Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fraud in the Dail

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

every nation gets the government it deserves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not a chance. RTE investigates exposed 3 local politicians last year before the local elections, all 3 were re-elected.

Free publicity, far more valuable than any number of election posters or house calls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

Not a chance. RTE investigates exposed 3 local politicians last year before the local elections, all 3 were re-elected.

Topped the polls in fact, and no meaningful charges, no meaningful repercussions, no meaningful sanctions.

Sad fact is, Irish people love their dodgy politicians and their white collar crimes.

Also you'd never find RTE "investigates" ( lol ) doing any sting operation on any meaningful politicians or business people, just some unconnected rural county Councillor gombeens.

Maybe we should have another 10 year tribunal . . the next generation of Irish legal "professionals" could do with millions of taxpayers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

People often say we get the politicians we deserve. Why oh why are the people of Kerry voting for these people. Well they can only vote for the ones on the ballot paper. It doesn't matter how few people vote for them as long as they get a quota of what voted. Until we get a none of the above option we'll be stuck with the 3, 4 or 5 gob****es with the highest vote.

Sure the Healy-Raes will take 2-3 seats in the next election. They won't have any serious opposition. And Kerry isn't unique. Most constituencies have extremely uninspiring ballot papers. Take Tipperary for example. On the next ballot paper we'll have Mattie McGrath, Michael Lowery and Seamus Healy. Three of the worst gombeen independents you could find. And to compound things apparently both Mattie and Lowery are each thinking of running one of their children in the hope of taking another seat. Fianna Fail are running Jackie Cahill (who may well have died since the last election. He hasn't been seen in at least 3 years) and two gender quota female candidates who honest to God have less of a public profile than the possibly dead Cahill. Fine Gael are running Kate O'Connell's sister (who also happens to be Maria Bailey's bestie) on the basis that the elite rich Dublin set need another TD and she is the only one of them who may have visited Tipperary in the past (possibly on a school tour). And then finally we have Alan Kelly. Angry Alan is probably the best of them and certainly the only one likely to get a ministerial job in the next 20 years. But he is the kind of hot headed shoot from the hip lad I wouldn't trust to look after my goldfish nevermind my country. I'm sure we'll have another 4 or 5 single issue candidates and no hopers from the likes of SF Rise, SD, STD, KFC and whatever other splinter left parties pop up over the next few months.

So let's say some of that lot get caught up in the voting scandal or the expenses scandal or whatever the next TD scandal is that comes along. What difference will it make of they are the only names on the ballot paper. 5 of them will still get elected no matter what. Now read back through that list of names and think 5 of that lot are guaranteed seats in the Dail because they are the only names on the ballot. We need a none of the above option on the ballot paper where any candidate still unelected when "none of the above" gets enough votes to fill the remaining seats is automatically eliminated and they are then barred from running in the subsequent by-election to fill the vacant seats. Do that and parties will have to start to seek out and run the sort of quality candidates we deserve to have represent us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

touts wrote: »
    People often say we get the politicians we deserve. Why oh why are the people of Kerry voting for these people. Well they can only vote for the ones on the ballot paper. It doesn't matter how few people vote for them as long as they get a quota of what voted. Until we get a none of the above option we'll be stuck with the 3, 4 or 5 gob****es with the highest vote.

Sure the Healy-Raes will take 2-3 seats in the next election. They won't have any serious opposition. And Kerry isn't unique. Most constituencies have extremely uninspiring ballot papers. Take Tipperary for example. On the next ballot paper we'll have Mattie McGrath, Michael Lowery and Seamus Healy. Three of the worst gombeen independents you could find. And to compound things apparently both Mattie and Lowery are each thinking of running one of their children in the hope of taking another seat. Fianna Fail are running Jackie Cahill (who may well have died since the last election. He hasn't been seen in at least 3 years) and two gender quota female candidates who honest to God have less of a public profile than the possibly dead Cahill. Fine Gael are running Kate O'Connell's sister (who also happens to be Maria Bailey's bestie) on the basis that the elite rich Dublin set need another TD and she is the only one of them who may have visited Tipperary in the past (possibly on a school tour). And then finally we have Alan Kelly. Angry Alan is probably the best of them and certainly the only one likely to get a ministerial job in the next 20 years. But he is the kind of hot headed shoot from the hip lad I wouldn't trust to look after my goldfish nevermind my country. I'm sure we'll have another 4 or 5 single issue candidates and no hopers from the likes of SF Rise, SD, STD, KFC and whatever other splinter left parties pop up over the next few months.

So let's say some of that lot get caught up in the voting scandal or the expenses scandal or whatever the next TD scandal is that comes along. What difference will it make of they are the only names on the ballot paper. 5 of them will still get elected no matter what. Now read back through that list of names and think 5 of that lot are guaranteed seats in the Dail because they are the only names on the ballot. We need a none of the above option on the ballot paper where any candidate still unelected when "none of the above" gets enough votes to fill the remaining seats is automatically eliminated and they are then barred from running in the subsequent by-election to fill the vacant seats. Do that and parties will have to start to seek out and run the sort of quality candidates we deserve to have represent us.

Or run yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The reason they vote for them is because they know they're crooks and if they can get away with enriching themselves through fraud in Dublin then they can also get something for the constituents from Dublin too. It's completely wrong of course, people with that level of narcissism, will only ever enrich themselves and might in fact even hinder those closest to them in order to maintain control. And the poor naive fools cannot face a reality where they have been complicit in their own loss. So it will continue and the man in Dublin or Brussels will be the convenient enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I know two people who were sacked in the hse this year after 25 years service because one of them used the others swipe to make it appear they were in work while actually at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Certain Kerry TD caught for fraud. Not like voting for your friend or double voting but getting SOMEONE ELSE to fob you in to claim expenses, while you are at home. Why no major outcry?

This will be explained away the same way Enda Kenny's support base have tried to do for him.

Healy Rays in Dublin/Kerry at the same time.

Kenny in Zurich/Dublin, or London/Dublin at the same time.

Life of Reilly these lads have, they're milking us dry as taxpayers, and we turn a blind eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

biko wrote: »
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

The 'fear of losing power' causes the greatest corruption of all....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Someone should make a formal complaint to the Gardai. It would have to be investigated! Is that not so? I personally think they are making fools of us all.
    Nope, rules allow them to log in all day and while the House is open. He's certainly chancing his arm but there is nothing illegal at work. Even if he were doing it dishonestly, it's not a crime and they'd just make him pay it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I know two people who were sacked in the hse this year after 25 years service because one of them used the others swipe to make it appear they were in work while actually at home.
    And quite right too but what's missing here is actual proof. The rules need to be changed on TDs being able to claim the TAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Certain Kerry TD caught for fraud. Not like voting for your friend or double voting but getting SOMEONE ELSE to fob you in to claim expenses, while you are at home. Why no major outcry?
    he says he was there that morning https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/1104/1088615-michael-healy-rae-attendance/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Surely the fob records the time as well. Would love to see the time it was recorded at

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

if they can use the fob for attendance, they can use it for voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Tip of the Iceberg.

Surely the fob records the time as well. Would love to see the time it was recorded at
    a journalist asked and was told it was commercially sensitive information of the company whos fobbing things it is https://twitter.com/kenfoxe/status/1191089702033612801

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Most people in there are fraudulent Irish men, if you support London rule in Ulster and orange culture you are a shame to your ancestors

^^^

Wha:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭poppers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭onetimecypher

Ah, they got to him already

• Advertisement

poppers wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1191353275578228736

Gavin backtracking on his original story.

well originally it was Kevin Doyle's story in the Indo, who is not quite as contrite https://twitter.com/KevDoyle_Indo/status/1191335492048044035

the media really do shoot themselves in the foot sometimes, ie re Michael Healy-Rae, making unsure claims just deadens the whole story (just as they did with the supposed missing/voting ministers names plastered on frontpages, based on partial video coverage).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

On Kerry radio Michael Healy's Rae said that he would furnish them with proof of the time he left Dublin that morning (the toll time from his journey down). I haven't heard of him doing this. I assume he hasn't? And there's an obvious reason he hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭joeguevara

blue note wrote: »
    On Kerry radio Michael Healy's Rae said that he would furnish them with proof of the time he left Dublin that morning (the toll time from his journey down). I haven't heard of him doing this. I assume he hasn't? And there's an obvious reason he hasn't.

Not on his side but it would take time to get that from the toll company. He wouldn't have that information or would it be on an online account?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I get a statement monthly emailed to me from the toll tag company with the times/dates details of all trips.

It's very clear.

I get a statement monthly emailed to me from the toll tag company with the times/dates details of all trips.

It's very clear.

Oh yes I get you. As this is from a long time ago the statement should already be in possession. I suppose clarification is needed as to whether it was provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

blue note wrote: »
    You would assume, likely correctly, that he's a liar.

Has anyone else being named that are in the firing line?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

If people were accusing me of what they're accusing him of I would certainly bring the evidence of my innocence forward. Who knows why he hasn't.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

a journalist asked and was told it was commercially sensitive information of the company whos fobbing things it is https://twitter.com/kenfoxe/status/1191089702033612801
    It's section 27 of the UK Act, not the Irish Act... that's section 36. Muppets can't even get that right :rolleyes:

That's ignoring the fact that it's not commercially sensitive of course.

• Advertisement

joeguevara wrote: »
    Has anyone else being named that are in the firing line?

Enda Kenny on multiple occasions.

Advertisement