Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraud in the Dail

Options
  • 03-11-2019 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Certain Kerry TD caught for fraud. Not like voting for your friend or double voting but getting SOMEONE ELSE to fob you in to claim expenses, while you are at home. Why no major outcry?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

If you believe an Irish politician you will believe anything. The vast majority, if not all of them, are scum.
    I worked with enough of them to know.

A large element of Irish society love dodgy politicians . . they regularly top the polls and always have.

There is little to zero laws against white collar crime in Ireland, and even less enforcement / deterrent / consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Certain Kerry TD caught for fraud. Not like voting for your friend or double voting but getting SOMEONE ELSE to fob you in to claim expenses, while you are at home. Why no major outcry?

One of the Healy-Rea's?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Saw a Green Party member buying coal today and fairly sure it wasn't smokeless. Is that fraud or hypocrisy...?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

He fixed the road etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

They all commit fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Nothing will happen.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

biko wrote: »
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

Nothing great about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

high_king wrote: »
    Nothing great about them.

Its just hard to see their mediocrity when you look at Brexit and Trump.

But they are pretty ****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

He fixed the road etc

All of them :)

And he attended a funeral. Very important in Kerry. More important than being honest and having integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Ivor callely was imprisoned for expenses fraud.

Is there a source OP?

It's behind a pay wall so couldn't read it. Anywhere else? If true (I'm not doubting) it will be major.

joeguevara wrote: »
    It's behind a pay wall so couldn't read it. Anywhere else? If true (I'm not doubting) it will be major.

Just register. It's free or read below . Source INM.

Let's start with a hard truth: they are not all at it. The string of "gates" to hit our political classes in recent months has been very damaging for public trust.

It would be easy to dismiss "Swing-gate", "Votegate" and now "Fobgate" as evidence that corruption is rife and no one is to be trusted.

However, to do so would be a great disservice to our democracy and would also let those who are "at it" away scot-free.

While the House of Commons shouldn't be used as a basic barometer against which to judge our TDs, we are not badly served in this country.

A majority of Dáil deputies work hard, both in Leinster House and in their constituencies.

But a can of worms has been opened and, weirdly, it will fall to the TDs to try to close it again.

Maria Bailey's compensation claim over a fall from a swing is an isolated incident that has seen a small number of politicians dragged over the coals.

But the revelations about widespread phantom voting in the Oireachtas have brought the entire system into disrepute.

It has exposed a harsh reality, which is that a Government operating under confidence and supply doesn't give a toss about losing votes.

Every week, different opposition parties put down motions calling for policy change on climate action, agriculture, taxation and so on.

As a result, the topic gets a brief mention at Cabinet and ministers decide whether it is worth fighting the latest Opposition whim or not. Very often they simply decide to abstain on the vote when it comes before the Dáil.

Opposition TDs will appear in the media to declare "the will of the Dáil" but it's largely meaningless because the Government ignores them.

It is this sense of "insignificance" that led TDs to start flouting basic rules such as the idea that they should be present and voting.

Fianna Fáil's Lisa Chambers said she didn't think there was any need to correct the record after she voted twice because it didn't matter.

The events inside the chamber have now led us to look at the wider behaviour of TDs in Leinster House, in particular their attendance records and ability to claim lucrative expenses. It is the first time since the current system was introduced in 2010 that there has been any genuine effort to investigate its operation.

The "clock-in" system was brought in because the old unvouched expenses scheme was seen as open to abuse.

Now it seems the newer version isn't watertight either. TDs must be in Leinster House for at least 120 days to qualify for payments worth up to €34,000 annually. To prove their presence, they swipe a fob in front of one of more than 20 electronic scanners.

But there is no way of knowing who actually did the "clocking in". Could it be a secretary? A parliamentary assistance? Another TD?

And there is no process for "clocking out". The gates of Leinster House open at 7.30am, so in theory a TD could sign in then, leave the engine running and be on the road within minutes.

Michael Healy-Rae is caught in a bind by our story that shows he managed to attend a funeral in Sneem and clock in at Leinster House on the same day.

He has yet to explain how this bilocation is possible, but he is unlikely to be the only TD with questions to answer.

The colourful Independent is just the one unlucky enough to get caught out.

The Oireachtas has been slow to acknowledge a problem with the rules too loose.

At the best of times, our TDs get a bad rap for being "dodgy" or "in it for themselves". Only they can change that perception.

In the meantime, the Oireachtas must instigate reforms so that we can trust the system even if we don't trust the politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This was reported on yesterday.
    Loads of sources if you search google.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why not have the balls to name her?

tuxy wrote: »
    This was reported on yesterday.
    Loads of sources if you search google.

Just read them. If it transpires that any politician knowingly claimed expenses fraudulently then there is precedent with Callely.

Is there a public procedure on how this (I mean in general) would be investigated?

Allinall wrote: »
    Why not have the balls to name her?

Her?

Her?

who cares, other than a bit of hand waving, nothing's going to come of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Someone should make a formal complaint to the Gardai. It would have to be investigated! Is that not so? I personally think they are making fools of us all.

Unfortunately such matters are often left to the electorate to sort out.
    I expect Michaels popularity within his constituency to skyrocket if a big deal is made of this.
    If someone gets voted in for promising to act like a "cute hoor", don't be surprised when they do just that.

Maybe maybe not. We have precedent for td going to prison for similar. It would take a politician who has never done the same to drive it.

Someone should make a formal complaint to the Gardai. It would have to be investigated! Is that not so? I personally think they are making fools of us all.

Is this a criminal matter, has a law been broken?
    I don't believe so but I'm unsure.

Unfortunately such matters are often left to the electorate to sort out.
    I expect Michaels popularity within his constituency to skyrocket if a big deal is made of this.
    If someone gets voted in for promising to act like a "cute hoor", don't be surprised when they do just that.

don't panic, nothing surprises me any more regarding Irish politicians and what the Irish electorate vote for.

Is this a criminal matter, has a law been broken?
    I don't believe so but I'm unsure.

We don't know as it is an accusation.

If public money was received by nefarious way then yes
    It is a crime. Simply logging in when you weren't there isn't a crime but logging in when you weren't there to receive payment would.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

If you claim expenses under false pretenses then in my view it is a criminal matters he only reason to sign in is for expense claims. If you did so in the private sector sackable offense!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Personally I'd love if this was to be the end of the likes of the Healy-Raes, Lowry and the other me-feiner simpletons.

But I have no faith in the electorate actually dealing with these morons at the ballot box. And thus the circle of idiots shall continue.

Hakuna Matata.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

What's all the pussy footing about. Simply say it was widely reported in the press that Michael Healy Rae somehow clocked into work at the Dail and claimed expenses as such at the same time that he was also at a Funeral in Kerry. Let the balding **** sue over that statement of fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Necro wrote: »
    Personally I'd love if this was to be the end of the likes of the Healy-Raes, Lowry and the other me-feiner simpletons.

But I have no faith in the electorate actually dealing with these morons at the ballot box. And thus the circle of idiots shall continue.

Hakuna Matata.
    Not a chance. RTE investigates exposed 3 local politicians last year before the local elections, all 3 were re-elected.

Advertisement