Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N24 - Cahir to Waterford [design and planning underway]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

The preferred route by Q3 2022 ,not much word on this scheme it's quiet and that is the only information I have been able to get

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender out for ground investigations for this and the other N24 project

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/185337/1/0

Constraints study public consultation starting online on Tuesday the 4th of May

Scheme website launched @ https://n24waterford2cahir.ie/

As above, public consultation on constraints study to commence on Tuesday.

Preferred route to be selected by Q1 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

This may have been mentioned before but would there be any advantage in combining the Cahir to Waterford and N25 Waterford to New Ross into something like the attached?

It appears simplistic but wouldn't it speed up Dublin (West) to New Ross, Dublin to Cahir and Wexford/Rosslare to Limerick?

The gradient is not steep and the traffic from Waterford outbound to Dublin Tipp isnt that heavy so combining the data flows would not be a major issue (some traffic from Wexford would avoid Waterford completely).

Anyway just a thought!

553534.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

In real life, those "empty" parts of the map are occupied by mountains. It would be enormously expensive to build the road that way.

Apart from that, to the west of Mullinavat, that routing would serve nobody. Any N24 has to provide for travel between the south Kilkenny towns along the north bank of the Suir, and this is just too far from them.

Similarly, spending lots of money to connect Wexford more directly to Limerick while making the journey longer to Waterford, the actual population centre in the region, is not a good use of funds.

There's some merit to the N25-M8 section, but it's way too expensive; there's very little to continuing due west of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I attached a link for the constraints study if anyone wants to make a submission. I made submission earlier.

https://n24waterford2cahir.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Feedback-Form-English.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I got them back in March for the other N24 scheme , haven't heard anything since .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Tipperary town is the problem though, doesn’t look like this proposal will help there.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Yes. There’s a separate scheme from Cahir to Limerick Junction on N24 that’s further along the planning process than this one.

Waterford-Cahir has had some work done on it over the past 20 years - a particularly lethal section around Piltown was realigned as part of the N24 Piltown-Fiddown project in 2005. That is now an 11km stretch of 2+1 road.

I was on the Piltown 2+1 just last week. Pretty good road I thought. Now to bypass carrick on suir.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That 2+1 was a design I could never understand.

Dodnt realise there were 2 separate projects ongoing but I think once Tipp Town is dealt with a lot of problems will be solved

This was one of the trial schemes for 2+1, and I think it’s pretty successful here. N24 really doesn’t get a lot of traffic here (or anywhere outside of Clonmel really), so it was well within the limits of a 2+1 design. As this was a new alignment, the ability to locate the junctions in the most sensible places along the mainline helped a lot too. This is pretty much the situations where the design is used in Sweden.

I think the bad reputation of 2+1 is really due to the N20 retrofit: there was no relocation of junctions, it carries far too much traffic, and it’s filled with harried commuters who’re desperately trying to overtake by the end of every 2-lane section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The Piltown 2+1 is being redone, it's not so successful. There's been a lot of crashes, several fatal, particularly at the junction at Piltown itself.

Route options to be shown in November for this scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That Piltown junction is mad, I only experienced it recently for the first time. It reminds me of dental braces, the amount of structure on the road.

Route options announcement has been postponed until January 2022 now

• Advertisement

Route options public consultation postponed without details as to when.

This was defunded in the 2022 TII allocations

https://n24waterford2cahir.ie/news/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It's been discussed here before but really you'll need to wait for Ryan to be replaced before schemes like this can be progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Lack of funds also. Probably will be shelved for another 20 years

Can we stop blaming every delay to every scheme on Eamon Ryan? Only the Minister for Finance has the sort of power to veto projects that regularly gets ascribed to Ryan. His brief doesn’t even include roads - all he can do, like any other minister, is lobby and bargain.

Unless someone has proof, or at least plausible hearsay, that a minister (any minister) has personally vetoed or pushed a scheme, blaming a particular politician adds zero to the discussion, and only risks getting pulled into another stupid political argument.

My own impression, for what it’s worth, is that Ryan has been fairly pragmatic and has picked his fights: opposing schemes that encourage private-car commuting where public transport would be a more efficient use of resources; but at the same time keeping his oar out of schemes that address longstanding safety problems. N20 is an exception because it is both of these things at once, but this stretch of N24 is very much about safety - especially at the Waterford end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Tipperary County Council want to improve cycle facilities on the N24 Clonmel bypass. A worthwhile project but will only increase the need for a proper bypass.

A lot of local councilors upset by no funding this year for this scheme. The TDs in the county are very quiet apart from Jackie Cahill.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Just bulldoze the place, be doing g everybody a favour

Mattie McGrath and Martin Browne have spoken out about the lack of funding . It all seems a bit late to me

• Registered Users Posts: 27 repub

The study area contains so many beautiful little villages and landscapes. I'd have preferred if they published the route options before postponing. People ought to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The route options will likely be a plate of spaghetti, so perhaps its best to delay all of the unknowns until funding is more likely?

Advertisement