Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Think the point made by Reape about returning county players upsetting the setup/rhythm of the Breaffy team could be on the money

Wouldn’t agree at all, Ballina had Clarke, Caff, Murray, Treacy and Regan on the county panel. Easy excuse for Breaffy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Was a very entertaining game between Mitchels and Knockmore. A soft goal made the difference in the end and Knockmore can probably have a few regrets.
    I'm not convinced Mitchels will win the thing out, thought they looked dodgy enough at times during that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

What's the draw for the SF's?
    When will they be played?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

cocoman wrote: »
    What's the draw for the SF's?
    When will they be played?

Ballintubber v Ballina
    Ballagh v Castlebar

Played in 2 weeks time I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Crossmolina remain in intermediate for another year. Burrishoole snatch victory at the death with a late goal.

Semi fixtures:
    Burrish V Ballyhaunis
    The Neale V Louisburgh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 thenumber3

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/millionaire-withholds-250000-from-mayo-county-board-38536084.html

Appears to be a case of "we'll happily take your money but we're not going to justify how we'll spend it".

Talk about making a balls of a beneficial relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

It's hard to blame the foundation if that is the case. Examiner has the same story:

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/mayo-supporter-group-issue-email-over-board-spat-953102.html?__twitter_impression=true

Pretty damning view of how the county board conducts business. What's the story with that commercial manager role?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

The hole lot of them need to be ran
    Having to pay 5 grand for 10 tickets valued at 950 to a doner like what’s going on.
    There was never going to be a pitch at lock lannagh it was all to get more money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

This is embarrassing. Why in the name of Fock are we always doing our dirty washing in the public domain?! Despite the county boards incompetence this O'Leary sounds like a right diva. Why wasn't there a proper committee set-up to deal with this in an appropriate manner. Id say Connelly cannot wait to get out the door and leave this mess behind him

naughto wrote: »
    Having to pay 5 grand for 10 tickets valued at 950 to a doner like what’s going on.
    There was never going to be a pitch at lock lannagh it was all to get more money

I don't believe this to be true. There is no way the Council would be involved if that was the case

• Advertisement

I don't believe this to be true. There is no way the Council would be involved if that was the case

Did you read the statement

Did you read the statement

Yes I've read it. One of the primary objectives of the foundation was to help with the new proposed facility. Just because Connolly didn't forward a business plan doesn't mean it was never going ahead. Id just say he wasn't arsed and thought the cash would keep coming without the additional hassle of creating a business plan. Well and truly blown up in his face now though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So you're just going to believe one side of the story ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭threeball

Yes I've read it. One of the primary objectives of the foundation was to help with the new proposed facility. Just because Connolly didn't forward a business plan doesn't mean it was never going ahead. Id just say he wasn't arsed and thought the cash would keep coming without the additional hassle of creating a business plan. Well and truly blown up in his face now though

Whats the craic with having a second centre of excellence. The Connaught one isn't used by any other county outside some end of season tournaments for kids. Are Mayo not using this already, if not, why not. I know its not ideally located but what was its purpose at all if the Mayo teams don't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭BandMember

So you're just going to believe one side of the story ya?

Let's just say that this isn't the first incident of this nature to occur over the years. Allegedly.

BandMember wrote: »
    Let's just say that this isn't the first incident of this nature to occur over the years. Allegedly.

Aye allegedly. Connelly said categorically that this didnt happen, im not going to rush to judgement like some. I know absolutely nothing about this man behind the foundation either, maybe he was dictating to the board how they run their affairs? I really dont know the details either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Blackjack

threeball wrote: »
    Whats the craic with having a second centre of excellence. The Connaught one isn't used by any other county outside some end of season tournaments for kids. Are Mayo not using this already, if not, why not. I know its not ideally located but what was its purpose at all if the Mayo teams don't use it.

Connacht one in Bekan is the Connacht GAA one. It’s expensive to book it and there is no guarantee for a county team that it will be available when they need it as it may well be booked for someone else. The one in Lough Lannagh is a collaboration with the Council.
    Mayo teams at all levels have struggled to have pitches available for games and training so more being available isn’t a bad thing.

The one in Bekan is in Mayo because Bekan is literally as close to the Centre of the province as it could be, though there are Clubs in Mayo that are further away from Bekan than the furthest reaches of Sligo, Leitrim and Roscommon.

Aye allegedly. Connelly said categorically that this didnt happen, im not going to rush to judgement like some. I know absolutely nothing about this man behind the foundation either, maybe he was dictating to the board how they run their affairs? I really dont know the details either

And you believe him when there’s so much money being sent over and no recipts of where it was being spent you have to start asking questions about who is controlling the accounts.
    If Horan couldn’t control the board or get what he needed what makes you think that O’Leary can.
    They wanted the money no questions asked now that they are asking where it went they can show for it

And you believe him when there’s so much money being sent over and no recipts of where it was being spent you have to start asking questions about who is controlling the accounts.
    If Horan couldn’t control the board or get what he needed what makes you think that O’Leary can.
    They wanted the money no questions asked now that they are asking where it went they can show for it

I dont believe or disbelieve him but im waiting to hear both sides of the story and i seriously doubt 'there are no receipts' but we shall see, hey you may well be right, its looking like a right mess anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭BandMember

These guys are not the first sponsor who had issues about the way their donations were dispersed. On Connolly personally, he said a lot of things over the past couple of years in relation to management set ups that were categorically untrue, so..... I know nothing about the individuals in the group that were mentioned. I think that at this point, anyone who knows anything about Mayo football over the years can all agree that where the CB are concerned, there's no smoke without fire...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭threeball

Blackjack wrote: »

Connacht one in Bekan is the Connacht GAA one. It’s expensive to book it and there is no guarantee for a county team that it will be available when they need it as it may well be booked for someone else. The one in Lough Lannagh is a collaboration with the Council.
    Mayo teams at all levels have struggled to have pitches available for games and training so more being available isn’t a bad thing.

The one in Bekan is in Mayo because Bekan is literally as close to the Centre of the province as it could be, though there are Clubs in Mayo that are further away from Bekan than the furthest reaches of Sligo, Leitrim and Roscommon.

Who is using it though. I've been involved in a couple of end of season tournaments for kids down there and heard of a few club games between Galway and Sligo clubs but apart from that I never hear use of it. It's a bit of a white elephant as far as I can see and windy as fcuk. Is it really that busy?

Who is using it though. I've been involved in a couple of end of season tournaments for kids down there and heard of a few club games between Galway and Sligo clubs but apart from that I never hear use of it. It's a bit of a white elephant as far as I can see and windy as fcuk. Is it really that busy?

Couldn’t tell you, not based in the County unfortunately. Anytime I’ve passed by the place it’s been used but how frequently or to what Capacity I can’t say.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Lads, the dogs on the street know you should be getting more bang for their investment bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Blackjack wrote: »

Couldn’t tell you, not based in the County unfortunately. Anytime I’ve passed by the place it’s been used but how frequently or to what Capacity I can’t say.

Its always in use and now that the wetter weather is here it will be used more as the pitches are well maintained. Its also used by Connacht GAA as their offices and training centre so always something going on. There are plans to install an indoor pitch under an inflatable dome but no sign of that yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Four all star nominations is about right.

Durcan
    Barrett
    Boyle
    AOS

I'd expect either Boyle or Durcan to get one, but no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Boyle the only possibility for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Durcan for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

AOS was excellent this year.

• Advertisement

Kalyke wrote: »
    Durcan for me.

Same as that.

This discussion has been closed.