Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Vikings wrote: »
    And in this particular case there is an online bidding system, which if my suspicions are true, involves some serious elements of fraud at play by the EA.

You can go to the EAs office to submit a bid in person which then requires it to be entered into the Bidding Log Book. This also gives you an opportunity to look the EA in the face which then reduces their ability to blatantly lie (if youre suspicious of that).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    You can go to the EAs office to submit a bid in person which then requires it to be entered into the Bidding Log Book. This also gives you an opportunity to look the EA in the face which then reduces their ability to blatantly lie (if youre suspicious of that).

If an EA has not got the ability to blatantly lie to your face then he/she is not a proper EA

brisan wrote: »
    If an EA has not got the ability to blatantly lie to your face then he/she is not a proper EA

Ha, true enough.

We have made an opening bid on a house (about 2% Under asking), the house is almost certainly worth more. It has been up for a few weeks and we are only bidder, we bid on Monday.

We basically put the bid in just to signal our own intent, expecting other bids to have been in or to have come in but so far its just us.

We didnt time limit it or anything, its just sitting there, not accepted nor rejected. I would be very surprised if they were to let it go at the current bid price nonetheless But I would like to speed up the process, rather than just have my bid sitting there as the reference point for other viewers etc.

Anyone been in this scenario? Have you increased a bid to try move things along? We were already told about 10 days ago that they want to leave the house on the market and see how it plays out for a few weeks. Not sure what to do as a next step

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 alicantra123

Has anyone had any issues around putting a clause in contracts in relation to getting their deposit back if bank withdraws a mortgage for some reason? I am at signing contracts stage myself and will be instructing my solicitor to include this but have heard some vendors can be put off by this.

as an aside, It might be an idea to make a designated thread specifically on bidding on houses/speculating about price fluctuations as this seems to be what most of the discussion on here is about. I had a lot of questions about this myself when I was bidding and the uncertainty was excruciating so I'm sure designated thread would be helpful. not a criticism of anyone's genuine questions, just a suggestion to make things easier to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Has anyone had any issues around putting a clause in contracts in relation to getting their deposit back if bank withdraws a mortgage for some reason? I am at signing contracts stage myself and will be instructing my solicitor to include this but have heard some vendors can be put off by this.

as an aside, It might be an idea to make a designated thread specifically on bidding on houses/speculating about price fluctuations as this seems to be what most of the discussion on here is about. I had a lot of questions about this myself when I was bidding and the uncertainty was excruciating so I'm sure designated thread would be helpful. not a criticism of anyone's genuine questions, just a suggestion to make things easier to navigate.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058095305

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Went sale agreed 5 weeks ago 15k under asking.

Nearly had issue getting loan offer but got it in the end.

Signed contracts last Thursday morning including the clause you speak of (you would be insane not to). I asked my solicitor about it causing a problem and she said she hasn’t had anyone who’ve been refused over this clause but she has seen people lose their money around the time of the boom because solicitors just rushed everything through without thinking.

So nervous about drawdown and terrified the bank will create problems.
    We just need to submit 2 months bank statements each which we are doing on Friday.

Not sure if vendor has signed their side of contracts yet.
    Waiting nervously for an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Went sale agreed 5 weeks ago 15k under asking.

Nearly had issue getting loan offer but got it in the end.

Signed contracts last Thursday morning including the clause you speak of (you would be insane not to). I asked my solicitor about it causing a problem and she said she hasn’t had anyone who’ve been refused over this clause but she has seen people lose their money around the time of the boom because solicitors just rushed everything through without thinking.

So nervous about drawdown and terrified the bank will create problems.
    We just need to submit 2 months bank statements each which we are doing on Friday.

Not sure if vendor has signed their side of contracts yet.
    Waiting nervously for an update.

One of the girls thats buying a place fced this isue. Chain sale and vendor wanted no clause. She point blank refused no....still an ongoing issue

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CR0009836

We successfully drew down yesterday with AIB without an issue.. my partner is also on the covid top up subsidy. Not sure what your situation is but i'm sure you'll be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

CR0009836 wrote: »
    We successfully drew down yesterday with AIB without an issue.. my partner is also on the covid top up subsidy. Not sure what your situation is but i'm sure you'll be fine!

Congrats!
    We’re taking our mortgage out with UB.

Just wondering did it take long to drawdown after funds where requested?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    We have made an opening bid on a house (about 2% Under asking), the house is almost certainly worth more. It has been up for a few weeks and we are only bidder, we bid on Monday.

We basically put the bid in just to signal our own intent, expecting other bids to have been in or to have come in but so far its just us.

We didnt time limit it or anything, its just sitting there, not accepted nor rejected. I would be very surprised if they were to let it go at the current bid price nonetheless But I would like to speed up the process, rather than just have my bid sitting there as the reference point for other viewers etc.

Anyone been in this scenario? Have you increased a bid to try move things along? We were already told about 10 days ago that they want to leave the house on the market and see how it plays out for a few weeks. Not sure what to do as a next step

We were in a similar position until yesterday. We were the only bidders for about a month. We got a call to say theres now another bidder 20k higher than our offer. We'll go back with small increases until the point we've decided we'll walk at. At our first viewing 2 months ago, the EA said he expected a deal to be done in 2 weeks. He said the same yesterday.

I wouldn't be inclined to raise your bid if you think the vendor is waiting for another bidder. Leave them wait. Its a pain for you but also may be for them. It sounds to me that at the moment, if you were to raise your bid, that they'll just leave it on the table anyway because they're hoping for a bidding war so why do yourself out of a few k unnecessarily? Its all a game & very frustrating. Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Smiley11 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be inclined to raise your bid if you think the vendor is waiting for another bidder. Leave them wait. Its a pain for you but also may be for them. It sounds to me that at the moment, if you were to raise your bid, that they'll just leave it on the table anyway because they're hoping for a bidding war so why do yourself out of a few k unnecessarily? Its all a game & very frustrating. Good luck with it!

I agree.. we did the same. Decided not to outbid ourselves and surely enough there was another bidder a few days later.. got into a bidding war but came out on top thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Just gone sale agreed at asking price for a 190sm/m detached dormer with sea views with a 30 minute commute to work :)
    Delighted

Just gone sale agreed at asking price for a 190sm/m detached dormer with sea views with a 30 minute commute to work :)
    Delighted

Congrats!
    In Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GalwayyGirl

CR0009836 wrote: »
    Was your partner’s income included in the application?

I am receiving the subsidy top up and I have been told by all the main lenders that my income would not be included in the application but we can borrow x3.5 times my partner’s income (not affected by covid). So we’re now not able to borrow enough to qualify for HTB.

Thanks and congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Our solicitor has written to KBC for permission to qualify the title for a couple of issues. Has anyone done this recently? Waiting over two weeks since the letter, broker has followed up but still not heard anything. Afraid this could take a long time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Delighted

Well done.

I was involved in a bidding process and eventually won out at 5.4% over asking.

Offer accepted, paid a deposit. Then learnt that underbidder has come back in the race with a better offer. Awaiting the outcome.......

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

Will Yam wrote: »
    Well done.

Offer accepted, paid a deposit. Then learnt that underbidder has come back in the race with a better offer. Awaiting the outcome.......

Good luck! We're bidding now & I dread something like that happening but hopefully luck will be on your side. I'm trying to tell myself not to be too emotionally invested but once you can afford it & its not outrageous, knock 'em out of the park

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Well done.

If they accepted a deposit, shouldn't that be the end of it? What is the point of the deposit otherwise?

Genuine question btw.

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »
    If they accepted a deposit, shouldn't that be the end of it? What is the point of the deposit otherwise?

Genuine question btw.

It should, but as they’re not binding, if they offer let’s say a further 10k, the seller may go for it and return the deposit. The same way, the but could see another property and cancel his deposit. It’s not definite

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Markitron wrote: »

Genuine question btw.

Its all “subject to contract”. Nothing is legal until contract is signed. The deposit is simply an indication of seriousness, and is refundable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It should, but as they’re not binding, if they offer let’s say a further 10k, the seller may go for it and return the deposit. The same way, the but could see another property and cancel his deposit. It’s not definite
    Its all “subject to contract”. Nothing is legal until contract is signed. The deposit is simply an indication of seriousness, and is refundable.

It seems kind of pointless so? Then again there is a lot about the Irish property market that seems pointless and/or confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Once you go sale agreed and paid the booking deposit, the owners should not entertain further offers and if they do, you are gazumped. It’s bad faith of the seller to do that. But equally the purchase can try renegotiate the price if engineers report raised issues. Pretty much a buyer beware situation so a lot of checks to be done before contracts signed and until they are signed, either party can walk away.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Just gone sale agreed on my apartment at 2% under asking and sale agreed on a house at 6% under asking - both in D7.

The apartment was up for a week whereas the house has been up since January/February. The house is a little challenging in that it needs full refurbishment but there was still a bit of interest in it.

Now for the long slog through all the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Have an offer around 3.3% over asking on our house at the moment and waiting to see if our offer of 2.2% over asking will be accepted by vendors of house we would like to buy. Playing the waiting game today

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

We recently went sale agreed on our home with the sale price within the valuation range of the EA who is selling it for us, we had the banks panel valuer out last week and were updated from our EA today the bank has sought clarification from the valuer, anyone any idea on what this might mean? This means the purchasers still don't have their loan offer so we are at a standstill until this gets resolved.

Slight background is we went sale agreed prior to putting the property on the open market, our EA had recently sold another identical house (albeit lower spec finish) in our estate and asked if we wanted to do a private viewing before we did photos, online add etc. We agreed and were delighted within a week to have 3 offers and agreed a price.

The agreed price is exactly the same amount as the other property in our estate (this one has had contracts exchanged and is about to close in the next 2 weeks however is not on the PPR etc as its so recent).

I am assuming the issue is there are no price comparables in the area as its pretty much all new houses with extremely low transaction turnover up here due to the newness of the area, however was wondering is this something anyone else has encountered and should we be worried or is there other clarifications i'm not considering?

On an aside the valuer was very strange, didn't hesitate to make themselves at home, pulled up a chair sat down and started grilling us on a serious amount of queries which were not relevant to the valuation (I flagged these with my EA who agreed this was very odd, I've worked in mortgages, and this is also not the first property I've sold so know the queries were well outside what they complete in a valuations form) we both got a very strange vibe off the guy and hearing this today makes us wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Jammyd wrote: »
    We recently went sale agreed on our home with the sale price within the valuation range of the EA who is selling it for us, we had the banks panel valuer out last week and were updated from our EA today the bank has sought clarification from the valuer, anyone any idea on what this might mean? This means the purchasers still don't have their loan offer so we are at a standstill until this gets resolved.

Slight background is we went sale agreed prior to putting the property on the open market, our EA had recently sold another identical house (albeit lower spec finish) in our estate and asked if we wanted to do a private viewing before we did photos, online add etc. We agreed and were delighted within a week to have 3 offers and agreed a price.

The agreed price is exactly the same amount as the other property in our estate (this one has had contracts exchanged and is about to close in the next 2 weeks however is not on the PPR etc as its so recent).

I am assuming the issue is there are no price comparables in the area as its pretty much all new houses with extremely low transaction turnover up here due to the newness of the area, however was wondering is this something anyone else has encountered and should we be worried or is there other clarifications i'm not considering?

On an aside the valuer was very strange, didn't hesitate to make themselves at home, pulled up a chair sat down and started grilling us on a serious amount of queries which were not relevant to the valuation (I flagged these with my EA who agreed this was very odd, I've worked in mortgages, and this is also not the first property I've sold so know the queries were well outside what they complete in a valuations form) we both got a very strange vibe off the guy and hearing this today makes us wonder.

Do you know if the valuer was appointed by the bank or by the purchasers?

Possibility obviously there for the valuer to be an associate of the buyers and that's the reason for the extra questions - and could be trying to reduce the sale price

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Vikings wrote: »
    Do you know if the valuer was appointed by the bank or by the purchasers?

Possibility obviously there for the valuer to be an associate of the buyers and that's the reason for the extra questions - and could be trying to reduce the sale price

Yeah it’s a possibility, the valuer did mention they wanted extra pictures requested by the purchasers which we were more than happy for them to take.

It was the purchasers who brought the delay to the EA’s attention saying the last update they had from their broker was the bank sought clarification from the valuer so seemed genuine on their part they weren’t aware of an issue and they said they would follow up, the purchaser also asked for the valuers details to try and push on so I don’t think they necessarily selected them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Anybody here get a mortgage through BOI ? How long was their application with their underwriters ?

Advertisement