Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    "THANK YOU FOR PAYING US TO BETA TEST THE RTX TURING FOLKS, YOUR MONETARY SACRIFICE WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED"

- JENSEN HUANG

His Niece will be saying the same to Navi/RDNA early adaptors in a few weeks.

Both companies used their last generation of cards as the beta test for brand new architecture and processes.

RDNA2 will function very differently from RDNA, the original was built on the VEGA instruction sets and was compute focused but the latter has been built from the ground up and is not compute focused, they've branched to CDNA (which will remain heavily VEGA based) for that on their Radeon pro series cards.

I'd expect the RDNA2 based Navi cards to be a lot more interesting than the first generation of Navi, the reported larger die size will also probably help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Cordell

:)
    No, that's not fair :) We got to play in glorious RT fidelity before anyone else :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im glad i skipped the last gen, my 1080ti still blitzing every game in my collection @ 1440P but i might just be tempted by the 3070 or 3080.
    I read something recently but cant track it down but something about a lot of current PC`s wont have enough connection pins or something for these new cards, any truth in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Dcully wrote: »
    Im glad i skipped the last gen, my 1080ti still blitzing every game in my collection @ 1440P but i might just be tempted by the 3070 or 3080.
    I read something recently but cant track it down but something about a lot of current PC`s wont have enough connection pins or something for these new cards, any truth in this?

There is a 12 pin to 2 x 8pin adapter in the box with the founders editions.

The AIB models will feature traditional connectors. Some of the very top, top end cards will need 3 x 8pin connectors.

Dcully wrote: »

Going by the specs, if you have a 1080ti (250W) you should be able to replace it with a 3070 (220W only one 8pin needed) but you may need a new PSU for the 3080 (320W, 2x 8pin needed).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

His Niece will be saying the same to Navi/RDNA early adaptors in a few weeks.

Ha, never realised they were related. That must make for some awkward family dinners.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Many a rant happening in 2080ti households over the week

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Rob2D wrote: »
    Ha, never realised they were related. That must make for some awkward family dinners.

They're not AFAIK, it's just been misreported.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone have any recommendations for a 750w+ gold modular power supply? My CX650M is probably about 5 years old now and unfortunately seen a lot of dust for a couple of careless years so could do with upgrading anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone have any recommendations for a 750w+ gold modular power supply? My CX650M is probably about 5 years old now and unfortunately seen a lot of dust for a couple of careless years so could do with upgrading anyways.

I've been looking this morning on Amazon because I've vouchers and they're scarce at the moment.

• Advertisement

I saw this on adverts - not sure if its value or not
    https://www.adverts.ie/power-supply-units/cooler-master-vanguard-v850w-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-desktop-power-supply/21431733

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I've been looking this morning on Amazon because I've vouchers and they're scarce at the moment.

Scan have the Seasonic Focus GX850 in stock for £120 which are in the A tier on the LinusTechTips list, thinking that might be the way to go

Hyzepher wrote: »

Cheers, from looking around I can't see them for sale anywhere other than some old reviews from last year so bit of a gamble for the 90 quid he wants I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Cordell wrote: »
    Going by the specs, if you have a 1080ti (250W) you should be able to replace it with a 3070 (220W only one 8pin needed) but you may need a new PSU for the 3080 (320W, 2x 8pin needed).

Does anyone recommend any power supply calculator?
    I wonder if I can get a 3080 on my current PSU.

I have a Z270 mobo with i7-7700k CPU (stock clock), H100v2 cooler, 3x sorage (NVMe SSD, SATA SSD, SATA HDD) and GTX1080Ti (stock) on a 650W Corsair PSU.

IIRC, the max draw is around 500W in this setup, but I don't recall how much of that was the GPU, how close can I get to the max PSU power, etc.

Scan have the Seasonic Focus GX850 in stock for £120 which are in the A tier on the LinusTechTips list, thinking that might be the way to go

Cheers for that. Do we need 850W for a 3080?

I'm sticking in an order for a 3600 & MSI B550 Bazooka from AWD today for £270 but unfortunately they don't have any Seasonic PSUs in stock. They do have the Corsair RM750 though. I think those are meant to be quite a good PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

JoyPad wrote: »
    Does anyone recommend any power supply calculator?
    I wonder if I can get a 3080 on my current PSU.

I have a Z270 mobo with i7-7700k CPU (stock clock), H100v2 cooler, 3x sorage (NVMe SSD, SATA SSD, SATA HDD) and GTX1080Ti (stock) on a 650W Corsair PSU.

IIRC, the max draw is around 500W in this setup, but I don't recall how much of that was the GPU, how close can I get to the max PSU power, etc.

It's an extra 70W so it should be fine*. That 500W figure, was it measured, or the result of a PSU calculator?

*not my responsibility if it goes up in flames, for peace of mind go with the NV recomendation of 750W :)

Cordell wrote: »
    It's an extra 70W so it should be fine*. That 500W figure, was it measured, or the result of a PSU calculator?

*not my responsibility if it goes up in flames, for peace of mind go with the NV recomendation of 750W :)

Definitely a calculator. How could I even measure the actual consumption? One of those thingumabobs that you insert between the PSU cable and the wall socket? Don't have one :(

I'm sticking in an order for a 3600 & MSI B550 Bazooka from AWD today for £270 but unfortunately they don't have any Seasonic PSUs in stock. They do have the Corsair RM750 though. I think those are meant to be quite a good PSU.

I have the RM850 in mine. It's the newer shorter version of it too. No complaints.

I have the RM850 in mine. It's the newer shorter version of it too. No complaints.

Thanks for that. Just under £380 for the B550, 3600 and the 750PSU and then MSI are doing £38 cash back so seems pretty reasonable.

• Advertisement

JoyPad wrote: »
    Definitely a calculator. How could I even measure the actual consumption? One of those thingumabobs that you insert between the PSU cable and the wall socket? Don't have one :(

A PSU calculator will add the max power for all components, but that's not something that you will be able to reach even if you're trying :) I suspect you won't be drawing more than 350W with your current GPU when gaming, and very likely not even that. You will probably get closer to 500W with a 3080, but not over.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_wtoCBahhM

750w+ is being recommended, but I'd more be thinking if I was gonna splash out on a new one I'd rather go with the extra headroom

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I know its kind of beating death horse at this point when it comes to adverts.ie, but i kind of understand 2080ti crowd being bitter and trying to hold value for longer as they use CEX as their saver ( not for long ), but what really surprises me is the lower tier card sellers, they still looking crazy money for stuff like 2060, 2070, 2080 non ti.
    Nvidia really crushed second hand market with this. Really looking forward to 3060 and what AMD can do in market for peasants like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I could do with an old card if anyone is looking to offload one. Just so I can use my pc and do light gaming. 50 quid budget. Let me know.

I know its kind of beating death horse at this point when it comes to adverts.ie, but i kind of understand 2080ti crowd being bitter and trying to hold value for longer as they use CEX as their saver ( not for long ), but what really surprises me is the lower tier card sellers, they still looking crazy money for stuff like 2060, 2070, 2080 non ti.
    Nvidia really crushed second hand market with this. Really looking forward to 3060 and what AMD can do in market for peasants like me.

Even the 1080s are being listed for crazy prices never mind 1080tis. I've been trying to nab a cheap card that'll do 1440p to tide me over for the next few months until the 3080s are widely available, as I don't mind taking a hundred quid or so hit when I have to sell it on to do me for now, but it looks like things won't really shift until the new cards are released.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yeah last i checked it was bad on adverts,people always crap on adverts but its been very useful to me as a seller.

I've sold a good bit of stuff over the years. Usually ends up me and buyer being happy so its a good service to have imo.

I do feel sorry for people who's card value got decimated over night. No one saw that coming. The ones who have their cards up for the last while but not willing to budge on price ie they nearly wanted more than they paid for it,they can suck a lemon,unfortunately those asses are part of adverts too.

I'm sure some people who buy second hand parts and put together machines will be hit hard too. A lot of those machines are over priced so hard to feel sorry for all them but i do for some.

If the 3070 turns out to be the card that Nvidia have promoted then I predict the following once supply is adequate;

1080ti - €200
    2060/Super - €150
    2070 - €200
    RX 5700XT - €200
    2070 Super - €220
    2080 - €240
    2080 Super - €260
    2080ti - €400

These could go even lower if AMD releases anything mildly competitive

Hyzepher wrote: »
    If the 3070 turns out to be the card that Nvidia have promoted then I predict the following once supply is adequate;

1080ti - €200
    2060/Super - €150
    2070 - €200
    RX 5700XT - €200
    2070 Super - €220
    2080 - €240
    2080 Super - €260
    2080ti - €400

These could go even lower if AMD releases anything mildly competitive

To be honest you'd be as well keeping your card and using it for something else than sell for €150.

Looks like I will upgrade two PCs from 1080Ti to the new 30-series cards. But it would be foolish to pre-order right away, when we don't know what AMD is bringing to the table, and what Nvidia will bring to the table as a response to that.
    Is it not clear that Nvidia has Super variants ready to launch?

As such, I'm not selling until I have a replacement card in hand, at the risk of selling them for peanuts. Maybe not 50 quid, but surely less than 300.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Advertisement