Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Jack Carty in his "tackle my feelings" interview specifically mentioned coming here back in the day. To see what people thought of him. Always good to remember the players are that close.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

errlloyd wrote: »
    Jack Carty in his "tackle my feelings" interview specifically mentioned coming here back in the day. To see what people thought of him. Always good to remember the players are that close.

Here's the video if anyone hasn't seen it yet

https://twitter.com/RugbyPlayersIRE/status/1242768071007383552?s=19

Jack Carty > Buer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jack Carty > Buer

You're just looking at things in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

If anyone is interested the latest 'House of Rugby' podcast is a good listen. Discussing the possible future of Rugby Post Covid 19. Omit the first 25 minutes, its just filler.
    They make some good points but unfortunately we need real leadership to move the game forward. I don't know where that leadership is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I really hope they are looking at the idea of a global rugby calendar. Alex Payne was dead right. There is too much rugby being played for the sake of it. This is the perfect opportunity to start afresh. I’m not entirely sure how they’d go about it making everyone happy however!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I really hope they are looking at the idea of a global rugby calendar. Alex Payne was dead right. There is too much rugby being played for the sake of it. This is the perfect opportunity to start afresh. I’m not entirely sure how they’d go about it making everyone happy however!

Agree, there is a chance for a reset...for lots of sports, not just rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

global calender would be of some help but what rugby do you cut if you think theres too much?
    Provinces play between 25 and 30 and international play 11 or 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

global calender would be of some help but what rugby do you cut if you think theres too much?
    Provinces play between 25 and 30 and international play 11 or 12.

It'll never happen because money but for starters the additional derbies in the pro14 could go since they're totally imbalanced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Bazzo wrote: »
    It'll never happen because money but for starters the additional derbies in the pro14 could go since they're totally imbalanced

Why? they are the big money earners!!! without the revenue from these match's the provinces would struggle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Following up on their last podcast, they have released another one with Benjamin Kaser. Would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Daily mail today has an article about the summer tour next to get the axe.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Following up on their last podcast, they have released another one with Benjamin Kaser. Would highly recommend.

Very good interview, but to be honest listened to see if they would follow up on the discussion of restructuring world rugby Including a possible B and I League, but they didn’t seem to mention it

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Daily mail today has an article about the summer tour next to get the axe.

It's almost inevitable. I can't see there being much international travel anytime soon.

I think we will just see this season completely scrapped. Maybe the IRFU can organise an Inter Pro series in July or August to get a few quid in, but even that will likely be behind closed doors, or at least with restricted crowds.

I'm not convinced next season will start with full houses anyway...I suppose the Welsh regions will be able to carry as normal...😄

• Registered Users Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Rugby Pass is free to sign up to until April 30th. With no live rugby, they're offering free access to watch old games until rugby starts up again and they'll boot you out without any risk of you forgetting to cancel your sub. Well worth it and a really great gesture.
    We appreciate life without live rugby just isn’t as good. So, we’re writing to let you know that you can now sign up to our monthly subscription for FREE until 30th April 2020.

Without live matches, you can still access full game replays on-demand from major tournaments along with great shows and documentaries exclusively available with our memberships. So, before you ask if you’re getting value from your subscription, you won't need to as we won't be taking any payments from you. You do not need to enter your payment details, simply create an account, or login with a previous account, and away you go.

We will keep you updated via email, our social channels (Facebook, Instagram & Twitter) and RugbyPass.com every step of the way as we all wait for live rugby to resume. Once live rugby and our monthly payments resume, your access will be revoked and you'll need to sign up again to enjoy all the action. So click below, choose the monthly pass, and get watching!

*Note: This offer is only available on www.rugbypass.com/signup, not via our mobile app.

RA lost 10m last year

No test rugby this year will mean losing upto 7/8 times that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Rugby Pass is free to sign up to until April 30th. With no live rugby, they're offering free access to watch old games until rugby starts up again and they'll boot you out without any risk of you forgetting to cancel your sub. Well worth it and a really great gesture.

Is this working for anyone? Sign-up doesn't seem to do anything

Is this working for anyone? Sign-up doesn't seem to do anything

I presume you still need to use a VPN . Rugby pass only available in Asia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

KevinK wrote: »
    I presume you still need to use a VPN . Rugby pass only available in Asia

Ah, it makes sense now

RA lost 10m last year

The peace process has proved a financial burden for them...

• Advertisement

FYI I found them fairly difficult to cancel with before. They required an email discourse before cancelling for me, asking me personally why I was cancelling then never confirming if they did. Sounds promising that they'll boot you out automatically this time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

bilston wrote: »
    The peace process has proved a financial burden for them...

Banks going paperless was the real gut punch

Mike Friday did a House of Rugby episode a while back discussing the way USA Rugby was running, it sounded like an absolute shítshow. They were splashing out on huge match fees to bring teams over to the US under their events company and then transferring the losses back to the main company. The 7s team were being paid minimum wage. They were on the brink of bankruptcy in 2018 and then posted a big loss last year too.

It sounds like the setup needed a huge overhaul and to scrap/separate the events side of things from the union itself.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Mike Friday did a House of Rugby episode a while back discussing the way USA Rugby was running, it sounded like an absolute shítshow. They were splashing out on huge match fees to bring teams over to the US under their events company and then transferring the losses back to the main company. The 7s team were being paid minimum wage. They were on the brink of bankruptcy in 2018 and then posted a big loss last year too.

It sounds like the setup needed a huge overhaul and to scrap/separate the events side of things from the union itself.

Is USA Rugby separate to the newly formed Pro League?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Is USA Rugby separate to the newly formed Pro League?

Major League Rugby is similar to the Premiership in that it's owned by the clubs/private investors and just sanctioned by USA Rugby, they don't have any stake in it I believe

IRFU land deal a year or so ago could be crucial when you see this

https://twitter.com/ChristypDoran/status/1244874106685673472?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The anticipated loss of the summer tests must be a massive financial hit to them.

Buer wrote: »
    The anticipated loss of the summer tests must be a massive financial hit to them.

I was thinking about this earlier, the general consensus seems to be if we are lucky enough to be able to have rugby of some sort by May/June that the Pro 14 & Chamoions cup would be concluded in some fashion and that the 6 nations will be completed in October. However in all this the June/July internationals seem to be forgotten as they have no promotion/relegation/title/qualification ramifications and as such they seem an easy thing not to run. However the Southern Hemisphere unions are probably highly dependent on these annual fixtures. Who are we to insist the 6 nations must be finished at all costs due to the finances involved yet these fixtures can be forgotten about!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Pretty insignificant at the moment, but there's implications for the Rugby World Cup draw as well. Would seem almost impossible to fit in all the scheduled Internationals between now and end of November, so likely to be less movement between the bands?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement