Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if what needs to be re-done are the entry/exit roads between the millennium road roundabout and the link road to the new junction 9a. They seem impossibly and unnecessarily tight. You would have thought that this would have been addressed over a year ago when they were originally constructed though! I think it was even mentioned on this thread at the time!

Yeah the roads on approach and from the Kerry group roundabout are stupidly narrow. A McDonald’s drive thru lane would be wider.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yeah the roads on approach and from the Kerry group roundabout are stupidly narrow. A McDonald’s drive thru lane would be wider.

Having walked them they do seem quite narrow, given how much space single lanes are given further down the road beyond Sallins, it does seem crazy.

You are right there is more than just top dressing to do, but only on the section around the Osberstown overbridge, approximately 500 metres of distance from the curve towards the 9a interchange along to the opposite side of the railway overbridge. Maybe there will be delays, but to be honest if they can't get that 500m section, completely separated from traffic, finished within 2 months I'll be very disappointed.

pad199207 wrote: »
    I think they deliberately make them narrow in a misguided attempt at "traffic calming", they did the same when they built the M6 at Kilbeggan, but were forced to widen the link road by about 1metre a year later.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

I think they deliberately make them narrow in a misguided attempt at "traffic calming"

I would agree that this was the idea alright. There was a couple of slips in the original designs but these seem to have been dropped as there will now be a 1000+ pupil school a stons throw from the J9a exit. They will need to calm traffic for this alone.

This change of design resulted in the wrong singage on Kerry Group approach last year as it showed the slip on that side in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

At the m7 m9 merge there is a wide area in between the concrete dividing walls.
    This is filled with stone as far as I can make out.
    Is there any technical reason they didn’t plant trees here, eg the roots could interfere with the road surface etc.
    From an environmental POV it seems like a missed opportunity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

tom1ie wrote: »
    At the m7 m9 merge there is guitar a wide area in between the concrete dividing walls.
    This is filled with stone as far as I can make out.
    Is there any technical reason they didn’t plant trees here, eg the roots could interfere with the road surface etc.
    From an environmental POV it seems like a missed opportunity?

A couple of trees surrounded by an ocean of tarmac is of zero environmental benefit.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    A couple of trees surrounded by an ocean of tarmac is of zero environmental benefit.

It wouldn’t be a couple of trees.

I asked was there a technical reason it couldn’t be done? Which you didn’t answer.

If it's filled with stone, it is probably drainage, so they will not want vegetation in there as it will disrupt the drainage properties of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I asked was there a technical reason it couldn’t be done? Which you didn’t answer.

I was pointing out that a small number of trees isolated from everything by concrete walls and multiple motorway lanes is of no environmental benefit. It is not conducive to promoting flora or fauna, not would you want them as they could be safety hazards or cause maintenance issues. If the goal is to have more trees, we have plenty of space where they can be of more environmental benefit in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I was pointing out that a small number of trees isolated from everything by concrete walls and multiple motorway lanes is of no environmental benefit. It is not conducive to promoting flora or fauna, not would you want them as they could be safety hazards or cause maintenance issues. If the goal is to have more trees, we have plenty of space where they can be of more environmental benefit in this country.

It would be good to have more bushes/tress as dividers though as they have at the Portlaoise exits - reduced glare from the other side at night and no rubber-necking if something happens.

• Advertisement

If it's filled with stone, it is probably drainage, so they will not want vegetation in there as it will disrupt the drainage properties of the area.

Thanks for the answer.

You said a couple of trees not a small number of trees:

“A couple of trees surrounded by an ocean of tarmac is of zero environmental benefit.”

You mentioned safety and Maintainence issues in your second comment.

Anyway the question has been answered by another poster.

Cheerio.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I can't think of a single reason why you would plant trees there. Totally unsuitable for the trees and branches would be too close to passing vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

Minister for transport.. who can’t help!
    TD who apparently asks the wrong person..��
    No answers for the tax payer.. what a country!

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2020-11-12/32/?highlight%5B0%5D=covid

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

No answers for the tax payer.. what a country!............

The minister did help & directed the TD to KCC who may answer - drop the despondency :D

Has anyone local seen what kind of progress is being made on the bypass recently? Haven't been in the area in a while for a look! Observing the 5k limit! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

No answers for the tax payer.. what a country!

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2020-11-12/32/?highlight%5B0%5D=covid

I’m not sure having a green as a transport minister is a good idea. The greens have their own agenda, & I’m not convinced that agenda is in the public’s interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭millb

Has anyone local seen what kind of progress is being made on the bypass recently? Haven't been in the area in a while for a look! Observing the 5k limit! :-)
    The contractors are working away. The focus seems to be around Osberstown. The black top is being done here. Seems like the stretch from the rail-underbridge needs to be finished. Tar-bitumen machines visible.

The adjacent local roads are open.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I’m not sure having a green as a transport minister is a good idea. The greens have their own agenda, & I’m not convinced that agenda is in the public’s interest.

he Green agenda is important if we are to meet our climate targets, and that should be in the public's interest so we avoid huge fines. Transport is not just building roads so more cars can turn them into car parks.

Currently money is being made available for greenways.

Anyway, let's hope they finish this much delayed M7 project soon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There's a super junior Minister (Hildegarde Naughton-FG) who has responsibility for Roads, Air and Sea. Basically the elements of transport policy that are strategically important for the State and are best kept at arms length from the Green Party.

• Advertisement

millb wrote: »
    The contractors are working away. The focus seems to be around Osberstown. The black top is being done here. Seems like the stretch from the rail-underbridge needs to be finished. Tar-bitumen machines visible.

The adjacent local roads are open.

They are tipping away slowly. {The cynic in me figures they will be looking for extra hours over (and no benefit in finishing before) Christmas to finish}

below are some Monday photos of the last stretch nr Osberstown.

https://i.imgur.com/FUd7ab7.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/1wdZYuf.jpg

M7 Traffic in the background......

https://i.imgur.com/Dq5UR2B.jpg
    This photo New Sallins exit / bypass with Grand Canal overbridge in the background

How long would putting in the required central median/armcos, bike lane surfacing, line painting etc. take once the final layer of tarmac goes down? I assume that is only a few days’ work? Is there more to do than that? Could we still see it open in 2020?

They are tipping away slowly. {The cynic in me figures they will be looking for extra hours over (and no benefit in finishing before) Christmas to finish}

below are some Monday photos of the last stretch nr Osberstown.

https://i.imgur.com/FUd7ab7.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/1wdZYuf.jpg

M7 Traffic in the background......

https://i.imgur.com/Dq5UR2B.jpg
    This photo New Sallins exit / bypass with Grand Canal overbridge in the background

Yeah looking a lot more 'done' than it was when I was on it 2 weeks ago, I expected this section to get finished relatively quick. I'd say they will be getting very near to finishing touches by the end of November

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Some new drone based pics from local photographer Ben Kelly.
    I drive over the new osberstown bridge everyday myself. It's gone from a mud path to almost been ready for tarmac and just a couple of weeks. I also saw a couple of workers at the Kerry group roundabout removing some of the fencing this week too. Hope we are inside the night last 6-8 weeks!

https://www.facebook.com/131656066911750/posts/3462751887135468/

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Some new drone based pics from local photographer Ben Kelly.
    I drive over the new osberstown bridge everyday myself. It's gone from a mud path to almost been ready for tarmac and just a couple of weeks. I also saw a couple of workers at the Kerry group roundabout removing some of the fencing this week too. Hope we are inside the night last 6-8 weeks!

https://www.facebook.com/131656066911750/posts/3462751887135468/

Updated photos from today

x6kaPtc.jpg

5KRSvRZ

x6kaPtc.jpg[IMG][/img]

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

Thanks for the photo. That project appears to be nowhere close to completion in the clos period.
    Unless it was lunchtime, if that section of the bypass is the only one to be finished, It's not reassuring that there's only a skeleton staff working on site.
    It's a pity that they managed to make a poo poo of a straight forward project

(disclaimer, I am not a builder or a road engineer but have common sense)

regedit wrote: »
    Thanks for the photo. That project appears to be nowhere close to completion in the clos period.
    Unless it was lunchtime, if that section of the bypass is the only one to be finished, It's not reassuring that there's only a skeleton staff working on site.
    It's a pity that they managed to make a poo poo of a straight forward project

(disclaimer, I am not a builder or a road engineer but have common sense)

I don't know if we are looking at the same road to be honest, that looks like it will be finished within a week or two to me, base layer is almost entirely down, under tarmac layer on top of that (The rest of the route has it already) and then the wearing course which should be a day or two for the whole thing with no traffic on it. Plenty of finishing work to be done with planting etc but that is always ongoing when these projects open.

I don't know if we are looking at the same road to be honest, that looks like it will be finished within a week or two to me, base layer is almost entirely down, under tarmac layer on top of that (The rest of the route has it already) and then the wearing course which should be a day or two for the whole thing with no traffic on it. Plenty of finishing work to be done with planting etc but that is always ongoing when these projects open.

Based on the previous photo I posted they are halfway through that final stretch of roadway. So ~2 weeks to complete same. There is a cycle lane and a good bit of slope-drainage / landscaping /planting to tidy off as well. Painting and maybe some barrier type / road signage completion ...... I'd say it's a toss as to whether they will open before or after Christmas. Fellas like the extra payments / keep job security etc. when holidays arrive and things may slow a bit..

Based on the previous photo I posted they are halfway through that final stretch of roadway. So ~2 weeks to complete same. There is a cycle lane and a good bit of slope-drainage / landscaping /planting to tidy off as well. Painting and maybe some barrier type / road signage completion ...... I'd say it's a toss as to whether they will open before or after Christmas. Fellas like the extra payments / keep job security etc. when holidays arrive and things may slow a bit..

Oh yeah, at this stage a toss up if it will open before Christmas, but it definitely isn't as far away as made out above.

• Advertisement

Latest opening date according to M7 upgrade website is “on schedule” for February 2021.
    http://www.m7upgrade.com/
    http://www.m7upgrade.com/

Advertisement