Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

big_drive wrote: »
    Obviously nobody knows for certain but my own opinion is golf courses will be fully shut within a couple of weeks. And id agree with it
    Bit of short term pain and boredom and things might be bad with many deaths but hopefully not lengthy in terms of hobbies etc being effected, maybe less than 6 months stoppage
    Continue as is and I’d say things could cease for months if not a full year with thousands of deaths

I think your right. Give it a week and everything will be closed.. Ive just finished paying my sub as well:(
    Lads and ladies sneaking out on courses to hit a few balls...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Glebee wrote: »
    I think your right. Give it a week and everything will be closed.. Ive just finished paying my sub as well:(
    Lads and ladies sneaking out on courses to hit a few balls...

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,202 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

What about the flag? 1 person touches that then that theory is gone. Taking a ball out of the hole is the same
    Hard surface to hard surface transfer is practically nil. Especially since it's not prolonged contact. You're far more in danger of transfer doing your shopping in a supermarket unless you wear gloves.

If you're that concerned about what your golf ball is touching, bring a bleach solution soaked cloth with you (or a spray) and give it the once over before your pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Hard surface to hard surface transfer is practically nil. Especially since it's not prolonged contact. You're far more in danger of transfer doing your shopping in a supermarket unless you wear gloves.

If you're that concerned about what your golf ball is touching, bring a bleach solution soaked cloth with you (or a spray) and give it the once over before your pick it up.

I love great thinking - it pains me to say this.

But the next possible step is a big one. Full control of movement of people.

Hard for us to even think of that. But look how the week has gone.

I'm just heading to play golf is not going to get any pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

Next step is going to be all unnecessary activities suspended. Unfortunatly golf is going to fall into this. Get your fill over the next few days....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Some people still don’t get it unfortunately KR.
    We are taking a mature and responsible approach to the situation. We value our members and guests and want them all to be in a position to return when this is all over.
    Our society will face huge challenges over the coming months. We have already failed the initial test looking at Cheltenham and the attitudes towards social distancing in pubs. This selfishness is the reason our country is heading towards lockdown.
    Everything we do in life carries a certain degree of risk. However when people’s behaviour unnecessarily places others at risk decisions have to be made. We have decided to minimise the risk for all members and staff by taking responsible action.
    Golf is one of the safest activities we can engage in if we take reasonable precautions. We do appear, however, to be heading rapidly towards a situation where we will have little or no social engagement.
    There will probably come a point in time where our staff will no longer be allowed into work and courses will rapidly fall into a state of disrepair. If as a society we start behaving in a more responsible manner hopefully we can avoid some of the worst case scenarios.
    Totally agree and its the irresponsible people who will mean that more restrictive practices will come in a lot earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

kieran. wrote: »
    Played today casual round only thing touched was the boot of my car, my clubs, trolley and ball. Social distance observed at all times regular 4 ball.

Probelm is if someone with snotty nose touched the flag before you or the rake in the bunker or the nice prov v you found in the rough, going to be a spanish style lockdown shortly which will shut the clubs for a while unfortunatly.

londonred wrote: »
    Probelm is if someone with snotty nose touched the flag before you or the rake in the bunker or the nice prov v you found in the rough, going to be a spanish style lockdown shortly which will shut the clubs for a while unfortunatly.
    You can leave the pin in now.

And don't touch your face if you haven't washed your hands properly after touching something you're not sure about. As I pointed out above, do you wear gloves when you're shopping? Because there are a lot more people there handling the produce you just put in your trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Totally agree and its the irresponsible people who will mean that more restrictive practices will come in a lot earlier.

That's coming from 2 clubmates on committee who's jobs will pay them regardless of what happens, no worries there folks. Easy to be PC in that position

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    That's coming from 2 clubmates on committee who's jobs will pay them regardless of what happens, no worries there folks. Easy to be PC in that position

A very interesting interpretation of the precautions we are taking. Not your finest moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sylvanb

email from club last night - pins and rakes to be removed for the time being. No competition just casual golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

sylvanb wrote: »
    email from club last night - pins and rakes to be removed for the time being. No competition just casual golf.

Same as my club. They'll be shuttering the clubhouse/bar too, but leaving the course open, for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Same as my club. They'll be shuttering the clubhouse/bar too, but leaving the course open, for now.

What clubs are they? A good decision really with all things considered. My club has closed the bar and restaurant but I think competitive golf will be stopped soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

What will happen the staff in your golf clubs? More importantly, Will the Greenkeeping staff be allowed on on siteto maintain the course whilst it is closed?

What will happen the staff in your golf clubs? More importantly, Will the Greenkeeping staff be allowed on on site to maintain the course whilst it is closed?
    Assuming they observe social distancing, wear gloves and wipe down all contact surfaces with a bleach or alcohol solution, the nature of the job means that they are generally working alone anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Totally get the rake removal but I would just say bunkers out of play and leave it at that.
    Don't get removal of the pin, where will you be hitting to, much easier to say leave the pin in at all times.
    No handling of flagpole and no handling of rake with pins permanently in and bunkers out of play.

What's the bets the courses will close and the weather will be gorgeous

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

all competitions cancelled in club.
    clubhouse closed, pro shop closed.
    Air hose disconnected for cleaning shoes etc.

Casual golf from now on, no visitors, no green fees.
    Leave flag in at all times & Rakes removed from bunkers.

regarding bunkers - why not leave in play and have placing in bunkers. grand for casual golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

Our course is closed.

The committee had cancelled competitions and reduced play to casual golf. However the resort management followed up earlier today with the closure of the hotel and all facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭big_drive

All courses should be closed I think. Stricter things are the quicker things could be sorted

All courses should be closed I think. Stricter things are the quicker things could be sorted
    All golf courses in The Netherlands are closed. Though I think they are mostly public courses there. Open to correction on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Our clubhouse shutdown today to protect staff which I 110% agree with.

Divot bags removed, bunkers taken out of play and rakes removed and pins removed with holes cut in middle of green for moment and will be moved every few days.

The issue with the pin is getting the ball out of the hole, you then touch flag and cup.

Casual golf from now onwards.

Please god this ends quickly.

all competitions cancelled in club.
    clubhouse closed, pro shop closed.
    Air hose disconnected for cleaning shoes etc.

Casual golf from now on, no visitors, no green fees.
    Leave flag in at all times & Rakes removed from bunkers.

regarding bunkers - why not leave in play and have placing in bunkers. grand for casual golf.

I think it is becoming increasingly likely (as painful as it is) - that all golf will be stopped.

Above would be a great result.

But, I was watching younger kids, and even adults playing - there is no way they were maintaining 2 meters of social distancing at all times.

The risks (IMO) are very low, but in 4 balls for example , as you get closer to the holes and tee boxes , social distancing will be impossible - and people in general are just too casual to do what the government are instructing us to do.

Your are in the open air to start.

There is another difficult reality - that people are outside looking in. The whole world is stopped all sports are stopped - what are they up to with their golf getting together as a group.

It is just human nature.

I'd love to see casual golf staying - but casual golf with no staff is not a great set up either.

Sad and hard days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Its understandable, people are frightened. So I guess they latch onto anything that gives them some resemblance of control or even the idea that someone is. So I fear the calls for lockdown will not stop until they got everyone including the golf, even if it makes little sense.

The worrying thing is that no one has any idea how long this is supposed to last for. In two weeks time, four weeks time, what will have changed? We'll be in the exact same position we are in today.
    For now they seem to have that notion that they somehow can control the pace at which this virus goes through the population so not to overstrain the health service. But since the health service was running over capacity all along that would take a while even of it was to succeed I think. I don't know. Boring times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Some perspective needed here folks, golf will be the least of our worries of this gets a grip in Ireland which it appears to be doing. Worrying times ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Advice from our place is that competitions will continue for the time being, no computer, bunkers out of play, pin to be left in at all times and ball tone removed from hole with gloved hand only.

Only pro shop open, rest of club locked up, restrictions on time and numbers in pro shop - probably better to follow the casual golf only imo

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This isn't a thing that's going to be over. Pretty much everyone is going to get it. These measures are just to slow down the infection rate so that health care facilities are not overrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ProV

On a Lighter note: It reminds me of a Flyer the committee Circa 20 years ago posted on the Notice board, " As chemicals have been sprayed on the greens today please Do not lick your balls"......
    & some smart arse wrote underneath
    " if I could lick my balls I wouldn't be up here playing Golf"
    How times have changed !

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

No Juniors allowed near the course until 29th of March (likely to increase)

Play with pins in

no handshakes

rakes removed / no sand bags

no logging into computer for competitions

1 person per buggy (1/2 price)

Bar / Restaurant closed

maintain recommended distance when playing

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

Casual golf to be booked in groups 20 mins apart, booked via BRS.

Comp at weekend cancelled. Potential 3 man team with greater time between starts to be confirmed.

On course: Flag left in at all times, no rakes, no sand bags, no air blowers at end, no handshakes, no congregation at 1st teet/putting area, 2m distance to be kept when on course. Will be reviewed if deemed not being adhered to by committee.

Bar and restaurant closed until 30th. Pro shop still open but members asked to have exact change and not use computer.

• Advertisement

Casual golf to be booked in groups 20 mins apart, booked via BRS.

Comp at weekend cancelled. Potential 3 man team with greater time between starts to be confirmed.

On course: Flag left in at all times, no rakes, no sand bags, no air blowers at end, no handshakes, no congregation at 1st teet/putting area, 2m distance to be kept when on course. Will be reviewed if deemed not being adhered to by committee.

Bar and restaurant closed until 30th. Pro shop still open but members asked to have exact change and not use computer.

Fantastic effort.

Was watching people at club , at start they just didn't get the 2 meters , even a day ago .

Elbow tapping
    Talking very close to each others

Kids on course daft too, so good call.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement