Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New study links obesity to the immune system

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

It's only a coincidence that fat people love cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

People with Genuine fat issues that's fine. but you will get #curvy jumping on this to say it's them not eating to much. Some have fat issues and cant loose weight but the majority are just fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Saipanne wrote: »
    It's only a coincidence that fat people love cake.

I'm not fat or cuddly. But i do love cake. What Gene is responsibile for that? Tasty Gene. Nom nom nom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

Calories taken in vs Calories expended. It's as simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'm not fat or cuddly. But i do love cake. What Gene is responsibile for that? Tasty Gene. Nom nom nom.

I love cake too, just not a whole one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Theres a link between the fridge and obesity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Saipanne wrote: »
    I love cake too, just not a whole one.

Depends on the size!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

People with Genuine fat issues that's fine. but you will get #curvy jumping on this to say it's them not eating to much. Some have fat issues and cant loose weight but the majority are just fat.

My wife is a nutritionist and says the actual number of obease people who get so through means other than poor lifestyle choices is minuscule, a fraction of a %.

The vast majority whether through phscyological or other reasons just live a poor lifestyle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

A lot of people not going to be happy with this

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A lot of people not going to be happy with this
    Will they resort to comfort eating?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I am not fat and am always catching a cold. The study must be a pile of ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm overweight because I'm allergic to salad and exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm overweight because I'm allergic to salad and exercise.

Try this wonderful recipe for pizza salad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

You are all evil and horrible human beings :D

RTÉ explains it:
    Traditionally weight gain and obesity have been seen by people as the result of bad diet and inadequate exercise.

But according to experts, the majority of people find it very difficult to lose weight once they gain it, because the causes of obesity are far more complex.

The findings of the research, published in the journal Cell Metabolism, have been successfully tested in patients attending the obesity clinic of Professor Donal O'Shea, Consultant Endocrinologist at St Vincent's University Hospital and the Conway Institute, University College Dublin.

"These findings represent a significant step forward in our understanding of why people often find it so hard to lose weight, despite their best efforts," he said.

"The findings should help break many of the stigmas associated with obesity, and most importantly, they could dramatically improve outcomes for patients.

"The findings should help break many of the stigmas associated with obesity, and most importantly, they could dramatically improve outcomes for patients.

Not in AH it won't.

Sod the science and the evidence and stuff, dem fatties be so lazy they let the wind blow their noses. Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

New study links obesity to the immune system.............
    ......and coincidentally we are pleased to announce this brand-new 'immune system/stay slim drug' costing €2,473.89 per packet of two tablets....
    ........because you're worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Maybe its harder for others to lose fat than some.
    But if you consume less calories than you burn every day, even for just a little while. You will lose weight, theres just no two ways about it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

wakka12 wrote: »
    Maybe its harder for others to lose fat than some.
    But if you consume less calories than you burn every day, even for just a little while. You will lose weight, theres just no two ways about it
    Unless you're big boned or have a hormonal problem or its in your genes
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Glands, your honour.

kbannon wrote: »
    Unless you're big boned or have a hormonal problem or its in your genes
    :D

Did'nt see any fatties rolling around Ethiopia or Sudan going "I don't know what it is, I just can't shift the weight"

Put the f**king fork down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Bambi wrote: »
    Did'nt see any fatties rolling around Ethiopia or Sudan going "I don't know what it is, I just can't shift the weight"

I'd hazard a guess that's down to malnourishment and starvation. Could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Dr Strange wrote: »
    You are all evil and horrible human beings :D

RTÉ explains it:

I think you left out the most important part of the article.

"Ultimately, this research underlies the absolute importance of prevention of weight gain in the first place. This work should be used by policy makers to prioritise obesity prevention strategies, especially childhood obesity"

PARlance wrote: »
    I think you left out the most important part of the article.

"Ultimately, this research underlies the absolute importance of prevention of weight gain in the first place. This work should be used by policy makers to prioritise obesity prevention strategies, especially childhood obesity"

No, I just don't include full quotes. Everyone can read up on the full text and study (as you did). It's interesting though to see the attitude to a proper experimental study which lead to clinic-based observations and ended in a peer-reviewed international publication being simply dismissed.

I don't blame the vast majority of the populace not understanding the principles behind scientific research though. Critical evaluation of research projects is not necessarily part of the school curriculum. So it would be up to the researchers to communicate science in simple terms.

However, there will always be a core group that will not even consider the findings as it just doesn't fit with a previously formed opinion that is much easier to be bandied about than discussing all possibilities. Nobody has said that overeating is not a problem but that obesity is a complex problem just like any other physical and mental illness. No illness is just black and white.

I'd hazard a guess that's down to malnourishment and starvation. Could be wrong.

Calories in, Baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

all studies like this do is give Big Pharma the ammo to market more placebos as a magic pill to burn fat.

all studies like this do is give Big Pharma the ammo to market more placebos as a magic pill to burn fat.

Seriously? You accuse someone like Prof O'Shea of that? The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I find it interesting that people focus on the problem as being the need to "cure" obesity rather than preventing it.

I find it interesting that people focus on the problem as being the need to "cure" obesity rather than preventing it.

This is just one aspect of it. Prevention and cure go hand in hand. You have to have both at this stage as you have both types of people: possible future patient if it isn't prevented and already obese patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Calories taken in vs Calories expended. It's as simple as that.
    You should write this up and submit it to Nature. Science is in need of clear headed thinkers like you.
    The reported work is from a group that studies inflammation and the immune system, work that's really important in everything from arthritis to cancer.

• Advertisement

I hope this is a wake-up to all those parents of fat children. You people are putting your children in serious danger, and the harm your feeding is causing them won't be undone with something as simple as joining an athletics club.

The W.H.O. has said that Ireland is at the forefront of a major obesity crisis. One in three young girls is overweight/obese, and so is one in five boys.

If we stick to the current trend, 90% of men will be obese/overweight by 2030, and 85% of women. This country needs an enormous serving of cop-the-fcuk-on.

Advertisement