Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Sadly, they hired this idiot (the one in the photo) to make Damo and Ivor (yup, Andy Quirke)....
    And that clip aired around 2010, I think. He may have used the 'N' word too, according to broadhseet.ie anyways.

Seems to me

Recently Overrated comedians to admit they aren’t funny due to blackface

Only too right.

I did not know Quirke's connections. Makes his comedy even more shallow. In fairness RTÉ aired that as part of a Prime Time investigation programme, possibly to show up the Quirkes.

Cann't find the Prime Time programme it featured in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

For heavens sake "that was Dr Ebun Joseph lecturer on black studies" on the news at one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

RTE is probably the most divisive entity in the State.
    They stoke any racial embers that may exist in this country and somehow try to convert it into a raging forest fire.
    The hate attack by the gang in Cork of the white teenager is one consequence of RTE's bias. Not allowing society to have a "reasoned" discussion about race relations and migration encourages black gangs to act with impunity.

RTE should be an educator for race relations in Ireland, but instead they act as the instigator of fear and division. Continuing to give air-time to a Nigerian woman who obviously hate most white people in Ireland is reprehensible by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Wilson uses the show to hammer negativity over every section of our community.

Never......never....... definitely never..... goes near anything positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Little Britain did blackface, quite often.

Even after that, Come Fly with Me had a few regular ethnic stereotype + "blackface" characters though I believe the wecome in the UK may have been wearing out for that sort of humour by then!

Wikipedia says it was aired first 2010/11 (which seems amazing to me when I look at it now...)!
    bossdrum wrote: »
    I just enjoyed the advert at the time for being like a cartooon with a catchy tune:D

Yeah, perceptions of these things, how it changes with time etc it is a very interesting subject. I enjoyed that ad too. Doubt most Irish people [at the time] would have seen any problems.
    You need some context/background (from US history/media) to see any issues with it.

I suppose you could think of it like this.

If someone knew nothing about Ireland, history, the Irish people + relationship with the UK etc + saw a funny cartoon with some old "Punch magazine" type stereotypes getting blown up by their own bombs, Wiley Coyote style, they'd propbably think it was a really great laugh but "we" might see it another way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Was watching the Sil Fox interview on Claire Byrne...
    For those who don't know, the judge dismissed the case against Fox. Just mentioning that for background. The case against him largely collapsed based on CCTV.

Anyways, if you'd watched the interview with Claire, there was No sympathy for Fox, by Claire.
    When she said 'You've said "This case has destroyed my life"-Do you really mean that' I yelled at the TV. Of COURSE this wrecked his life. Any false allegation, especially one of rape or murder, will doubtless leave you in bits.

He's in his 80s, the case has left him physically and mentally wrecked. He's stated he's now on anti-depressants since then.
    How the f**k can you treat that like he's some kind of liar?

She was a lot more sympathetic towards Sandy Kelly. While I empathise with Kelly, she probably gets a lot more support than Sil ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sadly, they hired this idiot (the one in the photo) to make Damo and Ivor (yup, Andy Quirke). The 'skit' has been taken down-tho you could probably find it with waybackmachine...

And that clip aired around 2010, I think. He may have used the 'N' word too, according to broadhseet.ie anyways.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/03/11/you-did-see-wesley-quirkes-brother-doing-blackface-on-prime-time-last-night-didnt-you/

The release in to the new wild of that video would cause some embarrassment to the higher uppers in all inclusive champion of the underclass RTE so to speak.

The release in to the new wild of that video would cause some embarrassment to the higher uppers in all inclusive champion of the underclass RTE so to speak.

Oh, this is RTE... the folks who kept Gerry Ryan's 'habit' quiet. I'm sure there's tons of dirt that can be found.

And keep in mind, they showed that video on Prime Time... and THEN hired him afterwards.
    So they knew he was trouble. But he was cheap, daddy paid for all his s**t. Benefits of being a millionaire's kid who dropped out of secondary school after the Junior.

When he had his birthday, it was 'skanger' themed. Guests drank Dutch Gold, and dressed like the people paying for him and his brother's lifestyle (and probably the woman who carried Rosanna's sprog). Wasn't well recieved, still got hired at RTe.

https://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/anger-grows-over-rosannas-party-antics-27950892.html

Niall Horan, Dara O’Briain, Hozier, Soulé, Chris O’Dowd, Jason Byrne, 'Normal People' stars Paul Mescal and Daisy Edgar Jones, Aisling Bea, Andrew Scott, the RTÉ Concert Orchestra, Dustin, Ray D’Arcy, Zig & Zag, Una Healy, Conor McPherson, John Bishop, Oliver Jeffers, The cast of 'Derry Girls', Paths To Freedom, Waterford Whispers News, Anne Doyle, Andrew Maxwell, Ed Byrne, Roisin O, Jimmy Carr, Adam Hills, Mairead Farrell, Brigid & Eamon, Risteard Cooper, Neil Delamere, Brian O’Driscoll, Lenny Abrahamson, Nathan Carter, Paul Howard, Christy Moore, Dawn O’Porter,The 2 Johnnies, and Amy Huberman.

RTÉ’s comic relief

• Advertisement

And keep in mind, they showed that video on Prime Time... and THEN hired him afterwards.
    So they knew he was trouble. But he was cheap, daddy paid for all his s**t. Benefits of being a millionaire's kid who dropped out of secondary school after the Junior.

When he had his birthday, it was 'skanger' themed. Guests drank Dutch Gold, and dressed like the people paying for him and his brother's lifestyle (and probably the woman who carried Rosanna's sprog). Wasn't well recieved, still got hired at RTe.

https://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/anger-grows-over-rosannas-party-antics-27950892.html

I hadn't realised that Damo & Ivor only appear after 2010, I though it was around 2007/2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Elmo wrote: »
    I hadn't realised that Damo & Ivor only appear after 2010, I though it was around 2007/2008.

Nah it just feels like it's stuck in a comedy timewarp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

My wife watching the Samantha Barry program

Hilarious that she went a number of times for a job in rte and they turned her down. Now she is editor in chief of Glamour. Worked in BBC, CNN etc

But RTE hires f**king Lottie Ryan. Seriously that just a says it’s all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

RTE has gone to an new level.

Broadcasting the funeral of George Floyd on RTE news now '' LIVE'' .

That's the straw that broke the camels back for me regards paying for a TV licence again.

RTE can go and fu*k themselves from now on.

mgn wrote: »
    RTE has gone to an new level.

Broadcasting the funeral of George Floyd on RTE news now '' LIVE'' .

That's the straw that broke the camels back for me regards paying for a TV licence again.

RTE can go and fu*k themselves from now on.

Why? Big news story. They possibly got it free or as part of an agreement. News Now is minimalistic at the best of times, either that or a repeat of Six One

Why? Big news story. They possibly got it free or as part of an agreement. News Now is minimalistic at the best of times, either that or a repeat of Six One

Big news story for who, its being on every Radio and TV station 24/7 for the past week.
    Its a complete joke with all this feign concern to take the spotlight of our own problems.

Big news story for who, its being on every Radio and TV station 24/7 for the past week.
    Its a complete joke with all this feign concern to take the spotlight of our own problems.

The RTÉ News Now Channel was never going to spotlight any ones problem, it's a repeat channel at best at worst its a waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Kivaro wrote: »
    RTE is probably the most divisive entity in the State.
    They stoke any racial embers that may exist in this country and somehow try to convert it into a raging forest fire.
    The hate attack by the gang in Cork of the white teenager is one consequence of RTE's bias. Not allowing society to have a "reasoned" discussion about race relations and migration encourages black gangs to act with impunity.

RTE should be an educator for race relations in Ireland, but instead they act as the instigator of fear and division. Continuing to give air-time to a Nigerian woman who obviously hate most white people in Ireland is reprehensible by them.

Do you mean the most divisive media entity in the State?

RTE news made a small boo boo....a member of Floyd family was talking. Clearly a male and they had Floyd sister under the caption

He was doing 'bits' on youtube, round the 2007/ 2008 or before that. IF you go to his 'channel' there are only 4 videos up there... :rolleyes:

I think he got nervous over the s***e he'd been peddling, some of which he's made 'private', I imagine.

I think 'Skanger me banger' was one of the first s***e videos that got him noticed.

I knew a few folks who tried to imitate the production qualities of his videos-most were a lot better too. (Quirke spawned a lot of clones).

Totally Off topic, but where's the social distancing in this post on rte's site?

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0609/1146299-rte-announces-emergency-comic-relief-fundraiser/

• Advertisement

If anyone from outside the country watched TV or listened to the radio in the last week and knew nothing about Ireland,
    The would diffidently not want to visit here with all racist Irish has being peddled by RTE all week.

Instead of promoting the country the run Irish people into the ground, shower of clowns.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    RTE news made a small boo boo....a member of Floyd family was talking. Clearly a male and they had Floyd sister under the caption

At least someone is interested in it so to spot that, enjoy it, and see can you spot an white person in it.

If anyone from outside the country watched TV or listened to the radio in the last week and knew nothing about Ireland,
    The would diffidently not want to visit here with all racist Irish has being peddled by RTE all week.

Instead of promoting the country the run Irish people into the ground, shower of clowns.

Most of what I heard on the subject this week was people (many of them Irish) giving their testimony of personal experience of racism.

Anyone thinking of coming to Ireland would probably be aware of racism in their own country.

Get it right for ourselves and it will be right for visitors.

At least someone is interested in it so to spot that, enjoy it, and see can you spot an white person in it.

Was on 9 o clock news, not watching the actual whole thing :P seriously I have a life.

elperello wrote: »
    Most of what I heard on the subject this week was people (many of them Irish) giving their testimony of personal experience of racism.

Anyone thinking of coming to Ireland would probably be aware of racism in their own country.

Get it right for ourselves and it will be right for visitors.

And what about Ebum Joseph ( and i'm not going to call her ''Dr'' because its an insult to doctors) peddling her racist Irish all week, the might as well give the idiot her own channel.
    Everyday she is trying to stir something up and RTE are giving her free reign to say what she likes.

And what about Ebum Joseph ( and i'm not going to call her ''Dr'' because its an insult to doctors) peddling her racist Irish all week, the might as well give the idiot her own channel.
    Everyday she is trying to stir something up and RTE are giving her free reign to say what she likes.

Is this the woman you are referring to?

https://ie.linkedin.com/in/ebunjoseph

Seems well qualified on the subject to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That module she "teaches" is one she made up and the college accepted
    Her whole life revolves around blacks are always discriminated against by white people regardless (tho she never seems to have found it hard to get work...)

https://twitter.com/EbunJoseph1/status/1212142203813945345

I have a cat that's more qualified than her.

They gave Louise O'Neill her own shows, tons of promotion, lots of interviews etc etc etc based on a 'Rape culture-it's everywhere' platform... she then proceeded to paint about 200 people as rapists based on a non-existent facebook group that 'rated female students'.... which had a massive investigation, and then found nothing.

We're gonna be stuck with Ebum for a while... and then when she doesn't get a show from RTE, she'll cry racism.
    Might even rope LON into that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

They gave Louise O'Neill her own shows, tons of promotion, lots of interviews etc etc etc based on a 'Rape culture-it's everywhere' platform... she then proceeded to paint about 200 people as rapists based on a non-existent facebook group that 'rated female students'.... which had a massive investigation, and then found nothing.

We're gonna be stuck with Ebum for a while... and then when she doesn't get a show from RTE, she'll cry racism.
    Might even rope LON into that too.

What makes you think RTE won't give her her own show?

Advertisement