Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club Championships 2018-19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Big turn up for the books in that one. Great to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Mushy wrote: »
    Big turn up for the books in that one. Great to see

Great win for columbas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Great stuff, that's what it's all about. Was enjoyable enough to watch for such a mistake riddled game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Great win for columbas
    Great win alright but would they kick the odd ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Results like that is further proof that the club game is alive and well. Congrats St columbas deserving winners who never stopped believing. The Dublin champs beaten by teams from Wicklow and Longford the last two years some contrast from the county game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Astonishing achievement, that. Well from the outside anyway. Has their been a bigger coup in respect to club size in a Leinster (or even any province) before? Excuse me if this has been discussed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Astonishing achievement, that. Well from the outside anyway. Has their been a bigger coup in respect to club size in a Leinster (or even any province) before? Excuse me if this has been discussed?

Mount Leinster winning a hurling title is probably the best comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Caltra winning all Ireland in 2004 I say . Tiny village as well. To put it in comparison there after being relegated from senior

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Great stuff by the Longford men. I was especially impressed by their full blooded defending and how they kept the talented Paul Mannion scoreless from play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

That's a staggering result for the Longford champions. Congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

For a low scoring club game played in December i have to say i enjoyed that competitive Leinster final today.

Well done to Mullinalaghta. Its wasn't a total out of the blue type win as this team has won 3 in a row county titles and have number of good county players across the spine of their team.

For a low scoring club game played in December i have to say i enjoyed that competitive Leinster final today.

Well done to Mullinalaghta. Its wasn't a total out of the blue type win as this team has won 3 in a row county titles and have number of good county players across the spine of their team.

Ah, if you had said they have a chance to win a Leinster at the start of the Championship you would be rightly smirked at!

People mention Caltra but Caltra had the excellent Meehans at the time at their peak. Saying that, An Gaeltacht had a third of the Kerry senior team in their ranks at the time also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Caltra isn't the best example. The village of Caltra is small yes, but they also pick from neighbouring villages, such as Ahascragh and Fohenagh. They would also have gotten a few from Ballymacward over the years

Kiltormer are a much better example in Galway. Won an all Ireland hurling in 92. Tiny parish surrounded by a plethora of other hurling clubs. Can no longer field at underage so had to amalgamate with Mullagh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

jr86 wrote: »
    Caltra isn't the best example. The village of Caltra is small yes, but they also pick from neighbouring villages, such as Ahascragh and Fohenagh. They would also have gotten a few from Ballymacward over the years

Kiltormer are a much better example in Galway. Won an all Ireland hurling in 92. Tiny parish surrounded by a plethora of other hurling clubs. Can no longer field at underage so had to amalgamate with Mullagh

I think Caltra is a very good example.

I'm open to correction here, but as far as I know Caltra is only a half-parish with Ahascragh which is very hurling oriented. They have a small pick and the year they won the All-Ireland was on foot of the only County senior title they have ever won.

I went to school with two of the Meehans so I always kept an eye on Caltra and I remember when they won the County INTERMEDIATE title sometime in the mid to late 1990s I thought that was a marvellous achievement for such a small club, which ought to give some perspective on how big winning an All-Ireland Senior title was a few years later.

Whoever owns that Keoghs bar in Mullinalaghta is going to make a serious mint tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

An absolutely outstanding achievement by the Longford men,especially in this day and age when everything seems to be in favour of the big clubs.
    For me,they should be the automatic choice for Ireland's team of the year.
    Unfortunately,that title seems to be reserved for our rugby brethren, the darlings of the D4 media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

megadodge wrote: »

I'm open to correction here, but as far as I know Caltra is only a half-parish with Ahascragh which is very hurling oriented. They have a small pick and the year they won the All-Ireland was on foot of the only County senior title they have ever won.

I went to school with two of the Meehans so I always kept an eye on Caltra and I remember when they won the County INTERMEDIATE title sometime in the mid to late 1990s I thought that was a marvellous achievement for such a small club, which ought to give some perspective on how big winning an All-Ireland Senior title was a few years later.

You're correct. Caltra is a half parish of Ahascragh and Ahascragh itself is purely hurling oriented.

megadodge wrote: »

But the geographical spread they can pick from in theory spreads beyond Caltra itself and out into bits of castleblakeney, Fohenagh, Ballymacward. I've never heard of Caltra struggling to field a team and they've had decent underage success at times

Kiltormer meanwhile have a tiny pocket to choose from (as their neighbouring areas are all hurling clubs) and were relegated only 3/4 years after winning the AI. I remember Justin Campbell saying it was a one in a lifetime occurrence that they happened to get a bare 15 of class hurlers together. Until they had to amalgamate underage to survive you'd very rarely see them playing above C level the past few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Fair play to St. Columbas! There was a lot of crying in Meath about how Dunboyne, one of the biggest clubs in the most densely populated part of Meath never stood a chance against Crokes and that we all may give up because of these Dublin superclubs. Didn't seem to faze the Longford men.

As an aside-Someday someone will come up with an equation which displays the ratio of the success of a team, to how small the parish is, to how much the low population is mentioned. Mullinalaghta seems to get smaller and smaller every time I've read a match report. By the time the All Ireland final comes around they probably won't have a big enough population to field a team.

They need to split Mullinaghta in two.........oh wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

washman3 wrote: »
    An absolutely outstanding achievement by the Longford men,especially in this day and age when everything seems to be in favour of the big clubs.
    Unfortunately,that title seems to be reserved for our rugby brethren, the darlings of the D4 media.

The pitch will be very crowded this year when it comes to choosing the team of 2018. You have rightly mentioned Mullinalaghta. But the competition includes Dublin's four-in- a-row, Limerick hurlers, the women's under-20 athletics relay team, and yes, the Ireland rugby team. To judge by the rugby flags flying these days in places such as Loop Head and Connemara, your rugby brethren are the darlings of more than Dublin 4.
    But with the utmost respect to Mullinalaghta and the others for me the team of the year is our women's hockey team, the first Irish team to take world silver.
    The journey is not over for Mullinalaghta or the Ireland rugby team. Let's hope we are talking about both of them when it comes to picking the team of 2019.
    I will root for any team, even a tiddlywinks team, if they are wearing green jerseys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭rm75

washman3 wrote: »

Agree 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

feargale wrote: »
    The pitch will be very crowded this year when it comes to choosing the team of 2018. You have rightly mentioned Mullinalaghta. But the competition includes Dublin's four-in- a-row, Limerick hurlers, the women's under-20 athletics relay team, and yes, the Ireland rugby team. To judge by the rugby flags flying these days in places such as Loop Head and Connemara, your rugby brethren are the darlings of more than Dublin 4.
    But with the utmost respect to Mullinalaghta and the others for me the team of the year is our women's hockey team, the first Irish team to take world silver.
    The journey is not over for Mullinalaghta or the Ireland rugby team. Let's hope we are talking about both of them when it comes to picking the team of 2019.
    I will root for any team, even a tiddlywinks team, if they are wearing green jerseys.

As many teams deserve the ‘team of the year’ this year (4 in a row champs for me) it’s a worthy discussion point, it’s a pointless conversation though when it’ll come to the awards. Saturday night will be the Rugby awards with highlights of the rest of the years sport thrown in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

EICVD wrote: »
    As many teams deserve the ‘team of the year’ this year (4 in a row champs for me) it’s a worthy discussion point, it’s a pointless conversation though when it’ll come to the awards. Saturday night will be the Rugby awards with highlights of the rest of the years sport thrown in!

God knows, it's about the only half-interesting category at the Sports Awards this year; struggling to think of any other notable sporting achievement for 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

But the geographical spread they can pick from in theory spreads beyond Caltra itself and out into bits of castleblakeney, Fohenagh, Ballymacward. I've never heard of Caltra struggling to field a team and they've had decent underage success at times

Kiltormer meanwhile have a tiny pocket to choose from (as their neighbouring areas are all hurling clubs) and were relegated only 3/4 years after winning the AI. I remember Justin Campbell saying it was a one in a lifetime occurrence that they happened to get a bare 15 of class hurlers together. Until they had to amalgamate underage to survive you'd very rarely see them playing above C level the past few years

I'm not denying Kiltormer's was a fantastic achievement, but I was originally replying to your assertion that Caltra wasn't a good comparison to Mulinalaghta. It certainly is. And Kiltormer is also.

Justin Campbell's assertion that it was a once in a lifetime event is correct, but it's no different than Caltra who without one particular family would probably never have won an Intermediate county title. And there are quite a few examples over the years of small clubs winning the All-Ireland and fading into relative obscurity thereafter thanks to a golden generation.

MfMan wrote: »
    God knows, it's about the only half-interesting category at the Sports Awards this year; struggling to think of any other notable sporting achievement for 2018.

Eh, the womens hockey team (amateurs who barely get a competitive game all year round on a sport barely recognised here and have f all funds) beating professional teams and getting to the world cup final despite being almost last (if not last seeded team)

I'm sorry but that surpasses that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,924 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2018/19 Junior and Intermediate finals

AI Club Junior Football final- Sat 9th Feb
    Beaufort (Kerry) vs Easkey (Sligo)- Croke Park

AI Club Intermediate Football final- Sat 9th Feb
    Kilcummin (Kerry) vs Naomh Eanna (Antrim)- Croke Park

AI Club Junior Hurling final- Sun 10th Feb
    Castleblayney (Monaghan) vs Dunnamaggin (Kilkenny)- Croke Park

AI Club Intermediate Hurling final- Sun 10th Feb
    Charlevile (Cork) vs Oranmore-Maree (Galway)- Croke Park

AI Club Senior Semi finals 2018/19

Senior Hurling semi finals
    St Thomas (Galway) vs Cushendall (Antrim)- Sat 9th Feb Parnell Park Dublin 3pm
    Ballygunner (Waterford) vs Ballyhale Shamrocks (Kilkenny)- Sat 9th Feb Semple Stadium Thurles 5pm

Senior Football semi finals
    Corofin (Galway) vs Gweedore (Donegal)- Sat 16th Feb Carrick on Shannon 1.30pm
    Dr Crokes (Kerry) vs Mullinalaghta (Longford)- Sat 16th Feb Semple Stadium 3.30pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

What are the pitch and stands like in Carrick-on-shannon?
    Would Sligo not be a better venue for the football semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

tanko wrote: »
    What are the pitch and stands like in Carrick-on-shannon?
    Would Sligo not be a better venue for the football semi.

County standard, good size stand and decent pitch. I believe Sligo wasn't up for consideration because of work being done on the pitch, don't know if that's right or not, just what I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

PTH2009 wrote: »

Club Senior Semi finals 2018/19

Senior Hurling semi finals
    St Thomas (Galway) vs Cushendall (Antrim)- Sat 9th Feb Parnell Park Dublin 3pm
    Ballygunner (Waterford) vs Ballyhale Shamrocks (Kilkenny)- Sat 9th Feb Semple Stadium Thurles 5pm

Who is likely to come out of these? Anyone expecting Cushendall to get the better of At. Thomas?
    The second game looks the more interesting out of the two.

Also, will TG4 be showing these games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Also, will TG4 be showing these games?

TG4 showing both live

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Who is likely to come out of these? Anyone expecting Cushendall to get the better of At. Thomas?
    The second game looks the more interesting out of the two.

The last time Thomas's were at this stage, they played ballyea from Clare - they never hurled properly until well into the second half. In 2013 they played another northern team and had to go to a replay before getting over the line. That being said, Thomas's should win - watch out for fintan Burke playing at centre back, captain of the u-21's last year. He's the makings of a serious prospect for Galway imo. As well as David Burke and Conor Cooney, Thomas's have a load of lads who have played (or are currently playing) inter county. Thomas's to win by 5.

The second match is very interesting and is hard to call, but if tj Reid isn't man marked tightly by ballygunner, then he could have a field day. Same goes for padraic Mahoney for ballygunner. Ballyhale to win by 4

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

TG4 are showing the hurling, why are the IFC and JFC football finals on the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

GAA Beo wrote: »
    TG4 are showing the hurling, why are the IFC and JFC football finals on the same time?

Think they're only being shown online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Think they're only being shown online.

In previous years they have been on the AIB YouTube channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,924 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Never thought I see a Monaghan vs Kilkenny decider in a hurling match

AI junior Hurling club final- Castleblaney (Monaghan) vs Dunnamagin (Kilkenny)

Massive for hurling in Monaghan

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Never thought I see a Monaghan vs Kilkenny decider in a hurling match

AI junior Hurling club final- Castleblaney (Monaghan) vs Dunnamagin (Kilkenny)

Massive for hurling in Monaghan

Noel Hickey still going strong at 38

Should be a serious intermediate final too. Not too often you see two all stars over past two seasons coming up against each other at that level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Noel Hickey still going strong at 38

Should be a serious intermediate final too. Not too often you see two all stars over past two seasons coming up against each other at that level

Who are the two all stars?

Gearoid McInerney Darragh fitzgibbon

• Advertisement

Gearoid McInerney Darragh fitzgibbon

Two former all Stars on the line as well in Ben O'Connor and Gerry McInerney.

Thomass just that bit sharper and clinical so far.

Thomass just that bit sharper and clinical so far.

Thomas's seem that have a bit more hurling in them than cushendall.

Was it a penalty for cushendall in the first few minutes? Thanks thought the foul was just outside the square.

Some difference in standard here.

They are first to every ball and winning most of the dirty ball too.
    Hopefully playing with the wind in second half will bring them into it a bit more.

Cushendall will have to keep their Puck outs in the second half away from fintan Burke - he's mopping up everything there at the moment.

Conor Cooney has been quiet enough tbh.

• Advertisement

Comeback on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Comeback on here?

It's on. Point down and with the wind. 5 mins plus left

Like a different game in the second half.

Jaysus take your point.

Went for glory instead of the replay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement