Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Plus there's elements of it that they ignore-the McCann's using money from the fundraiser to pay their bills. They weren't exactly poor, had decent jobs, that money could have gone to actually paying for the investigation.
    I mean, it's 13 years later-I'd be asking questions about who they actually gave all that money to. Much of the hard work seemed to have been done by government agencies. People who didn't get help from the McCann's.

Plus I've always found that Madeline McCann focus came about in a time when there was a lot of 'subtle' racism in news reports. (If RTE did a story on classroom overcrowding, they'd always cut to shots of children of immigrants, specifically any non-white child. It had a very ugly undercurrent). Madeline was a white, photogenic child.
    So the media ate that story up.

In 2009, a 6 year old African American child named Adjir Desir disappeared in Florida. Two years after Madeline McCann. A year after President Obama was elected, when 'racism was over'. He's still missing.

For most people, that's probably the first time they heard of Adjir.

Maybe discuss it on the McCann thread, not the RTE one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ligerdub wrote: »
    Not only that it's a nonsense story and they know it.

It was 5 mins at the end of the show. It wasn't a special on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Brendan Grace LLS tribute on once again. A joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

You can say that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Lot's of them and songs too. Brendan Grace legend and gentleman.
    sligojoek wrote: »
    You can say that again.

I see what you did there :)

elperello wrote: »
    Lot's of them and songs too. Brendan Grace legend and gentleman.

I see what you did there :)

What is your hard on for RTE all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Good auld RTE this morning comparing Direct Provision centres in Ireland to the Black Lives Matters situation in America.

I have a recommendation if they are so committed to the "cause".
    Put Dr. Ebun Joseph on the RTE board of directors.
    Let's have diversity on the board. RTE should lead by example.
    Ebun describes herself as an "anti-racist campaigner". Others may know her as the Nigerian Ribena lady who sees racism everywhere in Ireland ..... even in a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Kivaro wrote: »
    Good auld RTE this morning comparing Direct Provision centres in Ireland to the Black Lives Matters situation in America.

Ebun describes herself as an "anti-racist campaigner". Others may know her as the Nigerian Ribena lady who sees racism everywhere in Ireland ..... even in a drink.

If she'd said Kia Ora was racist, I might agree. Because it's been that way since it's inception. Including an advert that was aired in the 1980s/ 1990s that was rather....questionable.

I did read up on the ribena incident... that is absolutely ridiculous claim to make. Could even have gotten that incident sorted on the day, but braying on twitter seemed easier.

Man-whatever happened to to people speaking, face to face, with people they have issues with? Straight to twitter instead of confronting the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Kivaro wrote: »

she's going to really further herself after that ribena incident isnt she...like bailey with swing gate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TBH I don't care who's on the Board of RTÉ as long as they do their job. The introduction of gender quotas has not helped the Board of RTÉ. (Since 2009) So I really don't think that more diversity on the board will make it do a better job, other then to seem as if they are diverse.

Elmo wrote: »
    TBH I don't care who's on the Board of RTÉ as long as they do their job. The introduction of gender quotas has not helped the Board of RTÉ. (Since 2009) So I really don't think that more diversity on the board will make it do a better job, other then to seem as if they are diverse.

Plus RTE don't have much success when they push for diversity, or do 'all female' shows.
    (Whatever the reason-it's just a bizarre curse RTE have. Xpose wouldnt' have lasted 13 episodes if RTE tried it-never mind 13 years on VM1).

For Irish television, 'diversity' usually means 'one gaelgeor, one English speaker'.

The media over here is pretty slack for hiring any new talent- unless you're connected- so getting any non-white faces on TV is gonna be a LONNNGggg fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Veering off the race issue for a second, was watching the news last night and seen an old friend of rte on it again about shops opening.

More free advertising for Louis Copeland.

Why is it always him? He must have mates in rte as he always gets air time.

Couldn't be some other struggling shop owner, had to be this faux 'celeb.

Plus RTE don't have much success when they push for diversity, or do 'all female' shows.
    (Whatever the reason-it's just a bizarre curse RTE have. Xpose wouldnt' have lasted 13 episodes if RTE tried it-never mind 13 years on VM1).

Seriously if RTÉ have produced Xpose we'd all being giving out. Firstly, as an women only show it is about fashion, entertainment and not much else this if RTÉ had produced it would have accused of stereotyping women's interestest.

On the other hand over the last 20 years RTÉ have produced a huge number of female news and sports anchors.

A report by the BAI into the media interests of immigrants in Ireland showed that most interviewed said that Irish TV was more American and British and not very Irish, they all seemed to enjoy FM104's Strawberry Alarm Clock also!

Basically getting anyone from Ireland or living in Ireland on Irish TV is difficult. Indeed all the praise that Normal People was give failed to point out how white the series was and how the Actress playing an Irish girl was actually English because we've no talent living in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bossdrum

If she'd said Kia Ora was racist, I might agree. Because it's been that way since it's inception. Including an advert that was aired in the 1980s/ 1990s that was rather....questionable.

What exactly was questionable about it?
    If it was a white character leading the parade would that be any different or am I totally missing something in the advert?

bossdrum wrote: »
    What exactly was questionable about it?
    If it was a white character leading the parade would that be any different or am I totally missing something in the advert?

The Crows are made up of black stereotypes-from the 'mammy/ aunt jemima caricature' to the basketball player.

That and the phrase 'Kia Ora'-it's a Maori greeting, but people of Maori descent were legally not allowed used to phrase (as well as other words) because of the government sanctioned racism when the drink was created in 1903. But if you were white, you could use the phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bossdrum

The Crows are made up of black stereotypes-from the 'mammy/ aunt jemima caricature' to the basketball player.

That and the phrase 'Kia Ora'-it's a Maori greeting, but people of Maori descent were legally not allowed used to phrase (as well as other words) because of the government sanctioned racism when the drink was created in 1903. But if you were white, you could use the phrase.

Fair enough if that is your interpretation of the advert.
    I had never heard of Aunt Jemima until now and embarrassingly my knowledge of the Maori history isn't very good.
    I just enjoyed the advert at the time for being like a cartooon with a catchy tune:D

bossdrum wrote: »
    Fair enough if that is your interpretation of the advert.
    I had never heard of Aunt Jemima until now and embarrassingly my knowledge of the Maori history isn't very good.
    I just enjoyed the advert at the time for being like a cartooon with a catchy tune:D

Oh you can still enjoy it- I personally really like the animation. (I'm a sucker for hand drawn animation done well).

But it kind of highlights how Britain and even Ireland were kind of ignorant of racism in media.
    I mean black face was being used in UK media until the 2000s-and nobody batted an eyelid, bizarrely.
    Seriously if RTÉ have produced Xpose we'd all being giving out. Firstly, as an women only show it is about fashion, entertainment and not much else this if RTÉ had produced it would have accused of stereotyping women's interestest.

My point was more, that if RTE made it, we'd have heard stories of sniping, catfights and whole lots of awful stuff going on behind the scenes. (As has happened with too many RTE shows).

Meanwhile, in the 13 years the show was on, there were very little stories of disagreement.
    A report by the BAI into the media interests of immigrants in Ireland showed that most interviewed said that Irish TV was more American and British and not very Irish, they all seemed to enjoy FM104's Strawberry Alarm Clock also!

Basically getting anyone from Ireland or living in Ireland on Irish TV is difficult. Indeed all the praise that Normal People was give failed to point out how white the series was and how the Actress playing an Irish girl was actually English because we've no talent living in Ireland.

Interesting-I know they gave him an 'Asian' girlfriend (I've not watched it, I just know. I also don't know where her character is meant to hail from), played by the real life daughter of Ciaran Hinds.
    As for the lack of talent... well, they're all booked on better shows that are produced in the UK.
    Derry Girls,Normal People, and Young Offenders, to name a few. (And Young Offenders gets some rattling from the media, yet has a more diverse cast than other shows).
    Even Amy Huberman's show was criticized for it's lack of diversity.

But I agree, the calibre of actors in Ireland are rather poor.

As for the lack of talent... well, they're all booked on better shows that are produced in the UK.

But I agree, the calibre of actors in Ireland are rather poor.

I don’t think there is a lack of talent in Ireland, there’s a lack of locally produced Irish drama & comedy content. Very hard to be diverse when your not producing anything. Almost all Irish actors have to relocate to London. This is regardless of race.

As for Xposé it like most TV3/Virgin Media content is produced purely as tokenism and regulatory rules towards Irish content. You never hear anything bad about TV3/Virgin Media in the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Interesting-I know they gave him an 'Asian' girlfriend (I've not watched it, I just know. I also don't know where her character is meant to hail from), played by the real life daughter of Ciaran Hinds.

she's 1/4 vietnamese, her mother is Helene Patarot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

It was weird, because how many Irish people in the 80s/90s even knew these stereotypes?

goose2005 wrote: »
    It was weird, because how many Irish people in the 80s/90s even knew these stereotypes?

Mike Murphy and Twink were doing blackface around that time, so probably not many.

Mike Murphy and Twink were doing blackface around that time, so probably not many.

Think twink was possibly doing it in the early 1980’s I don’t think anyone was going it past 1990, could be wrong but I don’t think mike ever blackfaced.

I am always surprised at people who seemed to think it was “okay” in the early 2000s to blackface, even in the 1990s, you might forgive the late 1980s.

One good thing is that Keith lemon has been forced to admit he isn’t funny and never was.

This link shows the membership of the board of RTE.
    There is information about the qualifications of each member.
    There is no vacancy until the end of 2022.

https://about.rte.ie/inside-rte/rte-board/

Think twink was possibly doing it in the early 1980’s I don’t think anyone was going it past 1990, could be wrong but I don’t think mike ever blackfaced.

I am always surprised at people who seemed to think it was “okay” in the early 2000s to blackface, even in the 1990s, you might forgive the late 1980s.

One good thing is that Keith lemon has been forced to admit he isn’t funny and never was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnZePct7v-I

Twink in 1982. I suppose in fairness it was 38 years ago.
    I couldn't find Mike Murphy doing blackface but the above was on the Live Mike show.

Ant and Dec did blackface, two or three times, one as Jamaican Emmerdale fans, then as two black rappers. They also did Yellowface. Both in the 2000s.

Little Britain did blackface, quite often.

As did Jon Culshaw (case in point-skip to the 1.30 minute mark).

I remember on one of Gerry Ryan's 'Top 30 shows' that he showed clips of twink and Mike wearing it. Mike was playing some Cuban/ black fellow while smoking a cigar. Just pointing it out as 'the times'. Tho pretty much everyone agreed, they were all horribly unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I just can't understand why RTE don't let one of their many black reporters, report on the direct provisions situation and the 'black lives matter' protests.

And in a similar vein, why aren't the RTE reporters from the traveller community the ones that get to report on TC issues?

Can't get my head around it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    I just can't understand why RTE don't let one of their many black reporters, report on the direct provisions situation and the 'black lives matter' protests.

And in a similar vein, why aren't the RTE reporters from the traveller community the ones that get to report on TC issues?

Can't get my head around it at all.

Because they may not be impartial.

Ant and Dec did blackface, two or three times, one as Jamaican Emmerdale fans, then as two black rappers. They also did Yellowface. Both in the 2000s.

Little Britain did blackface, quite often.

As did Jon Culshaw (case in point-skip to the 1.30 minute mark).

I remember on one of Gerry Ryan's 'Top 30 shows' that he showed clips of twink and Mike wearing it. Mike was playing some Cuban/ black fellow while smoking a cigar. Just pointing it out as 'the times'. Tho pretty much everyone agreed, they were all horribly unfunny.

Well lucky for us RTÉ don’t make much TV, and never did, so we’re lucky blackface on Irish TV didn’t continue passed the 1980s !!!!

• Advertisement

Well lucky for us RTÉ don’t make much TV, and never did, so we’re lucky blackface on Irish TV didn’t continue passed the 1980s !!!!

wes.jpeg

Sadly, they hired this idiot (the one in the photo) to make Damo and Ivor (yup, Andy Quirke). The 'skit' has been taken down-tho you could probably find it with waybackmachine...

And that clip aired around 2010, I think. He may have used the 'N' word too, according to broadhseet.ie anyways.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/03/11/you-did-see-wesley-quirkes-brother-doing-blackface-on-prime-time-last-night-didnt-you/

Advertisement