gone sale agreed on my apartment at 2% under asking and sale agreed on a house at 6% under asking - both in D7.

The apartment was up for a week whereas the house has been up since January/February. The house is a little challenging in that it needs full refurbishment but there was still a bit of interest in it.

Now for the long slog through all the paperwork.
    Finally signing for both tomorrow. It's been a painful process with huge delays caused by the bank waiting for responses from them. Everyone is highly strung and stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Finally signing for both tomorrow. It's been a painful process with huge delays caused by the bank waiting for responses from them. Everyone is highly strung and stressed.

Congratulations!

Congrats, hopefully I’ll be able to say something similar in a couple of days. Still awaiting the return of the contracts from my purchasers

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭squareboy007

We have sold our house on 15th September and are living with the in laws at the moment.

The contracts are signed on the house we are buying but it is currently going through Probate in Dublin.

The Probate was originally submitted on 6th July and resubmitted following queries on 4th September. The originally indicated timeline was 4-6 weeks and a request for it to be expedited has been submitted.

I am finding it impossible to figure out current processing times. Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I doubn't anyone could shed a light on probate processing times who doesn't work there. I have a probate submission outstanding since June. My son applied for an Irish passport over a year ago and has heard nothing. He tried to ask for an update a few days ago via their chat function and had the window open for 5 hours waiting to get through, the last two hours of that as first in the queue, before he gave up and disconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Some of the banks cashback offers are expiring 31 December, what do people think are the chances of them being retained?

Wouldn't surprise me if they do away with it and reduce rates instead to compete with the Avant headline rates.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Some of the banks cashback offers are expiring 31 December, what do people think are the chances of them being retained?

Wouldn't surprise me if they do away with it and reduce rates instead to compete with the Avant headline rates.

I’d say they’ll continue

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

My BOI advisor said the offer with them (2% on drawdown, 1% after 5 years) is going to be extended to June 2021. They'll keep rolling it over as long as its getting them business.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

I was afraid that could happen to me as well... fortunately my drawdown should come in the next two weeks

by the way, for those applying for a mortgage with BOI, it might be worth opening a mortgage saver account. It gives tou 2K euro if you use the money you put in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Buying Assistance

Myself and my girlfriend viewed a property 3 weeks ago tomorrow, put an offer in at the viewing as we both thought it was a great fit. Small bidding war against another party which went on for 4 days, they pulled out leaving us the highest bidders, what we consider a fair price for the property. EA went to the vendor with the bid, and recommended they accept but they asked for more time to mull over it, that was fine with us thinking it would've been 2 or 3 days.

Fast forward 2 weeks and vendor hasn't accepted nor rejected our bid but now wants another viewing this week. EA told us there has been very little interest since our final bid has gone in and the few parties who are planning on viewing think our bid is a little bit out of budget for them.

What do we do :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Buying Assistance

Myself and my girlfriend viewed a property 3 weeks ago tomorrow, put an offer in at the viewing as we both thought it was a great fit. Small bidding war against another party which went on for 4 days, they pulled out leaving us the highest bidders, what we consider a fair price for the property. EA went to the vendor with the bid, and recommended they accept but they asked for more time to mull over it, that was fine with us thinking it would've been 2 or 3 days.

Fast forward 2 weeks and vendor hasn't accepted nor rejected our bid but now wants another viewing this week. EA told us there has been very little interest since our final bid has gone in and the few parties who are planning on viewing think our bid is a little bit out of budget for them.

I think the only thing you can do is wait it out, if it's the right house for you it will work out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

Buying Assistance

Sellers delaying for some reason - be it getting better price or something else that they sorting in background . I had same scenario and just got tired of waiting as was v patient and just said offer on table till X and if not interested just walk away , EA wasn't chasing me to try and seal deal - hew was being cryptic to me so I just got fed up with it all as felt more going on in background. up to you though on how much you want house and if you want to risk this. The house I looked at eventually sold nearly a yar after I walked away - few grand less than my offer too . I since bought and much happier with my location so it worked out but when you in moment in time its so hard to know what to do ! Best of luck !!

mimimcmc wrote: »
    I think the only thing you can do is wait it out, if it's the right house for you it will work out :)

Fingers crossed! Thanks.
    whatever76 wrote: »
    Sellers delaying for some reason - be it getting better price or something else that they sorting in background . I had same scenario and just got tired of waiting as was v patient and just said offer on table till X and if not interested just walk away , EA wasn't chasing me to try and seal deal - hew was being cryptic to me so I just got fed up with it all as felt more going on in background. up to you though on how much you want house and if you want to risk this. The house I looked at eventually sold nearly a yar after I walked away - few grand less than my offer too . I since bought and much happier with my location so it worked out but when you in moment in time its so hard to know what to do ! Best of luck !!

Hopefully it does, ticks all our boxes. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cian59

mimimcmc wrote: »

I wish someone told me at the very start that the hardest thing when buying a house is the waiting. Every part of the process involves huge waits with no information. I'll be a master in patience by the end of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Buying Assistance

Hopefully don't end up in the same situation, but highest bidder myself and some slightly concerning feedback from Estate Agent. Highest bidder, bit of a bidding war, but seem to be holding off. Probably slightly over priced at this stage.

If they start dawdling I might put pressure on with "we're viewing other properties". Might hasten their decision a little. There's no bluff for them to call out but might push them to decide for fear of losing your offer.

Cian59 wrote: »
    I wish someone told me at the very start that the hardest thing when buying a house is the waiting. Every part of the process involves huge waits with no information. I'll be a master in patience by the end of this.

Sale agreed since 6/9. Still haven’t received purchasers contracts. The waiting is excruciating

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

We're sale agreed since the 4th of August, been so much delaying (on the sellers side) even though the sellers wanted a quick sale as we're in a chain...
    Waiting now for them to get builders in to fix an issue that arose in the engineers report.
    It's been 3 weeks now since we heard anything from the estate agent.
    But we're willing to hold out because it ticks all our boxes.
    Fingers crossed! Thanks.

Hopefully it does, ticks all our boxes. Thanks.

As i said ^ ours does too, so we'll hold tight and hope for the best :)

givyjoe wrote: »
    Hopefully don't end up in the same situation, but highest bidder myself and some slightly concerning feedback from Estate Agent. Highest bidder, bit of a bidding war, but seem to be holding off. Probably slightly over priced at this stage.

If they start dawdling I might put pressure on with "we're viewing other properties". Might hasten their decision a little. There's no bluff for them to call out but might push them to decide for fear of losing your offer.

Yeah we have told the EA that we will be not be increasing our current bid and will re-begin our search if we hear nothing by mid next week. Got to play the waiting game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sanfranbest

Why does it take so long to purchase a property in Ireland??????

I bought a house in the US a few years ago,
    Viewed it on a Monday morning, Made an offer and it was accepted Monday afternoon.
    Signed all paperwork on Tuesday,
    The sale was recorded on Thursday at 10am and I had the keys and moved in Thursday afternoon.
    So four days from viewing to moving in.
    The house was vacant,, so that helped speed things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Sale agreed since 6/9. Still haven’t received purchasers contracts. The waiting is excruciating

We're 5/8 - I'm fit for the looney bin.

GrumPy wrote: »
    We're 5/8 - I'm fit for the looney bin.

That I’d call taking the p**s

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Shoden

Why does it take so long to purchase a property in Ireland??????

I bought a house in the US a few years ago,
    Viewed it on a Monday morning, Made an offer and it was accepted Monday afternoon.
    Signed all paperwork on Tuesday,
    The sale was recorded on Thursday at 10am and I had the keys and moved in Thursday afternoon.
    So four days from viewing to moving in.
    The house was vacant,, so that helped speed things up.

Likewise, one of the lads bought in Canada. Went into the bank, filled out a six page form, they told him how much he could borrow, he bought a place within that amount and was moved in and all in a few weeks from start to finish. He's laughing at all of our issues and roadblocks!

What the hell is wrong with the system here!?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CarMc

Shoden wrote: »
    Likewise, one of the lads bought in Canada. Went into the bank, filled out a six page form, they told him how much he could borrow, he bought a place within that amount and was moved in and all in a few weeks from start to finish. He's laughing at all of our issues and roadblocks!

Not sure I'd want it to be that quick - what about legal searches, land registry searches, surveys etc?

But yes I agree it's a convoluted process here with loads of unnecessary delays, I think most of them are the solicitors just sitting on documents. We signed on a Friday, solicitor said they would get all the docs ready that afternoon and courier to the vendors solicitor. I checked the following Thursday to see if the vendor had signed and was told the documents were only going out that day! So they sat on them for 6 days for no reason. Delays like that all the way through add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Shoden

CarMc wrote: »
    Not sure I'd want it to be that quick - what about legal searches, land registry searches, surveys etc?

But yes I agree it's a convoluted process here with loads of unnecessary delays, I think most of them are the solicitors just sitting on documents. We signed on a Friday, solicitor said they would get all the docs ready that afternoon and courier to the vendors solicitor. I checked the following Thursday to see if the vendor had signed and was told the documents were only going out that day! So they sat on them for 6 days for no reason. Delays like that all the way through add up.

I'm sure, given that he got a mortgage for it that all the required legal steps were taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sanfranbest

It's safer here in the USA,, You must buy Title Insurance,,, and if anything is found after the sale,, the Title insurance will sort it out.
    Great system to speed things up.

It's safer here in the USA,, You must buy Title Insurance,,, and if anything is found after the sale,, the Title insurance will sort it out.
    Great system to speed things up.

It's even safer in Western Australia. All the titles and maps are compterised. No need for insurance. You can buy and sell houses without needing a solicitor Fees for a settlement agent can be around €390.

Shoden wrote: »

Same in Australia, quick, efficient and low cost.

The Irish government has a policy of ensuring there are financial frictions built into everything, in the belief this generates lots of jobs and employment, so instead of fixing the rubbish in the inherited British legal system, they preserve and enhance it to make sure you need to employ a lawyer, instead of fixing the legal garbage and ancillaries like the title system so you don't need a solicitor and the whole process can be made a lot simpler and cheaper.

Another example would be BER certificates. What a crock of poo that one is.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭td2008

Watching a BOI home buyer event and they mentioned it would be extended - no dates given though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

All those documents in a proper system would be digitized and on line
    easy to access for solicitors etc
    However we use an archaic British system that looks after solicitors and the state

Advertisement