Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Erm... u wot mate?

I suppose he meant 'until the outcome of the trial...whichever it was.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Gotcha. Either way, I don't think they had it easy at any stage, and it was Christmas for Southern media who had never been able to name Southern celebs accused of this sort of thing, but could now go to town on celebs their readerships would have heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Ah come on, of course he doesn't think that.
    Clearly. But it was open to interpretation that way. Which is the point I was making. As was Paul (I assume).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Clearly. But it was open to interpretation that way. Which is the point I was making. As was Paul (I assume).

I actually think that the sentence was defendable both ways.

In the first it was framed in tense. In the second it avoided using definitive article in order to make clear that I was not referring to "the" trial.

That said I did a poor job of articulating it. However I thought the context of the original post would help. The idea was to contrast "cancelled culture" for Al Porter (which had a very low burden proof) to cancelled culture with the rugby players (that for at least some people had a very high burden of proof).

Ah listen, we now know what you meant. That's all that matters.

I don't think I would agree with the actual thrust of your argument on Jackson and Olding, though. And I say this as someone who is not one of their "our boys" cheerleaders. I think they're an excellent example of when the social media backlash is about a wider issue, and they got caught in a storm that was only partially about their actual case. We saw people with placards reading "REPEAL THE 8TH" and body autonomy slogans protesting at their court case. Why organise a protest against two men, who are being prosecuted for rape in one state, with a placard advocating a change in laws around abortion in another state? Because they were actually at the centre of a perfect storm in gender politics on this island.

#SuemePaddy was about mob mentality. I very much doubt anyone could be sued for #ibelieveher, but people were tweeting about how he and Olding had got away with it, and they were guilty - stuff they actually could have been sued for. They weren't obviously, because of the time-consuming hot legal mess that would result, when Jackson, after a bit of sober reflection, obviously just wanted to try and put it behind him and move on. But there's no question that he was defamed by many people without any consequence.

And that's social media for you.

• Advertisement

I agree that juries might not be the best way to resolve sex crime cases as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭The Parish King

I thought it was incredibly raw at times - from both Haskell and SOB. I legit thought SOB was going to get upset once or twice.

Following on from this, Danny Cipriani has released a video on Instagram in the wake of Caroline Flack’s death (a close friend and former girlfriend).

Very raw and he shows immense vulnerability as he discusses some of his darker moments.

I truly applaud him for it, I hope his message helps others who have found or feel themselves in similar situations and that it will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Following on from this, Danny Cipriani has released a video on Instagram in the wake of Caroline Flack’s death (a close friend and former girlfriend).

Very raw and he shows immense vulnerability as he discusses some of his darker moments.

I truly applaud him for it, I hope his message helps others who have found or feel themselves in similar situations and that it will get better.

Very heavy video. Speaks about how the media made an example of him (and doesn't blame them for it), The Sun ringing his agent to tell them they were going to publish a story about him attempting to buy a gun (which he says was to end his life) and his therapist intervening, as well as the anger and pain he felt about his childhood being mixed race and his father leaving.

You have to give him credit for it, it's an incredibly vunerable video to put out there, you can see how much her death has affected him and aroused a lot of feelings/experiences that he would have tried to put in his past.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,057 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Wasps beating saracens 31-0 in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

55-5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Bridge93 wrote: »
    55-5

Christ. Checked their starting team earlier. Wasn't anything too poor. Barrington, Koch, Isiekwe, Goode, Barritt, Taylor, Wray....

Not sure what they can do. Lads have mentally checked out completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Christ. Checked their starting team earlier. Wasn't anything too poor. Barrington, Koch, Isiekwe, Goode, Barritt, Taylor, Wray....

Not sure what they can do. Lads have mentally checked out completely.

If any of them have future contracts signed elsewhere, I doubt they are smashing into any rucks in a Saracens shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Finished 60-10. Massive win for Wasps given the week they've had with Dai being sacked, but Sarries players have phoned it in for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Sort of relevant here. I guess it's relevant everywhere. Danny cip after putting up a very honest appraisal of his mental health issues. I was quite moved by it tbh. It takes balls to publish such personal information about yourself. Imagine telling everyone about your biggest shame? Not many people would. If it saves a life it's all worth it. Fair play.

And now let's hope we beat England into submission

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It'll be a different Saracens side that takes to the field against Leinster. They'll have the test players back and the quality will go up. But it's pretty clear now that morale is on the floor amongst the squad in general.

You can say that some of these lads might be saving themselves for the Champions Cup game as they've nothing to play for in the league. But it's not that easy to switch back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Clegg wrote: »
    It'll be a different Saracens side that takes to the field against Leinster. They'll have the test players back and the quality will go up. But it's pretty clear now that morale is on the floor amongst the squad in general.

You can say that some of these lads might be saving themselves for the Champions Cup game as they've nothing to play for in the league. But it's not that easy to switch back on.

Exactly. And if England struggle any more in the 6Ns the international lads wont be bringing much confidence or momentum into the setup. Let's hope we do the business on Sunday all the more. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

You really can't switch it on. The club captain was on the field tonight along with a handful of guys who will be in the 23 in Dublin. These will be the guys who will be training and preparing with the first choice guys in match week.

I can't see them winning in Dublin now barring a major upset.

In other news, hassle-Collins scores all London Irish 's four tries as the beat glaws 24-20

Speaking of Twitter and @ ing at players, this exchange was brilliant. :D

ERjA62KX0AA1eEi?format=jpg&name=900x900

Rhys Webb has joined Bath for the remainder of the season.

• Advertisement

Rhys Webb has joined Bath for the remainder of the season.
    And Liam Williams has left Saracens for Scarlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Some crowd there. And not a ruck formed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Quite often get the feeling rugby was more skilful and a better spectacle in the 90s with more emphasis on running for gaps and offloading. Was watching a game between France and SA from 94 and it was like a different sport. The speed of the games was striking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

clsmooth wrote: »
    Quite often get the feeling rugby was more skilful and a better spectacle in the 90s with more emphasis on running for gaps and offloading. Was watching a game between France and SA from 94 and it was like a different sport. The speed of the games was striking

There was always more emphasis on attack rather than defence for me. Big difference.

The biggest criticism I hear of players these days is they can’t defend? It’s like way more important than attacking skills. Rugby league defence systems and coaching has transformed rugby union, just not as much space these days and less exciting to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Tonga are set to not receive a single penny from their autumn game at Twickenham. How is that allowed?

There are also 8 15-16 year olds from Tonga heading to Japan for education and rugby.

The islands will continue to slip into obscurity and the arms of rugby league this way

Zebo back on the bench today for racing

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the point in a rest week when lads who have played 3 international matches in 3 weeks are starting for their clubs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Zebo back on the bench today for racing

I hope that bench is reinforced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement