Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Dunbar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Do we really consider Philip to be a world tour rider? He never races.

32 days of racing this year, not a lot by world tour standards but you could hardly say he never races.

78 days of racing in 2017 as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Why has Sam Bennett not finished races ...or indeeed entered many races .??

What happened ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Sam probably would have performed better than Sagan at the Vuelta and possibly won a stage or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

MPFGLB wrote: »

What happened ?

I’d say Sam might be parting company with Bora hence the lack of race time. He’s in his final year with them and maybe contract negotiations didn’t go to plan.

I’d expect a lad who won 3 stages at the Giro to be getting plenty of race time. I could understand leaving him out of TDF but expected he’d be back for the Vuelta.

Going back to Eddie that’s a huge move for him and one he fully deserves. Hope he does well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Pity about Sam Bennett and not racing ....petty of Bora if that is the case

Wonder where he could be going

Sky have no sprinter
    Sunweb seem to be recruting
    And UAE have the funds though not the best place with Kristoff there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

MPFGLB wrote: »

What happened ?
    Its an unusual one for Sam, there have been no public indications regarding illness or injury and he has been on the long list for a lot of races since the Giro and been pulled very late on.

The races he has entered would not have been Sam type finishes so some of the DNF's are not a surprise but not all that helpful when Ackermann has been mopping up wins in Sams absence. I also see Sam's main leadout man Rudi Selig won in his own right in Slovakia today

Procyclingstats is usually reliable regarding contracts for next year and Sam is listed as having renewed for 2019
    https://www.procyclingstats.com/team/bora-hansgrohe-2019

Noticeable too that Ackermann has not been confirmed yet but i imagine that Bora will be keen to get him resigned and will surely promise him a grand tour option next year.

Hopefully Sam gets some form back again and may look to get selected for Turkey in October where he had great success last year.

But lets not get off topic, this is the Eddie Dunbar thread and while Sky wouldn't be my first choice i hope everything goes well for him there and the best thing for him is a solid race program which hopefully he gets. Will the Belgian classics and shorter tours suit him better than the GT's as there is IMO a greater opportunity in the Sky roster for the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

Thomas and kwiatkowski are normally their guys for the 1 week stage races but they never seem to have anyone who can do much at the spring classics. I know they've had wins in the minor spring races but don't think they've don't much in the likes of Paris roubaix, flanders etc

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

neris wrote: »
    Thomas and kwiatkowski are normally their guys for the 1 week stage races but they never seem to have anyone who can do much at the spring classics. I know they've had wins in the minor spring races but don't think they've don't much in the likes of Paris roubaix, flanders etc

they've won 2 of the 5 monuments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I hate the word 'hails' as much as I hate the term 'smashing it'.

Unless it's referring to the weather.

Nice one Eddie, though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

1bryan wrote: »
    they've won 2 of the 5 monuments.

And With Ian Stannard and Geraint Thomas Het Niewsblad

They have a formidable classics line up as well as one for stage races...

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Watching the Giro della Toscana and Eddie dropping them all!!

what a pull on the front!

Thought I could hear Moscon tell him to knock it back a little at once point. He looked great there.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Eddie bossing the chasing group, looks very comfortable

Great preparation for the Worlds

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Damn, need to watch this!!

Any repeats of todays Giro della Toscana on Eurosport this evening, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Dow99 wrote: »
    Damn, need to watch this!!

Any repeats of todays Giro della Toscana on Eurosport this evening, does anyone know?

Got it,,, 10pm tonight - EuroSport :)

http://www.stickybottle.com/races-results/irish-cyclist-eddie-dunbar-sky/

use the "on demand" option on eurosport and look under cycling.

computer or smart TV app

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Another fantastic performance from Eddie Dunbar in Italy today in the Memorial Marco Pantani. He clearly had leave to have a go and did so in the latter stages, going clear with Ben Hermans on the final climb. Although caught by the select chasing group he was still able to keep with the likes of Quintana and Nibali in the finale and came home 8th in the select sprint.

I suspect Sky will be pleased to have picked him up....

I cant see a highlight video in English to embed, but it you check the GCN Facebook page there is a summary on there

EDIT: Its on sticky bottle too.... oops

https://www.facebook.com/PMGliveSport/videos/2146602788932523/?t=494

And would you look who's there looking to suck his wheel :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

And would you look who's there looking to suck his wheel :D

If I guess right do I win a prize? Hahaha!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Watched Toscana yesterday while doing a turbo. Amazing performance by Dunbar, if not very un-skybot like going with the attacks. That'll probably be beat out of him.
    Childcare arrangements mean probably another session today so hoping his next exploits are up on the player!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭wav1

Hope he performs to his best at worlds..if he does he has great chance of a top ten and maybe even better i hope..great u23 team all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

wav1 wrote: »
    Hope he performs to his best at worlds..if he does he has great chance of a top ten and maybe even better i hope..great u23 team all round.

Top step more like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I really wish him well but but am anxious he'll just end up Sky train fodder.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Be sickened if that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

class shines through in the end..if hes good enough he will get his chance..personally i think he is..seeing him from underage bla bla..the stars have our eddies name in them...there is good times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Perspective lads. There's nothing wrong with Sky train fodder ... particularly in Grand Tours and big stage races. Any up and coming young cyclist would grab that.... spotlight, development etc. Just ask yourself how many top riders have not ridden the likes of the TDF.

Would you prefer play your football as a League or Ireland star or be used in a more sparing role at a top premiership team.

If things don't work out at Sky he can always move on. But look at him now, he's absolutely stoked with the new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

So with Eddie at sky, is there less hate from them as team or an equal amount around these parts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

The last two Tour winners were once Sky train fodder, as was said above class always shines through.

Advertisement