Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many units of alcohol a week do you drink?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

That food looks foul fowl.

:)

Patww79 wrote: »
    A bowl like that can make any situation paradise.

Oh yes, with hot sauce and lots of salt ~ and buckets of cold beers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

Oh yes, with hot sauce and lots of salt ~ and buckets of cold beers :D

I'd say that hop house will be gone soon. Rotten :P:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Impossible to not be overweight drinking most nights surely??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

That's just your opinion.

I love drinking alone with Lyric FM on beside me and a good book.

If I'm in the mood for something to eat I'll take my book to my local for a few scoops and a bowl of hot chicken wings and a basket of chips.

After 25 years nixxering as a bouncer and barman this is pure paradise for me.

466310.jpg

That you Robert McCall?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

That's just your opinion.

I love drinking alone with Lyric FM on beside me and a good book.

If I'm in the mood for something to eat I'll take my book to my local for a few scoops and a bowl of hot chicken wings and a basket of chips.

After 25 years nixxering as a bouncer and barman this is pure paradise for me.

466310.jpg

Will you see old age though?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

No. It causes a huge amount of damage for some people.

Well thats completely true, but millions of people around the world die of alcohol related deaths annually, either through overdose and addiction, suicide, accidents,violence, or long term health issues over drinking causes.And when you think about it thats really sad that so many millions of years of life are unlived because of a drink that doesnt need to be drank in the first place Society would probably be better off if it had never existed, even thoguh Im a big fan of a bit of drink every week myself

I drink about 12 units a week in binge drink form all on a friday or a saturday..Im cutting it down to 9 units every 2-3 weeks now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

wakka12 wrote: »
    Well thats completely true, but millions of people around the world die of alcohol related deaths annually, either through overdose and addiction, suicide, accidents,violence, or long term health issues over drinking causes.And when you think about it thats really sad that so many millions of years of life are unlived because of a drink that doesnt need to be drank in the first place Society would probably be better off if it had never existed, even thoguh Im a big fan of a bit of drink every week myself

I drink about 12 units a week in binge drink form all on a friday or a saturday..Im cutting it down to 9 units every 2-3 weeks now though.

That's their problem though.

• Advertisement

Impossible to not be overweight drinking most nights surely??

For some people yes, they would pile on a ton of weight.

For other people no, they wouldn't gain a pound and might even lose weight.

All depends on the metabolism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

For some people yes, they would pile on a ton of weight.

For other people no, they wouldn't gain a pound and might even lose weight.

All depends on the metabolism.

I’d say it depends on how much is eaten. A “fast metabolism” can’t hide 1000 kcal a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I drink between 6 and 8 times per year, sometimes less. I have no interest in it being a nightly or weekly thing and I really don't care about people who do drink nightly or weekly so long as nobody takes the "OHMYGOD, you don't drink" approach with me. My husband drinks even less than I do, more money for nice things:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

It's that beer drinking low-class riff-raff that is the problem loud and pi*sing everywhere.

sesn40.jpg

I'd say that hop house will be gone soon. Rotten :P:pac:

Again, that's just your opinion. I love the stuff, but I don't always drink Hop House

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

It's that beer drinking low-class riff-raff that is the problem loud and pi*sing everywhere.

sesn40.jpg

- that Champagne came from Lidl

(I know because I have a bottle in my press at the minute, that I will give as a present next weekend)

• Advertisement

80 units is like 5 or 6 pints Monday-Friday- Friday, 10 pints Saturday.

I know people who drink at least 200 units a week. U notice it a lot more in the country pubs than citiy pubs.

Its not that much.

80 units is quite a lot, the people doing 200 a week are outliers and doing a lot of damage to their body ,undeniably, and shouldnt use them as guideline of what is 'too much'!

If you drink more than 20 units a week its too much and you are putting yourself at higher risk of damahing your body from alcohol and thats just the way it is unfortunately! Its backed up by thousands of studies and theres just no getting around it if you care about your health, no matter how many people you know who drink crazy amounts

El Tarangu wrote: »
    - that Champagne came from Lidl

(I know because I have a bottle in my press at the minute, that I will give as a present next weekend)

Duh that's the joke.

Just about to drink this one and see if I survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

On average, maybe 2/3 unit a week, drink maybe 13 times a year.

But the amount of women in their 50's that I know who drink a bottle or 2 of wine a night isn't even funny.

A work colleague will have maybe 12 bottles a wine in a week and maybe a shoulder of vodka too.

And she wonders why her anti-depressants aren't working...genuinely scary:(

80 units are quite a lot, the people doing 200 a week are outliers and doing a lot of damage to their body, undeniably, and shouldn't use them as a guideline of what is 'too much'!

If you drink more than 20 units a week its too much and you are putting yourself at higher risk of damaging your body from alcohol and that's just the way it is, unfortunately! Its backed up by thousands of studies and there's just no getting around it if you care about your health, no matter how many people you know who drink crazy amounts

That's not that much really.

Beavis.jpg?w968h681

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    On average, maybe 2/3 unit a week, drink maybe 13 times a year.

But the amount of women in their 50's that I know who drink a bottle or 2 of wine a night isn't even funny.

A work colleague will have maybe 12 bottles a wine in a week and maybe a shoulder of vodka too.

And she wonders why her anti-depressants aren't working...genuinely scary:(

If she is bad now wait until the MUP comes into effect.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

I go out approx 4 times a year. Apart from that 0 alcohol.

I’d never drink on my own though, that’s just sad

Judging by this I’d guess you’re quite young. Nothing wrong or “sad” about having a drink after a hard days work. You’ll understand when you’re a bit older. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Arrah I wouldn't be fond of drinking, but when I do go at it, I do go at it awful and very hard. I'd have about 45 pints in about 2 hours, and I'd have an aul packet a crips then or an aul packet eh eh peanuts, and I'd...ah I'd have 3 more anyway. And I'd get up in the morning then, and Maureen'd have the fry on.

And I'd go at it again. And I tell ya one thing, there'd be no fückin stopping me. I'd drink the shirt off any man's back.

Bastards.

45 pints in 2 hours? Thats impressive speed! And you must have a very deep wallet

45 pints in 2 hours? Thats impressive speed! And you must have a very deep wallet

I think he is lying I bet he barely even downs 35 in that two hours.:p

edit and a big bladder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

marketty wrote: »
    Arrah I wouldn't be fond of drinking, but when I do go at it, I do go at it awful and very hard. I'd have about 45 pints in about 2 hours, and I'd have an aul packet a crips then or an aul packet eh eh peanuts, and I'd...ah I'd have 3 more anyway. And I'd get up in the morning then, and Maureen'd have the fry on.

And I'd go at it again. And I tell ya one thing, there'd be no fückin stopping me. I'd drink the shirt off any man's back.

Bastards.

"The fry". With or without tomato?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

30 and over. A bit too much, but I ****ng love beer.

0 units for wine or spirits, no interest in anything other than a nice cold beer or 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Some weeks zero
    Some weeks 10-15
    Some weeks 20+

Depends. I did a sober October there with ease. Once it was over I had quite a few drinks over the first week/10 days of November. I've tapered off again though.

I might have some wine tomorrow evening, or I could easily be into December before I have a drink again.

I know plenty of people who can't do this and would struggle to go more than a week without drinking. It's a problem over here. (I'm 30 btw, most of my friends would be inside 25-35 age bracket.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

12 units so far this week, including the 5 I'm drinking tonight. (2 bottles of Tyskie-why don't we have a Pole? :pac:)

Pherekydes wrote: »
    12 units so far this week, including the 5 I'm drinking tonight. (2 bottles of Tyskie-why don't we have a Pole? :pac:)

I hit a pole once but I had a good excuse I was Russian at the time.:P

• Advertisement

That's their problem though.

Except unless you live in a bubble this worldview is, of course, arrant balderdash. It's far more than their problem when drunken bastard crashes into some innocent person, or smashes the face off their partner or children or launches a drunken attack on innocent people on the street, or clogs up our health system with their self-inflicted idiocy or contributes to the billions already lost to the economy in drink-related work absences and mistakes or ...

Another idiot. Not everyone who has a drink causes enormous damage to anyone.

Still struggling with the old English comprehension there I see, Pat.
    Fools like that don't mean we're all the same though.

And again. God bless us but you certainly have an affinity for the strawman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Still struggling with the old English comprehension there I see, Pat.

And again. God bless us but you certainly have an affinity for the strawman.

The strawman word has made an appearance already. Boards arguing by numbers, you're getting lazy.

Like I said, I cause no issues when I drink and that's all I have to worry about.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Will you see old age though?!

Oh I see old age all around me, but if you're talking about me personally well I run at a minimum 30km a week (I throw in a Parkrun.ie or charity event on the weekend), I cycle 40km every day, I'm a Judo black belt with a number of national championship titles and have represented Ireland.

My job involves an annual medical and a requirement to pass a fitness test, I'm also 52 yrs old.. So I'll ask you, what will you be doing at my age?.

I enjoy a beer, a book and a bowl of chicken wings (don't forget the hot sauce and plenty of salt) on occasion, what's your indulgence?.

I have my health issues but none too serious, at 52 and a very active life style most of us will.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Generally have two bottles early in the day, one with breakfast, one at 11am. Often have one with lunch too and generally have about six pints of an evening in the pub. Good bit more on Sat and Sunday, go down after having a bit of food, about twoish, and stay till midnight or so. Maybe up to 120 units a week, but I don’t drive or have many other hobbies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Theres nothing wrong with nightly drinking so long as its 3-4 units, its the amount that is bad not how often or when you drink alcohol!

I thought they are saying now that daily drinking is the highest risk factor for liver disease, even in relatively moderate amounts? The advice is to have 2-3 consecutive alcohol free days a week at least.

I don't drink at all on weeknights usually. A glass of wine with dinner if we go out maybe. Share a bottle or 2 with the husband on one of the weekend nights. I think that's too much though. Think I'll cut it out altogether in the new year for a few months at least.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I thought they are saying now that daily drinking is the highest risk factor for liver disease, even in relatively moderate amounts? The advice is to have 2-3 consecutive alcohol free days a week at least.

I don't drink at all on weeknights usually. A glass of wine with dinner if we go out maybe. Share a bottle or 2 with the husband on one of the weekend nights. I think that's too much though. Think I'll cut it out altogether in the new year for a few months at least.

Drinking 2 units or less per day has been widely shown to have pretty much no negative health impacts
    What they say seems to change yearly though, used to have some apparent health benefits to drinking very lightly but apparently thats been ruled out now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Would buy a fridge pack of a Friday and drink it over the wknd so 16 units most weeks. This is a massive reduction as I used to drink every evening. I got in to fitness and weights in particular a while back and I know the drink is killing my progress so I might try to knock it on the head soon, it’s really only a habit at this stage.

I used to be a wicked binge drinker if I’m out or if there is something on, probably because the gang I grew up with are big drinkers. A big night out wipes my energy for days now so I try to limit these excursions to a few times a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I'm t totally pissed

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

I've knocked drinking on the head dramatically over the last two years or so. Gone from drinking almost nightly to happily going two or three months without a single drink. Just prefer to be clear headed and not hungover these days, tis better for the mind and body, and the wallet too I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

marketty wrote: »

Bastards.

Well holy god the pint man Paddy Losty alive and well. Mad for the 45 pints and crips he is. (No not crisps, crips)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Very little. I'm drinking maybe once every 2-3 months at the moment. Averaged out, 2 units per week tops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

None... not a drop, not an iota...

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Drinking 2 units or less per day has been widely shown to have pretty much no negative health impacts.

Actually, in a well-publicised extensive study in 2018 the advice is that, by a long shot and contrary to the previous view, avoiding alcohol entirely is the healthiest option.

How much alcohol is too much? The science is shifting.
    Researchers are changing how they study the risks of alcohol — and it’s making drinking look worse.... In September, a World Health Organization report found an estimated 3 million people die every year because of alcohol consumption. That’s 5 percent of all deaths. Booze is also a leading risk factor for early death and disability among people aged 15 and 49.

In April, a big meta-study involving 600,000 participants, published in April in the Lancet, suggested that levels of alcohol previously thought to be relatively harmless are linked with an earlier death. What’s more, drinking small amounts of alcohol may not carry all the long-touted protective effects on the cardiovascular system...

'No alcohol safe to drink, global study confirms'
    Bad news for those who enjoy what they think is a healthy glass of wine a day.

A large new global study published in the Lancet has confirmed previous research which has shown that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption.

The researchers admit moderate drinking may protect against heart disease but found that the risk of cancer and other diseases outweighs these protections.

A study author said its findings were the most significant to date because of the range of factors considered...

'A new study says any amount of alcohol is bad for you'
    ... “The evidence is adding up that no amount of drinking is safe,” says study co-author Emmanuela Gakidou, a professor of global health and health metrics sciences at the University of Washington. “I don’t think we’re going out on a limb to say anything that the data do not support.”

The new research was based on a review of nearly 700 existing studies on global drinking prevalence and nearly 600 studies on alcohol and health, and found that alcohol was the seventh leading risk factor for premature death in 2016, contributing to 2.8 million deaths worldwide. That number is equivalent to 2.2% of all female deaths and 6.8% of all male deaths that year, according to the study.

The health risks likely only increase the more you drink, the study found. Compared to non-drinkers, people who had one alcoholic beverage per day had a 0.5% higher risk of developing one of 23 alcohol-related health problems, including cancer, road injuries and tuberculosis, in a given year, the study says...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I read the above too and think it is accurate. Alcohol is at base a poison.

I have some kind of allergy as even a sip has a terrible effect .

And the effect on one of my neighbours would put anyone off for life.. I literally did not recognise him when he was drunk. Thought we had a new, mentally and physically handicapped resident. When I asked who it was my neighbours were stunned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

That's a hard one for me to estimate - I might not drink any alcohol for a couple of weeks, then maybe have 2 pints on a night out, or maybe have one at home sharing with the husband.
    If I looked at an average over a year, I'd guess somewhere less than 1 unit a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

24 units of Bulmers every month, 1 sitting

25 to 30 units would be pretty much the minimum. Could regularly get up to 60+ though on heavy weeks when there is events on (weddings, bank holidays, birthday days etc etc) and weeks like Christmas etc could see 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭oceanman

about 60 units a week on average, more at times like Christmas ect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement