Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio Station pulls "Baby it's cold outside" due to the #MeToo movement

• 01-12-2018 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

A Cleveland radio station says it has stopped playing the classic Christmas song “Baby It’s Cold Outside” because of the #MeToo movement.
    CLEVELAND, Ohio (KDKA/CBS Local) — A Cleveland radio station says it has stopped playing the classic holiday song “Baby It’s Cold Outside” because of the #MeToo movement.

Star 102.1 posted on their website that listeners complained that the song’s lyrics are inappropriate so the station says they made a decision to stop playing the song.

Radio host Glenn Anderson wrote that about the station’s decision to pull the song.

“The world we live in is extra sensitive now, and people get easily offended, but in a world where #MeToo has finally given women the voice they deserve, the song has no place,” Anderson wrote.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/11/30/radio-station-pulls-baby-its-cold-outside-after-complaints-following-metoo-movement/

It was written back in 1944, a different time of course in the midst of the second world war.

I'm not a fan of the song, the lyrics are a bit rapey and could be construed as offensive, but its still a bit harsh to ban it IMO.

I suspect we will be seeing a lot of songs and films from the 20th century continue to get a #MeToo reckoning. Anything pre 2000 is in dangerous terrority.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Unleash the After Hours outrage kraken!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They should replace it with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

These people would want to **** off and get a ride.

it was written by a married couple

but lookit, this is an annual controversy by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

8688e146d834bdbb9285d02d1b67ce73.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Oh ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

A Cleveland radio station says it has stopped playing the classic Christmas song “Baby It’s Cold Outside” because of the #MeToo movement.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/11/30/radio-station-pulls-baby-its-cold-outside-after-complaints-following-metoo-movement/

It was written back in 1944, a different time of course in the midst of the second world war.

I'm not a fan of the song,the lyrics are a bit rapey[\b]and could be construed as offensive, but its still a bit harsh to ban it IMO.

I suspect we will be seeing a lot of songs and films from the 20th century continue to get a #MeToo reckoning. Anything pre 2000 is in dangerous terrority.

They're not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭thomil

Good.

Not because of the lyrics, but it's just a godawful song!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Is there anything in the world people are not offended by now.

It's new thing everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Radio station makes a move to drive traffic to their website and station after stirring up their own controversy.

They're just exploiting peoples outrage now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I always thought it was a bit creepy.

tenor.gif

It's new thing everyday.

Seems that way sometimes. More and more people feel the need in the real world - whatever about online - to let me know they are offended by stuff.

Things I teach my kids - letting my daughter dress up as Moana at Halloween - letting my son play with dolls - not doing Santa Claus or church at Xmas - the music I listen to - hell even some old woman came up to me once in the park to tell me how I was playing with my children was "wrong".

Seems like offense is a badge of honor these days - but it seems to me like it can only be so long before the suicidal stupidity of identity politics and offense has to implode. So I just quietly wait for it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

This is nothing to do with metoo and all to do with generating clicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Society is slowing fcuking itself.

Pretty soon people will be so fking offended and righteous over everything that nobody will talk to each other incase some fcuktard starts crying.

The perpetually offended need to get fked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the only people who would read anything sinister into that song are probably a bit rapey themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That's such a cheap lousy faggot thing to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's new thing everyday.

This song has been called up more and more over the last 6 or so years now. And people who complain about the song don't seem to understand it. https://dailycaller.com/2016/12/05/here-is-why-baby-its-cold-outside-is-not-a-song-about-rape/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

bet they won't object to the long list of 'smack a ho' style rap songs.

wonder why.

replace with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Did the same radio station stop playing Gary Glitters 'Another Rock 'n' Roll Christmas?

You know, a guy actually involved in child rape.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Unleash the After Hours outrage kraken!

Less outrage and more concern for inevitable decline into a highly sanistised, gender regimented and bland future popular culture.

• Advertisement

I think the OP could accurately re-phrased as:

"Local radio station gets massive increase in listeners and brand recognition after savvy PR move prompts discussion worldwide"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Not that I care what the radio station is but did it stop playing that robin thicke song actually about date rape a couple years ago??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You would really have to be scraping around to find that song offensive. Its a harmless bit of flirtation and love.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

For every bat crap crazy nutjob who calls for a ban, am gonna play it. The nuttier the objection the louder I'm playing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's jazz.
    Jazz, even the very early stuff, has lyrics with sex, drugs, alcoholism references/or whatever you're having yourself you won't find in Country n Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Even guns n roses censored themselves by removing the emigrants and ******s song from the Appetite for Destruction reissue.
    What next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wonder will anyone call for the banning of 'Bunch of Thyme'? Now there's dodgy lyrics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Even guns n roses censored themselves by removing the emigrants and ******s song from the Appetite for Destruction reissue.
    What next?

That's the reason why I refuse to buy it - I was actually considering shelling out for the Locked 'n' Loaded set but f**k them for not including One In A Million.

I heard a busker singing it back in the mid 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's new thing everyday.

Wait till the demand banning the term and song white Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,432 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ffs, this will mean we will soon only be getting the Ronan Keating version of Fairytale Of New York, time to rise up against the machine.

Candie wrote: »
    I think the OP could accurately re-phrased as:

"Local radio station gets massive increase in listeners and brand recognition after savvy PR move prompts discussion worldwide"

You're right but it's a sad sign of the times that doing this is a "savvy PR move".

Used to be that idiocy was something PR companies would tell their clients to refrain from engaging in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Did the same radio station stop playing Gary Glitters 'Another Rock 'n' Roll Christmas?

You won't hear that on Christmas FM.

The only time you'll hear it nowadays is in shops that dig out the same old pre-1997 Christmas compliation CD every year. Very catchy, so you can easily find yourself humming it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Between this and the recent call to ban Disney movies the MeToo movement has lost the run of itself.

There is absolutely nothing offensive or ‘rapey’ about this song and frankly anyone that thinks there is needs to take a good look at themselves.

MeToo needs to end now - it’s gone way too far. At this point it’s just about a desire to be offended. It’s lost it’s original meaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

You won't hear that on Christmas FM.

The only time you'll hear it nowadays is in shops that dig out the same old pre-1997 Christmas compliation CD every year. Very catchy, so you can easily find yourself humming it afterwards.

It's on Now That's What I Call Music - The Christmas Album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's not even a GOOD rapey song.

• Advertisement

Between this and the recent call to ban Disney movies the MeToo movement has lost the run of itself.

Reminds me of these comments from Kiera Knightly recently regarding what her daughter is and isn't allowed to watch:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The whole song is balanced out in what is being said by both parties.

The real focus on "what's in this drink" but she then says she'll have another cigarette and she also thinks more about her reputation rather than not wanting to be there.

You can pick lines here and there but in the context of how people would talk to each other even now it is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Reminds me of these comments from Kiera Knightly recently regarding what her daughter is and isn't allowed to watch:

I believe that’s where the calls to ban Disney movies stemmed from.

Ridiculous in the extreme tbh. Sometimes as a woman you do need a man by your side. Sometimes you do need help or rescuing. That doesn’t make you any less of a woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You know, a guy actually involved in child rape.

I think everyone did.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I think everyone did.

He still makes money from other songs people use like Rock And Roll. You also have to remember the people who wrote the songs didn't do anything. The Glitter Band went out on their own and wrote and recorded their own material. Joan Jett had hits with covers of his songs and I think he has writing credits on them. Sometimes the reaction from people is misdirected or has other consequences.

Matter of time somebody does a documentary on the effects of the people who suffer in unexpected ways from being connected to other stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

What a pair of f*cking losers. The comments are quite good though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I just can't get over the cleverness and forward thinking of God... Like I know HE'S a MAN but to actually create womens feet smaller than MENS just so they can get closer to the kitchen sink was remarkable :-)))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

dan1895 wrote: »
    What a pair of f*cking losers. The comments are quite good though

That's far more offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

OP says "the lyrics are a bit rapey". WTF?

Everytime a thread on this song is started I mention why none of these complainers have an issue with the "SWEAT a la la long" song now THAT has rapey lyrics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I dunno, the lyrics read to me (her side of them) that she wants to stay and bump uglies but she’s worried about what her family and various curtain-twitchers will think. The rejoinders from himself read as him knowing well she wants to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've just read the lyrics now. It's only rapey if you think that way. Think of it from a lovers point of view. 2 people in love, having a bit of fun. Have you never said anything similar to your partner if they're getting up out of bed to go to work, and you want them to stay? I have. I know plenty of others that have. That's what I take from it, young lovers having a bit of fun, she 'has' to leave because her parents will be worried (whose parents are not), people will talk (that's society for ya), but she still wants to stay, have another drink, a cigarette, whatever. She even agrees it's cold outside. There is not one single sentence that shouts rape or sexual predator to me, just 2 lovers having to leave but neither really wants to, yer man is obviously mad for her to stay so he's all about her staying, and she's in 2 minds.

If you think the lyrics on this are inappropriate, I genuinely feel sorry for the way you look at life. Must be horrible to see the negative in absolutely everything.

Now, Jamie Foxx - Blame it on the alcohol, has obvious rapey tones and lyrics. As does Every Breath you take. This song? Nah, people are reading too much into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

You're right but it's a sad sign of the times that doing this is a "savvy PR move".

Used to be that idiocy was something PR companies would tell their clients to refrain from engaging in.

Well, a US president was recently elected by happily saying stuff into a microphone that politicians before would only say in private conversations that happened to get picked up by mics. And for those politicians, it would be campaign over. I’d imagine PR companies have learned something from the incumbent. Be brazen and brass-necked in your controversy. People take notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

I am anti-misogyny and pro-#Me Too but this is a bit extreme. The song is hardly an example of extreme misogyny. Neither is it a Christmas song either. Heard it first by Ray Charles on a greatest hits album and never considered it to be a Christmas song.

• Advertisement
Advertisement