Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eddie Dunbar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

And would you look who's there looking to suck his wheel :D

If I guess right do I win a prize? Hahaha!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Watched Toscana yesterday while doing a turbo. Amazing performance by Dunbar, if not very un-skybot like going with the attacks. That'll probably be beat out of him.
    Childcare arrangements mean probably another session today so hoping his next exploits are up on the player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

Hope he performs to his best at worlds..if he does he has great chance of a top ten and maybe even better i hope..great u23 team all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

wav1 wrote: »
    Hope he performs to his best at worlds..if he does he has great chance of a top ten and maybe even better i hope..great u23 team all round.

Top step more like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I really wish him well but but am anxious he'll just end up Sky train fodder.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Be sickened if that happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

class shines through in the end..if hes good enough he will get his chance..personally i think he is..seeing him from underage bla bla..the stars have our eddies name in them...there is good times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Perspective lads. There's nothing wrong with Sky train fodder ... particularly in Grand Tours and big stage races. Any up and coming young cyclist would grab that.... spotlight, development etc. Just ask yourself how many top riders have not ridden the likes of the TDF.

Would you prefer play your football as a League or Ireland star or be used in a more sparing role at a top premiership team.

If things don't work out at Sky he can always move on. But look at him now, he's absolutely stoked with the new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

So with Eddie at sky, is there less hate from them as team or an equal amount around these parts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

The last two Tour winners were once Sky train fodder, as was said above class always shines through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

That's fine but Philly Deignan (who has a top 10 in a Grand Tour in his palmares) has been treading water at Sky. I'm sure his bank balance is doing fine but it would've been great to see him winning stages, going in breakaways etc with another less stacked, less regimented team who would give him a chance from time to time. Realistically there can only be 4-5 leaders at any team and Sky have 20-25 really talented riders.
    It's no harm for a few years to become one of the cogs in the Sky machine but it'd be great to see Eddie back himself in the future and maximise his potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    So with Eddie at sky, is there less hate from them as team or an equal amount around these parts
    Wouldn't use the word hate , more a complete lack of empathy for Froome and 'G' total body transformations . 
    Dunbar will be given plenty of chances , maybe not GT team leader status but one days races which might suit him better .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Wouldn't use the word hate , more a complete lack of empathy for Froome and 'G' total body transformations . 
    Dunbar will be given plenty of chances , maybe not GT team leader status but one days races which might suit him better .

G "total body transformation"? Answer via PM if needed

Hayter is an issue for him, a TT and Track man and British. Sound familiar?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately there's about 12 lads in that line up who have better pedigree at the races he'd be good at at this moment in time. Of course he can overhaul some of them but realistically he'll be doing the job of a Sebastian Henao or Kenny Elissonde for the next while anyway. I'd love to see him at Sunweb, Trek, EF, DD, Lotto Soudal or similar where he'd get chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

Eddies down on the sky team for the hammer series in Hong Kong next week

https://twitter.com/HammerSeries/status/1048170837537423365?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pawlie

'G' total body transformations .

Seriously........ Thomas has got to the startline of the tour the last 12 years, 1st was with Barloworld when he was 20 I think, he was talked about been a GT winner after he won junior tour of Wales, he was in yellow the last 2 or 3 times before he crashed out with serious injuries, so who knows this year he could have been going for the double or treble.

I hope Eddie one day wins the tour, be fantastic, and if he does would you questioning his as you put it "total body transformation" then

Pawlie wrote: »
    Seriously........ Thomas has got to the startline of the tour the last 12 years, 1st was with Barloworld when he was 20 I think, he was talked about been a GT winner after he won junior tour of Wales, he was in yellow the last 2 or 3 times before he crashed out with serious injuries, so who knows this year he could have been going for the double or treble.

I hope Eddie one day wins the tour, be fantastic, and if he does would you questioning his as you put it "total body transformation" then

Eddie doesn't need a transformation, he's already small enough and strong enough to conquer the high mountains.
    Thomas,on the other hand was never built for mountains, it's like a 1500m runner doing marathons

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Eddie doesn't need a transformation, he's already small enough and strong enough to conquer the high mountains.
    Thomas,on the other hand was never built for mountains, it's like a 1500m runner doing marathons

That's not true. Thomas was very slight starting out. He purposely packed on the weight for track and then went back to closer to the size he was.

Not like any of this was done overnight either, plus Thomas has serious pedigree throughout his career

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    That's not true. Thomas was very slight starting out. He purposely packed on the weight for track and then went back to closer to the size he was.

Not like any of this was done overnight either, plus Thomas has serious pedigree throughout his career

I don't dispute Thomas's pedigree and I'm not too convinced hes done anything surprising, but he's 6ft tall and reasonably large in his frame. In his wildest dreams he couldn't get down to Eddie's size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pawlie

I don't dispute Thomas's pedigree and I'm not too convinced hes done anything surprising, but he's 6ft tall and reasonably large in his frame. In his wildest dreams he couldn't get down to Eddie's size.

Why would he want to get to eddies 56kg weight, when he was with barloworld he was throwing out over 5 watts per kg when climbing, yea he added muscle mass for the track when going for the gold but he only added around 3-4 kgs, that's is easily lost over a few months when done right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

huh....last statement is one of the strangest things I have ever read on this site...yeah I'm sure GT is looking at Eddie...dead jealous that he's much smaller in height n weight...huh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Is there any chance you'd take this nonsense to a separate thread and leave this to Eddie news and updates

huh....last statement is one of the strangest things I have ever read on this site...yeah I'm sure GT is looking at Eddie...dead jealous that he's much smaller in height n weight...huh

That's serious avoidance of context, fair play to you. The poster above referred to Eddie needing a body transformation to win the tour, like Thomas. Of course he doesn't cos he's built to climb ... unlike Thomas. Not too complicated i hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

That's serious avoidance of context, fair play to you. The poster above referred to Eddie needing a body transformation to win the tour, like Thomas. Of course he doesn't cos he's built to climb ... unlike Thomas. Not too complicated i hope.

it was your only statement that I commented on...and in particular the last couple of lines!!

Peace dude....all is good in the Eddie thread...#eddiesarmy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭topcat77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

Any word on Eddie’s injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

A copy of an article from Rouleur magazine: Eddie Dunbar: On the Cusp

He on the start list for the Amstel Gold race this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Great ride from Eddie at the TdY final stage yesterday.

He's talked about a bit in this podcast, including an interview.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-yorkshire-finale-with-froome-lawless-and-van-avermaet-podcast/

Fingers crossed he'll be off to the Giro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

Wouldn't have thought Eddie would be that boring

https://twitter.com/quizeye/status/1125327885504516096?s=19

Took me a minute :D

• Advertisement

Surely he can't be leading Ineos for the Giro? The reporting is a bit confusing.

With three ITTs, albeit none completely flat, what's his time trialling like?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I can personally attest that it’s very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Lumen wrote:
    Surely he can't be leading Ineos for the Giro? The reporting is a bit confusing.

Think they aren't having any leader. No GC rider really among them capable of a 3 week ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Good chance for a stage win esp on a rolling stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

I can personally attest that it’s very good

He also climbs very well. He beat me in a race - more than once!

buffalo wrote: »
    He also climbs very well. He beat me in a race - more than once!
    Your time will come. Wait for Eddie to burn himself out in week three and the phone will be ringing off the hook. :D

• Advertisement

I've finished on the same time in a race as him... and probably more than once :D

Seriously though he came on to a scene as a junior lighting up races. And its great to see that every time he moves up a level, he continues to do so. That finale in Yorkshire was just so exciting to watch.

What seems to have changed in the last couple of years is that his matches are now used far more effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Now confirmed

https://twitter.com/TeamINEOS/status/1125701973033062400

You would have to think that the pecking order will have Eddie near the bottom, with TGH, Sosa and Sivakov getting priority, but it will be great to watch Eddie take whatever chances come his way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Now confirmed

https://twitter.com/TeamINEOS/status/1125701973033062400

You would have to think that the pecking order will have Eddie near the bottom, with TGH, Sosa and Sivakov getting priority, but it will be great to watch Eddie take whatever chances come his way

ah I'd never look at it that way. There might be a 'leader' and a backup should something happen the leader (ala Thomas in last year's TdF). Otherwise it's not really a pecking order. It's more about different lads with different roles. I could see Eddie being the one pulling on the early slopes in hilly stages, then finishing comfortably in the grupetto.

It'd be great to think he might get a chance to go in a break, or to try for a stage himself, but Skineos have been so bloody controlled in GTs that its rare enough anyone gets the leeway to even try (though I can think of a few exceptions to that down the years)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

1bryan wrote: »
    ah I'd never look at it that way. There might be a 'leader' and a backup should something happen the leader (ala Thomas in last year's TdF). Otherwise it's not really a pecking order. It's more about different lads with different roles. I could see Eddie being the one pulling on the early slopes in hilly stages, then finishing comfortably in the grupetto.

It'd be great to think he might get a chance to go in a break, or to try for a stage himself, but Skineos have been so bloody controlled in GTs that its rare enough anyone gets the leeway to even try (though I can think of a few exceptions to that down the years)

Best hope might be that the team's GC ambitions evaporate reasonably early on. You'd like to see them go stage hunting - best way to do that is to play numerous cards rather than trying to get a specific guy up the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Best hope might be that the team's GC ambitions evaporate reasonably early on. You'd like to see them go stage hunting - best way to do that is to play numerous cards rather than trying to get a specific guy up the road.

I actually think this is the way it will play out. None of those younger lads have the legs yet for a 3 week GT GC assault.

• Advertisement
Advertisement