Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Apparently Haden has an AC sprain and could be back for week 3. In other off field news, Josh Dobbs is gone to Jacksonville for a 5th round pick.

If the team could now do some business on the field as well, it would be good.

Great defense coverage here of one Steeler on another..

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/status/1171791178402017281

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

dfx- wrote: »
    Great defense coverage here of one Steeler on another..

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/status/1171791178402017281

Sums up the defensive performance although nothing will top the Sean Davis tackle on Haden last year that knocked the ball out of his hands and straight to a Chargers player for a TD

Another bad outing. Moncrief drop and PI call in second half killed them. Defence got shredded once again, they just can’t ever get a stop when needed. How Butler is still over that unit is beyond me.

On the plus side Mason Rudolph looked really good when he came in. If Ben misses a few weeks with this injury it might not be as bad as you’d expect.

@SF next week and probably 0-3

defense started well, four sacks and a fumble return.

Then there came the indiscipline. Needless stupid foul on the return, foul on the FG that cost four points - ultimately a winning margin. Moncrief dropping Rudolph - 11 targets or 7 yards and an INT.

3rd and 16 final drive for Seattle is converted to seal the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Defense never get a stop when needed, we always found a way to do it, but past 3-4 years it doesn’t happen. Terrible start to the season, not many teams starting 0-2 make the playoffs!!

We are having huge difficulties with tight ends and the run game. It’ll probably improve as the season wears on but they are really struggling at the moment. SF are flying and they have one of the best tight ends in the league. Can’t see how the Steelers are winning that one.

If Ben is out for a few weeks I’m looking forward to seeing what Rudolph can do. Conner and Ben are to have MRI’s today apparently. I love Conner but he is made of matchsticks, most important ability is availability as they say.

Given the problems with the secondary i wonder should they make a move for Minkah Fitzpatrick, he would be a nice addition. Presumably they’d want a 2020 first rounder for him.

No 7 gone for the season, couldn’t get much worse really!!

2-14 here we come. At least we will get a good pick next year

2-14 here we come. At least we will get a good pick next year

Rudolph looked competent when he got going yesterday evening but can’t see many wins coming our way with Ben out.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Rudolph looked competent when he got going yesterday evening but can’t see many wins coming our way with Ben out.

It’ll be a long road back for Ben at his age with all the hits he has taken over the years, and he has never been the best to mind his body in the first place. Would not be surprised if he has played his last snap. I wonder what the cap implications are if he retires at the end of the season. They just gave him a huge extension with a lot of guarantees.

They don’t know what they have with Rudolph yet. Hopefully he turns out to be good but we can’t expect much this year. They just traded Dobbs so we are one injury away from Devlin Hodges being QB!!

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1173795370121551873?s=21

Jesus. I know I suggested this move yesterday but given what has transpired since there is a very real chance we have a top 10 pick next year. That said Fitzpatrick could be a game changer, Saban said he was the best DB he ever coached and the Steelers have a massive hole at FS. If the defence still stinks by mid season it’s just bad coaching, pure and simple.

This is a huge vote of confidence in Mason Rudolph. The team has traded away a shot at one of the top QB’s in the draft next year in order to try and fix the D and give him a shot.

There are now seven or eight first rounders in the defense now and does it look like it? Especially the secondary, covering our own players, indiscipline and 'miscommunications'. At some point it has to come down to the schemes and coaching.

Meanwhile, we still need TEs and arguably WRs who stretch the field and run deep - with either Rudolph or Ben.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

AB released by the Pats.

AB released by the Pats.

Hardly surprising, he appears to have serious issues of some kind. Whatever the Steelers do this season letting AB go appears to to be one of the smarter calls they made.

What is the feeling ahead of Sunday? I’m finding it difficult to predict anything other than a SF win. They are playing good football and the Steelers are a bit of a mess on both sides of the ball at the minute.

You never know though. I see sky are showing the game. Looking forward to seeing Rudolph for a full game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Hardly surprising, he appears to have serious issues of some kind. Whatever the Steelers do this season letting AB go appears to to be one of the smarter calls they made.

I think as well it's a credit to Tomlin that he managed to keep AB happy and out of trouble for so long. But AB seriously does have issues. This rape alligation could take years to clear so if he plays again it will be a miracle in my eyes. As for Sunday,sadly im gonna have to go with a SF win.

• Advertisement

I think as well it's a credit to Tomlin that he managed to keep AB happy and out of trouble for so long. But AB seriously does have issues. This rape alligation could take years to clear so if he plays again it will be a miracle in my eyes. As for Sunday,sadly im gonna have to go with a SF win.

Another team might take him if he settles his legal issues but the days of him getting ‘upfront’ money are gone. He will be effectively pay as you play if he gets back to the league I would imagine.

I don’t mind another L tomorrow but really want to see an improved run game at the very least. The Steelers have not been able to move the ball on the ground at all in the first two games. If they can’t solve that Mason Rudolph will be in an impossible position for the rest of the season.

It’s defense that the Steelers reputation was built on, the 70’s teams, Blitzburgh of the 90’s. Our defense has been woeful for 4-5 years or more. We improve that our results improve. Rudolph can move the ball no doubt about that but are the tools there for him to do it? Moncrief a man I was really delighted to see us sign has been terrible, Diontae Johnson has a bigger involvement from here on in as a result.

Those days are long gone. While there are definitely issues on defence it’s not as bad as being made out. A big problem is the offence constantly putting them under pressure with three and outs and stupid turnovers. The defence was on the field for over 70 snaps v Seattle and understandably they started making mistakes.

As well as defence much of the Steelers success was based on a strong run game. They went away from that in recent years, since Bell left Ben can’t wait to go bombs away at every opportunity. It worked to an extent with AB making impossible plays every game but imo they have to build around the run again now. They probably need to pick up a FA vet like CJ Anderson or Ajayi because I don’t trust Conner to stay healthy and Samuels is not able for the load either.

Moncrief has been a disaster but he is clearly not fit enough to be on the field with his broken finger. He was not this bad in Jax or Ind and even if they can get modest production from him when he is fit again im fine with keeping him. All of the others are so young you need at least one experienced guy in there.

I think they’ll be looking at several coaching changes at the end of the year. KB’s contract is up and I can’t see it being renewed unless the D improves dramatically. Fichtner now has his chance to run the offence his way, Ben was freelancing a lot and ignoring the playbook up to now. A lot of the minority owners want Tomlin gone but Rooney has saved him up to now. His job depends on the performance of the team from here out imo. I know the Steelers don’t sack coaches but he is on a very warm seat imo. If it becomes clear he is not getting a new contract he will leave by mutual consent before he becomes a lame duck.

Ugh.

I saw somewhere that the record of teams that get five turnovers in games prior to last night was 45-1-1

It’s going to be a long season watching that offence.

Expanding on that^....

five turnovers, strong performance from the defensive line and instant impact from Fitzpatrick. Barron was terrible. Dupree not great against a rookie. But the defense largely positive, but where are they going to score enough points on offense?

The offense was dreadful. Rudolph's interception was awful, he's not seeing who is open and he's not being given extra time because the OL was beaten. The WRs may as well have stayed in Pittsburgh with Moncrief for the first half and Vance goes down. Rudolph overthrowing everything, screen passes eveywhere, failure to convert 3rd downs, can't stay on the pitch for longer than 2 minutes and then the turnover at 20-17 is immediately handed back to them by Connor.

Where are the TDs coming from?

Agreed. O-Line has to be a huge concern. They are supposed to be the strength of the team but they got owned last night, particularly AV and Feiler. Mason has no chance under that pressure. Jury still out on him but very hard to assess anything last night the way the O-Line got pushed around.

The WR corps is not going to scare anyone, there’s no deep threat so teams can stack the box and shut the offence down completely. We spoke a while back about the need to get a decent backup TE. Vance can’t stay healthy and Grimble is utterly useless.

That said, they won’t meet too many defensive fronts as good as what they faced last night. Bosa, Buckner and Ford are scary. They’ll push a lot of teams around this year.

Realistically who can they beat looking at it now...

Miami, Cleveland x 2 maybe, Cincinatti x 2 I'd be confident, Jets maybe? Cardinals maybe, Colts maybe but they've a strong O-line from what I remember.

Rams, Chargers, Ravens x 2, Bills even I just don't see it.

I wouldn’t be sure about sweeping Cleveland and Cincinnati tbh. Maybe beat both at home? Ravens are looking great. Jets, Cardinals, Dolphins and a couple of surprise wins would probably be as good as you could hope for now, 6-10. If the offence figure it out then maybe they can do better but statistically speaking the chances of making the playoffs are all but gone now.

It’s looking very much like a rebuilding year. Clear out some of the coaching staff in the off season and go again. The defence is stacked with good young players. Under the right DC they could be very good in the future.

• Advertisement

Another trade: a TE from Seattle for a 5th round 2020 pick..

Another trade: a TE from Seattle for a 5th round 2020 pick..

Don’t know anything about him but he can’t be worse than Grimble. Hopefully this guy can block and help the tackles before Mason gets killed, and hopefully Vance injury is not serious.

Great to have a W on the board. Couldn’t stay up as I’d an early start this AM but going by the short highlights they kept things very simple, lots of dink and dunk around the LOS to the running backs etc. Samuels and Conner looked good and another TD for Johnson who looks to be a very good receiver in the making. Hopefully they start taking some shots down the field once MR is more comfortable.

A win v Baltimore on Sunday would be dreamland but I’ve a feeling they will run all over the Steelers.

Woke up around the 3rd quarter for a bit. You'd have to be disappointed not to beat them again, their OL is awful - Dalton was sacked eight times by various Steelers, the most he ever had been sacked.

But looking at the scorecard, it looks like another slow start and a lot of reliance on short screens to RBs. You've got to imagine Ravens will shut that down and ask Rudolph beat them over the top.

Which is not good.

It was important to get a win and it looks like they got the game plan spot on for last night. I’m looking forward to watching it later on. Defence had a night by the sounds of it.

By all accounts JuJu and other receivers were getting open in previous games and he is either not seeing them, is afraid to throw it, or is being instructed to check down. Something has to change there.

Important to get the win psychologically before it became a stats thing to beat up a new QB.

You'd hope Ben will be an advantage being on the sideline.

• Advertisement

Xavier Grimble has been cut. Writing was on the wall I suppose once they signed Vannett who looked more than decent last week. They apparently also may need to cut Moncrief before week 10 in order to recoup the compensatory third round pick they were due for Lev Bell, this came off the table when the Eagles cut Fort due to whatever crazy formula the league uses. Moncrief has done nothing to convince anybody that he is worth a roster spot to date so you’d imagine he will be gone before the deadline as they really need that pick.

Can’t watch the Raven game this week as I’ll be travelling. The more the week goes on the better I’m feeling about it. I think they’ve a good chance of turning them over if they can contain the run damage.

Ugh.

The Paxton Lynch era is upon us! They cut Fred Johnson and Elliot to make room for Lynch and Edmunds. Johnson won’t clear waivers you’d imagine as he looked quite promising and there are over a dozen teams with chronic lack of oline depth. Same thing happened with Skipper a few weeks back. I guess Rudolph will be out for a while.

The Paxton Lynch era is upon us.

Probably defines our season in a sentence this!!

Probably defines our season in a sentence this!!

Yep, comical disaster at this stage. In fairness we have always been in the shake up for the playoffs up to now so can’t really complain.

One bright spot is that the secondary looks much improved and the defence is getting lots of sacks and takeaways. If the offence wasn’t such a liability or even if Ben was healthy I think the Steelers would be doing fine. Even with the insane run of injuries they have been competitive in all games except the opener.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Chargers will win easy on Sunday night.

Given the Steelers are starting a guy at QB that was on the street a few weeks ago that’s hardly a brave prediction.

I do think that the Steelers pass rush will get to Rivers though so if Duck isn’t terrible at QB there is slim hope.

Yawn......

Steelers D completely shutting down the Chargers. Wish I could stay up for the rest of this but so far so good anyway.

The Duck with the win!!!

The Duck with the win!!!

Watched the first half but had to go to bed then. Defence won it for them. Duck is as good as you could hope for for a UDFA though.

Great to have the bye week now because the number of injuries is gone beyond a joke.

Watched it through. Great defense until the 4th quarter where they nearly let them back into it, getting beaten by Henry and Williams over the middle.

Two very long offense drives helping the defense stay off. Conner ran riot.

Note for Berry for the final punt pinning them to the one yard line.

Any chance of Hargrave being traded to get back a pick is surely gone now.

Any chance of Hargrave being traded to get back a pick is surely gone now.

They’ll need him until the end of the season and may even look to re-sign him? Cam and Alualu are pushing on and Tuitt is constantly getting injured. If he has any interest in staying in Pitt I wouldn’t be letting Hargrave go personally, especially given their lack of draft capital.

Through all the issues with the offence the bright spots this season were the improved secondary and pass rush. Tuitt was playing at a pro bowl if not an all pro level. This leaves them really thin on the D line.

The Ravens and Browns are not particularly great but any slim chance the Steelers has of making a run at the division has passed with this news you’d imagine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement