Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aborting a Down Syndrome Twin at full term.

• 21-11-2014 10:07am
    Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

I've just been listening to a UK radio show and I was shocked to find out that when 1 one of the twins is diagnosed with potential downs an abortion will be offered to get rid of the "sick" twin. The problem is that an early abortion will put the "healthy" twin at risk so they need to carry out the abortion at close to full term at which stage he/she will be fully developed and there is a possibility that the aborted downs syndrome twin will come out alive and they would have to kill him/her outside the womb.

1) First of all is this the case? It sounds like a Third Reich horror story...
    and 2) What are people's views on the morality of this?

Comments

each to their own,
    whats it got to do with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I've just been listening to a UK radio show and I was shocked to find out that when 1 one of the twins is diagnosed with potential downs an abortion will be offered to get rid of the "sick" twin. The problem is that an early abortion will put the "healthy" twin at risk so they need to carry out the abortion at close to full term at which stage he/she will be fully developed and there is a possibility that the aborted downs syndrome twin will come out alive and they would have to kill him/her outside the womb.

can we have a Link?

And an apology for bring the nazi's into a thread on the first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

What's 'close to full tern?' iirc, abortions are only legal up to 24 weeks, not full term.

Edit: ridiculous thread title, too. Nothing you've posted indicates that full term abortions are being offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Sounds like utter BS to me the kinda sick rumours the Pro "life" camp spread. Abortion is only legal up to 24 weeks and even at that stage is extremely rare in countries with access to abortion 80 per cent are carried out at under 8 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

You sure it wasn't the UK equivilant of Chris Barry's phoneshow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

This thread title is pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Full term?? In what country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,204 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

1) No

2) The only person whose morality is relevant in that situation is the person who has to make that decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Sounds like horsesh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I've re-read this a few times and I've spotted one or two things (in bold) which don't make sense.
    The way this post has been written makes it sound like having DS is guaranteed to happen.
    The next thing I spotted was the "potential" part. So according to this interview they are saying that DS is somewhat guaranteed but it isn't 100% for sure if the child has it?
    Then if the abortion is too late they will allow it to be born and then execute it?
    This isn't the 1400s OP and I think either you've made a mistake or the show you were listening to is radio version of Hostel.
    I call BS on this.
    As for the morality of it, it is fcuking disgusting.
    Case in point:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/11005285/Australian-couple-abandon-surrogate-twin-with-Downs-syndrome-but-keep-his-sister.html

Absolute scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

urbanledge wrote: »
    each to their own,

Oh, a residual shred of humanity I suppose?

And yes, for the record, you can kill a baby if it suffers any foetal abnormality (including something as simple as a hare lip) up to 9 months in the UK, which is pretty disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Sounds like a scare story by a proponent of the "slippery slope" hypothesis: "if we allow abortions at all, this is what it will lead to". Someone who thinks morality is black-and-white Judeo-Christian, no grey areas allowed.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

each to their own,

So you're essentially saying you have no problem with murdering a child with down syndrome, as its nothing to do with you?

What's 'close to full tern?' iirc, abortions are only legal up to 24 weeks, not full term.

Edit: ridiculous thread title, too. Nothing you've posted indicates that full term abortions are being offered.

A quick google would show you that there no time limit for foetal abnormality, including minor ones in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Isn't there a limit to when you can have an abortion unless the pregnant womans health is at risk?

Some sources would be nice.

Isn't there a limit to when you can have an abortion unless the pregnant womans health is at risk?

Some sources would be nice.

Will the Marie Stopes clinic do?
    http://www.mariestopes.org.uk/women/abortion/abortion-facts/what-uk-law-abortion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Aborting a child at 24 weeks is absolutely disgusting

keano_afc wrote: »
    So you're essentially saying you have no problem with murdering a child with down syndrome, as its nothing to do with you?

Correct,
    nothing got to do with you either .
    When its your twins you can do whatever you like and I won't give a flying ****.

Correct,
    When its your twins you can do whatever you like and I won't give a flying ****.

Jesus that's cold.

I see the 'murdering a child' talk has already started.

Let's even it out.

It's terminating the viability of a parasitic organism :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

conorhal wrote: »
    A quick google would show you that there no time limit for foetal abnormality, including minor ones in the UK.

A quick Google has told me that it's legal in cases where the child will be severely disabled, not have a hare lip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,204 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well, that escalated quickly.

I'm still waiting for the OP to provide a source for their nonsense talk.

I get the feeling that none will be forthcoming, but nothing like a good shìt stirring thread with a sensationalist title like it was ripped straight from the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

Ive read, that in certain cases, of a robot from the future intervening with the port-birth-abortion

typically concluding in a standoff in a steel smelting factory

• Moderators Posts: 51,859 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

That's not an abortion, that infanticide.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

And yes, for the record, you can kill a baby if it suffers any foetal abnormality (including something as simple as a hare lip) up to 9 months in the UK, which is pretty disgusting.

No you can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

there is a possibility that the aborted downs syndrome twin will come out alive and they would have to kill him/her outside the womb.

Um... that would actually be murder?

Correct,

Wow, I'm genuinely staggered.

Murder is fine folks, as long as it doesnt directly affect you, apparently. And 3 people agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I meant a source for these babies with downs syndrome being killed once they are born.

I'm unsure of what severity is required for a late term abortion and your link didn't explain from my quick look.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Who told you this? Do you have a link or something to back it up?

I don't think that's true...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9548293/Mother-who-aborted-baby-in-final-week-of-pregnancy-jailed-for-eight-years.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

1) Is this the case? I don't know, I imagine it's not, but you're the one making the suggestion, surely you're the one who should provide some sort of back-up for it, instead of asking the rest of us to disprove what you've posted (possibly out of your own imagination, for all we know.)

2) I'll give my views when you provide a proper link to the story. However, I've often heard of "selective abortions" (where one/some embryos are terminated, but not others) occurring early in pregnancies, e.g. in cases of multiple births where carrying all to term is unviable, or where some of the foetuses are terminally ill. It happens all the time, and usually very early on in the pregnancy. I'd be surprised if you can find a valid link to support what you've just suggested.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Wow, I'm genuinely staggered.

Murder is fine folks, as long as it doesnt directly affect you, apparently. And 3 people agree with you.

Are we talking about murder or abortion here? They are different things and unless you are under 16 years old you should know that by now.

orubiru wrote: »
    Are we talking about murder or abortion here? They are different things and unless you are under 16 years old you should know that by now.

We are talking about both. The opening OP says that if the child can't be aborted before birth then the birth will go ahead. At this point then the child would be murdered - it doesn't say murdered but that's how I see it.

bear1 wrote: »
    We are talking about both. The opening OP says that if the child can't be aborted before birth then the birth will go ahead. At this point then the child would be murdered - it doesn't say murdered but that's how I see it.

Except it's bollocks. It is legal to abort. It is not legal to murder the baby once it's been born.

• Advertisement

Each to their own is what im saying.abortion for some,tiny american flags for others.
    I never gave my opinion on it.
    why?
    because its none of business what other people want to do and it doesn't effect me in any way.

Except it's bollocks. It is legal to abort. It is not legal to murder the baby once it's been born.

Oh I agree, I was just saying that we talking about both.
    It's the murder bit which I think is utter bollocks and absolutely disgusting if it's true.

• Moderators Posts: 51,859 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Murder is an illegal killing, so by definition murder can't ever be legal.

If you can read this, you're too close!

The poster I quoted said it was fine to take the life of a baby born with down syndrome, as it didnt affect them. Thats murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

you are either ignorant or deliberately trying to mislead people.
    The Law states you need 2 doctors to agree that there is a risk of SEVERE abnormality that would leave the child handicapped. there were some very rare cases in the UK where some unprofessional doctors stretched that law to include a cleft palette, and they were widely condemned.

• Advertisement

Well I heard you're allowed murder babies after they're born AND get free prams for them and if you lose the pram it gets replaced even if there is no baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Please watch your phrasing. The above makes it sound like it is legal to commit infanticide up to 9 months after birth, which is untrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

When I was 12 my parents tried to have me aborted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bluewolf wrote: »
    Well I heard you're allowed murder babies after they're born AND get free prams for them and if you lose the pram it gets replaced even if there is no baby

....and once you get 5 prams, you get a free car and a house with a satellite dish and sky sports in ALL THE ROOMS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Packrat

Lemegeton wrote: »
    you are either ignorant or deliberately trying to mislead people.
    The Law states you need 2 doctors to agree that there is a risk of SEVERE abnormality that would leave the child handicapped. there were some very rare cases in the UK where some unprofessional doctors stretched that law to include a cleft palette, and they were widely condemned.

So here we get to it. Not only is it theoretically possible, but it's happened.

Now that wasn't so hard was it?

So these people were 'widely condemned' ? I take from your failure to mention it, that they weren't charged with or convicted of anything?

So it can and does happen without consequences. Thanks, that was all I needed to know.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Swans, Pike, Poles, Single Mothers, Free Mooney, Daily Fail, more Buzz words that sets AF's off:pac:

And a christmas bonus every christmas AND easter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The OP is just trolling for the kind of anti-abortion reaction they want by posting a deliberately vague story that makes it sound the worst it can. When it gets enough steam going they'll come back and dogmatically argue every minor point of every post until anyone who disagrees leaves the thread to get away.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Grayson wrote: »
    can we have a Link?

Yes. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02bgkjs
    Grayson wrote: »
    And an apology for bring the nazi's into a thread on the first post.
    No.
    Nothing to apologise for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

And a christmas bonus every christmas AND easter

That's just ridiculous: how could you get Christmas bonus at Easter?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement