Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build - what CPU ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

BArra wrote: »
    would you not stick in an nvme m2 ssd into it?

its blistering speed, the Samsung 970 evos are an OK price on amazon

Waste of money imho for me personally,, my brother has one and i load about a second slower than him on any game we played together.
    I just dont see the point personally.

Order gone in today with one change, i changed from the ASUS PRIME Z370-P Motherboard to ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS Gaming Motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dcully wrote: »
    Waste of money imho for me personally,, my brother has one and i load about a second slower than him on any game we played together.
    I just dont see the point personally.

If you are transferring huge data files to the PC you see the benefit but for everyday use, it's not worth the extra cost over an SSD.

So i have the new rig a week now and really couldnt be happier with it.
    In that time ive learned quite a bit about overclocking my CPU.
    Scan overclocked it to 4.8ghz and stress tested for 24 hours providing me with screenshots via email before they shipped it and also on a usb stick with lots of tools and utilities on it, nice touch.
    Ive messed about with the voltage and have it stable at 1.200V compared to Scan setting it to 1.300V, the net result is about 5-8 degrees cooler.
    Granted according to scan and other guides online the cpu is fine up to 95C and although i wasnt getting close to that i went on a small quest to drop temps a bit lower.
    Im happy now at 1.200v @4.8ghz temps never go over 82C but usually sit between 70 and 80 during stress testing and gaming with max settings.
    Im half tempted to try and drop voltage a bit more and run it at 4.5ghz out of curiousity.
    Benchmarks ive seen of 4.5ghz V 4.8ghz show fps difference of single digits only.

Performance is just fantastic, really is night and day compared to my old rig at max settings @1440P.

I usually run my 8600k at 4.5gz with 1.15volts. Stable and runs at about 60c under load if that's any use to you.

I usually run my 8600k at 4.5gz with 1.15volts. Stable and runs at about 60c under load if that's any use to you.

Yeah i was wondering what voltage to try for 4.5ghz, thanks!

• Advertisement

@ Grahamer72 I just ran a 70 min stress test there now with aida 64 1.15volts 4.5 ghz max temp was 70C average of 66C 100% load with air cooler - id call that a success.

There shouldn't be any need to change that now. I have three oc profiles saved in my BIOS. The highest being 5ghz but I get great performance from 4.5 so just leave it at that.

Yeah from what ive seen from benchmarks theres only a difference of a few frames between the two,impossible to notice especially at already high framerate.
    Nice to know i can go with possible 5ghz if really needed some day :P

Oh and isnt the 1080ti a fecking beast of a yoke :)

Sure is. Hardly breaks a sweat and my case fans are louder than it. Runs nice and cool too.

So i added two Noctua NF-S12A PWM fans to my rig and temps while gaming dropped to mid 50`s it wasnt too audible at all but you could hear them and they stayed like so even when idle on desktop so i still went ahead and added the two low noise adaptors supplied to limit fans to 900rpm and temps dont seem to rise above 70C and sits in mid 60`s mostly but its really very quiet, cant decide which to stick with.

Without low noise adaptors screenie

2po9i77.png

With low nose adaptors
    2wgf590.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Up to you really; 10C+ is a huge difference but if the noise bothers you that much, keep the LNC adapter on.

I put it on my CPU cooler too tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I cheaped out on my case fans, they look great but airflows not the best. Got a Kraken X42 AIO though, very impressive considering it's a simple 140mm rad. Clocked my 9600K at 4.8Ghz out of the box at 1.25 (I think) and temps top out at about 70c under load.

I hate cheap AIOs as I consider them utterly pointless versus (or far worse than) a good air cooler but the mid to high range ones are great. Anyway, in your case 70c is still perfectly fine for a GPU so I'd stick with low noise. My backup card's a 390X and after about 5 minutes gaming it hits about 90c.

Quick question, so initially i ran the low noise adaptors straight from the 4pin header on mobo then onto a y split adaptor with 1x 4pin noctua and 3pin corsair yoke.
    I done this also for 2 fans on case front and the same for rear/top.
    The net affect was 4 fans limited to 900rpm and it was very quiet with decent temps as you can see from screenshot above.

However upon reading further the contents on the noctua fans they state do not do this.
    I have since changed it up with the y splitter connected to the 4 pin mobo header then connected to each fan again ie 3pin corsair and 4 pin noctua but for the 3 pin fans i put the low noise adaptors on this time as i understand they are not PWM compatible so i left the 2 noctuas without low noise adaptor and running in PWM mode..
    Here the net result is still nice temps rarely in the low 70s but nearly always mid 60s but we have more noise.

I think i prefer it the other way but noctua advise against it, any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The answer is to buy more Noctuas :pac:

Just to update on this.
    I ended up switching from PWM to manual control and setting case fan profile to silent resulting in a whisper quiet system even on full load and temps never go into the 70s usually low 60`s while gaming with most games staying in the 50s. BFV seems to be the only one pushing things into the 60s.
    Id call that a success, pretty excellent temps for air cooling, the 2 noctua fans transformed what was not a great case for cooling into a great one,amazing what a couple of quality fans can do.
    Temps dropped from high 70s mid 80s to low 60s.
    4 hour test with prime 95 max temp of 69c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

It really is crazy how much of a difference Noctua fans can make to a system when it comes to cooling and most especially noise levels. While they're not 100% silent, the hum off them for want of a better word, just fades into the background so as not to be noticed even while sitting next to the PC and from a few feet away you really have to focus on the case to hear anything at all.

The downside sadly is the buggers are not cheap and it's probably best not to think how much a full set will cost you :) One more and I'm done for sure, well maybe two pacman.gif

Advertisement