Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N24 - Cahir to Waterford [design and planning underway]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Reports that the decision to not allocate funding for this scheme is being reversed

It's official now . 3 million euros . 2 million euros in 2022 and the rest in 2023 . The preferred route option in late 2023

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can get to Waterford by going south to the N25 or north to the N24. I always take the southern route as the N24 is such a tedious road to drive, and in places actively dangerous. It will be good to see it improved.

• Advertisement

Route options and consultations in May

Public consultations are

. Mooncoin ,Tuesday May 3

. Clonmel ,Raheeen house hotel , Wednesday May 4

. Cahir , Cahir house hotel , Thursday May 5

. Carrick on suir, Carraig hotel , Friday May 6

All consultations are between 2pm and 8 pm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

They're in person?? The pandemic really is over!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

100s of people crammed into a hotel room looking at a map, no thanks. I know I will stick with the virtual consultation room and interactive mapping for this one. Appreciate the physical consultation is preferable for some but everyone can access a computer or phone these days with help from a neighbour or relative.

Route options published

Expect no advancement on this project until we get regime change at the Department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Expect no advancement on this project until we get regime change at the Department.

Is this based on information you've received, or just adding to the general Green-bashing that characterises this forum lately?

Money will be the main delaying factor here, I think - overruns on other capital projects will hurt the road budget, and as this one is at the bottom of the list of active projects (and latest to start), it's most likely to be postponed. But the primary justifications for upgrading N24 are safety and health, and it will be a 2+2 not a Motorway. That puts it squarely into the Green Party's stated position of focusing road improvements on addressing dangerous deficiencies and improving the public environment of the settlements on the routes. Yes, the options will provide some travel-time improvement (although Cyan goes out of its way in a few places), but that's secondary to getting trucks out of Carrick-on-Suir, Mooncoin and Killsheelan, and fixing some really nasty narrow, twisty sections.

In the past week we’ve had the Minister single handedly remove a road project from a transport strategy despite the NTA and the consultants they hired saying it’s an important part of the Limerick transport plan. It’s an awful waste of taxpayers money if these consultants are being paid quite well to conceive transport plans and the Minister then comes along and takes out the bits he personally disagrees with.

Most of the projects not funded this year (including this) are the long inter urban stretches of the national road network (N2, N4, this) that the Green Party are vehemently against despite all of the excellent points you make above, and as a result are put on the back burner. The Taoiseach said at an FF PP meeting that “Eamon doesn’t like big roads” so forget about them for now. These long stretches like the N24, are in the opinion of TII, the best way to go about improving the inter urban routes but Eamon knows better so we’re apparently back to the days of short bypasses with congestion at the two terminii and nothing to address safety concerns or congestion on the narrow bits between towns and villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Does anyone have a link to the route options? Link above doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Public Consultation No. 2 – N24 Waterford to Cahir (n24waterford2cahir.ie)

Scroll down to see links to the consultation documents.

Public display of preferred options Q4 2023

Public display expected for November, if not it will be in January. Discussions between the council and minister of sate Jack Chambers about funding for phase 3 are ongoing .

Currently the N24 between around Piltown and Carrick on Suir is a nightmare at night with dizzying rows of blinding/light-reflecting cones and a corrugated surface where the tarmac has been stripped off. And the town of Carrick has been in a state of being dug up for what seems like the last year. In fairness the works seem to be happening pretty efficiently, but there doesn't seem to be any end to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

On the other hand , it's all work associated with the building of the overpass and slip roads to improve what was a lethal junction to Piltown.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I thought the Carrick traffic calming works were finished at this stage?

Traffic calming? Is that what it is? I thought they were laying pipes and resurfacing. I can't see any difference in terms of calming. They still have a good bit of digging up going on between the railway bridge and around the health centre.

No doubt in the long run it will all be an improvement, just griping about the hassle of getting through the town.

• Advertisement

Sorry I could be wrong. I'm from down that way and I thought somebody from there told me that's what it was. But my memory can be a bit suspect sometimes! 😀

You could be right, I got my information the same way 😀.

Edit, just checked. Its 'a road pavement rehabilitation scheme which also incorporates safety improvement measures'. So we are both more or less right (apart from the pipes!)

I know it seems to have taken ages to get done which has caused a lot of complaints. However I'd say it was high time there was improvements made to the road through the town.

Preferred option display January 2024. The final review of option selection report is being done at present .

Public consultation planned for January 24 in mooncoin, 25 Carrick on suir ,26 Clonmel and 27 Cahir .

Official public display confirmed for

Tuesday 23 Jan Cahir house hotel

Wednesday 24 Jan Talbot Hotel, Clonmel

Thursday 25 Jan Mooncoin Community Hall

Friday 26 Jan Carrig hotel , Carrick on Suir.

Display of preferred route displayed to TDs and councillors today .

Post edited by steeler j on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Any link Steeler?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Some of the links seem to mistakenly require an Arup login, but the interactive web map can still be viewed:

https://n24waterford2cahir.ie/public-display-of-the-preferred-transport-solution/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

From the map it looks like the major features will be bypasses of Carrick on Suir and Kilsheelan and the existing Clonmel Inner Relief Road will be upgraded. That will be a major disruption for the works but was probably the most economical option with realignment and upgrade of the existing road.

Advertisement