Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime time - any predictions

Options
  • 13-02-2018 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭

Segment on RTÉ now. Prime time RTÉ 1.

Jaysus Mannix Flynn should get a bike and chill out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

All car drivers, BAD.
    All cyclist ,Good and Innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I"m not watching until I know how good / bad a job they did on it!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Verona Murphy is a disgrace, the smug head on her bringing up the cyclist who died in the Phoenix Park :mad: :(

blood boiling here :mad:

They just don't get it do they.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    All car drivers, BAD.
    All cyclist ,Good and Innocent.

My own experience differs. Some cyclists are bad, some motorists are bad. Bad motorists however have the potential to kill and maim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

main take-away i have from this is that i hope they release the swear reel as a standalone video. fair play for them leaving all the profanity intact.

main issue i have (apart from the usual bolloxology from mannix flynn - who appears to be extraordinarily accident prone - and the road haulage spokesperson) was the supposed expert talking about mandatory cycle lanes, but clearly in the context of the responsibilities of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

The RSA guy mentioned "solid white lined bike lanes" were mandatory - That is clearly incorrect and misleading

main take-away i have from this is that i hope they release the swear reel as a standalone video. fair play for them leaving all the profanity intact.

main issue i have (apart from the usual bolloxology from mannix flynn - who appears to be extraordinarily accident prone - and the road haulage spokesperson) was the supposed expert talking about mandatory cycle lanes, but clearly in the context of the responsibilities of cyclists.

I had forgotten about that, so bad was some of the rest of it, but at the time I did remark to the OH here that his particular comments were downright dangerous, as he simply said mandatory and non-mandatory lanes, without any reference to implication of the word mandatory, which will almost certainly see many motorists jump to the conclusion of mandatory usage.

alentejo wrote: »
    The RSA guy mentioned "solid white lined bike lanes" were mandatory - That is clearly incorrect and misleading

They're mandatory in the legislation, so it is technically correct, but mandatory refers to drivers observation and adherence to them, not cyclists' usage of them, which as mentioned already is a dangerous omission on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Jaysus Mannix Flynn should get a bike and chill out.

From what he's waffled about tonight, he'd do a Brian Harvey and end up cycling over himself, he seems to get hit by something every time he steps outside his door.

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    Verona Murphy is a disgrace, the smug head on her bringing up the cyclist who died in the Phoenix Park :mad: :(

What a horrible grin on her face when she said it thinking she was point scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hurrache wrote: »
    What a horrible grin on her face when she said it thinking she was point scoring.

I’m sure the family of the deceased would have been delighted to see that. She’s a nasty piece of work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe it's my inner snob coming out, but when i hear the word 'veh-hicle' i pay a little less attention to the speaker.

maybe it's my inner snob coming out, but when i hear the word 'veh-hicle' i pay a little less attention to the speaker.

What if you're asked for your inshurdence on your ve-hicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I thought the representative from the Dublin Cycling Campaign (?) or whatever organisation it is. was embarrassingly poor. He had so many opportunities to rebut what was being said and provide counter arguments but just kicked to touch.

...and Verona Murphy reckons that safety gear will save you if hit by a truck. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

They should just take a taxpayer funded jolly to Holland now. For the cycle stuff of course.

I was pretty shocked to learn that only 800 girls cycle to school :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I was surprised actually. Panel discussion was the usual BS, but the segment featured a lot of dangerous & reckless behaviour from drivers with only a few of the usual dodgy cycling clips at the end. Even the RSA gimp was unusually measured (by RSA standards).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I thought the representative from the Dublin Cycling Campaign (?) or whatever organisation it is. was embarrassingly poor. He had so many opportunities to rebut what was being said and provide counter arguments but just kicked to touch.

Damien is a gent, Mannix is a rabble rousing mouthpiece, and Veronica Murphy is an ignorant idiot... So in the context of that all, he did well against the illogical crap the other two sprout out!

i was at the DCC meeting last night, and they mentioned that they'd been asked to send a representative in to the show - and they seemed to be taking a 'we're damned if we do, and damned if we don't' approach. they did not expect a fair debate, but felt that not appearing might mean the opposing side got more weight.

speaking of the opposing side, i'd love to know what logic was used in picking mannix flynn for the panel. no matter what you think of her, at least there's a tenuous excuse for having the road haulage association spokesperson there. mannix seems to have been chosen mainly on the basis that he's a mouthy, grumpy old pr1ck who is lucky to be alive.
    i wouldn't want to live beside him, a plane must be due to crash land on his house by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

I thought the lady from the Road Haulage group came across as somewhat sociopathic, never blinking when talking about cyclists and bringing up with glee the Phoenix park cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

mannix seems to have been chosen mainly on the basis that he's a mouthy, grumpy old pr1ck who is lucky to be alive..

Just be thankful they couldn't afford to have George Hook on the panel!

also, i guess he may just be weary of rising to the bait of 'BUT CYCLISTS ON FOOTPATHS', so just kept beating the drum of better infrastructure. could have been a deliberate policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was pretty shocked to learn that only 800 girls cycle to school :(
    I was amazed that there are 800 girls cycling to school. I live at the gates of a large secondary school and have yet to see a female cyclist going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Some of close passes caught on the cyclists cameras were frightening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

jon1981 wrote: »
    Some of close passes caught on the cyclists cameras were frightening!

I’m watching it on + 1 and the close passes have me on edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

A couple of incorrect interpretations of the law thrown out in the film there. Said mandatory cycle lanes had to be used by cyclists for one.

Edit: Didn't realize I was watching on +1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

amcalester wrote: »
    I’m watching it on + 1 and the close passes have me on edge.

I'm a daily cyclist and i have had my close passes with cars but f**k me nothing like that. The motorist left zero room for error...one slip and the cyclist was dead.

Wonder was it deliberate omitting any clips of a Dublin Bus being dangerous. I've seen plenty on here, and I'm sure they'd have had plenty submitted. /removes tin foil hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I was amazed that there are 800 girls cycling to school. I live at the gates of a large secondary school and have yet to see a female cyclist going through.

Moronic uniforms I’m guessing.

Advertisement