Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New study links obesity to the immune system

Options
2»

Comments

Calories taken in vs Calories expended. It's as simple as that.

Technically true from a physics point of view, but we are not orbs existing within a body. Different people have differing natural levels of willpower, differing highly complex psychological backstories explaining why they find it easier or harder than others not to overconsume high-calorie foods etc. Personal responsibility is something people need to *take upon themselves* (and something for which they should be admired if they do so) because the concept of absolute responsibility has no basis in reality, in spite of what ones control-hungry ego might want to believe. And I say this as someone lucky to be in good shape because I *happen to* have genetics that predispose me to find it easier than others to maintain a good weight and *also* happen to possess decent levels of willpower, lower subjective experience of satisfaction from food than I know others have (I get no enjoyment from ice cream, crisps, cake, biscuits among other foods) and the kind of stubborn, obsessive mind that facillitates losing weight and maintaining weight loss if I do happen to put on some weight. Other people have different innate personalities and natures to me and they can't just "will" themselves to be otherwise on command. Most peoples "understanding" of the concept of free will is still based in the 1st millenium BC.

Very few, because they didn't live in an environment conducive to the development of obesity, regardless of their innate natures .. obviously!

Zemazor wrote: »
    Ok so the choices people make still determines if they become obese.

Obviously. I am arguing that nobody is ultimately responsbile for the activity of their brain, and hence their choices. It is not fair for a fit person to castigate an obese person for their being obese, since the fit person finds its easier to not be obese (either because they are genetically predisposed to not have a compulsion to overeat, or else they *are* genetically predisposed to have a compulsion to overeat *but* also a predisposed to have willpower enough to counteract this in the long run (although studies wil show the percentages of people who become obese and keep the weight off in the long run to be very small, so such people are probably quite rare)).

We have all been encultured from a young age to assume as based in reality the concept that each of us has enough "oomph" to bring about any conceivable state of affairs we desire "if we just try hard enough" ... in reality, our brain is a lump of meat with brillitant thoguh limited abilities. After exerting willpower for long periods of time, cognitive depletion sets in and a person reverts back to their "natural" behaviour habits.

Just like a dog can't will itself to talk like a human, so many obese individuals simply cannot will themselves to maintain a non-obese weight long term. That's my take on it anyway. And even *if* they try to out-willpower this, eventually they come to the end of their rope and their *definite* maximum willpower just isn't enough. And even if you've recently lost a few stone and kept it off, say for a year or two, and think what I've written is bollocks - come back in 10 years and see what way your maintainance has went!

Also, this thing about obesity levels increasing - in my observation there are way fewer obese people than 10 years ago. I find it hard to believe rates are not coming down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

People with Genuine fat issues that's fine. but you will get #curvy jumping on this to say it's them not eating to much. Some have fat issues and cant loose weight but the majority are just fat.
    The only thing that causes people to be overweight is consuming more calories than they need. It is not possible to gain weight without excess calories, and these excess calories do not materialise through e.g. genetics, they are entirely due to excess food.

People have different body types, burn calories at a differing rate (not much though, usually), there are people with eating addictions (eating disorders do not just have to involve under-eating, they can involve over-eating too) and who struggle to control themselves when it comes to food, but there is one hundred per cent just one physical cause of being overweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Saipanne wrote: »
    It's only a coincidence that fat people love cake.

Hey, leave cake out of this you blaggard

21/25

The only thing that causes people to be overweight is consuming more calories than they need. It is not possible to gain weight without excess calories, and these excess calories do not materialise through e.g. genetics, they are entirely due to excess food.

People have different body types, burn calories at a differing rate (not much though, usually), there are people with eating addictions (eating disorders do not just have to involve under-eating, they can involve over-eating too) and who struggle to control themselves when it comes to food, but there is one hundred per cent just one physical cause of being overweight.

You're wrong, I'm a big munter not because of what I eat but because I drink too much, your argument is flawed

21/25

uch wrote: »
    You're wrong, I'm a big munter not because of what I eat but because I drink too much, your argument is flawed
    Ok calories meaning food AND drink.

Ok calories meaning food AND drink.

Ah look I wasn't trying to be a prick, but theres a lot of misconceptions about weight, food and drink are the biggest ones, but lack of exercise is the biggest IMO, I'm a short arséd fat little bollix, but I swim regularly, play football once a week, and walk about 30 miles a week, I'm healthy as fúck, and have been told so by several doctors, you don't have to be like a butchers pencil to be fit and healthy

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Candie wrote: »
    Not in AH it won't.

Sod the science and the evidence and stuff, dem fatties be so lazy they let the wind blow their noses. Right?

The topic should be elsewhere on boards. Candie, you have a way with words and have read many of them and don't think I have responded to one yet but couldn't let this one past..... a laugh out loud classic, thank you.

• Advertisement

Zemazor wrote: »
    I would agree with this, there were more fat people in 2006 imo.

My instincts tell me that cultural forces and pressures with their origins in the rise of social media and internet are a big reason why. Along with it being the case that nowadays being massively successful in your life by the standards of the past is the new bar for "acceptable", that allows people to feel psychologically comfortable in themselves, so people try harder than before to not put on weight while young, or to lose it if they have put it on. Gym culture has balooned in the last decade. Everyone looks way, way better looking than 10 years ago. People take way more pride in their appearance. Personally, I much preferred the old way of things - much less shallow, pressurising, sterile. Everyone has access to the internet to read about nutrition, fitness etc. - how many people in 2000 were knowledgeable about what role each micronutrient played in the diet for example. How many people do you know who *haven't* joined the gym at some point in the last 5 years, people who in 2006 would have been predicted never to set foot in one? I would put money on it being the case that rates of obesity are way down on 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Cut your cake slice in half and you can eat twice as much!

I love a bit of cake!

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Cut your cake slice in half and you can eat twice as much!

I love a bit of cake!

Hey, don't be takin my line

21/25

I hope this is a wake-up to all those parents of fat children. You people are putting your children in serious danger, and the harm your feeding is causing them won't be undone with something as simple as joining an athletics club.

The W.H.O. has said that Ireland is at the forefront of a major obesity crisis. One in three young girls is overweight/obese, and so is one in five boys.

If we stick to the current trend, 90% of men will be obese/overweight by 2030, and 85% of women. This country needs an enormous serving of cop-the-fcuk-on.
    I'm surprised at that though - the vast majority of children I see are not overweight. If anything I sit up and take notice when I see an overweight kid as i feel sorry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Saipanne wrote: »
    It's only a coincidence that fat people love cake.

You made tea come out my nose. Thanks.

:mad:

I've a good few overweight friends and thankfully they all know they're fat cause of their lifestyles. For me, once I put on an extra two kilos, which is usually during the summer, I just cut down on the calories and it goes away.

Maybe it's easy to do cause I know it works.

I'm surprised at that though - the vast majority of children I see are not overweight.
    I don't know why you're surprised, that's exactly what the statistics tell us.

22% of boys are overweight/obese, 78% are not
    30% of girls are overweight/obese, 70% are not.

But according to the W.H.O., when you walk around Dublin or Cork or Limerick in 15 years time, the overwhelming majority of people, i.e. 85-90% of all people, will be overweight/obese. We're already over half-way there. Irish men are the fattest in Europe.

Advertisement