Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime time - any predictions

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Like most here, I’m fed up of the usual rubbish spouted like road tax, insurance, etc. But am I the only one that very rarely sees cycling on footpaths? Mannix Flynn banged on about it and George hook seems to think it’s one of the biggest issues going. I cycle in and out of Dublin City centre everyday and see multiple cyclists and motorists breaking lights, on phones, etc, but I very very rarely see anyone cycling on footpaths. Is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

07Lapierre wrote: »

Clearly cyclists’ fault as they’re digging the road up to build a cycle track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Like most here, I’m fed up of the usual rubbish spouted like road tax, insurance, etc. But am I the only one that very rarely sees cycling on footpaths? Mannix Flynn banged on about it and George hook seems to think it’s one of the biggest issues going. I cycle in and out of Dublin City centre everyday and see multiple cyclists and motorists breaking lights, on phones, etc, but I very very rarely see anyone cycling on footpaths. Is it just me?

I would have come across it pretty much every day on my way in to work (North Circular Road from Drumcondra to the IFSC), in a couple of spots, but mainly at the Five Lamps with cyclists taking the path when turning left from the canal. See a similar instance where I am now in the suburbs (taking the footpath to turn left rather than waiting at a red).

I see it as a bit annoying as the vast majority of them aren't aggressive and are usually 'careful' when they're going around the corner.

My route (D24 -> north inner city) does have cycle tracks the whole way in so must be something to do with that. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Achasanai wrote: »
    I would have come across it pretty much every day on my way in to work (North Circular Road from Drumcondra to the IFSC), in a couple of spots, but mainly at the Five Lamps with cyclists taking the path when turning left from the canal. See a similar instance where I am now in the suburbs (taking the footpath to turn left rather than waiting at a red).

You do realise the cycle lane is on the footpath at the section of road from the canal bridge to the 5 lamps corner right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

jon1981 wrote: »
    You do realise the cycle lane is on the footpath at the section of road from the canal bridge to the 5 lamps corner right ?

It doesn't go as far as the Five Lamps though - it quite clearly ends before the junction: https://goo.gl/maps/1Gu5TWmALDv

However as the poster pointed out, many cyclists use the footpath to 'skip' the red light and some do so without consideration for pedestrians. There's no excusing that kind of behaviour - it's easy to slow down if you feel the need to ride on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I watched this last night and a few things jumped out at me.

1. The segment was far too short to have a proper discussion on the topic
    2. The people they picked for the panel were awful apart from the journalist who I thought came across very well and had stats at hand to back up her views.
    3. Why is it always up to the "pro cyclist" side to defend the actions of every cyclist in Ireland. Not once did the presenter ask Mannix Flynn or the Haulage lady to defend the actions of the motorists in the clips provided.
    4. Calling it "Road Wars" was not a good idea
    5. Presenters need to stop the arguments that start with "What about the cyclists who......."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

They had a second cycling representative - a journalist (who's name I can't recall now) and who was much more articulate and representative than Damien.

Ah okay, I hadn't gleaned that form the various comments, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

I didn't watch it, nor do I plan to but can we compare Damien with Conor Faulknan (for e.g). Isn't Dublin cycling campaign a voluntary organization where as Faulknan is paid big bucks and he's been doing it for years. Is there anyone else you can think of that could have / should have gone in his place?

Nail on head & as someone who did see show imo that criticism of D O'T is v harsh .He & V W likely went in prepared for a reasoned debate, & opportunity to put cyclist point of view but were bulldozed by rude uninformed opponents who were allowed to keep equating misbehaving cyclists with downright dangerous drivers. Damien did point out the false equivalence. Irish Cycle has a good summing up of what was wrong with prog on fb & twitter. Do watch PT Annie, then read Irish Cycle & see what u think yrself. You have skin in the game having posted re yr near misses & attempts to get RSA to put the 1.5 msg on bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

But am I the only one that very rarely sees cycling on footpaths? Mannix Flynn banged on about it and George hook seems to think it’s one of the biggest issues going. I cycle in and out of Dublin City centre everyday and see multiple cyclists and motorists breaking lights, on phones, etc, but I very very rarely see anyone cycling on footpaths. Is it just me?
    It'd be impossible in a lot of places because of the all the hover-cars* that are parked on the footpath.

*I assume they're hover-cars, as otherwise the cars would have to be driven on the pavement, and we know motorists would never do that! Only cyclists illegally go on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

The people I mainly see cycling on footpaths are school kids (including teens) and 'nervous' cyclists - nervous is the best description I can come up with, not regular cyclists, OAP's etc. This is out in the Dublin suburbs (Baldoyle) where I am as likely to be a pedestrian as a cyclist or a driver, I don't notice so much in the city centre.

When I drive from my house I exit a short driveway with poor visibility to either side with a narrow path before the road and while I do so slowly I expect one day to have an incident with a bike on the path where they might be too fast to adjust to me nudging out. When running this sort of situation (me and a car) constitute most of my 'near misses'. I wonder is it more dangerous to cycle on the path than the road in such places.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Doeshedare wrote: »
    I wonder is it more dangerous to cycle on the path than the road in such places.

You're almost always safer cycling where the sight lines are better. And it's safer for those around you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

jon1981 wrote: »

Nope, as it doesn't go all the way to the junction.

This is the junction I'm talking about:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3547344,-6.2465597,3a,75y,139.15h,74.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGO7siwLbORL4oVKTcZeQkA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Added cyclist on footpath for illustrative purposes!
    buffalo wrote: »

However as the poster pointed out, many cyclists use the footpath to 'skip' the red light and some do so without consideration for pedestrians. There's no excusing that kind of behaviour - it's easy to slow down if you feel the need to ride on the footpath.

Yeah, and in most instances cyclists doing that will slow down, in fairness. But at that junction, there's very little room to get a bike through if there's even the one pedestrian waiting at the lights/walking. I had a cyclist kick out at me one time for not moving and I've had them refuse to go out on to the road when going that way. Very rare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I was amazed that there are 800 girls cycling to school. I live at the gates of a large secondary school and have yet to see a female cyclist going through.

I've seen a dozen or so girls crossing Swords road on Griffith Avenue at one set of red lights.

Griffith Avenue is crying out for good cycling infrastructure, its really wide, has several schools

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a coincidence - i was just thinking that in general, griffith avenue is not the worst, apart from possibly the most ludicrous piece of cycling infrastructure* on the northside, that weird chicane like arrangement near scoil mhuire (and i didn't realise it'd be so perfectly illustrated on street view till i went looking for the link):

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3707285,-6.2337804,3a,60y,352.09h,71.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLiFdRsPduj-gMzbaZWudwQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

* a bold claim, i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

there's a coincidence - i was just thinking that in general, griffith avenue is not the worst, apart from possibly the most ludicrous piece of cycling infrastructure* on the northside, that weird chicane like arrangement near scoil mhuire

I'd say the local NIMBY's residents would complain that they were being made "prisoners by cyclists" trapped in there driveways because the massive footpath/road area was being "destroyed" to construct a new safe cycle-path!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just think of the effect on house prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

But am I the only one that very rarely sees cycling on footpaths?

I see it all the time. While I don't like it, the cyclists are usually moving slowly.
    I did have a guy crash into the back of me on a Dublin bike, cycling on the path on Stephens St, which is one way. It's a narrow path there but he accused me of blocking him deliberately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

nee wrote: »
    When I was going to school it was much worse, with the culture of drink driving, less speed and Russ safety awareness. Cycling the eight miles to school wouldn't have been that safe imo. However the county I'm from now has a cycling club so things are changing a bit.
    It had a club back then as well but it fell apart due to internal bickering, they were sponsored by that large hardware store on the corner.
    Effects wrote: »
    I see it all the time. While I don't like it, the cyclists are usually moving slowly.
    I did have a guy crash into the back of me on a Dublin bike, cycling on the path on Stephens St, which is one way. It's a narrow path there but he accused me of blocking him deliberately.
    I had a guy hit me from behind because I stopped for alighting bus passengers (yield sign on the ground). He was shocked but after realising why I slowed, apologised.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »

Confirmation bias and all that, since I posted this the other day I've seen nothing but people cycling on paths :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Confirmation bias and all that, since I posted this the other day I've seen nothing but people cycling on paths :o

Same here, once I passed Bray and the cycle paths disappeared yesterday, every driver gave me 1.5m or more heading to Southern Cross, although as soon as I got back on cycle tracks, the distance dropped straight back to 30cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

I've seen a dozen or so girls crossing Swords road on Griffith Avenue at one set of red lights.

Griffith Avenue is crying out for good cycling infrastructure, its really wide, has several schools

My mind got this far into the sentence and immediately pictured sword-fighting schoolgirls, before it read on and became very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I slowly cut the corner via the footpath from Clanwilliam Place to Northumberland Rd in D2 this morning on the way to work. A pedestrian (of which there were very few) shouted 'You are not allowed cycle on the footpath' at me twice though I didnt impede him or inconvenience him or anyone else in anyway. Still he was correct and perhaps this what the fuss is about. I traveled 27,650m this morning and 10m would have been on the path (also outside Westwood, Clontarf).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Doeshedare wrote: »
    I slowly cut the corner via the footpath from Clanwilliam Place to Northumberland Rd in D2 this morning on the way to work. A pedestrian (of which there were very few) shouted 'You are not allowed cycle on the footpath' at me twice though I didnt impede him or inconvenience him or anyone else in anyway. Still he was correct and perhaps this what the fuss is about. I traveled 27,650m this morning and 10m would have been on the path (also outside Westwood, Clontarf).

That sort of road traffic rule breaking will probably cause some truck driver to die, or I think that is the point the woman representing road hauliers was trying to make on Prime time :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

That sort of road traffic rule breaking will probably cause some truck driver to die, or I think that is the point the woman representing road hauliers was trying to make on Prime time :confused:.

No I think she was saying that all truck drivers are professionals and any incident involving a cyclist is/was the cyclists own fault due to the fact that cyclists have no idea how to drive trucks, don’t wear yellow jackets or plastic hats. Hedges that are not trimmed, bad roads, bad weather, the government , etc. etc. are also a big problem! I’m amazed she didn’t get in a dig about the price of diesel while she was at it!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Nothing gets my goat up more than a badly trimmed hedge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The Prime Time program trundled lazily and predictably along the the usual media reporting on cyclist safety.

The misconception put forward by dinosaurs like Mannix Flynn that cyclists as a group break the rules more than motorists as a group was left entirely unchallenged by the presenters, who's job it it surely, to force panelists on both sides to back up their assertions with some sort of facts or research.

It is too much to hope that programs like Prime Time could actually stop Mannix in his tracks when he starts his "I see cyclists do this and that" bollox and ask for some objective study-based evidence. Evidence like this, maybe:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2273001/cyclists-comply-traffic-laws-more-drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Also, if PT were actually anyway competent or credible, Mannix Flynn or anyone else said saying "They (cyclists) think they're saving the world!" , they would be open to utter ridicule (and rightly so) for daring to contribute such a petty-minded and biased non-argument in a serious discussion about saving peoples lives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement